PDA

View Full Version : So fast food workers want 15$ an hour?

McRib
12-17-2013, 05:37 PM
McDonald's may have the answer to that right here!
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/18/aqa4a6ar.jpg

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Bobby V
12-17-2013, 05:41 PM
I don't think that machine can cook, clean and hand you your order. I don't use those machines for fast check out in the market either.

2manymustangs
12-17-2013, 06:57 PM
I use them at the supermarket all the time... EXCEPT when my favorite checker is working... :leghump:

Wendi
12-17-2013, 07:21 PM
15.00 wow are they hiring?

Singleton
12-17-2013, 07:50 PM
They have fully automated kitchens already. I gave seen them in action, and if the hourly rate goes north of 12 you will start to see them.

SBS933
12-17-2013, 08:22 PM
I use them at the supermarket all the time... EXCEPT when my favorite checker is working... :leghump: Oh Yeah, The old CHECKER CHECK

2manymustangs
12-17-2013, 08:27 PM
Oh Yeah, The old CHECKER CHECK

:wink2:

Paul65K
12-17-2013, 08:54 PM
$15 an hour is cool........but what good will it be when a Big Mac costs $6 :badidea:

Bobby V
12-17-2013, 09:16 PM
$15 an hour is cool........but what good will it be when a Big Mac costs $6 :badidea:

In n out pays well and their burgers are still about $4

McRib
12-17-2013, 09:21 PM

Thats cause the granddaughter has been keeping her grandparents ways alive. Private owned and not big biz greedy

ChumpChange
12-17-2013, 09:29 PM
I don't think that machine can cook, clean and hand you your order.

Neither can may of the humans there! :D

riverrunner1984
12-18-2013, 08:24 AM
Higher wages = higher prices. Econ 101.
I would gladly order from a machine in order to keep my food cheaper.

Paul65K
12-18-2013, 08:41 AM

While this is a cheeky anecdotal response it really is not based on quantitative data.

We are all aware that in-n-out pays better than say McDonalds as a whole it is also true that the tenure of in-n-out employees is dramatically longer than the average fast food restaurant..........This goes to increased productivity.

It is also true that in-n-out has a much more limited menu..........this goes to increased productivity, less spoilage and lower food costs due to many other factors.

In-n-out locations drive a much higher customer flow per square footage vs. any other FF chain in the entire country......goes to greatly reduced costs as well.

Now I'm sure there are many other things that are different between various FF companies but I can tell you for a fact (personally owning 2 FF restaurants) that labor is approx. 26-30% at our operation and we manage this very closely......if our labor costs were to increase to $15 an hour it would drive our labor costs up ~18% of revenues including all the "fringe" costs involved and we would not have a means of increasing productivity to compensate.

Additionally all of our suppliers (who pay primarily MW) also would have to raise their prices. Insurance costs for Workers Comp would also raise as these are based wages paid......and on and on and on.

Bottom line is that you can't just say "X dos this so everybody should be able to do that......because while it can sometimes be true .........in most cases you just can't know unless you have ALL the facts in evidence when making such statements. :D

2manymustangs
12-18-2013, 08:45 AM
Neither can many of the humans there! :D

LMFAO!!! :lmao1:

Ya know, I like ham & cheese on rye, hoagies, egg salad on rye, even PBJ on toast and I damn sure like MY OWN hamburgers and tacos better than anything that McDonalds/Burger King/Carls/Hardees/ChickFillet/Starbucks/Wendy's/JACK N THE BOX/Subway/Quiznos/Panera can muster up... For 1/4 the price that they currently cost (not to mention the pending price increase)... Fries aren't good for me...

Im trying to transition my kids AWAY from that stuff...

I have to admint, when we go to Cali we do hit IN-N-OUT a few times as a treat...

My grandpa used to tell me "it's not how much you make, it's how much you save"...

Eli
12-18-2013, 09:03 AM
While this is a cheeky anecdotal response it really is not based on quantitative data.

We are all aware that in-n-out pays better than say McDonalds as a whole it is also true that the tenure of in-n-out employees is dramatically longer than the average fast food restaurant..........This goes to increased productivity.

It is also true that in-n-out has a much more limited menu..........this goes to increased productivity, less spoilage and lower food costs due to many other factors.

In-n-out locations drive a much higher customer flow per square footage vs. any other FF chain in the entire country......goes to greatly reduced costs as well.

Now I'm sure there are many other things that are different between various FF companies but I can tell you for a fact (personally owning 2 FF restaurants) that labor is approx. 26-30% at our operation and we manage this very closely......if our labor costs were to increase to $15 an hour it would drive our labor costs up ~18% of revenues including all the "fringe" costs involved and we would not have a means of increasing productivity to compensate.

Additionally all of our suppliers (who pay primarily MW) also would have to raise their prices. Insurance costs for Workers Comp would also raise as these are based wages paid......and on and on and on.

Bottom line is that you can't just say "X dos this so everybody should be able to do that......because while it can sometimes be true .........in most cases you just can't know unless you have ALL the facts in evidence when making such statements. :D

Sure you don't at least have a J.D.? That was better than a lot of attorneys I've seen in court.

papaletch4130
12-18-2013, 09:19 AM
All fast food is gross!!! Dont think they even use real meat anymore!!

HB Vic
12-18-2013, 09:26 AM

Is your real name Job?

I would have just said apples and oranges :D

Paul65K
12-18-2013, 09:29 AM
Is your real name Job?

I would have just said apples and oranges :D

Job as in "get one" or "I don't have one"?? :D

HB Vic
12-18-2013, 09:32 AM
Job as in "get one" or "I don't have one"?? :D

Job as in Jobe :D

28eliminator
12-18-2013, 09:38 AM

In n out starts their employees at about $10 per hour, not $15.

ChumpChange
12-18-2013, 09:38 AM
Well Paul killed this thread! :D

28eliminator
12-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Well Paul killed this thread! :D

Right.. He always screws shit up with facts... :angry-smiley-018:

2manymustangs
12-18-2013, 09:59 AM
The devils advocate... To side in with Paul...

WHile my son and I love IN N OUT and there are several things about their business plan/model that I like... My wife and daughter dont eat there, they dont like it...

AND with the small menu there is nothing at IN N OUT for my wife/daughter... SO, I'm assuming there are many other families out there that suffer the same fate and end up making TWO stops (a second down the street at McDonalts/JackNthebox/Carls to satisfy everyone)...

Because I know that IN N OUT's beef is top shelf and FRESH I would pay more for their burger...

The attitude and appearance of the servers/staff is the deal breaker for me... Some locations of McD. are soooo sloppy and the staff is UNfriendly... Blech... It frosts my balls to hand the cashier my $$$ for warmed up BLECH that I couldn't get my wife/daughter/son to eat at home... And they have a lousy attitude when they serve it up...

I have never had a bad server experience at IN N OUT but the lines can be so long that it's a turn off...

Eli
12-18-2013, 10:11 AM

WHile my son and I love IN N OUT and there are several things about their business plan/model that I like... My wife and daughter dont eat there, they dont like it...

AND with the small menu there is nothing at IN N OUT for my wife/daughter... SO, I'm assuming there are many other families out there that suffer the same fate and end up making TWO stops (a second down the street at McDonalts/JackNthebox/Carls to satisfy everyone)...

Because I know that IN N OUT's beef is top shelf and FRESH I would pay more for their burger...

The attitude and appearance of the servers/staff is the deal breaker for me... Some locations of McD. are soooo sloppy and the staff is UNfriendly... Blech... It frosts my balls to hand the cashier my $$$ for warmed up BLECH that I couldn't get my wife/daughter/son to eat at home... And they have a lousy attitude when they serve it up...

I have never had a bad server experience at IN N OUT but the lines can be so long that it's a turn off...

The probably with your argument is that while everything you said had me seriously thinking...you said "it frosts my balls" and I couldn't stop laughing, so everything after that became blurred. :D

WESTERNAERO
12-18-2013, 10:13 AM
The probably with your argument is that while everything you said had me seriously thinking...you said "it frosts my balls" and I couldn't stop laughing, so everything after that became blurred. :D

I was going to "fix it" for him but it's too early to start that.

2manymustangs
12-18-2013, 10:14 AM

Chaps my azz??? :wink2:

2manymustangs
12-18-2013, 10:17 AM
I was going to "fix it" for him but it's too early to start that.

It's in the Urban Dictionary therefore perfectly legit... :wink2:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=frosts%20my%20balls
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=frosts%20my%20ass

chevellesb406
12-18-2013, 10:20 AM
In n out starts their employees at about $10 per hour, not $15.

They don't stay there, that's for sure, I made more than $10 an hour there in the late 90's. I am pretty sure I would be over $15 if you adjusted for the inflation, etc. Paul broke it down very well about the In N Out business model, but its not like it can just quickly be adopted by any other chain. Its an entire company culture, the average tenure of an employee won't instantly come to 3 years as opposed to what the industry average is over night. As I have said before, I have no problem with someone in FF getting that kind of money, but if I owned a restaurant and was paying that, pretty much everyone that would have already worked there would be out of a job and I would get the cream of the crop from the local high school and college. Its the people that make INO successful. Everyone knows that there are 100 other kids that want your job, so if an internal motivation to do whatever you do to the best of your ability isn't there, good old fashioned supply and demand will kick your butt into high gear if you want to keep the best gig in town. I hope if I have kids one day they will at least work a year or 2 at a store to learn about great company culture and "how" to work, and work well with others.

Tishimself
12-18-2013, 10:51 AM
First, Paul, you said you own two franchises? Which ones sir?

Second, these are not meant, nor have they ever been meant, to be careers. They are high school kids jobs. I worked at a Carl's Jr. during high school and it sucked balls. then I went to Pizza hut, and it was worse. How anyone can even begin to consider that a long term vocation is beyond my feeble brains ability to comprehend. Which brings me to In 'n Out. I love them I do. For a variety of reasons. first, nothing says river trip to me like a double double on the way out of town before we hit the freeway. Before that, it was Worlds best off the 91 at Imperial...anyone remember that place? With the picnic tables out there...good Lord they made a great burger...but they are long gone. Back to In n Out. It's the people. Period. They don't hire just anyone, they hire kids with their shit in one sock. good, clean cut, all American kids with good helpful personalities, with a desire to serve and help. The people make the place, not the food. Well, maybe the food also..LOL...but you can go to any In n Out and find the same caliber of kids working there, and that is what brings folks back. As Paul knows, all In n Out's are privately held, to my knowledge they do not offer franchises, which lets them keep things pretty much the way they want them to be. No dumbass franchisee's to deal with. This is a winning combination, as can be viewed by massive lines at the drive through no matter where the location may be. People recognize and seek out quality. Raising the wage to 15 might not dent In n Out too much...but everyone else will pass the costs on through the food. A seven dollar big mac? Never.

Personally, they can wish in one hand and shit in the other, see which one fills faster. They will never get 15 bucks an hour, no one will allow it, there is no real support for it. this is a union push for members by promising something to them that is not realistically attainable. To me, 15 an hour will never happen. The folks who think they can have a career and raise a family as I have seen on the reports, are delusional. It will never happen. My double double is out there somewhere, and all this burger talk has me thinking road trip. I'm out.

thatguy
12-18-2013, 11:00 AM

Bruce, just get on board and do like everyone else that ain't happy...sue the franchise to put other stuff on the menu!!

Sounds like discrimination against the wife and daughter to me.......I'll PM you Eli's number.....

chevellesb406
12-18-2013, 11:03 AM

Second, these are not meant, nor have they ever been meant, to be careers. They are high school kids jobs. I worked at a Carl's Jr. during high school and it sucked balls. then I went to Pizza hut, and it was worse. How anyone can even begin to consider that a long term vocation is beyond my feeble brains ability to comprehend. Which brings me to In 'n Out. I love them I do. For a variety of reasons. first, nothing says river trip to me like a double double on the way out of town before we hit the freeway. Before that, it was Worlds best off the 91 at Imperial...anyone remember that place? With the picnic tables out there...good Lord they made a great burger...but they are long gone. Back to In n Out. It's the people. Period. They don't hire just anyone, they hire kids with their shit in one sock. good, clean cut, all American kids with good helpful personalities, with a desire to serve and help. The people make the place, not the food. Well, maybe the food also..LOL...but you can go to any In n Out and find the same caliber of kids working there, and that is what brings folks back. As Paul knows, all In n Out's are privately held, to my knowledge they do not offer franchises, which lets them keep things pretty much the way they want them to be. No dumbass franchisee's to deal with. This is a winning combination, as can be viewed by massive lines at the drive through no matter where the location may be. People recognize and seek out quality. Raising the wage to 15 might not dent In n Out too much...but everyone else will pass the costs on through the food. A seven dollar big mac? Never.

Personally, they can wish in one hand and shit in the other, see which one fills faster. They will never get 15 bucks an hour, no one will allow it, there is no real support for it. this is a union push for members by promising something to them that is not realistically attainable. To me, 15 an hour will never happen. The folks who think they can have a career and raise a family as I have seen on the reports, are delusional. It will never happen. My double double is out there somewhere, and all this burger talk has me thinking road trip. I'm out.

I remember Worlds Best very well with the picnic tables, it was an occasional treat after a soccer game/ baseball game kinda thing. I always find it amusing that after having an In 'N' Out burger for a work meal for 4+ years of my life, 5 times a week, I still crave it occasionally. I have friends that I worked with at the Placentia store that have gone the corporate route or maintenance route within the company, and still do as well. For them, we are talking like 17+ years of weekly consumption :) That's how good a burger it is :)

Tishimself
12-18-2013, 11:06 AM
I remember Worlds Best very well with the picnic tables, it was an occasional treat after a soccer game/ baseball game kinda thing. I always find it amusing that after having an In 'N' Out burger for a work meal for 4+ years of my life, 5 times a week, I still crave it occasionally. I have friends that I worked with at the Placentia store that have gone the corporate route or maintenance route within the company, and still do as well. For them, we are talking like 17+ years of weekly consumption :) That's how good a burger it is :)

They made a chocolate shake I still have never been able to find the equal of....and the burgers, BIG..they fed you, that's for sure...

Eli
12-18-2013, 11:12 AM
Bruce, just get on board and do like everyone else that ain't happy...sue the franchise to put other stuff on the menu!!

Sounds like discrimination against the wife and daughter to me.......I'll PM you Eli's number.....

You have it all wrong ...it's "chicken discrimination" not wife and kid :D

You don't have to PM him my number...my firm is a Hotboat.com advertiser. We are on the top banner :)

I know cheap plug ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave

ChumpChange
12-18-2013, 11:14 AM

I think he owns a Twisted Kilt and a Hooters. :D

This is a union push for members by promising something to them that is not realistically attainable.

Yup. And the workers don't realize that after their newly found dues, they will only be grossing $8.75/hour. At least for the ones that will still have a job. :D

HB Vic
12-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Not to throw a wrench in to things, but if McDonalds wants to pay their workers $15/hr to flip burgers, more power to them. If they do, their challenge would be to somehow remain competitive with the other chains. It really isn't my problem.

Now if the government tries to step in and force FF joints to pay their workers $15/hr, well, fuck that. Now the problem just became all of ours.

As far as McDonalds as a career? Who are we to say that's a bad thing? There are people out there who, for whatever reason, may have chosen McD's as their career path. Maybe McD's is around the corner from them and they don't have transportation. Maybe they just can't hold down any other type of job. Or maybe they're just happy campers working at McD's:D I don't look down at these people, in fact, at times I envy them.

Here's a little food for thought (pun intended). I don't think I've ever seen a McDonalds close their doors. So if McD's person "A" can pull down say $18-20/hr as a manager for 20 years full time, that's almost $800K in income, not including any benefits or overtime. Now enter person "B". Person "B" says he'll never work at McD's for $18/hr, decides to work construction for $30/hr, no benefits, on and off (literally 50% of the time) for 20 years. Person "B" would earn approx. $167K less than the burger flipper.

Different strokes.

2manymustangs
12-18-2013, 11:36 AM
Not to throw a wrench in to things, but if McDonalds wants to pay their workers $15/hr to flip burgers, more power to them. If they do, their challenge would be to somehow remain competitive with the other chains. It really isn't my problem.

Now if the government tries to step in and force FF joints to pay their workers $15/hr, well, fuck that. Now the problem just became all of ours.

As far as McDonalds as a career? Who are we to say that's a bad thing? There are people out there who, for whatever reason, may have chosen McD's as their career path. Maybe McD's is around the corner from them and they don't have transportation. Maybe they just can't hold down any other type of job. Or maybe they're just happy campers working at McD's:D I don't look down at these people, in fact, at times I envy them.

Here's a little food for thought (pun intended). I don't think I've ever seen a McDonalds close their doors. So if McD's person "A" can pull down say $18-20/hr as a manager for 20 years full time, that's almost $800K in income, not including any benefits or overtime. Now enter person "B". Person "B" says he'll never work at McD's for $18/hr, decides to work construction for $30/hr, no benefits, on and off (literally 50% of the time) for 20 years. Person "B" would earn approx. $167K less than the burger flipper.

Different strokes.

Much like White Castles, they could put a McDonalds 20 miles off of Hwy 10 half way between PHX and Quartzite and it would NEVER close it's doors... They do survive, somehow...

Tishimself
12-18-2013, 12:10 PM

Different strokes.

And I don't disagree with you. To this point. That it should the choice of the company what wage they pay their employees, not have their hands forced by some union thugs trying to reel in more members. If McDonalds and other FF chains voluntarily raise their wages, good on them. But this method of arm twisting and public shaming is embarrassing to those of us on here who are union members. And yes,, I include myself in that statement.

Eli
12-18-2013, 12:23 PM
If it wasn't for the Big Mac, my hangovers would suck! So, I'm grateful to the people who make the oh so yummy...two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun! When I'm hungover they always make me feel better...that and a Bloody Mary ;)

In and Out created the protein burger so I love them too!

Tommy's was our childhood treat and reminds me of the times my mother, sisters and I drove there (it was far and there was only a standing area outdoors) for a burger and chili cheese fries and those yummy peppers.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Paul65K
12-18-2013, 01:00 PM
Job as in Jobe :D

:D...:thumb:

Paul65K
12-18-2013, 01:01 PM
Right.. He always screws shit up with facts... :angry-smiley-018:

Sorry....I'll work on that, I keep forgetting I'm on the internet :rolleyes

gn7
12-18-2013, 01:19 PM
Here's a little food for thought (pun intended). I don't think I've ever seen a McDonalds close their doors.

Much like White Castles, they could put a McDonalds 20 miles off of Hwy 10 half way between PHX and Quartzite and it would NEVER close it's doors... They do survive, somehow...
Mc Donalds as with most FF chains are very good about scouting locations and doing very in depth feasibility reports before choosing a site. My uncle and I went round and round with Mc Ds and Jack in the Box about opening a store in Havasu long before either were there. Just no doing, no way, no how. Neither would even discuss it,

In & Out has a major leg up on the franchise FF chains in that they own and control the entire operation top to bottom, both ends. No buying every freekin thing in the business from mother company. The amount of money corporate makes annually compared to a franchise is insane. In and Out can afford to pay more and still maintain the same or near profit margin. Their is no middle man in the operation that "tacks on" They can cut the best deals they can with local suppliers, and aren't strapped with having to buy from the company store.

Bruce, I have worked more than a few hours at the beef supplier for all the So Cal In and out stores, and if I told WHO the supplier was, you might rethink eating there. HOWEVER, I assure you, it is top drawer beef, and it is delivered fresh daily, but the NAME of the supplier freaks some out when they learn who it is.
Just a hint, the parent company is Mars Candy. I was surprised to learn just how big and diversified Mars is, and how wealthy the Mars family is.
Google Mars and see if you can figure out WHO is the beef supplier for So Cal In and Out stores.

2manymustangs
12-18-2013, 01:35 PM
Mc Donalds as with most FF chains are very good about scouting locations and doing very in depth feasibility reports before choosing a site. My uncle and I went round and round with Mc Ds and Jack in the Box about opening a store in Havasu long before either were there. Just no doing, no way, no how. Neither would even discuss it,

In & Out has a major leg up on the franchise FF chains in that they own and control the entire operation top to bottom, both ends. No buying every freekin thing in the business from mother company. The amount of money corporate makes annually compared to a franchise is insane. In and Out can afford to pay more and still maintain the same or near profit margin. Their is no middle man in the operation that "tacks on" They can cut the best deals they can with local suppliers, and aren't strapped with having to buy from the company store.

Bruce, I have worked more than a few hours at the beef supplier for all the So Cal In and out stores, and if I told WHO the supplier was, you might rethink eating there. HOWEVER, I assure you, it is top drawer beef, and it is delivered fresh daily, but the NAME of the supplier freaks some out when they learn who it is.
Just a hint, the parent company is Mars Candy. I was surprised to learn just how big and diversified Mars is, and how wealthy the Mars family is.
Google Mars and see if you can figure out WHO is the beef supplier for So Cal In and Out stores.

Just the logistics of the fresh meat delivery to EVERY location blows my mind... Jack/John Harris Ranch??? AHHHHhhhh, pedigree dog food/wiskas cat food...

Stuff like this is interesting to me...

I have a relative that drives over the road and delivers DOMINOS pizza dough/supplies in a four state area, it's timed to perfection for the aging/proofing of the dough while refrigerated over the road... The processes are pretty impressive... Too bad their pizza is just so so... ;)

Bobby V
12-18-2013, 01:52 PM

I have seen In N Out trucks at the old Kal Kan dog food plant when they were open in Vernon. And the Mars family ownes Kal Kan. :tongue:

gn7
12-18-2013, 02:03 PM
Just the logistics of the fresh meat delivery to EVERY location blows my mind... Jack/John Harris Ranch??? AHHHHhhhh, pedigree dog food/wiskas cat food...
Stuff like this is interesting to me...

I have a relative that drives over the road and delivers DOMINOS pizza dough/supplies in a four state area, it's timed to perfection for the aging/proofing of the dough while refrigerated over the road... The processes are pretty impressive... Too bad their pizza is just so so... ;)

Close enough. Actually its http://www.kalkan.com/Waltham.aspx

One of the cleanest food processing places I have ever seen, by far. The amount of beef that passes thru the place every day is amazing. They had us on very restricted hours we could work there, mostly at night, and the In and Out trucks would start arriving every night around midnight and last one would leave around 4:00 am, and they hauled beef from Ventura to San Diego.
But it was the perfect operation. Beef processing from steaks and roasts to the by products processed into canned dog and cat food , all under one roof, in minutes. Sides of beef came in one refer rail, and NOTHING left the plant as waste. Nothing.

gn7
12-18-2013, 02:05 PM
I have seen In N Out trucks at the old Kal Kan dog food plant when they were open in Vernon. And the Mars family ownes Kal Kan. :tongue:

That was the place.

Eli
12-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Close enough. Actually its http://www.kalkan.com/Waltham.aspx

One of the cleanest food processing places I have ever seen, by far. The amount of beef that passes thru the place every day is amazing. They had us on very restricted hours we could work there, mostly at night, and the In and Out trucks would start arriving every night around midnight and last one would leave around 4:00 am, and they hauled beef from Ventura to San Diego.
But it was the perfect operation. Beef processing from steaks and roasts to the by products processed into canned dog and cat food , all under one roof, in minutes. Sides of beef came in one refer rail, and NOTHING left the plant as waste. Nothing.

That doesn't gross me out. It makes sense.

Sent from my Bat Cave

HB Vic
12-18-2013, 02:08 PM
That doesn't gross me out. It makes sense.

Sent from my Bat Cave

I am completely grossed out and won't eat there again :D

Tishimself
12-18-2013, 02:14 PM
There is only one beef kill left in LA. Shamrock meats. The rest gets trucked in. And Shamrock is just a little operation over in Vernon. I used to shove carloads of fat screaming hogs past it to farmer John who is the only pork kill left in town. They truck the ladies in now. AS for Kal Kan, you may be surprised to learn that my grandfather started that company and sold it. He was offered a 50% partnership with some guy who wanted to start a restaurant chain, I believe the guys name was Denny. True story. ;)

P.S. He turned it down. Otherwise, I would be in a 41 DCB ;)

Wendi
12-18-2013, 02:15 PM
I am completely grossed out and won't eat there again :D

Liar liar hasselhoff

Wendi
12-18-2013, 02:18 PM
There is only one beef kill left in LA. Shamrock meats. The rest gets trucked in. And Shamrock is just a little operation over in Vernon. I used to shove carloads of fat screaming hogs past it to farmer John who is the only pork kill left in town. They truck the ladies in now. AS for Kal Kan, you may be surprised to learn that my grandfather started that company and sold it. He was offered a 50% partnership with some guy who wanted to start a restaurant chain, I believe the guys name was Denny. True story. ;)

WMC built a lot of machinery for Farmer John and had to go there to install. He saw the kill in action. My friend works in Vernon and says you can smell the blood/kill in the air. YUCK

2manymustangs
12-18-2013, 02:28 PM
On a slight tangent, while we are on the supply chain of the discussion... I saw a documentary about a migrating lettuce farm out west in your area, that moves the ENTIRE operation (farm/processing/warehouse) seasonally from south to north and back as the growing seasons change... The plant was amazing and every bit of the product is either processed OR recycled... When they finished cleaning up before moving it was just one HUGE empty building, everything moves to the new location...

In the field the grooming/picking is totally automated, the processing is automated and the scraps/trimmings are processed and go to McDonalds and a few other chains for their sandwiches... It was fascinating to me (I used to work in high speed automation design)...

I don't recall the name of the farm but here is a small sample of the field machinery used, the cost of the lettuce to FF chains had better be small since they are basically getting the scraps/trimmings...

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2013/07/14/robot-farming/

Tishimself
12-18-2013, 02:40 PM
WMC built a lot of machinery for Farmer John and had to go there to install. He saw the kill in action. My friend works in Vernon and says you can smell the blood/kill in the air. YUCK

When we shoved the cars in there, we had a little makeshift shelter we would sit in while the "pigboys" as we called them (employees of Farmer John who would unload the hogs from the cars) would unload the cars for us. We had a large 50 gallon drum for building a fire in to keep warm and we kept a 25' length of rebar up there with us to prod any of the hogs that did not want to go, as the longer they took, the longer we had to wait to go home, seeing as this was our go home move for the day. So naturally we wanted to encourage the hogs to get off the cars quickly. For those hogs that still didn't get with the program, we took the rebar and stuck it in the fire for five minutes, that usually got them hopping. But the worst was when even that didn't work. One of those poor pigboy bastards had to crawl into the car and chase it out. Through all that pig crap. To this day, that was the worst thing I ever saw on this job. So one day I went in looking for the restroom, and asked some focker where it was, and he pointed me to a hallway and to go down some steps...I did and ended up right on the kill floor. (They did this to all strangers and to us rails, it was a joke they played on us) Took me years and years to get to the point that I could eat pork again. Still don't really. As for the smell, that's Bandini, the rendering plant nearby. They take all the carcasses and render (incinerate) them to turn them into fertilizer. When I started working in 1990 in East LA yard for the UP off Washington Blvd., the smell made me vomit. There was a shower in the locker room and I would shower after the shift and still could not get it off me...over time I learned to shower repeatedly after working a yard job there...yeah, the smell is that gross and disgusting.

Bobby V
12-18-2013, 02:48 PM

Thats not the only thing that smells in Vernon. My company is doing work at Exide batteries and I was there today for a few hours. The worst place I worked was / is a place in Chino that I seen the cows going in one door and being slaughtered out the other door. I think it was called Westmoreland.

gn7
12-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Thats not the only thing that smells in Vernon. My company is doing work at Exide batteries and I was there today for a few hours. The worst place I worked was / is a place in Chino that I seen the cows going in one door and being slaughtered out the other door. I think it was called Westmoreland.

I have worked at dairy farms, slaughtering houses, and virtually every refinery in So Cal which has its share of some bad smells including hydrogen sulfide, but hands down the very worse was the card board recycling plant in Fontana. I dreaded every time I ever had to go to that place. You would think it would be bad, but it is horrible.
The sulfuric acid/rotten egg smell at the Exide facility is bad, but it doesn't compare to the card board recycler in Fontana.

But for a well rounded array of foul oders, Vernon has them beat, and its much better now than it was 20-25 years ago.

HB Vic
12-18-2013, 03:14 PM
I have worked at dairy farms, slaughtering houses, and virtually every refinery in So Cal, and hands down the very worse was the card board recycling plant in Fontana. I dreaded every time I ever had to go to that place. You would think it would be bad, but it is horrible.

Yeah but have you ever worked at an egg ranch like Hickmans in Tonopah Az? In the summer? :D

Tishimself
12-18-2013, 03:19 PM
There are a lot of feed lots up this way. Foster Farms is all over the place, Zacky farms, you name them, they are around somewhere. To me, Chicken farms have this foul(pun intended) funky smell, not as bad as other stuff, just nasty if you have never smelled it. Dairy's are aweful because of the sewage ponds they maintain from those four legged bastards, but I still think rendering plants kill them all....they should rendering plants on the moon. LOL...

gn7
12-18-2013, 07:50 PM
There are a lot of feed lots up this way. Foster Farms is all over the place, Zacky farms, you name them, they are around somewhere. To me, Chicken farms have this foul(pun intended) funky smell, not as bad as other stuff, just nasty if you have never smelled it. Dairy's are aweful because of the sewage ponds they maintain from those four legged bastards, but I still think rendering plants kill them all....they should rendering plants on the moon. LOL...
The rendering plant in at Bandini is bad. There is a lot of things that come out of the place besides fertilizer, like lard, and products mixed in with petroleum to make greases and heavy gear oils. Fertilizer is the VERY end product. Like I said about the Kal Kan plant, nothing leaves. Nothing about any animal goes unused.
I think different smells effect people differently. Nothing in Vernon or Bandini could be called pleasant. But to me the cardboard recycler still takes the prize. Seems hard to believe, but it is bad.

I haven't been passed the Farmer John plant in years. Do they still have a cute farm mural painted on the outside of the building. Its makes the place seem so pleasant and down on the farm.

2manymustangs
12-18-2013, 08:02 PM
Yeah but have you ever worked at an egg ranch like Hickmans in Tonopah Az? In the summer? :D

When I was a kid we used to go to a very large egg farm on the Mississippi river bottoms and pick up a very large case of eggs for the extended family... THe flies are like a cloud and the smell in the summer was beyond description... :puke:

The rendering plant in at Bandini is bad. There is a lot of things that come out of the place besides fertilizer, like lard, and products mixed in with petroleum to make greases and heavy gear oils. Fertilizer is the VERY end product. Like I said about the Kal Kan plant, nothing leaves. Nothing about any animal goes unused.

I haven't been passed the Farmer John plant in years. Do they still have a cute farm mural painted on the outside of the building. Its makes the place seem so pleasant and down on the farm.

At the Southern Missouri TYSON processing plants they use every bit of the chickens/turkeys... After all of the meat products are stripped off of the birds EVERYTHING else goes into a THERMAL / PRESSURE conversion set up that literally converts everything into a fuel oil type of substance... Feathers/bones/skin/scraps/feet... ALL turns into a fuel that they use to run the plans...

The same thing is done across Illinois with hog waste...

It is pretty much an accelerated version of how fossil fuels are created "in nature"...

Tishimself
12-18-2013, 08:06 PM
I think different smells effect people differently. Nothing in Vernon or Bandini could be called pleasant. But to me the cardboard recycler still takes the prize. Seems hard to believe, but it is bad.

You are right what smells downright evil to me, might not to someone else. But considering that you have been to bandini, and still the the cardboard place is worse, I'll just take your word on it dude, I don't ever want to get near it...LOL.....last I saw the Farmer John plant it was still up...but that was well over a decade ago....funny that there is a 7-11 across the street and I went in for a hot dog... ;)

gn7
12-18-2013, 11:14 PM
funny that there is a 7-11 across the street and I went in for a hot dog... ;)

OK, now that is some fuuuuny shit!