PDA

View Full Version : Brett's Rogue wave video for the day....

Tishimself
12-19-2013, 09:20 PM
I always find these video's fascinating to watch, when they surface. Sailors have reported for centuries about encountering gigantic waves far out at sea and were told there was no such thing by ship owners and ship builders. That all came to and end with this photo.

For the first time, they had a wave that could be measured against a fixed object and a fixed height. This photo made a LOT of peoples blood run cold, it's a fucking massive wave. What makes it rogue? Because it is freakishly large compared to the rest of the sea state. If all the other waves are in the 10 meter range, this can be measured out to be 30-40 meters. 90-120 feet high. So here is one I came across, fairly new, of a ship encountering a rogue wave, this one is an easy 90+foot wave. These guys got lucky....real lucky....take a look..a.fter it over, everyone voices the concern...you can hear it.....

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=986_1270335172

As a result of the knowledge that these waves do exist, shipbuilding has changed dramatically...with gigantic bows placed forward of an armored bridge and forward structure, Queen Mary 2 was the first ship built with the new style bow. In this pic, you can see the deflector wall atop the bow for those rare moments she buries her tip...rare, but it has happened....

Sharp shooter
12-19-2013, 10:52 PM
Amazing how big some of those waves are! Sometimes they come out of nowhere.

Tishimself
12-20-2013, 12:11 AM
Amazing how big some of those waves are! Sometimes they come out of nowhere.

Which is exactly why it took so long to get anyone to believe they existed. Hard to accept that in a sea of 30' waves, a 90' foot wave could just "suddenly" appear.....until that picture above..that changed everything....

RogerThat99
12-20-2013, 06:45 AM
The section where the wave is breaking before it gets to the boat is amazing. How much freeboard do you think that ship has?

WESTERNAERO
12-20-2013, 09:44 AM
Almost as big as some wake-board boats rollers. :wink2:

Tishimself
12-20-2013, 11:01 AM
The section where the wave is breaking before it gets to the boat is amazing. How much freeboard do you think that ship has?

It's not a large ship. That's obvious. And you can hear the crew's butt's pucker as they go almost straight up the side of the wave....the balancing act going across the top of the wave should have broken the back of the ship and sent it to the bottom. They realize that they dodged a bullet I think...you can hear after they get back to open water....it's as amazing a video as it is terrifying....

314joey
12-20-2013, 12:28 PM
A guy I know down here works on a 80' supply ship out in the Gulf that delivers stuff to the oil rigs, he goes out for three week tours, he tells me you wouldn't believe the chit that comes up out in the open sea and it's just the Gulf, he says it's tons worse in the Atlantic, not me, I freak out when there, 3-5 fters, I'll stay on dry land.

Tishimself
01-06-2014, 10:13 PM
Rogue Wave?? Not too sure. Gigantic wave? Oh yeah. This is what a 40, yes 40 degree roll looks like on a container ship...surprised they did not lose it all over the side...amazing footage...take a look...

North Atlantic 2014

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e56_1389058712

RVRKID
01-06-2014, 11:42 PM
Rogue Wave?? Not too sure. Gigantic wave? Oh yeah. This is what a 40, yes 40 degree roll looks like on a container ship...surprised they did not lose it all over the side...amazing footage...take a look...

North Atlantic 2014

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e56_1389058712

That is crazy and No thank you..

McRib
01-07-2014, 08:36 AM
When I was in the Marines I was stationed on a few navy ships during my years for westpac and 3 med cruises. When I was on the uss tarawa in the pacific we went right through a storm that created waves so big we buried the bow/end of the flight deck 3 times in 5 min. It was pretty intense. Lots of sick servicemen and the boat reaked of puke for days. It was awesome!! The violent crashing sound of the steel hull getting beat up was indescribable.

Tishimself
01-07-2014, 09:02 AM
Robby...I was Navy, did two Westpacs and three med cruises.....had a blast...we will have to get together some day and swap some stories.... :-D:-D:-D

P.S. Yeah on the Tarawa burying the bow is awesome...but on the Nimitz....???

AZKC
01-07-2014, 09:51 AM
Never turn your back to the ocean...

2:32PM GMT 07 Jan 2014
At least four people were injured and cars were swept away by an enormous wave that crashed onto the coast of Porto in Portugal.
Spectators were caught off guard as they filmed dramatic waves crashing against a lighthouse at the mouth of the Douro river in Porto.
As a huge wave unexpectedly came crashing over the seafront wall, bystanders and their cars were suddenly engulfed in the swell.
The amateur footage shows panicked onlookers running from the sea, shouting "keep running!", as water continues to flood in over the street.
Cars were dragged and damaged and according to local media four people suffered abrasions as a result of the wave.