PDA

View Full Version : My Possem problem...

rvrmom
12-26-2013, 05:27 PM
So a couple months ago in the middle of the night I heard this scratching noise in the house and it was loud. Long story short there was a possem under the house and it was scratching the bathtub. Scared the shit out of me.

I find a 'crawl' space. It is like maybe 8 to 10 inches wide so no human can get under the house. About two weeks ago Dad ordered me a trap. He comes over and we set the trap up.. practiced a couple times. Set up the food.. About 8:00 ish I heard a SNAP!!! Got him. Text'd Dad.. we got him LOL

So Dad comes over to release him and what a cluster... So we take the cage over to a ravin (sp). As we were driving over he said you going to do this next time..right? I said well that will be determined as to how well this goes . LOL... I highly doubt it though.,

OMFG. So we practiced the set up... not so much the release. So when he finally get's the cage open. he has to shake this SOB out. I'm am dying.. dying laughing. I said If I catch another there is no way in fucking hell I'm doing this LMAO

So fast forward to today. Dad wanted me to put the cage in the garage. I'm cleaning up all the Christmas aftermath and thought... oh I gotta put the cage in the garage. Guess what's in the cage:angry-smiley-018:

I'm gonna video this shit tomorrow for sure LOL

Sharp shooter
12-26-2013, 06:05 PM
I heard a small crash last week late at night. The dogs didn't bark much and with my knee being jacked up I didn't feel like investigating. The next day my wife discovered this guy and snapped this pic. He was alive, but with the ladder removed he still couldn't move much. He sure was pissed though...We had animal control take him away.

https://scontent-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/p480x480/1426572_10202911323453316_395518628_n.jpg

Stainless
12-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Laughing! :D

Did you catch another one today Rvrmom?

CH3NO2

gn7
12-26-2013, 06:21 PM
I don't know what is going on with the possums and raccoons, but I have caught more of them in the passed 18 months than in all the time I have owned my house. I see way more road kill as well.
First thing I learned was, that you can catch 1, or 100 of the sumbitchs, and animal control would have anything to do with them. Unless like in Shooters case it is badly injured. But in a trap? Forget it. They don't even care to hear you trapped one.

So you have no choice but to do as rvrmom did, and take it somewhere and release it.
Killing a possum or raccoon is highly frowned upon.

Not exactly sure why mice, rats and gophers are fair game, but they are.

Ziggy
12-26-2013, 06:26 PM
The Opossum got shaken loose in the Ravine. :)

From my POS T-mobile thingie

GRADS
12-26-2013, 06:29 PM
Is a possem like a possy or something or do you mean opossum? ;)

gn7
12-26-2013, 06:33 PM
Is a possem like a possy or something or do you mean opossum? ;)

Were you born in a cave to some Neanderthals? An O what???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possum

Ziggy
12-26-2013, 07:01 PM
Were you born in a cave to some Neanderthals? An O what???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possum

Very first thing it says there is:
For the Western Hemisphere marsupial, see opossum.
Possums are in other parts of the world. We all say possum too just to confuse ourselves further. Lol

HB Vic
12-26-2013, 07:07 PM
I hear they're good eatin 😁

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Stainless
12-26-2013, 07:16 PM
I hear they're good eatin 😁

Have you ever seen one crawl out of a dead cows rear end? :p

CH3NO2

niceguyeddie
12-26-2013, 07:24 PM
I heard a small crash last week late at night. The dogs didn't bark much and with my knee being jacked up I didn't feel like investigating. The next day my wife discovered this guy and snapped this pic. He was alive, but with the ladder removed he still couldn't move much. He sure was pissed though...We had animal control take him away.

https://scontent-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/p480x480/1426572_10202911323453316_395518628_n.jpg

Haha!

I get them in my back patio area and an occasional raccoon. My dog can be upstairs sleeping, then wake up in the middle of the night, howl and bark all the way down the stairs, get to the back yard and sure as shit it will be a possum. Pretty funny. My neighbor has two shitty little dogs that bark all the time so I just let my dog express himself until he's done. :)

Eli
12-26-2013, 07:29 PM
Rvrmom you're full of interesting stories! That's too funny!

Sent from my Bat Cave

gn7
12-26-2013, 07:54 PM
Possums are in other parts of the world. We all say possum too just to confuse ourselves further. Lol
Same people that use words like towmater.

I hear they're good eatin ��

Grannie called em possums, and she could whip up some fine fiddles with one of them critters.

gn7
12-26-2013, 08:05 PM
Have you ever seen one crawl out of a dead cows rear end? :p

Seen a live rhino give birth to a man once. That's pretty close:tongue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh2iyPmucFk

ChumpChange
12-26-2013, 08:16 PM
Two .22 rounds into the head won't even kill one. Those are some tuff SOBs.....

Stainless
12-26-2013, 08:23 PM
Two .22 rounds into the head won't even kill one. Those are some tuff SOBs.....

Yea, they just play possum.

Bench race driver of the NHRA 16X Castrol GTX Mustang

rvrmom
12-26-2013, 08:38 PM

This is the last part of the story. So.. I have been on the Christmas bender.. Mom's Duffy, Dad's house, my house and back to Mom's over the past couple day's. I was gonna go to the movies today with Dad but I'm spent. So when I went out to get the cage to put in the garage and saw the new possem. I thought shit this thing could be dead LOL!!.

So I grabbed a long stick and hit the cage hard and it moved. Awesome.. That's when I placed the call to Dad saying you need to come over again.

He is not thrilled LOL...

Tomorrow will be really funny.

ChumpChange
12-26-2013, 08:40 PM

Yup. Found it had crawled out of the trash bag the next day and was still laying there breathing. A concrete breaker bar fixed that..........

gn7
12-26-2013, 09:18 PM

Yup. Found it had crawled out of the trash bag the next day and was still laying there breathing. A concrete breaker bar fixed that..........

The next sound you hear is PITA knocking at the door. Geez Mateo, don't you know that even cockroaches and termites are protected and have rights?

ChumpChange
12-26-2013, 09:29 PM
The next sound you hear is PITA knocking at the door. Geez Mateo, don't you know that even cockroaches and termites are protected and have rights?

It was a mercy thing. The dog started the damage.

gn7
12-26-2013, 09:36 PM
I just roast the sumbitches on the barby during a "no burn day" and tell them its a need to survive thing, and then invite the tree hugger to dinner,

Wheeler
12-26-2013, 10:55 PM
Is a possem like a possy or something or do you mean opossum?

It all depends if it's on a leash or on a plate. In Hawaii possem is only second to Spam. ;)

gn7
12-26-2013, 11:19 PM
It all depends if it's on a leash or on a plate. In Hawaii possem is only second to Spam. ;)
Common street pigeon must be a close running 3rd.

Wheeler
12-26-2013, 11:34 PM
Common street pigeon must be a close running 3rd.

Yet they have no couth. At least the Frogs call it Squab. ;)

ptc
12-27-2013, 10:16 AM
Possom problem???? catch and release - WTF????

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4983194066289897&pid=15.1

NO PROBLEM......

Tinkerer
12-28-2013, 11:42 AM
You need a more powerfull 22.
One shot from mine and it was all over.
shot two of them this summer.
Wood chucks and rabbits don't live long either.
Got one fox for sure and possible another also. ( Havn't seen the possible since the 300 Ft shot )
I have small dogs that would be lunch for a fox.

2manymustangs
12-28-2013, 12:10 PM
So a couple months ago in the middle of the night I heard this scratching noise in the house and it was loud. Long story short there was a possem under the house and it was scratching the bathtub. Scared the shit out of me.

I find a 'crawl' space. It is like maybe 8 to 10 inches wide so no human can get under the house. About two weeks ago Dad ordered me a trap. He comes over and we set the trap up.. practiced a couple times. Set up the food.. About 8:00 ish I heard a SNAP!!! Got him. Text'd Dad.. we got him LOL

So Dad comes over to release him and what a cluster... So we take the cage over to a ravin (sp). As we were driving over he said you going to do this next time..right? I said well that will be determined as to how well this goes . LOL... I highly doubt it though.,

OMFG. So we practiced the set up... not so much the release. So when he finally get's the cage open. he has to shake this SOB out. I'm am dying.. dying laughing. I said If I catch another there is no way in fucking hell I'm doing this LMAO

So fast forward to today. Dad wanted me to put the cage in the garage. I'm cleaning up all the Christmas aftermath and thought... oh I gotta put the cage in the garage. Guess what's in the cage:angry-smiley-018:

I'm gonna video this shit tomorrow for sure LOL

This is a 100% true story, my uncle lives pretty close to forest park (st louis metro area) and he would catch squirrels in a live trap constantly... He is retired and has nothing but time on his hands so he would drive over to forest park and turn the vermin loose... but after somewhere around #30 or #40 he got tired of the trip to the park... he no longer has his dachshund dog that would catch them and eat them so he had to come up with a better plan bcuz the squirrels destroy his tomato plants...

He found a cardboard box that just fits over the metal cage and put a shop vac hose into the box, puts the other end in the tailpipe of his car and lets them have five minutes of car exhaust fumes, game over... Puts them in a plastic shopping bag and drops them in his trashcan... :shock: he quit counting after he passed the 150 squirrel mark and his neighborhood is STILL crawling with the little bastards...

As for the "POSSUMS", I hear they taste like chicken... ;)

You need a more powerfull 22.
One shot from mine and it was all over.
shot two of them this summer.
Wood chucks and rabbits don't live long either.
Got one fox for sure and possible another also. ( Havn't seen the possible since the 300 Ft shot )
I have small dogs that would be lunch for a fox.

17HMR is really hell on them... My .22 benjamin pellet rifle does them in too...

Tinkerer
12-28-2013, 07:57 PM
I have a 1100 FPS .17 pellet rifle but it won't drop a wood chuck or opossum. For those I haul out the 22 LR. I use the pellet rifle on the chip monks, the squirrels that won't stay out of the bird feeders and the rabbits that won't stay out of my flower beds.

ptc
12-28-2013, 08:51 PM
Squirrel Launching is the fix for them problems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5-d3rZZ-_M&feature=player_detailpage