PDA

View Full Version : Boating a Half Century Ago.......

CampbellCarl
11-10-2012, 05:26 PM
My Pops sent me home with about 900 slides of family adventures. I'm slowly converting them to digital versions (pain in the ass by the way). This is how it used to be done.....

GotHalos
11-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Nice! That's how you do it, thanks for sharing. Always a pleasure to see how it was done back in the day! What are you using to convert them?

CampbellCarl
11-10-2012, 05:41 PM
Nice! That's how you do it, thanks for sharing. Always a pleasure to see how it was done back in the day! What are you using to convert them?

Something called a SVP Filmscanner. Plugs into computer. Little tray with cover that you place each slide into (3 at a time) then slide the tray thru the converter dealio. At each image, press the button on top and it scans into the computer as a jpg into the photo library.

The pain in the ass part is that my Pops liked to use the metal slide trays where each slide is mounted to a mini-frame, then placed into the tray. So each slide has to be pulled from the tray, then the mini-frame then inserted into the new converter tray, then flip around the backwards/upside down, then scan, then reverse the entire process.

By the way, pic #3 above is an early Captain Campbell Carl in the boat with Pops along side.

CC

framer1
11-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Great pictures.....love the old days

obnoxious001
11-10-2012, 06:00 PM
By the way, pic #3 above is an early Captain Campbell Carl in the boat with Pops along side.

CC

And the first one is Humphrey Bogart and the African Queen?

rioracr
11-10-2012, 06:13 PM
your Pop teaching ya boating and getting some quality time on the water :cool:

Stainless
11-10-2012, 06:16 PM
Those are neat pictures CC. I enjoy old pictures of everything. This year I had several 8mm tapes converted to digital from my parents and grand parents era. The sound did not transfer because some were over 50 years old.

Wendi
11-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Wow CC that is awesome thank you for sharing :)

CampbellCarl
11-10-2012, 06:26 PM
And the first one is Humphrey Bogart and the African Queen?

My Pops with the catch of the day. Guessing that was fishing on the river at Bullhead City. His boat is the one of the left of the pic.......the "Fiskeren" Fish getter in Danish.

CC

GoFastRacer
11-11-2012, 06:59 AM
That's some cool stuff there..

CampbellCarl
11-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Just noticed that the power upgrade to the Fiskeren is shown in the pix. Boat started out as a 15' plywood boat built in San Pedro CA.. Original power was a 12 hp Hyawatha outboard. Soon, Pops added a second 12 hp Hyawatha (shown in pic #2). Then the real upgrade.....he sold the 2-12's and hung a 35 Mercury on the stern! Think about it in percent of increase....24 to 35! HaHa!

I can recall being out fishing/boating back to about 5 or 6 years of age.......Bullhead City and/or Cottonwood Cove.

CC

Mitch
11-12-2012, 08:24 AM
Fishing 50 years ago ..:

11-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Cool pics Carl.

WMC
09-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Cool pics

doubleeagle
09-13-2013, 08:32 AM
Here are a couple from our family alblum. Will get up some more later

icb1
09-13-2013, 10:20 AM
Cool flashbacks.....

Paul65K
09-13-2013, 02:29 PM
Carl.....not only did you guys have twin Outboards.....but you actually had a paper towel holder on the boat......how freakin' cool was that:smilies_mit_hut002:

doubleeagle
09-13-2013, 04:13 PM
CC I should have asked to post in your tread. I am sorry if I stepped over a line. I get excited about the old shit. Its history and it takes me back to a happier time If you don't have a problem give me a happy face wave or a thumbs up other wise Ill leave this to you and Ill post up a little later under a different title

09-13-2013, 04:40 PM
CC I should have asked to post in your tread. I am sorry if I stepped over a line. I get excited about the old shit. Its history and it takes me back to a happier time If you don't have a problem give me a happy face wave or a thumbs up other wise Ill leave this to you and Ill post up a little later under a different title

I’m sure he’s cool with it but I seriously doubt he’ll post here saying so because he’s afraid it’ll tarnish his internet status elsewhere. :biggrin:

Very cool pictures. :thumbup:

2FORCEFULL
09-13-2013, 04:43 PM
I’m sure he’s cool with it but I seriously doubt he’ll post here saying so because he’s afraid it’ll tarnish his internet status elsewhere. :biggrin:

lol...cool pics

doubleeagle
09-13-2013, 04:59 PM

I don,t understand what that means I post on a number of different sites and Carl has commented on my posts a number of times. I was concerned he had more to post and I did,nt want to step on his thread. I think Carl is a class act and I doubt he would have to worry about tarnishing his internet status no matter what site we are on.

09-13-2013, 05:34 PM
I don,t understand what that means I post on a number of different sites and Carl has commented on my posts a number of times. I was concerned he had more to post and I did,nt want to step on his thread. I think Carl is a class act and I doubt he would have to worry about tarnishing his internet status no matter what site we are on.

I know CC myself and yes he’s an OK Joe. Since he hasn’t posted here in almost a year I was just doing a little fishing.

I don’t think he would mind one bit if you posted pictures in his thread and I know some of the members here including myself would love to see them, so if you have more please post away.

doubleeagle
09-13-2013, 06:34 PM
Well know I really feel like a ass. I guess I should look at the dates. It showed up as a new post but it was someone who posted a comment on a old thread. I jump to the conclusion that this was a comment based on the circus that has been going on in a couple different sites. Sir I am sorry I was hoping somebody I knew from a different site was over here and I was going to slide in under the radar so to speak. I have a shit pot of old pics that Ill post up as I can. Here are a couple more just for shits and gigles

2manymustangs
09-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Hey Capn Carl, very cool pictures there sir... Is the little guy YOU??? :action-smiley-035:

Sharp shooter
09-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Priceless pics Carl! (and DoubleEagle) I use something like this for negatives, slides and pics. Well worth the couple hundy.

http://www.jrlinton.co.uk/images/products/zoom/1373447982-48172300.jpg

GotHalos
09-13-2013, 06:48 PM
Well know I really feel like a ass. I guess I should look at the dates. It showed up as a new post but it was someone who posted a comment on a old thread. I jump to the conclusion that this was a comment based on the circus that has been going on in a couple different sites. Sir I am sorry I was hoping somebody I knew from a different site was over here and I was going to slide in under the radar so to speak. I have a shit pot of old pics that Ill post up as I can. Here are a couple more just for shits and gigles

Very cool, post away! Welcome to Hotboat.com BTW :thumbup:

Slacker
09-13-2013, 10:19 PM
Damn near the time I first drove a boat,,1965. My Uncles Chris Craft.