PDA

View Full Version : Who here just had ACL surgery?

Ziggy
12-03-2013, 11:54 AM
I got a couple questions if you don't mind. Thanks.

From my POS T-mobile thingie

Sharp shooter
12-03-2013, 11:57 AM
What can I do for you?

The Doctor
12-03-2013, 12:04 PM
I've had seven knee surgeries. One complete ACL reconstruction but my son David has had two complete reconstructions on the same knee. He later high jumped 7'0" on the reconstructed knee in college and now competes in triathlons. Just Thanksgiving morning he placed 5th in a big one here in Arizona.

Sharp shooter
12-03-2013, 12:17 PM
I've had seven knee surgeries. One complete ACL reconstruction but my son David has had two complete reconstructions on the same knee. He later high jumped 7'0" on the reconstructed knee in college and now competes in triathlons. Just Thanksgiving morning he placed 5th in a big one here in Arizona.

I had the Allograft (cadaver) reconstruction which you get if you're over 40.

Napanutt
12-03-2013, 12:29 PM
I had ACL reconstruction about 15 years ago. A tendon from my shin was used for mine. No problems to date for me.

2manymustangs
12-03-2013, 12:31 PM

Not to JACK Ziggy's thread by I had a leading ortho surgeon tell me I am a lost cause for ARTHOSCOPIC surgery on my hips... Without even taking a second look at my xrays he said "double hip replacement, your too far gone for laproscopic surgery"...

I'm going to see how long I can hold this off by loosing 50 lbs... Surprise...... :( I turn 50 this month...

I had something similar to the ACL surgery done on my right bicep when the tendon broke from the radius bone... I can lift as much now as I ever could, pushups, no pain whatsoever...

Unforgiven

I've had the same..my knee is a pile of shit..waiting to turn 50 so I can can get total replacement...

ChumpChange
I called Kobe but he doesn't want me to give his personal cell number out. Sorry.

Ziggy
12-03-2013, 12:39 PM

That's what I'm scheduled for in 9 days.:o. How has your recovery been going?
My doc says they put me on controlled movement machine right after surgery and for a few weeks at home.

Ziggy
12-03-2013, 12:42 PM
I guess I'm worried to be layed up for too long, I got stuff to do. Plus I dislike pain.

Unforgiven
12-03-2013, 12:53 PM
[QUOTE=Ziggy;63878]That's what I'm scheduled for in 9 days.:o. How has your recovery been going?
My doc says they put me on controlled movement machine right after surgery and for a few weeks at home.

they did the same to me..about a day later, they showed up at the house with a limited motion machine..my knee had a pain killer IV plumbed into it..lasted for about a week..then the Doc yanked it out...I had alot of damage to my knee, so PT was slow..I had to learn how to walk again..I've had multiply surgeries since then..the ACL is holding up fine. but now I'm bone on bone as all or most of the cartilage is gone..On my last surgery, Doctor tells me thats it..nothing more we can do until I get Total Knee Replacement..So I wait...sometimes the knee works good and sometimes it doesn't..and works good doesn't mean I get to run or ski anymore..It means I get to walk...Somedays pain pills are your best friend...I can tell when it's gonna rain too..the knee will "kindly" remind you of a upcoming weather change.....

Sharp shooter
12-03-2013, 12:53 PM
That's what I'm scheduled for in 9 days.:o. How has your recovery been going?

I thought they would do that with me too, but the Dr. I have says they've had better results (tighter knee) with no movement after surgery for a week followed by gradual movement that I initiate myself 2 minutes a day 3 times a day. I have to reach 90 degrees after 6 weeks. They did side by side studies on rehab and they swear by it.

Unfortunately for me I contracted a blood clot which has slowed down my rehab. The clot makes you swell up and then you can't move very well.

This is my DOCTOR (http://www.arrowheadortho.com/asgharhusain/).

Unforgiven
12-03-2013, 12:55 PM
I guess I'm worried to be layed up for too long, I got stuff to do. Plus I dislike pain.

Imagine about 6 to 8 weeks off....minor clean up's you can be back in 10 days..

Sharp shooter
12-03-2013, 12:56 PM

I've had practically zero pain from the knee surgery. They hooked up a pain pump to my hip that I took home with me and later removed by myself (2 days later). I took 2 Perkosets total one each night after just to help me sleep followed by a couple of days of Tylenol and that was it.... well, until the blood clot pain came. Blood clot pain is gnarly!

Get Some
12-03-2013, 01:00 PM
I have had both knees with full acl reconstruction. Left was patella tendon and the right was ham string tendon. If you are going cadaver tendon the recovery is far less pain and quicker recovery.
Make sure you keep the ice machine working and the movement machine on for as long as u can stand it.

Sharp shooter
12-03-2013, 01:10 PM
I have had both knees with full acl reconstruction. Left was patella tendon and the right was ham string tendon. If you are going cadaver tendon the recovery is far less pain and quicker recovery.
Make sure you keep the ice machine working and the movement machine on for as long as u can stand it.

The told me 6 to 9 months and I don't have a motion machine....

show us your car man!

Ziggy
12-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Mine says I can put weight on it right away if the brace is locked straight. Motion machine daily as much as I can. Did say the first couple weeks is kinda miserable.
I'm worried about just getting to and sitting on the throne:D:o

Ziggy
12-03-2013, 01:25 PM
The told me 6 to 9 months and I don't have a motion machine....

show us your car man!

I've been told by 9 months I should be able to do sports again....just in time to get my other knee done, needs total replacement.

Bobby V
12-03-2013, 01:30 PM
I've been told by 9 months I should be able to do sports again....just in time to get my other knee done, needs total replacement.

I have a freind that I ski with in Mammoth. The doctor told her due to her age 52 that she was a little old to have surgery. She just wears a brace and skiis just fine. At your age why did you choose the surgery.?

Sharp shooter
12-03-2013, 01:45 PM
they did the same to me..about a day later, they showed up at the house with a limited motion machine..my knee had a pain killer IV plumbed into it..lasted for about a week..then the Doc yanked it out...I had alot of damage to my knee, so PT was slow..I had to learn how to walk again..I've had multiply surgeries since then..the ACL is holding up fine. but now I'm bone on bone as all or most of the cartilage is gone..On my last surgery, Doctor tells me thats it..nothing more we can do until I get Total Knee Replacement..So I wait...sometimes the knee works good and sometimes it doesn't..and works good doesn't mean I get to run or ski anymore..It means I get to walk...Somedays pain pills are your best friend...I can tell when it's gonna rain too..the knee will "kindly" remind you of a upcoming weather change.....

Someday we will all have fake knees hips. :D

2manymustangs
12-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Someday we will all have fake knees hips. :D

They may as well just replace it all, from your hip down past your knee... One long slice from top to the shin bone... ;) Some nice engineered composite pieces...

With oil bath joints, filled with LUCAS....

SBS933
12-03-2013, 03:26 PM
I had ACL reconstruction about 15 years ago. A tendon from my shin was used for mine. No problems to date for me. Had the same surgery in 1987

Ziggy
12-03-2013, 03:37 PM
I have a freind that I ski with in Mammoth. The doctor told her due to her age 52 that she was a little old to have surgery. She just wears a brace and skiis just fine. At your age why did you choose the surgery.?

I've not had an ACL in my right knee since 1979 and have lived pretty normal. Wore braces to ski but went from black diamonds to green hills, play golf and racketball wearing a sleeve. Could no longer play soccer. Now loosing the stability in the second knee I'm pretty lame and can't do most of thoose things anymore.
Left knee is healthy other than this newly ruptured acl so its best to fix it before I fuck it up worse.
Right knee is on the schedule for full replacement due to it being bone on bone and arthitis.

Paul65K
12-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Hey Zig,

No ACL here but plenty of knee surgeries (7) and long recovery experience.......gimme a call and I'll give you some tips on the physio stuff. At a minimum we can drink some wine and compare scars :D

The Doctor
12-03-2013, 05:12 PM

Mine was so long ago that they used a technique that is obsolete called the "Andrews Reconstruction." My daughter, did her rotations for a well-respected Orthopedic Surgeon and she told him her dad had an Andrews. His first question was does he still walk? Maybe that's why I limp.

nowski
12-03-2013, 07:37 PM
I had the Allograft (cadaver) reconstruction which you get if you're over 40. I had this surgery done just over 19 years ago (7/94) when I was 34 years old. I'm just now starting to have problems with this knee. I actually had an MRI on this knee last week and I'm waiting to hear from the Dr. with the results. I was riding a bike within 2 weeks after the surgery and I snow skied the 94/95 ski season without any issues. The surgeon was Dr. Miahael Bayer who at the time was a pioneer in this field. I wish you luck on whatever avenue you take...

Sharp shooter
12-03-2013, 09:02 PM
I had this surgery done just over 19 years ago (7/94) when I was 34 years old. I'm just now starting to have problems with this knee. I actually had an MRI on this knee last week and I'm waiting to hear from the Dr. with the results. I was riding a bike within 2 weeks after the surgery and I snow skied the 94/95 ski season without any issues. The surgeon was Dr. Miahael Bayer who at the time was a pioneer in this field. I wish you luck on whatever avenue you take...

I'd love to get 19 years out of this. Considering I plan to keep racing moto the odds are probably against me. :D Thanks for posting!:thumbup: