PDA

View Full Version : Changing out shifter controls

Music to my Ears
12-04-2013, 02:41 PM
Has anyone changed out their shifter controls from a Gaffrig to Livorsi's recently? The one's I've used on other boats shift so much more smoothly and they look quite a bit better. It looks fairly simple but I want to make sure I know what I'm getting into.

Stainless
12-04-2013, 02:45 PM
Can you post a pic of the bottom? Imagine they are the same as Mercury Zero Effort, there not to bad especially if it's one shift and one throttle.

Music to my Ears
12-04-2013, 02:49 PM
Can you post a pic of the bottom? Imagine they are the same as Mercury Zero Effort, there not to bad especially if it's one shift and one throttle.

I haven't seen a picture of the bottom. Good question though. I talked with someone from CP performance and it sounded like just the 2 cables. The only question being if the existing cables needed to be changed out, it would be a little more work. I was just curious if that was all that it entailed.

GRADS
12-04-2013, 02:52 PM
I've done it and it's actually pretty easy. There are also some wires involved.

Music to my Ears
12-04-2013, 02:55 PM

Easy, that's what I want to hear. Gotta be honest, I'm not the most prolific mechanic.

Stainless
12-04-2013, 02:56 PM
X2, mine have little hooks on them to connect the cables to controller. As Grads said you will have trim wires to plug in or splice, if you have trim on handle. All in all its a do it yourself project.

WESTERNAERO
12-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Is there an installation diagram online or could CP send you one? If so, it should say the cut-out required and the hole locations for the screws. You could then measure what you already have.

She's Mine
12-04-2013, 03:00 PM
Just make sure you identify and mark what side the cables are connected to. They are a push/ pull system to one side of the shifter will have the opposite effect.

I just learned this when I went from my throttle cable came from the stern side of the motor to now it comes from the bow side of the motor.

Other than that, like GRADS said. It's easy.

Music to my Ears
12-04-2013, 03:04 PM
Is there an installation diagram online or could CP send you one? If so, it should say the cut-out required and the hole locations for the screws. You could then measure what you already have.

I would imagine so. Unfortunately my boat is out in Havasu and I won't be back out there until the beginning of April to measure. It looks to be the same size.

Music to my Ears
12-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Thanks for all of the input guys. Very helpful!

Brian
12-04-2013, 03:07 PM
Should be a easy removal and drop in. I have done several. Just don't forget about the trim switch wires before you start yanking.

HB Vic
12-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Are you changing just because it shifts hard or changing just to change?

Stainless
12-04-2013, 06:39 PM

Good question.

CH3NO2

Menace Marine
12-04-2013, 06:39 PM

Good question. Chances are if its hard to shift changing shifters won't fix it. If it is awkward that's a different story. As far as the install it is very straightforward. If you have any questions along the way feel free to give me a call. I can talk you through it.
Dustin
661-755-0620

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

WMC
12-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Good question. Chances are if its hard to shift changing shifters won't fix it. If it is awkward that's a different story. As far as the install it is very straightforward. If you have any questions along the way feel free to give me a call. I can talk you through it.
Dustin
661-755-0620

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

sent from WMC's phone

Music to my Ears
12-05-2013, 08:45 AM

There's no issue with it, it's just that the Livorsi shifts so much more smoothly. Plus they look much better IMO. Probably more costly then I really need, just wanted to do something on the boat this off season.

Music to my Ears
12-05-2013, 08:46 AM
Dustin
661-755-0620

Very cool offer Dustin. Thanks!:thumbup:

Unforgiven
12-05-2013, 09:39 AM
Thanks for all of the input guys. Very helpful!

It was real easy..but I do work on stuff when I have the time...BUT...IF GRADS CAN DO IT, ANY 1st grader could do it....

GRADS
12-05-2013, 09:41 AM
It was real easy..but I do work on stuff when I have the time...BUT...IF GRADS CAN DO IT, ANY 1st grader could do it....

That is true!

Music to my Ears
03-13-2014, 03:59 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/14/ujy6uma2.jpg

Pulled the trigger and it came in today. Looking forward to installing it. Thanks again for the feedback!

Stainless
03-13-2014, 04:02 PM

Pulled the trigger and it came in today. Looking forward to installing it. Thanks again for the feedback!

That's a piece of art! :)

CH3NO2

28eliminator
03-13-2014, 04:16 PM

So is your boat left hand drive?

Music to my Ears
03-13-2014, 05:26 PM
No, right hand. My original Gaffrig control were set up this way, with the bent forward design.

28eliminator
03-13-2014, 06:09 PM
No, right hand. My original Gaffrig control were set up this way, with the bent forward design.

Ohh.. Got it. Mine are the Morse shifters, bent backwards... Kinda like me :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Music to my Ears
03-14-2014, 07:27 AM
That's a piece of art! :)

CH3NO2

I agree!

Music to my Ears
03-14-2014, 07:30 AM

:lmao1:

kevnmcd
03-14-2014, 12:11 PM

The Nordic Heat has the shifter on a slanted part of the dash so the shifters need to bend up or they would be too low unlike the Eliminators that have the sticks on a level surface. BTW, you would be very happy if you upgraded to these. The Morse shifters are no where close to these. They are so smooth it is amazing. I have them on my Hallett and couldn't believe the difference. In fact after MTME drove mine he had to go buy himself a set. :D

Nice looking shifters there MTME! You going to install them yourself or pay someone else to do it?

Music to my Ears
03-14-2014, 12:40 PM
Well said! And I'm going to pay someone multiple drinks to help me install. Should be a 3 drink install I reckon!

kevnmcd
03-14-2014, 12:55 PM
Well said! And I'm going to pay someone multiple drinks to help me install. Should be a 3 drink install I reckon!

I'm thinking it is going to a lot more than 3 drinks.