PDA

View Full Version : My run in with the Police/Homeland Security

GRADS
12-19-2013, 02:56 PM
As some of you know from my thread I posted on Tuesday I went out for a celebratory paddle on Folsom Lake. There was really no one out there and the water was glass which makes for a great paddle. I put my Santa hat on, strapped the GoPro to my board, jumped on the board and headed out towards the Dam.

Ever since 9/11 Homeland Security and the Police monitor the dam very closely. If for some reason the Dam ever failed or was compromised, thousands if not millions of lives below it could be lost.

Well, I guess I got a little too close for comfort for them on Tuesday. Here is the video I was shooting with the GoPro at the time. The video doesn't do any justice to how really close I actually was. Because I had the waterproof case on the camera you can't really hear much but if you turn it all the way up you can hear them at about the 13 second mark and again at 41 seconds tell me that I'm in a restricted area and basically to get the hell out. So I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1Nw-r0nK1Y

I didn't think much of it at the time....even thought that they probably didn't want to blast Santa with the LRAD.;) It was about a three mile paddle back to where I started from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDPpVmDPJws

As I started getting closer I noticed the PD driving all over the place almost like they were following where I was paddling. :yikes: I knew something was up because this area is usually patrolled by State Park Rangers. Sure enough I was right. No sooner than I pulled up to shore they pulled up to my truck. Keep in mind it was probably an hour and a half after I was at the Dam and it's about a 6 mile drive for them to get where I was at.

First thing the cop says to me is where's the GoPro camera? I guess they had seen it from the top of the Dam.:yikes: I said its in my ice chest. He then asks if I have any weapons on me or in my bag and I said no. Then he asks if he can search my stuff. I'm starting to get nervous at this point because they obviously mean business. I let him do a search. He pulls out the camera and wants to see the footage. The only problem with that is that the battery died on the paddle back. At this point I'm trying to turn on the camera to show him its dead and my hands are shaking so badly that I can barely hold on to the camera...which I felt made me look even more guilty. He's asking me what my purpose for being at the dam was...if I had c-4....etc... All of a sudden it dawns on me that the cop with bomb dog is there and I say "Remember the guy that pulled the bomb/flare out of the lake a couple months ago, that was me"? All of a sudden the mood lightened up as he recognized me. Thank God! Things went a lot smoother after that. Basically told me I can't be pulling this shit that close to the dam unless I want "guys in black vans" to come visit me. Lesson learned....somewhat ;)

You cant see in the video how overwhelming the dam is when you get that close to it. It is impressive!! Here's a screen grab from the video to try and show you how big it really is. I was much closer than it appears in the picture.

HB Vic
12-19-2013, 03:08 PM
Ah Grads....next time they will greet you before you hit the water LOL

Unforgiven
12-19-2013, 03:11 PM
Fucking criminal...are you sure your wife didn't turn you in?

WESTERNAERO
12-19-2013, 03:13 PM
I hope you were still wearing the Santa hat while they were interrogating you.

riverrunner1984
12-19-2013, 03:17 PM
We'll see how much longer they let you Paddle Board on that lake lol.

Eli
Grads, tell them what the cop told you the description of you was…that's the best part!

If you don't stop violating the rules you're gonna get :banned1:

GRADS
I hope you were still wearing the Santa hat while they were interrogating you.

Actually I was! After things settled down, they told me that it went out over the radio that they were looking for a guy with red shirt, red shorts dressed as Santa. They said I was easy to find.

Napanutt
12-19-2013, 03:33 PM
A few years ago we were floating by the damn at Berryessa. Nobody around.
They have warning buoys, then 100 yards or so closer a physical log boom thing. Well we floated a few feet past warning buoys, started engine and pulled back clear of them. Well not more then 10 minutes later sheriff boat cruised up towards us, took a look and kept going. We thought it was a coincidence then. Not do sure now.

Joker
12-19-2013, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the story Grads, now if we were only sitting at a bar listening to U tell it.

niceguyeddie
12-19-2013, 04:36 PM
Actually I was! After things settled down, they told me that it went out over the radio that they were looking for a guy with red shirt, red shorts dressed as Santa. They said I was easy to find.

hahhaha

314joey
12-19-2013, 04:44 PM
If you make it down here to Gitmo by us I'll try and come see you..................well at least boat by and wave..........lol

hbchgirl
12-19-2013, 05:11 PM
Good to know you're not in the clinker... Merry Christmas GRADS!

GRADS
12-19-2013, 05:33 PM
Here I am paddling back with the dam in the distance. It was very peaceful at this point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDPpVmDPJws

Ziggy
12-19-2013, 07:39 PM
I will donate $10 to a grads niece/nephew gift fund if you do it next week again:D:D

From my POS T-mobile thingie

GRADS
12-19-2013, 09:08 PM
I will donate $10 to a grads niece/nephew gift fund if you do it next week again:D:D

From my POS T-mobile thingie

Don't tempt me. Although I'm sure Homeland Security and my wife are monitoring this thread....I hope HS would get to me first. ;)

She's Mine
12-20-2013, 10:55 AM
You fucking maniac! Keep up the good work. Do it again.. come on grow some... LMAO

You are crazy. Glad to call you my friend.

GRADS
12-20-2013, 11:06 AM
Keep up the good work. Do it again.. come on grow some... LMAO.

That was the second time. This was earlier this year and was the first time when they hit me with the LRAD. It was pretty loud. I have a feeling if I go back a third time it will not turn out well for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNB4h_em8r8