PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Gasoline

Stainless
12-16-2013, 05:55 PM
What a foul odor! :( I can always tell when there's a vehicle in front of me burning that crap from the smell coming through the vents. What do they put in it to smell that bad?

CH3NO2

HB Vic
12-16-2013, 07:14 PM
Ok I'm intrigued. Are you in Mexico? I guess how do you know its Mexican gas?

And are you sure you're in a vehicle and not just walking behind someone?? LOL

GRADS
12-16-2013, 07:16 PM
ahh the potential for jokes here......

McRib
12-16-2013, 07:22 PM
What a foul odor! :( I can always tell when there's a vehicle in front of me burning that crap from the smell coming through the vents. What do they put in it to smell that bad?

CH3NO2

dont listen to these homos that went straight for the gayboy ass jokes. :P. I know the smell your talking about. Cars burrning mexican refined gasoline has a really foul odor and idk what causes it either.

Stainless
12-16-2013, 07:32 PM
dont listen to these homos that went straight for the gayboy ass jokes. :P. I know the smell your talking about. Cars burrning mexican refined gasoline has a really foul odor and idk what causes it either.

Thanks for bailing me out, I knew this thread would go sideways. :p
I endure it everyday on I-19, Tucson to Nogales, the shortest interstate in the US.

Bench race driver of the NHRA 16X Castrol GTX Mustang

McRib
12-16-2013, 07:34 PM
My guess is pemex may have a higher sulfur count and less detergents in it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

2manymustangs
12-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Does it smell like a mix of frijolis, huevos and mole'???

Stainless
12-16-2013, 07:43 PM
Does it smell like a mix of frijolis, huevos and mole'???

Yea, how do you know? :D

2manymustangs
12-16-2013, 07:51 PM
Yea, how do you know? :D

Correct answer is " si' senior " :biggrin:

Si Hablamos Espano vato?

HB Vic
12-16-2013, 07:55 PM
Most land locked GM motors have that same smell :D

gn7
12-16-2013, 08:06 PM
My guess is pemex may have a higher sulfur count and less detergents in it.

My guess is it is not what they putting in, but what they aren't removing, and what the actual chemistry is in their blend.
Gasoline isn't just one compound, its dozens. The gasoline in the US, and particularly Cal and NY, and some other major cities in the country is a completely different formulation than other parts. But all gas in the US is what they call "reformulated gasoline". If you sold this stuff in 60s and 70s, you would go to jail because it doesn't come near the definition of gasoline as described by the feds back then.

When cat converters first arrived, the smell from cars was disgusting. When the sulfer in the fuel hits the converter, along with any unburnt hydrocarbons, the heat in the convertor makes it form hydrogen sulfide. Rotten eggs.

My guess is that Premex doesn't go thru the process to eliminate the sulfer in the fuel and that's what you are smelling.

McRib
12-16-2013, 08:07 PM
My guess is it is not what they putting in, but what they aren't removing, and what the actual chemistry is in their blend.
Gasoline isn't just one compound, its dozens. The gasoline in the US, and particularly Cal and NY, and some other major cities in the country is a completely different formulation than other parts. But all gas in the US is what they call "reformulated gasoline". If you sold this stuff in 60s and 70s, you would go to jail because it doesn't come near the definition of gasoline as described by the feds back then.

When cat converters first arrived, the smell from cars was disgusting. When the sulfer in the fuel hits the converter, along with any unburnt hydrocarbons, the heat in the convertor makes it form hydrogen sulfide. Rotten eggs.

My guess is that Premex doesn't go thru the process to eliminate the sulfer in the fuel and that's what you are smelling.

Way above my pay grade buddy. Lol. I just put the shit in my car. Lol

gn7
12-16-2013, 08:14 PM
If you drove a car in the mid 70s when converters first came out, you'd know that smell very well.
But like I said, its not what they are putting in, its what they aren't removing.
You hang around a refinery and you see tanker trucks hauling molten sulfer out about once an hour. Don't ask where they are taking it, I have no clue. I just know between the diesel and the gasoline, they are removing one shit load of sulfer every day.

Tishimself
12-16-2013, 08:17 PM
There is a place down in the LA ports that sells sulfur in powder form...yellow shit stank to high hell...they did nothing to even try to cover it....it smells like rotten eggs, and worse....:knockout:

gn7
12-16-2013, 08:22 PM
There is a place down in the LA ports that sells sulfur in powder form...yellow shit stank to high hell...they did nothing to even try to cover it....it smells like rotten eggs, and worse....:knockout:

A lot of that is headed over seas for steel production. Huge piles of coke from the refineries down there for the same reason. But it doesn't smell.

Tishimself
12-16-2013, 08:25 PM
A lot of that is headed over seas for steel production. Huge piles of coke from the refineries down there for the same reason. But it doesn't smell.

Yeah, but the rail doesn't go by those...it goes right by the sulfur company, and I almost always got stopped next to it. If I didn't there is a rail crossing close by and the speed restriction over it was 10mph..either way...it was gross.....

2manymustangs
12-16-2013, 08:25 PM

I dont know if it is still the case but I recall hearing that there WERE over 40 formulas in the U.S.... Nearly every state had their own formula and by law could not use supplies from other states that dont meet the spec...

I dont know if it got WORSE or better since the time I heard that statistic..

All Missouri gas is 10% alcohol minimum... Plus who knows what else...

Stainless
12-16-2013, 08:27 PM
Maybe I could bottle the smell and call it Grads.

Paul65K
12-16-2013, 08:38 PM

Note to self: Never ask GN7 what time it is unless you want a 20 minute dissertation on the differentiation between what we call the time of day and the relative variation to the world atomic clock :hilarious:

Only kidding dude.....no offense meant :D

ChumpChange
12-16-2013, 09:00 PM
Most land locked GM motors have that same smell :D

The Fords are broken down so no fumes are released.

gn7
12-16-2013, 09:17 PM
I dont know if it is still the case but I recall hearing that there WERE over 40 formulas in the U.S.... Nearly every state had their own formula and by law could not use supplies from other states that dont meet the spec...

I dont know if it got WORSE or better since the time I heard that statistic..

All Missouri gas is 10% alcohol minimum... Plus who knows what else...

There is a formula for every climate, and elevation in the country, and it changes with the seasons. It is not unlawful for some states to share gasoline. It is unlawful for all of calif and much of NY and some other densely populated areas from using gasoline from other regions.
This enumerable variations is gasoline thru out the country is very reason why I am so anti E85 for use in the GNs. It is IMPOSSIBLE to baseline. It simply cannot be done. They use a water gauge to determine the alcohol content, but NOBODY can tell what alcohol, ethanol or methanol. It is also impossible short of a laboratory to determine the gasoline used in the E85. Anybody buying E 85 for a GN at a station is a fool, and there aren't many fools in the GN class. So who are they kidding. Get rid of the mixture and just change the damn class to K V bottom and knock the bullshit off.

The purity of gasoline today verses even 25 years ago cannot be compared. The gasoline today is more synthesized than refined. Its distilled, cat cracked, hydro cracked, isomerized, alkylized, demerized, and cat reformed. Basically, it totally dismantled, and reassembled into what they want it to be. No different than synthetic oil.
There is nothing in that fuel they don't want in it. Its great for emissions, and shit for mileage and power.

Eli
12-16-2013, 10:04 PM
There is a formula for every climate, and elevation in the country, and it changes with the seasons. It is not unlawful for some states to share gasoline. It is unlawful for all of calif and much of NY and some other densely populated areas from using gasoline from other regions.
This enumerable variations is gasoline thru out the country is very reason why I am so anti E85 for use in the GNs. It is IMPOSSIBLE to baseline. It simply cannot be done. They use a water gauge to determine the alcohol content, but NOBODY can tell what alcohol, ethanol or methanol. It is also impossible short of a laboratory to determine the gasoline used in the E85. Anybody buying E 85 for a GN at a station is a fool, and there aren't many fools in the GN class. So who are they kidding. Get rid of the mixture and just change the damn class to K V bottom and knock the bullshit off.

The purity of gasoline today verses even 25 years ago cannot be compared. The gasoline today is more synthesized than refined. Its distilled, cat cracked, hydro cracked, isomerized, alkylized, demerized, and cat reformed. Basically, it totally dismantled, and reassembled into what they want it to be. No different than synthetic oil.
There is nothing in that fuel they don't want in it. Its great for emissions, and shit for mileage and power.

How does the gas from other states effect a car? Say for example I take a cross country road trip and my car requires 91 octane and as you explained each state has their own "version" of gasoline. Is the difference enough to adversely effect the car?

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

2manymustangs
12-17-2013, 07:54 AM
Hotboat: Most land locked GM motors have that same smell

Watch it bucko... :AngryFinger_7WSKJO:

HB Vic
12-17-2013, 08:10 AM

Wait, I predict you're going to get lambasted for that comment.

Brian
12-17-2013, 09:59 AM
I have done a fair amount of traveling this year and purchased gasoline in many mid-west and east coast states that I have traveled through. I never really noticed any foul odor from burned gasoline, but the smell from the raw fuel coming out of the pump is terrible. At first I though it was because they don't have fume collectors on the pumps, but it is the actual fuel. I pumped some gas in a 5 gallon can for a generator and it just oozed fumes that are destined to give you a headache in no time. It smells nothing like the fuel that comes out of the CA,AZ and NV pumps.

YLDBOYZ
12-17-2013, 05:10 PM
I remember years ago when they were running the fuel through the sewer lines. Maybe that has something to do with it.
Although it didn't work out that great, parts of GUADALAJARA exploded underground.

gn7
12-17-2013, 06:16 PM
I remember years ago when they were running the fuel through the sewer lines. Maybe that has something to do with it.
Although it didn't work out that great, parts of GUADALAJARA exploded underground.

I don't think they are using sewer pipes to move gasoline and oil around. But there is thousands of miles of hi pressure lines carrying everything from crude oil to refined gasoline in the country. You didn't think they trucked gas to places like Needles and Barstow did you. There are stations that are better than a thousand miles from the nearest refinery.
They don't even sent fuel trucks into refineries to fill them any more, They pump the fuel to distribution centers and the trucks get it there. About the only trucks going in and out of refineries today are trucks haulinjg out coke and sulfur.

In 1976 I was coming out of bank about a 1/2 block from a line explosion on Venice Blvd separating Los Angeles and Culver City. It knocked me back about 20 ft and right on my ass. Then I thought the world was coming to an end. Ugliest thing I have ever seen.

This is a list of pipe line accidents in the US since 1900. You can fine the one in Los Angeles in the '75-'99 list.
U.S> pipe line accidents (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pipeline_accidents_in_the_United_States)

I remember the Guadalajara explosion very well. A worker at our shop had a niece that was killed when a car landed on her. It blew the entire main street straight up. They had cars on roof tops. Much worse than want I witnessed, and that was baaaad!

gn7
12-17-2013, 06:21 PM
How does the gas from other states effect a car? Say for example I take a cross country road trip and my car requires 91 octane and as you explained each state has their own "version" of gasoline. Is the difference enough to adversely effect the car?

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!
Your car will love it, and it will probably get slightly better gas mileage in most states. The lowest premium in the country, and guess who gets it. YEP! The stuff they sell us here is Calif is the worst of the worst. But the rest of the country is doing its best to catch up, and copy us.