PDA

View Full Version : No cell phones on planes

314joey
11-22-2013, 09:38 AM
Why, why, why, we used to fly almost every other week in the winter when we lived at LOTO, not quite as much now because everything is further away (mostly Vegas), but even so, we still travel (fly) 7-8 times a year and it's one of the few times I didn't have to see or hear someone on a friggin' cell phone, like I want to sit next to someone yaking on a phone one foot from my ear for a three hour flight back to St. Louis.

Geez, I hope they don't change this and let this happen, I don't care about the texting crap, but not actually talking, that would be horrible.

GRADS
11-22-2013, 09:50 AM
Why, why, why, we used to fly almost every other week in the winter when we lived at LOTO, not quite as much now because everything is further away (mostly Vegas), but even so, we still travel (fly) 7-8 times a year and it's one of the few times I didn't have to see or hear someone on a friggin' cell phone, like I want to sit next to someone yaking on a phone one foot from my ear for a three hour flight back to St. Louis.

Geez, I hope they don't change this and let this happen, I don't care about the texting crap, but not actually talking, that would be horrible.

Remember when they used to let you smoke on planes?

Unforgiven
11-22-2013, 10:40 AM

your starting to show your age there.....best thing they ever did!

hbchgirl
11-22-2013, 10:53 AM

I agree! :AngryFinger_7WSKJO: I'd like to enjoy my cocktail in peace!

HB Vic
11-22-2013, 10:57 AM
Hmmmm haven't heard that one. You can now keep your phone on under 10,000 but it has to be in airplane mode. Just a matter of time before that rule goes away. They have zero proof cell phones affect airplane electronics. Just the opposite I believe.

2manymustangs
11-22-2013, 11:04 AM

Get yourself and your S.O. a good pair of Sony or Koss cans and a splitter to keep in your backpack... Bawling babies, no problemo... Annoying neighbors, no problemo... you can listen to the same movie on your laptop or songs on your IPOD with the spliter... Your kids can play on the IPAD with the sound on, no problemo...

I didn't get the noise canceling type, I just got a quality pair of cans...

Dude, I did 150 flights (i kept track) national and international from 1985 - 1990 out of Ohare... The smoke was soooooooooooooo bad....... You couldnt see the front of the airplane if you were sitting in the back on the international flights.......

I didnt smoke but I may as well ahve... I dont mind being around it at all and go to concerts at small venues where it is a cloud BUT at least there is some air exchange... :D

The good ole days........

314joey
11-22-2013, 11:26 AM

I do and it sucked, I'm not a smoker, it was like being smashed in a tiny bar, it was disgusting.

Eli
11-22-2013, 11:35 AM
I never flew on a plane with smoking.

I'm torn, on the left hand I like that my phone is off and We can get lost in our thoughts during a plane ride and no one can ask me for anything.

But, on the right hand...the one that predominately holds my phone, I think it's a great idea!

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

hbchgirl
11-22-2013, 11:41 AM
"20 Most Annoying Things People Do On Planes"

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/22/travel/plane-annoying-things/index.html?sr=fb112213annoyingplanes130p

HB Vic
11-22-2013, 11:53 AM
"20 Most Annoying Things People Do On Planes"

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/22/travel/plane-annoying-things/index.html?sr=fb112213annoyingplanes130p

I'm guessing flatulating is on that list. Someone in very close proximity seriously needs to see his or hers (yikes) doctor asap, stat, pronto, call 911.

My nostrils have been damaged today, so disgusting.

ChumpChange
11-22-2013, 12:24 PM
My worst experience was coming back from Greece where deodorant seemed to be banned. There was this larger older lady that stunk. It was really bad and became unbearable when she reached for the overhead compartment. I remember taking a picture of her so this story would have pictures.

HB Vic
11-22-2013, 12:31 PM
My worst experience was coming back from Greece where deodorant seemed to be banned. There was this larger older lady that stunk. It was really bad and became unbearable when she reached for the overhead compartment. I remember taking a picture of her so this story would have pictures.

I would have gladly traded your stinky fat lady for the foul stench I had to endure

hbchgirl
11-22-2013, 12:51 PM

OMG I just gagged reading this!

hbchgirl
11-22-2013, 12:55 PM
I'm guessing flatulating is on that list. Someone in very close proximity seriously needs to see his or hers (yikes) doctor asap, stat, pronto, call 911.

My nostrils have been damaged today, so disgusting.

That's just wrong!!! It's a plane people! Passengers can't open the windows to air it out!!! lol Don't worry, when you get to GB, your nose will freeze!

2manymustangs
11-22-2013, 12:57 PM

The SWISS machine builders I worked with seemed to wear that like a badge of honor... They would wear ONE work uniform all week instead of changing daily... IN THE SUMMER, unAIRconditioned shop, St louis, 90-100 degrees, high humidity...

I had this old portly drunk guy sitting next to me from Vegas to Long Beach, he was lit and had to have BOTH arm rests... One of those guys, and SouthWest was giving out those cheese/peanut butter crackers... He had them EVERYWHERE, orange cracker crumbs all over himself, me, his wife, the seat... he was a mess and nearly steam rolled my wife when he was trying to get off the plane in Long Beach... :hilarious: He was a real mess...

RogerThat99
11-22-2013, 01:07 PM

I was just telling someone about that the other day. Each armrest had a little ashtray built in with a little flip up lid like cars used to have.

sent using Tapatalk.

nowski
11-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Remember when they used to let you smoke on planes? Have you ever heard of someone who was diagnosed with lung cancer but never smoked a day in his or her life or you went to a restaurant and came home smelling like smoke. I'm sure glad times have changed...

314joey
11-22-2013, 02:35 PM
The texting or using any of the smartphone options wouldn't bother me, it's the talking on the silly phone and having to listen to someone yak for three hours about their sisters hemorrhoids, now that's gross.

FormulaZR
11-23-2013, 03:24 PM
Hmmmm haven't heard that one. You can now keep your phone on under 10,000 but it has to be in airplane mode. Just a matter of time before that rule goes away. They have zero proof cell phones affect airplane electronics. Just the opposite I believe.

Right.

So why all the fuss about phones? When you make a call at 10,000 feet, the signal bounces off multiple available cell towers, rather than one at a time. That means too many phone-happy jetsetters might clog up the networks on the ground, which is why the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) — not the Federal Aviation Association (FAA) — banned cell use on planes.

Eli
11-23-2013, 03:50 PM
The texting or using any of the smartphone options wouldn't bother me, it's the talking on the silly phone and having to listen to someone yak for three hours about their sisters hemorrhoids, now that's gross.

Hemorrhoids should never be discussed ...EVER!

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

Paul65K
11-23-2013, 04:06 PM
I traveled most of my career domestic as well as International accumulating more than 6MM just on American Airlines so I DO remember when you could still smoke on airplanes. I remember sitting upstairs on 747's when it was just a lounge....no seats. I remember hot fudge sundaes in First Class.....I remember a very different world on airplanes than the screaming kids and paying to check bags of today but the worst thing that could possibly happen in my opinion would be to allow talking on telephones during flights....No Fuckin' way!!

I remember when you could make credit card calls on planes (before 911) and it was a pain in the ass to hear some self important asshole talk the entire flight with everyone and anyone about mostly inconsequential BS just so they can hear them-self talk......this would be the single worst thing that could happen to flying if the FAA actually let's this happen IMHO. :bangmyhead:

Stainless
11-23-2013, 04:11 PM
I traveled most of my career domestic as well as International accumulating more than 6MM just on American Airlines so I DO remember when you could still smoke on airplanes. I remember sitting upstairs on 747's when it was just a lounge....no seats. I remember hot fudge sundaes in First Class.....I remember a very different world on airplanes than the screaming kids and paying to check bags of today but the worst thing that could possibly happen in my opinion would be to allow talking on telephones during flights....No Fuckin' way!!

I remember when you could make credit card calls on planes (before 911) and it was a pain in the ass to hear some self important asshole talk the entire flight with everyone and anyone about mostly inconsequential BS just so they can hear them-self talk......this would be the single worst thing that could happen to flying if the FAA actually let's this happen IMHO. :bangmyhead:

Hey Paul, are you a member of the mile high fraternity? :D

CH3NO2

Paul65K
11-23-2013, 04:14 PM
Hey Paul, are you a member of the mile high fraternity? :D

CH3NO2Duh....Commercial as well as Private :thumb:

Stainless
11-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Duh....Commercial as well as Private :thumb:

That's Rock Star status right there!

CH3NO2

Eli
11-23-2013, 04:16 PM
That's Rock Star status right there!

CH3NO2

Not really

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

Stainless
11-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Not really

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

Oh, what have you done, lol?

CH3NO2

Eli
11-23-2013, 04:20 PM
Oh, what have you done, lol?

CH3NO2

All I'm saying is that's not rock star status.

Oh and it's not a fraternity...that suggest only men are part of the "club"

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

Stainless
11-23-2013, 04:23 PM
All I'm saying is that's not rock star status

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

Oh, I could barely qualify for groupie status...
If you have something to say, say it. :D

CH3NO2

Eli
11-23-2013, 04:31 PM
Oh, I could barely qualify for groupie status...
If you have something to say, say it. :D

CH3NO2

I thought I already said it :D

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

Stainless
11-23-2013, 04:34 PM
Hmmm, I didn't see a preponderance of evidence, we need more proof!

CH3NO2

314joey
11-23-2013, 05:15 PM
What's it called in a plane.................. air-head.

Eli
11-23-2013, 05:19 PM
What's it called in a plane.................. air-head.

ROTFLMAO ...brings a whole new meaning to the word!

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!