PDA

View Full Version : Remembering President John F. Kennedy 50 years later...

NRI
11-22-2013, 08:17 AM
50 years ago today, we lost one of our greatest leaders in history, President John F. Kennedy. President Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas, TX on 11/22/63 at 1:30 P.M. EST.

Eli
11-22-2013, 08:23 AM
RIP

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

GRADS
11-22-2013, 08:28 AM
I would really like to see this car someday. It's in the Henry Ford museum in Michigan.

NRI
11-22-2013, 08:32 AM
The outfit the First Lady was wearing is being preserved in a vault for 100 years. The government must consult with the Kennedy family to allow the outfit to be viewed by the public. The only thing the government is missing is her hat.

GRADS
11-22-2013, 08:36 AM
The outfit the First Lady was wearing is being preserved in a vault for 100 years. The government must consult with the Kennedy family to allow the outfit to be viewed by the public. The only thing the government is missing is her hat.

I also heard that. I guess they're going to break it out in the year 2113. Makes no sense to me, there are a lot of people now that actually lived during the assassination that would like to see it.

GotHalos
11-22-2013, 08:39 AM
Recording the show on The History channel tonight, looking forward to watching it .

NRI
11-22-2013, 08:44 AM
It would be nice if we had leaders like him now.

Eli
11-22-2013, 08:55 AM
It would be nice if we had leaders like him now.

So true

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

NRI
11-22-2013, 09:07 AM
What quote is President Kennedy most famous for?

Wendi
11-22-2013, 09:19 AM
John F. Kennedy was a good sailor, and he loved to sail big yachts such as the Manitou, but he favored small boats throughout his life, appreciating the simplicity, intimacy and ease of handling that a good little sailboat provides. Thus, in hindsight, it's not surprising that the 26 foot Wianno Senior sailboat Victura - a gift from his parents for his 15th birthday - remained his favorite throughout his life. It was the boat on which he taught many others, including his beloved wife Jackie (http://yachtpals.com/kennedy-sailing-boats-9161#kennedysailing), to sail, and it was the boat that captured and held his imagination throughout his life.25960

Wendi
11-22-2013, 09:21 AM
What quote is President Kennedy most famous for? "My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

GRADS
11-22-2013, 09:36 AM
John F. Kennedy was a good sailor, and he loved to sail big yachts such as the Manitou, but he favored small boats throughout his life, appreciating the simplicity, intimacy and ease of handling that a good little sailboat provides. Thus, in hindsight, it's not surprising that the 26 foot Wianno Senior sailboat Victura - a gift from his parents for his 15th birthday - remained his favorite throughout his life. It was the boat on which he taught many others, including his beloved wife Jackie (http://yachtpals.com/kennedy-sailing-boats-9161#kennedysailing), to sail, and it was the boat that captured and held his imagination throughout his life.25960

My Uncle sailed with him on Cape Cod all the time when they were younger. I remember my Uncle telling me stories about him when I would stay on the Cape for the summers. BTW, this was also where I learned to sail and took a boat out by myself for the first time.

314joey
11-22-2013, 09:43 AM
"My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

I wish this was true, but not so much anymore.

NRI
11-22-2013, 09:51 AM
My Uncle sailed with him on Cape Cod all the time when they were younger. I remember my Uncle telling me stories about him when I would stay on the Cape for the summers. BTW, this was also where I learned to sail and took a boat out by myself for the first time.

Great story. Never new is was such an avid sailor

NRI
11-22-2013, 09:52 AM

Very well written Wendi. Maybe he was a HOTBOATER at heart.

Wendi
11-22-2013, 09:59 AM
Very well written Wendi. Maybe he was a HOTBOATER at heart. I think he was too!

gn7
11-22-2013, 10:53 AM
Show me somebody that is 60+ YO that doesn't know exactly where they were, and what they were doing when they heard he had been shot, and I will show you somebody that can't remember their own name. Never met anybody that couldn't recount that exact moment in their life.

hbchgirl
11-22-2013, 10:54 AM
Recording the show on The History channel tonight, looking forward to watching it .

Ooooh, thanks for the heads up GH... setting my DVR now!

hbchgirl
11-22-2013, 10:56 AM

What a great story and memory!

hbchgirl
11-22-2013, 10:57 AM
Show me somebody that is 60+ YO that doesn't know exactly where they were, and what they were doing when they heard he had been shot, and I will show you somebody that can't remember their own name. Never met anybody that couldn't recount that exact moment in their life.

My mom remembers exactly where she was and always gets choked up when she talks about it. I wish I would have been around in his era...

hoofy
11-22-2013, 11:17 AM

Driving my 57 Chev north on Passsons blvd just crossed Washington blvd when the news broke on radio station KFWB.

westair
11-22-2013, 11:38 AM
I would really like to see this car someday. It's in the Henry Ford museum in Michigan.

I just read that this car was used for 13 more years by different Presidents.

Tishimself
11-22-2013, 12:10 PM
As many people have said....." for a while, for a few brilliant years, it was Camelot."

RIP JFK, we need men like you now more than ever....;(

Old Texan
11-22-2013, 02:55 PM
Very tragic family the Kennedys.....So many lost too young. The 3 oldest sons all killed basically while in service of their country.

And John Jr., so remembered for saluting at his father's funeral, taken in his prime in a plane crash.

The Kennedys were many things to the nation, good and bad....

NRI
11-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Very well said. Old Texan

niceguyeddie
11-22-2013, 05:13 PM
In my opinion JFK was the last president this country had that was actually worth a shit. The sad things is that we'll never have another president like him because our country's owners won't allow it. Anytime a leader tries to bring people together, rather than segregate them or tries to tell people to love each other, take responsibilities for themselves and live peacefully they get murdered. Isn't that weird?

George Cariln said it best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3dMv5LbOaU

Stainless
11-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Great thread idea Nick! ;)

CH3NO2

NRI
11-22-2013, 05:36 PM
I think its neat due to the fact. " History is where we came from and where we are going"

Nick

hbchgirl
11-22-2013, 05:52 PM
Driving my 57 Chev north on Passsons blvd just crossed Washington blvd when the news broke on radio station KFWB.

I always love hearing stories about where people were at that moment. He was so loved by Americans.

hbchgirl
11-22-2013, 05:53 PM
very well said. Old texan

x2

nowski
11-22-2013, 08:42 PM

25959 The Henry Ford Museum is by far the best Museum that I have ever been to it has everything...

24 Sleekenforcer
11-22-2013, 08:48 PM
Two years ago.

hbchgirl
11-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Two years ago.

How amazing that you've been to see the eternal flame.

GRADS
11-23-2013, 12:03 AM
check out this picture. It's a young Bill Clinton shaking hands with JFK without a clue of what would become of either one.

314joey
11-23-2013, 06:28 AM
check out this picture. It's a young Bill Clinton shaking hands with JFK without a clue of what would become of either one.

]

I know, it is scary, I just couldn't help myself, Bill couldn't either, sorry.................lol

Paul65K
11-23-2013, 06:36 AM

26042Camelot meets "White Trash".................isn't it terrible that I would trade out Billy Bob Clinton in a heartbeat over the current "Liar in chief".....at least when Billy Bob lied it didn't cost me $$$

Sorry Vic.......I'm done now, just couldn't help myself!!:sorry:

GotHalos
11-23-2013, 04:20 PM
Watched both shows that aired on The History channel last night, pretty interesting stuff.

Regardless, what a tragedy.

hbchgirl
11-23-2013, 10:22 PM
Watched both shows that aired on The History channel last night, pretty interesting stuff.

Regardless, what a tragedy.

We did too. We're watching another show about the assassination on CNN right now. It's all so interesting.