PDA

View Full Version : HotBoat.com....Where it all Started!

GRADS
12-29-2013, 11:26 AM
What is your earliest HotBoat.com memory?

Mine is from over a decade ago! :yikes: I found Hotboat.com (maybe .net at the time) in late 2001 or 2002 by doing an internet search for "Hot Boats" because back then that is what I called all boats that went over 60 m.p.h. and had a loud V-8 in them. At the time I owned an 18' SeaRay and figured I had no business posting with the guys that had the big boy boats. ;)....BTW, If any current members feel this way, start posting....don't be afraid or intimidated. We all share the love of boats no matter if it's a SeaRay or Cigarette.

I actually signed up for a screen name in early 2003 (grads2112) and only posted a few well thought out questions about Eliminators because that's what I was looking to upgrade to.

Shortly after that the filter from my brain to my fingertips broke and well, the rest is history....but that's "Where it all Started" for me.:thumbup:

Napanutt
12-29-2013, 11:50 AM
I got my first boat (a jet boat of all things) in 2001. Saw someone at Lake berryessa with a boat that had Lake havasu as his home city. Did a search, found a couple forums regarding boats.
Hot boat intimidated me what with all the people that posted a lot and they all seemed like they knew each other so I started posting on Havasu Dougs forum. Seemed a lot less intimidating, but also a lot less frequented.
We actually went to Havasu in 02 or 03 thinking of participating in the OP6 thing but chickened out because of the stories of big water on the lake and shit.

GRADS
12-29-2013, 01:02 PM
Hot boat intimidated me what with all the people that posted a lot and they all seemed like they knew each other so I started posting on Havasu Dougs forum.

Funny because I think most first time posters feel that way. Are a bunch of drunk boaters really that intimidating? ;)

Sharp shooter
12-29-2013, 01:14 PM
I joined HotBoat sometime around 2002 under the name v-drive video. There were several of us back then with multiple alias's that we all shared the passwords for, but that's another story.:D

lemon13
12-29-2013, 01:14 PM
my earliest memory with hotboat is about 7 weeks ago when i was searching for a 240 Hallett to buy and stumbled upon one on Hotboat. i ended up buying it and i think i got a great deal. i can't wait to get it out more then just the test drive. since then i have been on this site almost every day. everybody seems very cool and i really like checking out all the pictures and videos.29479

go4broke
12-29-2013, 01:28 PM
My earliest memory is an engine cover thread last wednesday. Boy, those were the days!

HB Vic
12-29-2013, 01:37 PM
My earliest memory is an engine cover thread last wednesday. Boy, those were the days!

Lol, in 10 years it will be old school :D

GRADS
12-29-2013, 01:38 PM
You know, that's what makes this place great... old and new posters.:thumbup:

Paul65K
12-29-2013, 01:51 PM
I actually was posting (very little) on the old HB back in the day and then checked out for a while.....when I came back looking for it one day.....it was gone!

I was Googeling for info on Schiadas one day and found another boating site that eventually led me here. I've been hanging out with a bunch of the folks here for a number of years now in various places.

I agree that meeting and hanging out with folks in person changes things, not only cuz you think twice about what you say but I think even more importantly you have a much better feel for when someone is just having fun with you vs. just taking shots!!

Thanks Vic and everyone else for keeping this a cool place to hang out!!

Zander
12-29-2013, 01:58 PM
My first HotBoat memory was quite bad actually!
Couldnt register cuz I was not american, the anti-bot filter thought I was a russian virus or something like that lol
However, the HotBoat staff fixed it for me :partyguy:

Eli
12-29-2013, 02:26 PM
My first memory is the Catalina Ski Races 2013 when I met two hot chicks...Wendi and Renee, on the back of a tailgate. WMC got me a shot of sweaty balls and made me a drink and he didn't even know who I was. I felt so welcomed and thought...these people can party like rock stars. It was love at first bite :D

Sent from my Bat Cave

78Southwind
12-29-2013, 08:09 PM
I found the sites realjetboats and the classicboatbeachbash first which ended up leading me to Hotboat. I think my first post might have been a question about purchasing a new starter. I signed up on HB around 02 or 03 and mostly hung out in just jets. Also i convinced a buddy of mine that moved to Sweden to share the cost of the pay HB site. Him and i both grew up on boats. He was so home sick seeing all the cool boats and lifestyle he moved to Lake Havasu. Lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

ChumpChange
12-29-2013, 08:24 PM
I can't even remember that long ago. Sometime in 2004 though. First forum I ever signed up for.

GRADS
12-29-2013, 10:39 PM
WMC got me a shot of sweaty balls and made me a drink and he didn't even know who I was.

You can't tell me that's your first sweaty ball shot from someone you just met. :yikes:

Tishimself
12-29-2013, 10:57 PM
I got started young. really young. My first memories of the river and boats were at the races at I believe Parker. My folks were camping right next to the river and I remember being VERY young and watching the race. Later my dad bought a cheetah with a 100hp merc on the back and we loved that boat. But we out grew it fast. Dad sold it and went out and bought us an eliminator 20' daycruiser with a 460 in it and a Berkeley jet. great boat, we LOVED it. skied our asses off behind it. We did crazy horse, Macintyres south of Blythe, some place with cartoon charactors all over the place, as well as every skiable lake from Silverwood to Shasta. Whiskeytown, Nacimiento, everywhere. Our good friends, the Christians, were our next door neighbors and they joined us in the boating thing. YOU may remember Christians farmers market off Imperial at the 91, they owned that. They now own Boars head beef down south. After I grew up, I had a hallett 21', sold it and went in with the folks on a sport nautique ski boat, (we had a home in Arrowhead those years) sold it and bought the vector and ran it up there for a long time, and sold that and now have the lightning.....I think the lightning is my first REAL hotboat...never ran anything with this kind of power....kind of intimidated by it till I learn to drive it better. I started with HB in what? 2006?? ish??

thatguy
12-29-2013, 11:22 PM
I signed up on HB a couple years before it folded.
I have fond memories of harassing "triple digits" without mercy about his stingray death trap.
I actually got banned like 3 times in a row for posting the Grads &-:$ sucking emoticon.
Then poof, it was gone.

I post on all the sites, one has by far the best tech sections, one is strictly to screw with TB, and my political rants are known to most on the other sites.

I have never been banned or infracted since the original HB, somehow.

Jefftowz
12-30-2013, 09:39 AM
My first memory of Hot Boat was walking into a friends shop (Kenny, aka Trim man) (RIP). I think that was his screen name, and he had it up on his computer, went home and signed up....

28eliminator
12-30-2013, 10:16 AM
my earliest memory with hotboat is about 7 weeks ago when i was searching for a 240 Hallett to buy and stumbled upon one on Hotboat. i ended up buying it and i think i got a great deal. i can't wait to get it out more then just the test drive. since then i have been on this site almost every day. everybody seems very cool and i really like checking out all the pictures and videos.29479

Welcome!!

Nice boat. And nice people you bought it from :)

Sent from somewhere on the water

wolfie
12-30-2013, 12:11 PM
When the wife and I decided to get back into boats in 2005, I was doing a lot of internet searches. Like 78Southwind, I came across CCCB and Southwindjetboat.com. It led me to HotBoat.com. SWJBs.com was a site run by my cousin's kid. HB got me in touch with both my cousin's kids, with whom we lost track of after moving a lot with work.

Eli
12-30-2013, 01:33 PM
You can't tell me that's your first sweaty ball shot from someone you just met. :yikes:

That wasn't...people pass that crap around like they don't wanna drink it themselves

Sent from my Bat Cave

AZKC
12-30-2013, 02:09 PM
I started on HB when it was a pay site and had an online magazine, late 90's, I'm pretty sure.

lemon13
12-30-2013, 10:00 PM
Thank you. Yes, he was a cool guy and really easy to deal with. I am headed out there to take it out New Year's Day. I hope the weather is good.
Welcome!!

Nice boat. And nice people you bought it from :)

GotHalos
12-30-2013, 10:28 PM
I'm a local now.

SBS933
12-30-2013, 10:52 PM
I just subscribed to Hotboat magazine.

HB Vic
12-30-2013, 11:01 PM

Lol ...

Napanutt
12-30-2013, 11:19 PM

Hot boat has a….

uh, never mind.

mrs.daytona
12-30-2013, 11:20 PM
Hot boat has a….

uh, never mind.

Are you off this week or something? Lots of posts from NapaNutt this evening...:)

Napanutt
12-30-2013, 11:47 PM
Are you off this week or something? Lots of posts from NapaNutt this evening...:)

Put the wife to bed, ate dinner, got enough vodka to get me through until tomorrow. Thanks for inquiring. :D

28eliminator
12-30-2013, 11:57 PM
Had the magazine for the last 20 years or so... Didn't know there was a website/forum site until about a year ago :)