PDA

View Full Version : good customer service or.......... cover up perhaps?

McRib
12-03-2013, 08:27 AM
My mom has a lexus 250 from o6. Bought it new and it was the new model with the body change and new motor etc etc. Over the years she has drove it non chalantly back and forth to work and palm desert for her get away weekends.over the past year or 2 she has felt it become a lil sluggish and would intermittently fall all over its self. At that point she'd stop and let it idle and and it would would its self out on its own but never had the power she remembered when it was new. Its an 06 with 96k on it btwSo a coworker with the same car came to her a couple of weeks ago with a dealer story neither could believe and were left scratching their heads together as to why what happened happened.my mom calls me and explains what went down with her friend from work and I was left wondering wtf. I asked her when she was due for an oil change which see responded with the fact that it was due and she had an appt on the up coming thursday. Knowing what we knew I told my mom to not ask about anything at first and she did just that.a few hours later she got a call from the service writer who asked a few key questions that my mom answered and then he hit her." I know u only came in for an oil change but we connected to the car with our diagnostic machine and ran some tests and well..... Ma'am we are going to be rebuilding your engine from top to bottom and it will be free of charge"My mom proceeded to ask LOTS of why questions and was answered with. "Its something Toyota/lexus is doing for first gen is250 owners as a courtesy" WTF? Apperanty there is a mfg known flaw in the first gen motors that they are secretly word of mouth doing something about. No formal recall no offical service bulletin NOTHING!My mom showed me the receipt after it was done and the laundry list of parts was huge! Pistons, ring sets, rods, gaskets, valves, springs, cam, decarbon interior of block and head etc etc. Were talkin total works!She got it back last week and said it was like she picked it up from the fountain of youth. Lol. She is now sitting on an 06 is250 with 96k on it and a brand new motor. I couldn't believe it. So ifbu have a first gen is250 take it to the dealer and ask about the enginge deal. The care has to meet certain criteria but Apperanty thats a lil loose.

Paul65K
12-03-2013, 08:33 AM
I don't know why but it seems like I've heard this somewhere before :rolleyes

My mom has a lexus 250 from o6. Bought it new and it was the new model with the body change and new motor etc etc. Over the years she has drove it non chalantly back and forth to work and palm desert for her get away weekends.over the past year or 2 she has felt it become a lil sluggish and would intermittently fall all over its self. At that point she'd stop and let it idle and and it would would its self out on its own but never had the power she remembered when it was new. Its an 06 with 96k on it btwSo a coworker with the same car came to her a couple of weeks ago with a dealer story neither could believe and were left scratching their heads together as to why what happened happened.my mom calls me and explains what went down with her friend from work and I was left wondering wtf. I asked her when she was due for an oil change which see responded with the fact that it was due and she had an appt on the up coming thursday. Knowing what we knew I told my mom to not ask about anything at first and she did just that.a few hours later she got a call from the service writer who asked a few key questions that my mom answered and then he hit her." I know u only came in for an oil change but we connected to the car with our diagnostic machine and ran some tests and well..... Ma'am we are going to be rebuilding your engine from top to bottom and it will be free of charge"My mom proceeded to ask LOTS of why questions and was answered with. "Its something Toyota/lexus is doing for first gen is250 owners as a courtesy" WTF? Apperanty there is a mfg known flaw in the first gen motors that they are secretly word of mouth doing something about. No formal recall no offical service bulletin NOTHING!My mom showed me the receipt after it was done and the laundry list of parts was huge! Pistons, ring sets, rods, gaskets, valves, springs, cam, decarbon interior of block and head etc etc. Were talkin total works!She got it back last week and said it was like she picked it up from the fountain of youth. Lol. She is now sitting on an 06 is250 with 96k on it and a brand new motor. I couldn't believe it. So ifbu have a first gen is250 take it to the dealer and ask about the enginge deal. The care has to meet certain criteria but Apperanty thats a lil loose.

McRib
12-03-2013, 08:35 AM
Where did u hear this before? This just happened in the past 3 weeks.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Paul65K
12-03-2013, 08:36 AM
Where did u hear this before? This just happened in the past 3 weeks.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using TapatalkI saw it on the internet......oh like 5 minutes ago or so :hilarious:

McRib
12-03-2013, 08:37 AM
Lol. Idk what ur talking about. ;)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Jefftowz
12-03-2013, 09:35 AM
My Buddy was shop foreman at our local Lexus store, from the stories he has told me in the past it sounds reasonable, If you bring your car in for a recall they wash it, and fill your tank and give you a loaner... Amazing service.

FormulaZR
12-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Copied from another site:

On the Club Lexus forum, this has been a big discussion since Lexus announced that they would be replacing piston rings basically rebuilding the engine on all Lexus IS 250 models.

This is directly from the letter:
################################################## ###################################
Intermittently runs rough after coming to a stop with the engine at operating temperature.
Intermittently runs rough with engine misfires present after a cold soak startup.

If this condition occurs one or more of the Diagnostic Trouble Codes* (DTC's) P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P304, P305, and/or P0306 may be recorded
*The check engine light may illuminate for reasons unrelated to this condition.
################################################## ########################

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/automotive/1935211-lexus-replacing-piston-rings-lexus-250-a.html#ixzz2mQtf3Bit

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-second-generation/655541-is250-carbon-build-up-csp.html

icb1
12-04-2013, 08:16 AM
We had first gen new body GS 300 (06) had similar issues but botom line they stepped up and took care of the car we only had 60k when it happened

Slowride
12-04-2013, 01:05 PM
From looking at those codes, they're probably trying to head off emissions lawsuits related to catalytic converter issues from misfires.

ChumpChange
12-04-2013, 02:47 PM
I'm going to go with Average Customer Service. It sucks that your mom had to drive around in an inferior car without being notified. At the same time, if safety was not a concern, then no recall was necessarily needed which is why I would say it's not a cover up and not good customer service.