PDA

View Full Version : Gift Cards yes - no

314joey
12-17-2013, 08:36 AM
How do you guys feel about gift cards, here the last few years we've gotten the Niece's and Nephew's gift cards because who knows what a 20-26 year old kid wants now a days.

Eli
12-17-2013, 08:40 AM
How do you guys feel about gift cards, here the last few years we've gotten the Niece's and Nephew's gift cards because who knows what a 20-26 year old kid wants now a days.

Gift cards are great for a 20-26 nephew! He can buy what he wants.

If you're wondering what to buy Eli...cash works fine ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

Paul65K
12-17-2013, 08:43 AM
We do that as well for the Nieces/Nephews and their kids.

We have been doing this for a few years and it seems to go over better than when we tried to think about what they might like......which was really what we liked and hoped they would like :rolleyes

Most kids starting families are struggling so we go the gift card route......Lowes/HD in the years when they bought new homes and Target/various restaurants in other years. It was weird at first to give the cards as I at least was raised to give gifts that were personal and showed you took the time to buy something for the recipient.....oh well, times change I guess and cards are now the gift of choice. Of course we still buy little things for the small ones that are about Christmas but the big gift choices are left to them. :thumb:

SBS933
12-17-2013, 08:44 AM
Gift Cards all the way.

McRib
12-17-2013, 08:50 AM
My favorite gift when I was young was gift cards for gas stations for fuel. I buy gift cards cause its quick and easy and I dont have to worry about buying something they dont want. Many consider it impersonal but I think its more thoughtful. My gift of cash or prepaid credit might be the amount one would need to add to his other monetary gifts to buy what he needs.

314joey
12-17-2013, 09:05 AM
When we started this a couple years ago I felt bad it not being personal. but then each year they seem to happier with the cards, I was just wondering what others were doing, that's great, I'm not the only one doing this.

riverrunner1984
12-17-2013, 09:14 AM
I love gift cards especially to costco! We always get gift cards to extended family members whom we are not with on a regular basis.

Wendi
12-17-2013, 09:40 AM
Gift cards are good and appreciated... That way they can get what they want plus it makes your life easy and you don't have to shop with the masses (since you are retired and all). :smile:

ChumpChange
12-17-2013, 09:54 AM
Not really a fan of them. The only gift card I buy would be for my wife for Coffee Bean. She's too frugal to buy herself something good otherwise. Outside of her, none purchased. i do buy Gift Certificates to Sees Candy though. The card thing is meh to me.