PDA

View Full Version : Electrical help please

McRib
12-22-2013, 01:46 PM
In my kitchen at our new to us place I have 4 plugs on the same wall. All 4 are dead. Ive pulled the plugs out and have tested the wires from the bare side and nothin. Breakers are all in the on position and everything in the house works put these 4 plugs. One plug is new and the other 3 look original to this old house. Idk what to do but replace the old plugs with new ones. Ive pulled two off completely and have bare wire now. Ive tested these bare wires and have no juice.

Ideas? Btw. Wife was using the toaster when the plugs failed.

RVRKID
12-22-2013, 01:52 PM
Do you have a GFCI plug that needs to be reset, maybe in the bathroom?

hoofy
12-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Any plugs close to the kitchen with ground tripped

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Ziggy
12-22-2013, 01:56 PM
LOL....DeJaVu again.:t_lowblow:
I answered at the other place you asked....

McRib
12-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Do you have a GFCI plug that needs to be reset, maybe in the bathroom?

Checked that and its good

McRib
12-22-2013, 02:00 PM
Any plugs close to the kitchen with ground tripped

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Ive checked everything I can find with my limited knowledge

ChumpChange
12-22-2013, 02:22 PM
Just because the breakers are at the on position does not mean they're on. Switch each one off and back on. Sometimes the easiest fix is the fix.

HB Vic
12-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Could be a bad breaker. I would flip them off then back on and make sir they don't feel sloppy.

Sharp shooter
12-22-2013, 02:44 PM
In my kitchen at our new to us place I have 4 plugs on the same wall. All 4 are dead. Ive pulled the plugs out and have tested the wires from the bare side and nothin. Breakers are all in the on position and everything in the house works put these 4 plugs. One plug is new and the other 3 look original to this old house. Idk what to do but replace the old plugs with new ones. Ive pulled two off completely and have bare wire now. Ive tested these bare wires and have no juice.

Ideas? Btw. Wife was using the toaster when the plugs failed.

I just asked my father in law what he thinks since he's an electrician.

He says there could be as many as 12 outlets on the same circuit and that it only takes one bad one to kill all of them.

McRib
12-22-2013, 02:51 PM
I just asked my father in law what he thinks since he's an electrician.

He says there could be as many as 12 outlets on the same circuit and that it only takes one bad one to kill all of them.

There are only these four on this bank. Went into the breaker panel and fucked with all the breakers. They are labled wrong and a lil sloppy. I found one that was stuck between on and tripped. Cleaned it up, replaced the 30 yr old plugs just for shits and giggles and I'm good to go now. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Unforgiven
12-22-2013, 02:52 PM
I was an Electrician in my prior life (before I took the managment job) first..go to your panel an reset the breakers..they should snap back firmly..Cycle the breakers about 3 times...if 1 reset feels"mushy" that could be your problem...next go into your garage...many houses will have a GFI in the garage as the first recep before the circuit continues into the house..go and TRIP it and then reset...same thing for the bathroom recp...trip then reset...kitcken counters usually have 2 circuits....should be GFI close to the sink...if you still can't find it..pm me we'll get on the phone and go from there...Eddie

BTW..most Kitchen and appliance circuits are 20 amp...rest of circuits are 15 amp...

Ziggy
12-22-2013, 03:13 PM
I was an Electrician in my prior life (before I took the managment job) first..go to your panel an reset the breakers..they should snap back firmly..Cycle the breakers about 3 times...if 1 reset feels"mushy" that could be your problem...next go into your garage...many houses will have a GFI in the garage as the first recep before the circuit continues into the house..go and TRIP it and then reset...same thing for the bathroom recp...trip then reset...kitcken counters usually have 2 circuits....should be GFI close to the sink...if you still can't find it..pm me we'll get on the phone and go from there...Eddie

BTW..most Kitchen and appliance circuits are 20 amp...rest of circuits are 15 amp...

A 30 yr old house is lucky to have gfi's

From my POS T-mobile thingie

McRib
12-22-2013, 03:18 PM

A 30 yr old house is lucky to have gfi's

From my POS T-mobile thingie

Lol. There is only one GFI in the house and until recently all the plugs were 2 prong only. No 3rd hole. All I know is its all good and working now. :) eddie I'll keep you in mind for further problems above my pay grade. ;)

niceguyeddie
12-22-2013, 04:07 PM
My porch light stopped working and I couldn't figure it out I even went and reset all the GFIs in my house. Turned out my master bath gfi went bad. I haven't plugged anything into it for awhile, but figured it worked. ... Well I was wrong, grab a tester and check yours.

ChumpChange
12-22-2013, 04:19 PM
My hallway light went out about a month ago and I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I flipped the switch over and over and it just would not turn on. I check the breaker and it was fine. Finally, after about a month of chasing the problem, I finally changed the lightbulb. Turned out that was the issue.

niceguyeddie
12-22-2013, 04:39 PM
My hallway light went out about a month ago and I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I flipped the switch over and over and it just would not turn on. I check the breaker and it was fine. Finally, after about a month of chasing the problem, I finally changed the lightbulb. Turned out that was the issue.

Changing a lightbulb is a serious task. Did you call in a licensed professional?

ChumpChange
12-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Changing a lightbulb is a serious task. Did you call in a licensed professional?

No and it backfired. A neighbor heard I was changing the bulb and called the AQMD on me. Since I didn't pull the proper permit, they dropped the hammer on me. Had to have aesbestos and lead testing on the fixture. Turned a weekend project into a month long ordeal.

Riversparky
12-22-2013, 08:55 PM

I would have suggested the same thing you told him.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

2FORCEFULL
12-22-2013, 08:59 PM
There are only these four on this bank. Went into the breaker panel and fucked with all the breakers. They are labled wrong and a lil sloppy. I found one that was stuck between on and tripped. Cleaned it up, replaced the 30 yr old plugs just for shits and giggles and I'm good to go now. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

look in the garage for the gfi

niceguyeddie
12-22-2013, 09:06 PM
No and it backfired. A neighbor heard I was changing the bulb and called the AQMD on me. Since I didn't pull the proper permit, they dropped the hammer on me. Had to have aesbestos and lead testing on the fixture. Turned a weekend project into a month long ordeal.

Those Claremont residents sure put together a great neighborhood "rat" program.

ChumpChange
12-22-2013, 09:35 PM
Those Claremont residents sure put together a great neighborhood "rat" program.

Try cutting down one of your trees here and see what happens! That is the ultimate offense!