PDA

View Full Version : It's always been my favorite...

niceguyeddie
12-14-2013, 12:00 AM
I've cream

niceguyeddie
12-14-2013, 12:03 AM
Anyone else grow up in the hood where they had actual soft serve trucks driving around?

Napanutt
12-14-2013, 12:22 AM
It was either the coconut pineapple or the strawberry cheese cake.
They were both good.

mrs.daytona
12-14-2013, 12:42 AM
I didn't grow up in the hood with soft serve, but we had 10 cent scoops of Thrifty ice cream!!!

GRADS
12-14-2013, 01:05 AM
15 cents one scoop, 30 cents two scoop, 45 cents three scoops......we had a Thrifty by our junior high school. I used to throw a single scoop to the girls and then take them behind the building and make out. Two scoops got you a stink finger.

Eli
12-14-2013, 02:40 AM
15 cents one scoop, 30 cents two scoop, 45 cents three scoops......we had a Thrifty by our junior high school. I used to throw a single scoop to the girls and then take them behind the building and make out. Two scoops got you a stink finger.

You're so gross! It's Ice Cream! Keep it clean buddy ;)

I had the 3 scoops for 45 cents when I was a kid...Fat Eli :(

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

nowski
12-14-2013, 05:39 AM
Anyone else grow up in the hood where they had actual soft serve trucks driving around? I grew up in the Norwalk Hood. The ice cream trucks that served soft serve in our hood were Dipsy Doodle Ice Cream.

Side Note: When cruising Whittier Blvd. in Whittier we always told the girls we lived in Downey. You would never see them again if you told them you lived in Norwalk...

nowski
12-14-2013, 05:47 AM
I didn't grow up in the hood with soft serve, but we had 10 cent scoops of Thrifty ice cream!!!When Thrifties 1st opened up in our neighborhood in 1967 there scoops were 5 cents single, 10 cents double and 15 cents for the triple. Those were the hood prices. In my teen years I had a girl friend that worked at Thrifties in the ice cream dept. (hand dip) she hated that job...

Paul65K
12-14-2013, 06:20 AM
When Thrifties 1st opened up in our neighborhood in 1967 there scoops were 5 cents single, 10 cents double and 15 cents for the triple. Those were the hood prices. In my teen years I had a girl friend that worked at Thrifties in the ice cream dept. (hand dip) she hated that job...
Whoa.......I'm pretty old and even I don't remember it being that cheap :yikes:

SBS933
12-14-2013, 08:30 AM
I grew up in the Norwalk Hood. The ice cream trucks that served soft serve in our hood were Dipsy Doodle Ice Cream. Yep 10 cents forever, then they started raising the prices.

Side Note: When cruising Whittier Blvd. in Whittier we always told the girls we lived in Downey. You would never see them again if you told them you lived in Norwalk... We use to cruise Whittier all the time in my buddys 66 Chevelle.

2manymustangs
12-14-2013, 08:45 AM
Anyone else grow up in the hood where they had actual soft serve trucks driving around?

Maaannnn, we didn't have a truck that came by bcus we were in a rural area BUT...... We had this area dairy called Patke's dairy, strait from the cow to the cream separator to the soft serve machines in their stores... We had locations in every direction we would travel... North, South, East, West... I think they had 5 or 6 locations around us in their prime...

I think I could eat half my weight in ice cream, you would have to bring this up man... :love:

GRADS
12-14-2013, 11:01 AM
You're so gross! It's Ice Cream! Keep it clean buddy ;)

I had the 3 scoops for 45 cents when I was a kid...Fat Eli :(

Okay, I won't even tell you what 3 scoops got you behind the building.....

Napanutt
12-14-2013, 11:12 AM
I grew up in the Norwalk Hood. The ice cream trucks that served soft serve in our hood were Dipsy Doodle Ice Cream.

Side Note: When cruising Whittier Blvd. in Whittier we always told the girls we lived in Downey. You would never see them again if you told them you lived in Norwalk...

That's funny. I lived in Norwalk for a year or so when I was around 6 or 7. Actually was there when that earthquake in 1970 or 71 hit.

WESTERNAERO
12-14-2013, 12:44 PM

Those are pretty common all over New York city.

niceguyeddie
12-14-2013, 12:55 PM
I grew up in the Norwalk Hood. The ice cream trucks that served soft serve in our hood were Dipsy Doodle Ice Cream.

Haha!
I grew up in Azusa and the same went for the girls in Glendora.

I remember my parents taking me to Thrifty's off of Azusa Ave and Gladstone back before it was torn down. It's such a bummer every time I go to Azusa and see all my childhood memories torn down or turned into something else. Kinda funny... my ex gf and next door neighbor (how we met) is a little older than I and she worked at the movie theater in Azusa that my friends and I would sneak into. Small world. She grew up in West Covina.

Those ice cream trucks were the shit. Nothing like sitting on the curb with a banana split on a summer afternoon! My neighbor had full on metal and wood shop at his house and I was the kid with all the skateboard handrails and boxes, so all the kids that skateboarded hung out at my house so the ice cream truck always knew to come by my street lol.

Maaannnn, we didn't have a truck that came by bcus we were in a rural area BUT...... We had this area dairy called Patke's dairy, strait from the cow to the cream separator to the soft serve machines in their stores... We had locations in every direction we would travel... North, South, East, West... I think they had 5 or 6 locations around us in their prime...

I think I could eat half my weight in ice cream, you would have to bring this up man... :love:

That's awesome!

CampbellCarl
12-14-2013, 02:43 PM

We use to cruise Whittier all the time in my buddys 66 Chevelle.

Ok, so what years are we talking about here.......

Sadly, most all of the dealerships along Whittier Blvd are gone....Don Steves Chevrolet, MacAllister Cadillac, Board Ford, Harris Oldsmobile, Whittier Chrysler, Ben Neimi Buick, Jones Chevrolet, Urich Lincoln Mercury.....all gone..

Wendi
12-14-2013, 02:55 PM
You are so disgusting!!!

Wendi
12-14-2013, 02:58 PM
Thifty I've cream is the best!

HB Vic
12-14-2013, 02:59 PM
Sadly, most all of the dealerships along Whittier Blvd are gone....Don Steves Chevrolet, MacAllister Cadillac, Board Ford, Harris Oldsmobile, Whittier Chrysler, Ben Neimi Buick, Jones Chevrolet, Urich Lincoln Mercury.....all gone..

Most of the American made car dealers across the country are gone now. Honda, Kia and Hyundai rule now. And that's pretty fucking sad.

GRADS
12-14-2013, 04:08 PM
Thifty I've cream is the best!

I've cream? And you called me disgusting? You're obviously a 3 scoop girl. ;)

Napanutt
12-14-2013, 04:12 PM
I've cream? And you called me disgusting? Your obviously a 3 scoop girl. ;)

I think it's "you're" Mr. disgusting. ;)

Eli
12-14-2013, 04:15 PM
I want ice cream now

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

WESTERNAERO
12-14-2013, 04:18 PM
I want ice cream now

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!
You gonna get it GRADS style? You know, double fudge packed with an extra large cone....:lucky:

Eli
12-14-2013, 04:23 PM
You gonna get it GRADS style? You know, double fudge packed with an extra large cone....:lucky:

I don't like cones

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

Eli
12-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Chocolate Malted Crunch...yummy http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/15/uhyqysum.jpg

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

bb88
12-14-2013, 05:20 PM
Chocolate Malted Crunch...yummy http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/15/uhyqysum.jpg

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

Little known fact....ice cream is best eaten with a plastic spoon.

Eli
12-14-2013, 05:30 PM
Little known fact....ice cream is best eaten with a plastic spoon.

I didn't know that

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

nowski
12-14-2013, 06:15 PM
Sadly, most all of the dealerships along Whittier Blvd are gone....Don Steves Chevrolet, MacAllister Cadillac, Board Ford, Harris Oldsmobile, Whittier Chrysler, Ben Neimi Buick, Jones Chevrolet, Urich Lincoln Mercury.....all gone..[/QUOTE] And if you wanted to by a muscle car back then you went to Stick City on Whittier Blvd.

[QUOTE=CampbellCarl;68756]Ok, so what years are we talking about here....... We're talking late 70's to mid 80's. I actually met my wife for the 1st time at Whittier Blvd. in the late 70's. I later met her again at a friends barbecue about 8 years later but this time I didn't let her get away. Ironically my parents had a similar situation but the time span the 2nd time they met was 5 years.