PDA

View Full Version : Hey She's Mine...

GRADS
12-15-2013, 06:39 PM
Did you take the boat to Elsinore today???

joepump1
12-15-2013, 08:12 PM
I seen him out there. Boat looked GOOD!!!:thumbsUp::thumbsUp:

GRADS
12-15-2013, 10:09 PM
Pics??

She's Mine
12-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Wazzup GRADS?? Yep made it out today. Took the kids and better half out. Weather was awesome, water was cold but perfect for a cat.

Boat ran good but still have some serious dialing in to do with props and tune. Ran my 30p Merc Lab prop and it just doesn't work. Way too much slip. Boat pulled harder from middle to top end with a stock 32p.

Dropped the boat off at Menace to have him go over a few things that I found today. Between Dustin, Unforgiven, and myself we should get these SCX drives figured out.

Met a board member today, JoePump1. Nice guy that recently bought a gorgeous Lavey Craft. Talked with him for a few then burnt some fuel.

Here are a couple of pics from today.

Tishimself
12-15-2013, 11:51 PM
Have you got more pics of the boat???

GRADS
12-16-2013, 12:08 AM
or speed numbers?

She's Mine
12-16-2013, 07:24 AM
Right now the numbers are very disappointing. Hopefully Dustin will be able to figure out why she's not running as good as expected.

HB Vic
12-16-2013, 07:30 AM
Did I tell you my experience with a SCX?

Menace Marine
12-16-2013, 08:35 AM
The SCX lower is a bit of a nightmare. I don't believe it will ever work as good as an sc lower. That being said I think there is still room for improvement. We are going to try a larger diameter prop and possibly a five blade. We also have a list of things that need to be fixed on the boat that other shops have dropped the ball on or simply fallen short on delivering what they claimed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

She's Mine
12-16-2013, 10:02 AM
Did I tell you my experience with a SCX?

I would love to hear what you've gone through.

Let me say this, I was told by everyone that it will slow the boat down by X mph. I was ok losing X mph but right now I am 2X-3X mph slower than expected. Not good. I know I can go to the Sc lower and pick up a bunch of speed but I don't want to replace gears 2 a year. So now I'm in a dilemma, do I got with bullet proof or speed. SCX-4 doesn't make since because I have little children the love jumping off and swimming around the boat.

Dustin HELP!

Menace Marine
12-16-2013, 10:43 AM
We will make it better. I don't know what speeds you were told you would see but I know we can improve on what you have. You are right about a few things.
The SCX lower will scrub speed and cause a few handling quirks but reliability is improved.
The sc lower will be faster, handle better, and break sooner. How much sooner is an unknown.
The SCX -4 is not a solution for you. Big prop with razor edges + young kids on a family boat = trouble.
I personally run the SCX upper and sc lower with 1200+ hp. So far I have had zero handling or reliability issues but I know my lower is the weak link. I have access to parts and I build the drives myself so I am willing to gamble on this setup.
I guarantee I can get you more performance out of your current setup but there will always be a trade off between speed and reliability when it comes to every aspect of boating. Or any go fast sport for that matter.

WESTERNAERO
12-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Stop by Menace this morning and saw your boat, looks great. Dustin and I had that thing up to about 9,000 RPM on the trailer with no water, it sounded great!!!!!! :yikes::biggrin:

She's Mine
12-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Stop by Menace this morning and saw your boat, looks great. Dustin and I had that thing up to about 9,000 RPM on the trailer with no water, it sounded great!!!!!! :yikes::biggrin:

Thanks for the compliment.

Dang, you must have the magic touch... I couldn't get it over 8000rpms when it was on the trailer and I was blowing out the motor... lol

HB Vic
12-16-2013, 11:31 AM
I'll post up my experience a little later.

WESTERNAERO
12-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the compliment.

Dang, you must have the magic touch... I couldn't get it over 8000rpms when it was on the trailer and I was blowing out the motor... lol

Dustin said he need to cut up some pallets for firewood, so we wound that thing up until it sounded about right and started feeding the pallets into that little prop of yours. Shit it worked out great! I think we got about 60 pallets turned into kindling in no time. Gene wasn't to happy about us turning Howard boats into a lumber mill, but hey, there's enough firewood there for a whole dune season now. :skull::skull:

28eliminator
12-16-2013, 12:08 PM
Dustin said he need to cut up some pallets for firewood, so we wound that thing up until it sounded about right and started feeding the pallets into that little prop of yours. Shit it worked out great! I think we got about 60 pallets turned into kindling in no time. Gene wasn't to happy about us turning Howard boats into a lumber mill, but hey, there's enough firewood there for a whole dune season now. :skull::skull:

LMAO... your such a dick :biggrin:

WESTERNAERO
12-16-2013, 12:17 PM
LMAO... your such a dick :biggrin:

That's what my wife tells me all the time. :headscratch:

Tishimself
12-16-2013, 12:33 PM
I will be heading down to Newport Weds. morning.....is it ok to stop by menace and check out your boat?

She's Mine
12-16-2013, 01:12 PM
I will be heading down to Newport Weds. morning.....is it ok to stop by menace and check out your boat?

Of course, be my guest. It's a mess right now though.

Menace Marine
12-16-2013, 01:54 PM

Stop by any time.

HB Vic
12-16-2013, 05:58 PM
Ok She's, here's what happened with my F26/TCM800. This is my particular boat, not to be confused with any other boat, any other makers boat, or even another DCB F26.

A few years ago I grenaded my Teague drive. Blew the snout off the sucker and jammed the drive shaft in to the coupler. After talking to a few people, Kap suggested looking in to a SCX. As far as I knew, no one at the time had put a SCX of a F26. Figured I may as well be the first. So I talked to Imco and decided to take the plunge. Upper, helmet, reservoir, you know the pocketbook drill. Took my boat to someone in Havi, damned if I can remember who. Had them install the Helmet and drive. I reused my old SC lower after I had MMW check it out.

Took the boat to Parker, dropped it in, and it immediately had a vibration I didn't like. Talked to a few more people and came to the conclusion the coupler was bad. Took the boat back to Havi, yanked the engine and replaced the coupler. Ok, now I'm ready to actually test this thing.

Initially I put my 32 back on. I almost couldn't roll the boat over. I mean it was seriously a problem. So went back and put the 30 on. The boat rolled over, but the entire handling characteristic of the boat changed. It felt noting like it did before. F26's hop. Mine hopped between 65-70. They all do. But now it was hopping all the way up to 85 and the handling was almost out of control. I tried everything I knew to get it to calm down. Not like I was driving a new to me boat, I had probably a couple hundred hours of seat time by now.

So I trailered the boat and started looking at the SCX very closely. At the time I didn't have a Merc drive to compare it to, so I took a bunch or measurements and pictures and went home. Other than the upper bearing housing and cav plate, the drives measure identical. My X dim wasn't affected, the prop hub was essentially in the same exact location as it was with the Merc drive. So I moved on to the cav plate. The SCX plate is much larger than the Merc cav plate. By the way, Imco was involved throughout this process, and they were extremely helpful. Great bunch of experienced guys to work with.

I suggested the cav plate was causing the handling issues on my particular boat. Imco suggested trimming the plate so it was more inline with the stock merc drive. At this point I made another executive decision. I asked Imco if they would take the drive back and refund my money. They did. Again, awesome people to work with.

I came to the conclusion that my particular boat simply did not agree with the SCX for a couple of reasons. I think if I was running a little more horsepower I could have overcome the additional HP the SCX requires. And with some slight modifications to the cav plate, I might have been able to solve the handling issues. Neither of which I was willing to do. My boat handled like I wanted it to prior to blowing up the original drive. And I didn't want to change that or have to do strange things to get it back to where I liked it.

So I bought two complete MMW drives and rotate them around every 15-20hrs. A full tear down when the oil needs to be changed saves me a little money LOL.

Eli
12-16-2013, 06:21 PM
This is Eli's take away from your experience :D

Ok She's, here's what happened
A few years ago I Blew the snout off the sucker and jammed the shaft in. I decided to take the plunge. You know the pocketbook drill. Dropped it in, and it immediately had a vibration. It rolled over, but the entire handling characteristic changed. It felt noting like it did before. Mine hopped between 65-70. But now it was hopping all the way up to 85 and the handling was almost out of control. I tried everything I knew to get it to calm down.

Unforgiven
12-16-2013, 06:55 PM
Ok She's, here's what happened with my F26/TCM800. This is my particular boat, not to be confused with any other boat, any other makers boat, or even another DCB F26.

A few years ago I grenaded my Teague drive. Blew the snout off the sucker and jammed the drive shaft in to the coupler. After talking to a few people, Kap suggested looking in to a SCX. As far as I knew, no one at the time had put a SCX of a F26. Figured I may as well be the first. So I talked to Imco and decided to take the plunge. Upper, helmet, reservoir, you know the pocketbook drill. Took my boat to someone in Havi, damned if I can remember who. Had them install the Helmet and drive. I reused my old SC lower after I had MMW check it out.

Took the boat to Parker, dropped it in, and it immediately had a vibration I didn't like. Talked to a few more people and came to the conclusion the coupler was bad. Took the boat back to Havi, yanked the engine and replaced the coupler. Ok, now I'm ready to actually test this thing.

Initially I put my 32 back on. I almost couldn't roll the boat over. I mean it was seriously a problem. So went back and put the 30 on. The boat rolled over, but the entire handling characteristic of the boat changed. It felt noting like it did before. F26's hop. Mine hopped between 65-70. They all do. But now it was hopping all the way up to 85 and the handling was almost out of control. I tried everything I knew to get it to calm down. Not like I was driving a new to me boat, I had probably a couple hundred hours of seat time by now.

So I trailered the boat and started looking at the SCX very closely. At the time I didn't have a Merc drive to compare it to, so I took a bunch or measurements and pictures and went home. Other than the upper bearing housing and cav plate, the drives measure identical. My X dim wasn't affected, the prop hub was essentially in the same exact location as it was with the Merc drive. So I moved on to the cav plate. The SCX plate is much larger than the Merc cav plate. By the way, Imco was involved throughout this process, and they were extremely helpful. Great bunch of experienced guys to work with.

I suggested the cav plate was causing the handling issues on my particular boat. Imco suggested trimming the plate so it was more inline with the stock merc drive. At this point I made another executive decision. I asked Imco if they would take the drive back and refund my money. They did. Again, awesome people to work with.

I came to the conclusion that my particular boat simply did not agree with the SCX for a couple of reasons. I think if I was running a little more horsepower I could have overcome the additional HP the SCX requires. And with some slight modifications to the cav plate, I might have been able to solve the handling issues. Neither of which I was willing to do. My boat handled like I wanted it to prior to blowing up the original drive. And I didn't want to change that or have to do strange things to get it back to where I liked it.

So I bought two complete MMW drives and rotate them around every 15-20hrs. A full tear down when the oil needs to be changed saves me a little money LOL.
I remember you telling me about this, also 26redline had some issues and worked it out..this past year we opted to run the SC upper and lower (the upper was Dustin's) I was wanted to get seat time with the new motor before we jumped in with the SCX...We've spoken to alot of people about setups, spoke with the guys at Wilson who have been blueprinting the new lowers.. Dustin ran the SCX with his SC lower this past year. For those that don't know Dustin, He owns and Runs Menace Marine. this guy tests everything he builds...he took his Rootz EFI 1200 motor in his 25 daytona and beat the shit out of that drive.. When he had the SC he knew it's limits ...with the SCX, it's been holding up..His oil changes in the drive confirm that things are looking great. I have Dustins SC on our boat right now and it;s getting tore down next week...So, The boat is headed to Dustins next week so we can finish up our "punch List" A SCX upper will go on with our Lower..We plan on testing in March (when our refueling Outage is over).We really never found out what the boat could do with the SC...(been up to 120 a few times) but have never opened up the boat all the way.. so we can't compare SC to SCX mph numbers..what we are looking for is a drive that will survive the output of our motor...I don't beat on my boat..I take very good care of it...but I'd like to know I can run this thing at 120 mph and not have to worry about our drive...if the SCX will give me a Drive thats is dependable, keeps my currently handling and still make 120 passes...I'm good with that... losing a few MPH to gain a dependable drive is well worth it..