11-21-2013, 08:59 PM
A buddy just sent me this

https://onlycoin.com/

Wendi
11-21-2013, 10:06 PM
Is this real?

HB Vic
11-21-2013, 10:23 PM
That's pretty cool. I heard about this awhile back. Only problem is I'm not sure how merchants will react to it. They're programmed to see credit cards, not a gizmo like this. And sometimes actually check to see if there's a signature. Definitely the future.

gn7
11-21-2013, 10:34 PM
Is this real?

Yeah its real. It is still having some teething problems, and not everywhere is accepting them. It actually works thru your phone. The info isn't in the card, its in your phone and the phone blue tooths the info to the card as its being used. No phone(in the car at home, dead phone), no card. The card is just the thing you hand the clerk/waiter, and it transmits the info to their card swiper from your phone.
I wonder if it will get it all working right and accepted by stores and customers before your smart phone does the same thing, and you don't even remove it from your pocket. Its already working in other countries. You can buy a coke from a machine in Japan just by putting the phone up to the machne and pushing the button, and it debits your account thru your phone. Pretty much the same thing in stores. No need for a "coin" card. Just the phone.

I think the real future is your phone pretty much replacing your wallet. Everything. Drivers license, kids pictures, business cards, everything.

GotHalos
11-21-2013, 10:48 PM
Yeah its real. It is still having some teething problems, and not everywhere is accepting them. It actually works thru your phone. The info isn't in the card, its in your phone and the phone blue tooths the info to the card as its being used. No phone(in the car at home, dead phone), no card. The card is just the thing you hand the clerk/waiter, and it transmits the info to their card swiper from your phone.
I wonder if it will get it all working right and accepted by stores and customers before your smart phone does the same thing, and you don't even remove it from your pocket. Its already working in other countries. You can buy a coke from a machine in Japan just by putting the phone up to the machne and pushing the button, and it debits your account thru your phone. Pretty much the same thing in stores. No need for a "coin" card. Just the phone.

I think the real future is your phone pretty much replacing your wallet. Everything. Drivers license, kids pictures, business cards, everything.

Nailed it. It will be interesting which technology will catch on with the masses.

ChumpChange
11-21-2013, 11:00 PM
Leo Laport was talkin about this on his show this past weekend. Now instead of losing one card you can lose them all!

gn7
11-21-2013, 11:33 PM
Leo Laport was talkin about this on his show this past weekend. Now instead of losing one card you can lose them all!

Just don't lose your phone with it, and you're fine. There is no info in the coin card. It only acts as the link to you phone. It gives them something to swipe. Nothing more than that. One of the problems as I understand it, as of right now, is the person you hand that to at a restaurant, could potentially charge ALL your credit cards with it by pushing the button to bring up another one. My understanding is they are making it so it locks on whatever you choose, and you "punch in" a code to make it unlock.
Beginning to sound like a pain already. Also they say they will make it so that the last card you selected can be used without the phone active, but that's not happening yet. You still need YOUR phone with you AND functioning, to make it work.

Eli
11-22-2013, 05:54 AM
That's a really great idea. I'd use it.

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

314joey
11-22-2013, 06:02 AM
Am I the only person left in the world that uses cash, guess so, not a big fan of all this on-line footprint stuff, too much chance of getting ripped, if I can't buy it with cash I don't buy it, pretty simple for me.

Eli
11-22-2013, 06:08 AM
Am I the only person left in the world that uses cash, guess so, not a big fan of all this on-line footprint stuff, too much chance of getting ripped, if I can't buy it with cash I don't buy it, pretty simple for me.

I use cash very often but some places you can't, like Costco gas station and I don't carry enough cash to be able to put a deposit on hotels, shop for clothing and shoes. Etc.

I didn't think about the footprint. But, other than receiving marketing stuff I guess it's not a big deal. We leave a foot print every time we're on the Internet right?

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

314joey
11-22-2013, 06:13 AM
We leave a foot print every time we're on the Internet right?

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

I know, don't remind me, it sucks, good thing I'm incognito all the time.

Cigalert
11-22-2013, 07:15 AM
I wonder how this handles HIPPA compliance. Bluetooth is terrible security.

Universal Elements
11-22-2013, 08:56 AM

No, I'm the same way. I'll be 51 next month and everything I own is paid for. Also, I pay cash for all my purchases. I do have a couple of accounts that I can deposit $$ in - (if I had to), but that is rare. Pay all my insurances up front and keep life simple.

ChumpChange
11-22-2013, 09:57 AM
Just don't lose your phone with it, and you're fine. There is no info in the coin card. It only acts as the link to you phone. It gives them something to swipe. Nothing more than that. One of the problems as I understand it, as of right now, is the person you hand that to at a restaurant, could potentially charge ALL your credit cards with it by pushing the button to bring up another one. My understanding is they are making it so it locks on whatever you choose, and you "punch in" a code to make it unlock.
Beginning to sound like a pain already. Also they say they will make it so that the last card you selected can be used without the phone active, but that's not happening yet. You still need YOUR phone with you AND functioning, to make it work.

If it loses the link to your phone for more than 15 minutes then it's deactivated as a security precaution. So if you walk out of the place with your phone and not your card, the card is no good. But what if your battery dies?

314joey
11-22-2013, 11:22 AM
No, I'm the same way. I'll be 51 next month and everything I own is paid for. Also, I pay cash for all my purchases. I do have a couple of accounts that I can deposit $$ in - (if I had to), but that is rare. Pay all my insurances up front and keep life simple.

Us too, good for you, if you can swing it's the only way to go, congrats