PDA

View Full Version : Mobil 1 Sale

nowski
11-23-2013, 09:30 AM
For all that use Mobil 1 here is your chance to actually buy something on Black Friday. Pep Boy's Black Friday Special is Mobil 1 for $5.00 bucks a quart. This is the one time of year that I buy all of my synthetic oil. I know that the ad states 12 quarts only but I have tripled that amount in the past and never had a problem. For all that use Mobil 1 in your boats which would you recommend?

Napanutt
11-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the heads up.

Stainless
11-23-2013, 10:59 AM
That's a smoking deal, I usually but it at Costco, but not that cheap

CH3NO2

Paul65K
11-23-2013, 11:08 AM
If for some reason you don't want to wait in line......the everyday price for 5 quarts at Walmart is $24.97.....just sayin' :rolleyes

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_query=mobil+1&Find=Find&search_constraint=0

nowski
11-23-2013, 12:37 PM
If for some reason you don't want to wait in line......the everyday price for 5 quarts at Walmart is $24.97.....just sayin' :rolleyes

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_query=mobil+1&Find=Find&search_constraint=0 I've been doing this for the past 5 years. Your auto parts stores pretty much don't have any lines on Black Friday. It's actually a pleasant Black Friday experience. I also wanted to mention that they have other specials as well but this is what I normally go shopping for. F.Y.I. last years synthetic oil special was Castrol Edge @ $4.00 per qt. They seem to switch back and forth between the 2 brands... "Happy Thanksgiving To All"

Eli
11-23-2013, 02:37 PM
I buy my synthetic oil once every 7000 miles :D

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

Stainless
11-23-2013, 02:39 PM
I buy my synthetic oil once every 7000 miles :D

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

Are you a lubrication engineer?

CH3NO2

Eli
11-23-2013, 02:41 PM
Are you a lubrication engineer?

CH3NO2

Not an engineer, but I like to make sure Marilyn has the best lubrication and it lasts longer than the regular stuff. I drive her very hard so gotta keep her lubed properly.

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

hpboats83
11-23-2013, 03:18 PM
For all that use Mobil 1 here is your chance to actually buy something on Black Friday. Pep Boy's Black Friday Special is Mobil 1 for $5.00 bucks a quart. This is the one time of year that I buy all of my synthetic oil. I know that the ad states 12 quarts only but I have tripled that amount in the past and never had a problem. For all that use Mobil 1 in your boats which would you recommend?

15-50w

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Ziggy
11-23-2013, 09:41 PM

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_query=mobil+1&Find=Find&search_constraint=0
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Buy mine there all the time considering every car I own requires it. Even bulk purchases by local car shops can't beat it.

From my POS T-mobile thingie

Ziggy
11-23-2013, 09:47 PM
I've been doing this for the past 5 years. Your auto parts stores pretty much don't have any lines on Black Friday. It's actually a pleasant Black Friday experience. I also wanted to mention that they have other specials as well but this is what I normally go shopping for. F.Y.I. last years synthetic oil special was Castrol Edge @ $4.00 per qt. They seem to switch back and forth between the 2 brands... "Happy Thanksgiving To All"

Wally Worlds every day price for castrol synthetics is also $4.
Go on Monday or any of the other 364 days in the year for it.
All four of my cars take syn 6qrts at a time and the damn truck takes 15qrts of Rotella. At 5k intervals it almost feels like one of them is always needing an oil change.:banghead:

Stainless
11-23-2013, 09:59 PM
Wally Worlds every day price for castrol synthetics is also $4.
Go on Monday or any of the other 364 days in the year for it.
All four of my cars take syn 6qrts at a time and the damn truck takes 15qrts of Rotella. At 5k intervals it almost feels like one of them is always needing an oil change.:banghead:

15 qts Rotella? Is it a pickup or big truck?

Bench race driver of the NHRA 16X Castrol GTX Mustang

Ziggy
11-23-2013, 10:04 PM
15 qts Rotella? Is it a pickup or big truck?

Bench race driver of the NHRA 16X Castrol GTX Mustang

7.3 PSD Ford F350.

gn7
11-24-2013, 12:18 AM
I read on another boat site that Mobil 1 is junk. So I stopped using it. :popcorn:

FormulaZR
11-24-2013, 02:00 AM
Mobil 1 is ~@$25 for 5 qts at Wal-Mart. So...already $5/qt almost any day of the week.

Kind of a serious comment/question, GN7. It seems like in some similar vehicles (me or my family have had various 5.3 powered GM trucks since '99)...it seems like the quality of Mobil 1 has gone down. In similar mileage (but later model) trucks, the oil would seem much blacker at the 5k mile mark than it did in the 99-03 time period. Is it my imagination...or...did Mobil 1 change the formula/blend?

gn7
11-24-2013, 02:42 AM
Mobil 1 is ~@$25 for 5 qts at Wal-Mart. So...already $5/qt almost any day of the week.

Kind of a serious comment/question, GN7. It seems like in some similar vehicles (me or my family have had various 5.3 powered GM trucks since '99)...it seems like the quality of Mobil 1 has gone down. In similar mileage (but later model) trucks, the oil would seem much blacker at the 5k mile mark than it did in the 99-03 time period. Is it my imagination...or...did Mobil 1 change the formula/blend?

Almost all off the shelf oils changed when they had to meet the GF5 standards set down by the car manufactures. The days of the oil companies blending what they think is best are gone. The EPA and the manufactures are calling the shots for the most part. Some M1 oils changed more than others. I have no need for 10/30 or lighter oil so it doesn't bother me.
Another thing that really SUCKS is that a few years ago Mobil sued Castrol for using the term "synthetic" for oil that was really just highly refined/hydro cracked petroleum. And they lost the case. The SAE and the API both refused to define exactly what was "synthetic". The term no means any oil that is not processed thru normal distillation.
In industry jargon, that moved synthetics from Group 4 and 5, to include group 3. That means oils that contain group 2 and 3 are now "blends" and anything made up of 3, 4 and 5 is 100% synthetic. Mobil had no choice but to start using some group 3 base stock or lose a huge market share due to price. They still use more 4 and 5 than any other "synthetic" on the shelf, but it did change the formula for previous M1 oils.
Still the best synthetic on the shelf at the big box stores, but not quite up with the pricier Amsoils, which by the way, now also have some lower cost so called synthetic under the OE and XL labels. Not bad oil, just not what Amsoil is known for, and not 100% group 4 and 5 base stock.

FYI, the Mobil 1 10/40 High Milage and the Mobil 1 0/40 are both slightly better oils than the 10/30.
The 15/50 is pretty close to what it has always been. Its the 10/30 and lighter stuff that took the biggest hit in the formula.
But then, everybody's API certified GF4 and 5 oils did. If they tell you different, they're lying, or don't know any better.

The best oil for your boat is no longer a car oil. Mobil 1 10/40, 0/40, and 15/50 are damn good and probably the best thing you will find in a big box retailer for 99% of the boats out there. But the best is when you get away from the controls of the EPA and car manufactures. That means oil that is not API and ILSAC certified.
I.E. No API donut seal logo on the bottle.

As for your car, I still continue to use M1 in everything. What my car NEEDS and what my boat WANTS is 2 different things.

I walked into a Auto Zone a coupe months ago and saw this. Needless to say I cleaned out 5 Auto Zones in my area and spent a few hundred doing it, but I am good for a little while.

FormulaZR
11-24-2013, 06:28 AM
I use 0/40 for everything, including my boat. I use to swear by the German Castrol 0/40, the one that specifically says "Made in Germany" on the back. However, once I started seeing 0/40 Mobil 1 on the shelves for $25/5 qts, I just switched to it because of the price difference.

Eli
11-24-2013, 06:54 AM
Almost all off the shelf oils changed when they had to meet the GF5 standards set down by the car manufactures. The days of the oil companies blending what they think is best are gone. The EPA and the manufactures are calling the shots for the most part. Some M1 oils changed more than others. I have no need for 10/30 or lighter oil so it doesn't bother me.
Another thing that really SUCKS is that a few years ago Mobil sued Castrol for using the term "synthetic" for oil that was really just highly refined/hydro cracked petroleum. And they lost the case. The SAE and the API both refused to define exactly what was "synthetic". The term no means any oil that is not processed thru normal distillation.
In industry jargon, that moved synthetics from Group 4 and 5, to include group 3. That means oils that contain group 2 and 3 are now "blends" and anything made up of 3, 4 and 5 is 100% synthetic. Mobil had no choice but to start using some group 3 base stock or lose a huge market share due to price. They still use more 4 and 5 than any other "synthetic" on the shelf, but it did change the formula for previous M1 oils.
Still the best synthetic on the shelf at the big box stores, but not quite up with the pricier Amsoils, which by the way, now also have some lower cost so called synthetic under the OE and XL labels. Not bad oil, just not what Amsoil is known for, and not 100% group 4 and 5 base stock.

FYI, the Mobil 1 10/40 High Milage and the Mobil 1 0/40 are both slightly better oils than the 10/30.
The 15/50 is pretty close to what it has always been. Its the 10/30 and lighter stuff that took the biggest hit in the formula.
But then, everybody's API certified GF4 and 5 oils did. If they tell you different, they're lying, or don't know any better.

The best oil for your boat is no longer a car oil. Mobil 1 10/40, 0/40, and 15/50 are damn good and probably the best thing you will find in a big box retailer for 99% of the boats out there. But the best is when you get away from the controls of the EPA and car manufactures. That means oil that is not API and ILSAC certified.
I.E. No API donut seal logo on the bottle.

As for your car, I still continue to use M1 in everything. What my car NEEDS and what my boat WANTS is 2 different things.

I walked into a Auto Zone a coupe months ago and saw this. Needless to say I cleaned out 5 Auto Zones in my area and spent a few hundred doing it, but I am good for a little while.

Did you cut and paste this?

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

gn7
11-24-2013, 07:04 AM
I use 0/40 for everything, including my boat. I use to swear by the German Castrol 0/40, the one that specifically says "Made in Germany" on the back. However, once I started seeing 0/40 Mobil 1 on the shelves for $25/5 qts, I just switched to it because of the price difference.

The 0/40 M1 is an excellent oil. People see the zero and get all jittery. I hardly pay any attention to the W number. If you don't live where it gets below freezing, its a useless number.
Interesting fact about the 0/40, its the oil Mobil recommends for non racing performance use in place of their racing oil. The other being the 15/50 if you need a heavier oil.
I only mention the 10/40 High Mileage for people that bring themselves to use a 0W oil.

gn7
11-24-2013, 07:06 AM
Did you cut and paste this?

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

Cut and paste what? The picture? NO, that came from my phone. I sent it to a friend that had just bought 24 qts a week earlier, and I sent it to him to rib him.

Eli
11-24-2013, 07:06 AM
Cut and paste what? The picture? NO, that came from my phone. I sent it to a friend that had just bought 24 qts a week earlier, and I sent it to him to rib him.

No the long explanation :D

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

gn7
11-24-2013, 07:15 AM
No the long explanation :D

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

nope. And that was short.
I spent the better part of 2 years researching oils due to issues I was having with my GN. Luckily I was doing a lot work for Conoco and Chevron, and could pick the brains of the guys in labs. Learned more about oils in 2 years than I set out to. But its no different than learning about anything else that goes into one of those things.

Eli
11-24-2013, 07:17 AM
nope. And that was short.
I spent the better part of 2 years researching oils due to issues I was having with my GN. Luckily I was doing a lot work for Conoco and Chevron, and could pick the brains of the guys in labs. Learned more about oils in 2 years than I set out to. But its no different than learning about anything else that goes into one of those things.

Yes I agree, lubrication is very important!

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

gn7
11-24-2013, 07:27 AM
Yes I agree, lubrication is very important!

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

Don't get me started on his and her synthetics, and heat generation and friction coefficients.

Eli
11-24-2013, 07:44 AM
Don't get me started on his and her synthetics, and heat generation and friction coefficients.

You keep talking like this and I'm gonna have to excuse myself

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

hpboats83
11-24-2013, 09:57 AM
I have been running 15/50 Amsoil Dominator in my 500 EFI for about 450 hours now. I'm planning on tearing down my engine this winter, so we will see how it worked; however, I don't really have a "baseline" to judge it against.

Universal Elements
11-24-2013, 10:34 AM

Presently we go the same route with the German Castrol, Motul and Redline with a couple of our BMW M cars except we have to use 10-60w. Wish we could go with something cheaper.

FormulaZR
11-24-2013, 10:41 AM
^^^ I have not had good luck finding the GC recently. Where are you finding it?

Universal Elements
11-24-2013, 11:14 AM
^^^ I have not had good luck finding the GC recently. Where are you finding it?

When you call them, you have to ask for it. Sometimes they have it.

http://www.bavauto.com/

Locally, we've been buying Liqui Moly, Total, Motul & Redline.

FormulaZR
11-24-2013, 12:54 PM
When you call them, you have to ask for it. Sometimes they have it.

http://www.bavauto.com/

Locally, we've been buying Liqui Moly, Total, Motul & Redline.

Thanks for the tip. That was the reason I switched to M1. Couldn't find the GC, and thought M1 was a reasonable substitute (especially at only $5/qt).

nowski
11-25-2013, 04:50 PM
The 0/40 M1 is an excellent oil. People see the zero and get all jittery. I hardly pay any attention to the W number. If you don't live where it gets below freezing, its a useless number.
Interesting fact about the 0/40, its the oil Mobil recommends for non racing performance use in place of their racing oil. The other being the 15/50 if you need a heavier oil.
I only mention the 10/40 High Mileage for people that bring themselves to use a 0W oil. I went to the Teague website and the Mobil 1 0/40 is one of the oils they sell. I use this oil in my BMW but never thought that I could use this in my boat...

Stainless
11-25-2013, 05:14 PM
Just snapped this
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/26/yqajynez.jpg

CH3NO2