PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Nascar Motor?

westair
12-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Looks like it in one of the PS boats at Bluewater ..... but I don't know the Dodges well enough to know, is this a small block?

HB Vic
12-05-2013, 06:42 PM
I'll probably get schooled, but isn't ps/ss 340cu max?

westair
12-05-2013, 06:45 PM
I don't really know.

SBS933
12-05-2013, 06:45 PM
And it's not a Hemi. Ok never mind

WESTERNAERO
12-05-2013, 06:47 PM
Yes, it's a small block.

WESTERNAERO
12-05-2013, 07:00 PM

Is it 340 inch max? I thought that dodge motor was 360 inch?

HB Vic
12-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Paging GN7

WESTERNAERO
12-05-2013, 07:07 PM
Now you've got me googling shit, those motors are 358 inches. Wonder how they're dropping 20 inches from that thing.

westair
12-05-2013, 07:07 PM
The fact that it's a Dodge is why I took the pic, I think its usually all chevy motors.

WESTERNAERO
12-05-2013, 07:10 PM
I think you pick those engines up used for around 5-6 grand. Could be a good way to go for the power they're making. Definitely have good parts in them.

gn7
12-05-2013, 07:26 PM
You are only off by 100 cubic inches.
No. SS is limited to .060 over bore 440(427 + .060 over bore) and is a lot of spec parts like block, heads, pistons, crankshaft etc. Spec gasoline

PS is limited to 500 inches, and unlimited modifcations. UNBLOWN, methanol fuel is OK

The Nascar engines are only PS legal.

gn7
12-05-2013, 07:30 PM
I think you pick those engines up used for around 5-6 grand. Could be a good way to go for the power they're making. Definitely have good parts in them.

But don't break it. Things like camshafts cost 2 arms and a leg + first born. Pistons and connecting rods are slightly less, but still costly. We can't even discuss the cost of replacing a head in you need one a few years from now. The Dodge major component parts are already getting scarce.

They are still 150-200HP short of a well build BBC Pro Stock engine. But then so is a legal SS engine, and they own the PS class right now. Nobody is building full tilt Pro Stock engines. Most are just warmed over 496 strokers.

A REAL Pro Stock engine should make 1000HP.

WESTERNAERO
12-05-2013, 07:39 PM
But don't break it. Things like camshafts cost 2 arms and a leg + first born. Pistons and connecting rods are slightly less, but still costly. We can't even discuss the cost of replacing a head in you need one a few years from now. The Dodge major component parts are already getting scarce.

Very true. Ran into the same deal with the Buick stage 2 v6's. some parts were cheap because they were SBC stuff, other parts were god awful expensive.

HB Vic
12-05-2013, 08:07 PM
You are only off by 100 cubic inches.
No. SS is limited to .060 over bore 440(427 + .060 over bore) and is a lot of spec parts like block, heads, pistons, crankshaft etc. Spec gasoline

PS is limited to 500 inches, and unlimited modifcations. UNBLOWN, methanol fuel is OK

The Nascar engines are only PS legal.

340/440 I knew it ended in 40 lol

K is blown or turbo 500 correct? (I hope I get this one right :D )

gn7
12-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Nothing about those engines is anything like a small block Dodge. The single biggest factor is the bore centers, which throws everything else off. The crank, cam, heads. Camshafts are ground on 60MM cores, valve layout is completely different than any shelf stock piston and the heads are set up for 6MM stems. Rockers arm assemblies are serious money. Rods use Honda journal sizes. Only reasonably priced manifolds are all cast single 4 bbl manifolds.
The look like a steal until you need something. Then they are a hole to throw money in.

The SB2 was probably the best buy at the time they were selling them. At least a good portion of the parts interchange with SBC if you needed to. And there is a ton of the stuff out there.
The Dodge, new Ford and the new RO7 are pure money pits.

gn7
12-05-2013, 08:11 PM
340/440 I knew it ended in 40 lol

K is blown or turbo 500 correct? (I hope I get this one right :D )

Nope wrong again. K is 470 inches and a 8-71 blower in a open boat. There is no limit in a capsule boat, blower or engine, and nitro is legal

SBS933
12-05-2013, 08:14 PM
WOW, Sounds kinda like when we use to use Suzuki rods in the Yamaha's. trippy

HB Vic
12-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Nope wrong again. K is 470 inches and a 8-71 blower in a open boat. There is no limit in a capsule boat, blower or engine, and nitro is legal

Memory is the second thing to go, I forgot what the first thing is :D

Thank you!

gn7
12-05-2013, 08:33 PM
Memory is the second thing to go, I forgot what the first thing is :D

Thank you!

No big deal. I am sure you could school me on cheeses and Firball

HB Vic
12-05-2013, 08:46 PM
No big deal. I am sure you could school me on cheeses and Firball

Either that or we could talk about P&L statements, quick & current ratios, DSO, or GL trial balances. Nah, boring.
How about MTA's on a directional phase distance relay like a Schweitzer or go old school and run a plot on a KD-10. Nah, even more boring.
How about weld procedures for 9 chrome. Yeah, now we're cooking with gas :D

gn7
12-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Either that or we could talk about P&L statements, quick & current ratios, DSO, or GL trial balances. Nah, boring.
How about MTA's on a directional phase distance relay like a Schweitzer or go old school and run a plot on a KD-10. Nah, even more boring.
How about weld procedures for 9 chrome. Yeah, now we're cooking with gas :D

This is a boating site. Well stick to cheeses and Fireball, and I promise not to discuss geo thermal exchange of various soils at differing depths, with bi and co-axial tube, or NOX certification of 100 million BTU tri fuel boilers.

Shooter will refrain from schooling us on the top speed of shuffling around a 747 with a FMC.

HB Vic
12-05-2013, 09:13 PM
This is a boating site. Well stick to cheeses and Fireball, and I promise not to discuss geo thermal exchange of various soils at differing depths, with bi and co-axial tube, or NOX certification of 100 million BTU tri fuel boilers.

Shooter will refrain from schooling us on the top speed of shuffling around a 747 with a FMC.

Well not you got me interested in tri fuel boilers. Natural gas, fuel oil (not in Ca right?) and what? Or are we talking combustible fuels? floating/fluidized bed stuff? Do tell :D

Sharp shooter
12-05-2013, 09:22 PM

We only shove 737's and we use Stewart and Stevenson tractors that have all been converted to pussy electric. :thumbsdown

I did modify this one (Courtesy of Shelley Anderson) about 10 years ago (pre electric). :D

HB Vic
12-05-2013, 09:25 PM
We only shove 737's and we use Stewart and Stevenson tractors that have all been converted to pussy electric. :thumbsdown

I did modify this one (Courtesy of Shelley Anderson) about 10 years ago (pre electric). :D

Interesting, didn't realize S&S made those. S&S used to build packaged GE aero derivative power plants back in the late 80's early 90's. There are a ton of them still around So Cal. S&S used to have a pretty good sized office/shop in Corona and I think their HQ was in SD maybe?

Sharp shooter
12-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Interesting, didn't realize S&S made those. S&S used to build packaged GE aero derivative power plants back in the late 80's early 90's. There are a ton of them still around So Cal. S&S used to have a pretty good sized office/shop in Corona and I think their HQ was in SD maybe?

They make a full line of airport ground equipment.

gn7
12-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Well not you got me interested in tri fuel boilers. Natural gas, fuel oil (not in Ca right?) and what? Or are we talking combustible fuels? floating/fluidized bed stuff? Do tell :D

Natural gas, fuel oil(diesel) and propane. Mostly critical condition situations. Propane is only used until the diesel can get online. Usually no more than a 50lb cylinder attached to the system. Primarily if there is a earthquake or some odd disruption of gas service. Same holds with tri fuel generators, except they are natural gas, gasoline and propane. And of course the NOX certs for those as well.

HB Vic
12-06-2013, 07:10 AM
Natural gas, fuel oil(diesel) and propane. Mostly critical condition situations. Propane is only used until the diesel can get online. Usually no more than a 50lb cylinder attached to the system. Primarily if there is a earthquake or some odd disruption of gas service. Same holds with tri fuel generators, except they are natural gas, gasoline and propane. And of course the NOX certs for those as well.

So you do the CEM's stuff?

The Doctor
12-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Now you've got me googling shit, those motors are 358 inches. Wonder how they're dropping 20 inches from that thing.

Shorter stroke crank. We picked up a couple of the GM versions and they are "trick" units! Bryant - Ultralights!

ChumpChange
12-06-2013, 11:35 AM

Definitely boring..........:realitycheck: