PDA

View Full Version : 27' Daytona Build

She's Mine
11-16-2013, 11:48 PM
So I purchased my 2003 27' Daytona in March 2009. She came with a 496HO. She did 75mph with that setup but it was very electric. Wasn't very fun to drive and I needed to plan miles a head to pass anyone on the river.

The following year I planned to repower, just so happens this was the same year LBYS had all the old Magic boats for sale. This made selling my current power package very easy. I purchased a Merc 575sci and an IMCO Sc drive. After 2 blow ups for different reasons and multiple upgrade to the motor we ended up with 700hp and a turn key setup. With this setup we ran 95mph all day long with 5 people and full of fuel. The best I ever saw was 103mph. I sold this motor at DS 2013 to a guy with the exact same boat I had and a 496. I guess he felt the same way I did about that motor package.

I purchased a quad rotor system earlier this year and was going to take my time building my new motor but ended up selling the 575sci sooner than expected. So I bought a 572 long block from a guy in Havasu. Throughout this summer I built this motor with the help of a lot of people... Tried to do it right but was on a budget. I purchased a bad ass billet accessory kit from Hardin, a bunch of stuff from Teague, my friend Tim (new to the boards) did some custom fabrication and helped me dress the motor, Pfaff dyno'd and tuned the motor, and Menace installed, rigged, and built a custom hatch for me. I had tons of unforeseen delays through this project and bounced around way too much. Everyone did their respective job awesome and would recommend any of them but I would also recommend using just one for you entire project. Headaches aren't worth the few dollars you save. I also sold my Sc drive and bought a SCX drive. Went with this drive for safety since I have 2 little ones and didnt want them swimming around a #6 prop on the SCX-4.

So now for the characteristic of the boat. She is awesome in every aspect. I had a 26' Daytona before this one also with a 575sci. That boat wasn't as solid thru the chop and seemed to have some bow hop around 70-75.

This boat rides unbelievable. Smooth smooth smooth. In fact she likes to have a little chop on the water and even some head wind. At 80-85 she starts to get real happy and starts getting in her sweet spot... The bow starts to roll and speeds increase without any throttle. It's amazing how at this speed you can talk to the person in the passenger seat and wear a baseball hat without the fear of it getting blown off.

A couple of more updates I did with her are; I had Carlos from Premier Marine Interiors completely reduce my entire interior. I gained 6" between the front seats and 3" of leg room on the back seat. I had him do fiberglass back front seats with the same gel design as the boat. I custom fender holder in the engine compartment and a new carpet kit that is a custom fit. I'm running a 2200 watt Alpine stereo system playing thru Focal speakers and a 5 person intercom system that the stereo is playing thru as well. She's Mine sits on an Extreme triple axel trailer.

One more thing, she is a 2003 and is the first one ever built with this hull. I love the colors and gel scheme.

I've been going to Parker and Havasu for 25 years and have always wanted an Eliminator. She is the second one I've owned and have built her to exactly what my dream boat would be. I would rather have this single engine sweet beast than any twin engine out there.

Hot Boat of the Month here comes She' Mine!

Thanks for your time!

WESTERNAERO
11-16-2013, 11:57 PM
Very nice!! :thumbup:

GRADS
11-17-2013, 12:11 AM
Thank you so much for posting this info on your boat, it only makes me want a 27' Daytona that much more. Do you have any pictures of the interior? Originally I wanted a 26' because of the back seat room but the 27' looks so much better. At one point and time I thought I had my Shockwave sold and I was looking to pull the trigger on this one.

She's Mine
11-17-2013, 12:34 AM
Thank you so much for posting this info on your boat, it only makes me want a 27' Daytona that much more. Do you have any pictures of the interior? Originally I wanted a 26' because of the back seat room but the 27' looks so much better. At one point and time I thought I had my Shockwave sold and I was looking to pull the trigger on this one.

No problem GRADS. It is my pleasure. That is one sweet looking boat, I wish things would have worked out for you on the purchase.

I have a Shockwave before my 26' Daytona. I found that Daytona at a really good price so I bought it without selling my Shockwave first, lol. I had two boats sitting in my driveway for 4 weeks, my neighbors thought I was doing something not legal... Lol I was able to get rid of the Shockwave pretty fast so things got back to normal fast.

I don't have any pics of the interior on my phone. I will get some and post them up.

Stainless
11-17-2013, 08:09 AM
Nice write up! I prefer the windshields you have also. Have you got top speed number yet?

CH3NO2

Eli
11-17-2013, 08:18 AM
Great stuff!! Next season should be a blast!

Sent from my Bat Cave

WMC
11-17-2013, 08:56 AM
X2 great write up. Boat looks killer. I too love the colors

sent from WMC's phone

28eliminator
11-17-2013, 09:19 AM
Nice write up, and great boat.

So when are we gonna see some numbers? Air's nice and cool right now :D

Sent from somewhere on the water

She's Mine
11-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Final tune will be done after Thanksgiving. Gordy is swamped with work right now for the Parker race Thanksgiving weekend.

I can't wait to see what she does. I'll be happy with 120-125 but would be beside myself with 125-130. Some people say I should see 128 but since I have the big drive I'm thinking low mid 120s. I might put an SC owner on her just for shits and giggles to see what she'll really do.

She's Mine
11-17-2013, 01:01 PM
I actually built this motor to cruise at a higher speed without pushing it. My last motor we cruised at 80-85 at 4800 rpms. With the test harness and not a final tune we were cruising around 75-80 at 3800rpms and 27% throttle... If I remember correctly... This is exactly what I set out to accomplish.