PDA

View Full Version : Look how low Folsom Lake is! (pics)

GRADS
11-23-2013, 07:41 PM
I cruised out to the lake today to do some paddling and while I was there I tried to snap some pics from the same spots that I did in May while Big Wake Weekend was going on. At the time in May I thought the lake was kind of low as it was down about 25' from the top. As of today it is down 90'! :yikes: These pictures show just a small portion of the lake but for the most part it has returned to being a river like how it was before the dam was built.

If you look closely you can see a few truck/trailers and where they are currently launching

For those of you that came to Big Wake Weekend, this picture is taken from the outer side of where the H1 Unlimiteds were racing.

Normally where I'm standing would be under at least 85' of water. Way off in the distance you can see the ramp where we normally launch.

ChumpChange
11-23-2013, 07:45 PM
That's crazy!

HB Vic
11-23-2013, 07:50 PM
Pretty sad for sure.

How is it possible to even boat?

Paul65K
11-23-2013, 08:18 PM
Damn.....hopefully the recent rain and snow will help (a little)??

28eliminator
11-23-2013, 08:24 PM
WOW.. What river feed Folsom?

GRADS
11-23-2013, 09:23 PM
Damn.....hopefully the recent rain and snow will help (a little)??
It hasn't yet, it's still going down.

WOW.. What river feed Folsom?
The South and North forks of the American River.

Tishimself
11-23-2013, 09:28 PM
All the Almond tree planting up here is sucking the lakes dry. Not sure that any amount of rain can keep them looking better than this. BYW, this is EVERY lake in NorCal, not just Folsom. Don Pedro is nearly empty. One of the reasons I threw the boat in storage at the end of August. Trees that had not been seen for 50+ years, since the lake was created, are just below the surface and punching holes in boats. Not willing to take that chance. We may be river people only next year, even if I have to drive all that way.

Napanutt
11-23-2013, 09:34 PM
So where does the water go?
I know Lake Berryessa goes to Solano county, budweiser plant and shit.
I used to be amused that I was peeing in water that I drank.

mrs.daytona
11-23-2013, 09:59 PM

That's why I prefer Coors...Rocky Mountain spring water...:)

Tishimself
11-24-2013, 12:23 AM

Into aquaducts that feed into the various canals in the valley, as well as down to Socal...the amount of orchards going in is unbelievable down here. Literally everyone who can is ripping the land and planting almonds. Not peaches, not anything else, almonds. Flat land used for crops like carrots and such is being torn up and replanted. It's no surprise to me that we have this.

GRADS
11-24-2013, 12:45 AM

Folsom Lake feeds half of the Sacramento Valley their drinking water, not to mention the water that goes to the delta and socal.

GRADS
11-25-2013, 12:39 PM
Bumping this for the people that maybe didn't see it over the weekend.

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/7585/99vi.gif (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/99vi.gif/)

hbchgirl
11-25-2013, 12:46 PM
Wow, that's terrible! Doesn't even look like the same place.

Stainless
11-25-2013, 12:51 PM
Thanks Grads, I was looking for this thread on my phone earlier. This pic was taken at lunch today.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/26/2aga9u2y.jpg

CH3NO2

riverrunner1984
11-25-2013, 02:08 PM
Thats crazy! Is this a yearly occurrence or more of a rare thing due to a drought.

gn7
11-25-2013, 02:28 PM
That's why I prefer Coors...Rocky Mountain spring water...:)

Yeah, I would much rather drink grizzly bear piss.

niceguyeddie
11-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Grads, With all that shallow water it looks like your gonna need to sell that Shockwave and get yourself a jet boat for next summer!

GRADS
11-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Thanks Grads, I was looking for this thread on my phone earlier. This pic was taken at lunch today.

Where is this?

Thats crazy! Is this a yearly occurrence or more of a rare thing due to a drought.
It will drop a little every year but not usually this low. Its getting pretty low, almost the lowest I've ever seen it. It is approaching the point that no matter what kind of of winter we have we're probably not going to have enough water to boat next year.

Grads, With all that shallow water it looks like your gonna need to sell that Shockwave and get yourself a jet boat for next summer!
I would go boatless and cut my dick off before I'd become a jet boater. ;)

ptc
11-26-2013, 12:19 PM
Where is this?

It will drop a little every year but not usually this low. Its getting pretty low, almost the lowest I've ever seen it. It is approaching the point that no matter what kind of of winter we have we're probably not going to have enough water to boat next year.

I would go boatless and cut my dick off before I'd become a jet boater. ;)

There you go over reacting again.... Folsom is fed by one of the largest water sources in the world.... the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range, which each fork of the American River is made up of The Tahoe National Forest and the Eldorado National Forest. Auburn (now removed) and Folsom Dams were installed for FLOOD CONTROL only because SO MUCH water came out of those mountains in the spring time thaws that Sacramento all the way down to Stockton as we know it was underwater for months at a time before the dams and levy systems were installed to control it. Yes it is at an all time low right now but water from the Sierra's is abundant. Shipping it all down to the desert southern CAL region via aquaducts certainly doesnt help either....

PS Mismanagement of our water resources by the CAL WATER RESOURCES BOARD is the real problem.... people are not engineers they are idiots!

It will be back.... and we will be back in Pasty Cove in no time!!!! with our BOATS!!!! lol....

Stainless
11-26-2013, 12:29 PM
Where is this?

;)
Sorry I missed this Grads, its a detention resevoir in Tucson. It was kinda of a joke, We had 2 straight days of rain and filled it back up from almost dry.

GRADS
11-26-2013, 12:41 PM
There you go over reacting again.... Folsom is fed by one of the largest water sources in the world.... the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range, which each fork of the American River is made up of The Tahoe National Forest and the Eldorado National Forest. Auburn (now removed) and Folsom Dams were installed for FLOOD CONTROL only because SO MUCH water came out of those mountains in the spring time thaws that Sacramento all the way down to Stockton as we know it was underwater for months at a time before the dams and levy systems were installed to control it. Yes it is at an all time low right now but water from the Sierra's is abundant. Shipping it all down to the desert southern CAL region via aquaducts certainly doesnt help either....

PS Mismanagement of our water resources by the CAL WATER RESOURCES BOARD is the real problem.... people are not engineers they are idiots!

It will be back.... and we will be back in Pasty Cove in no time!!!! with our BOATS!!!! lol....

Unless we get a monster rainfall this winter we will be done in Pastie Cove By mid June.

Tishimself
11-26-2013, 12:59 PM
Unless we get a monster rainfall this winter we will be done in Pastie Cove By mid June.

PTC...it's not just Folsom, it's EVERY lake in the lower Sierra foothills from Folsom all the way down to Fresno. Every lake is low, Don Pedro is so low trees that are original to the area that were submerged and have been since the lakes inception are exposed. This is not a matter of abundant sierra watersheds any longer. No matter how much snow or rain falls it is not enough to satiate the glut of almond orchards being planted down the valley as far as the eye can see. There will be no good boating for the foreseeable future, and I may start going to the river again to find adequate boating. Blame it on Cal water all you want, I blame it on the real culprit, the orchards and farmaers planting thousands of acres of orchards, some of which are flood irrigated.

mrs.daytona
11-26-2013, 05:52 PM
Yeah, I would much rather drink grizzly bear piss.

I meant to say Coors Light. Does that help? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)