PDA

View Full Version : Editing software

Skav
11-13-2013, 10:30 AM
Here's a question I had while trying to edit my Monster Bash videos.

What's the best/easiest to use w a Mac?

I tried to use iMovie, but it wouldn't let me import the raw GoPro files. I ended up loading the files to my iPad, then using iMovie on the iPad to edit. I'd like to speed up more the 2x, then slow back to normal speed (kinda like how you could with a VCR), fade and add music to the audio in the video.

I'm far from a pro, and need something pretty simple.

I've heard about final cut, and I'm sure there are other options too.

Wendi
11-13-2013, 11:27 AM
Here's a question I had while trying to edit my Monster Bash videos.

What's the best/easiest to use w a Mac?

I tried to use iMovie, but it wouldn't let me import the raw GoPro files. I ended up loading the files to my iPad, then using iMovie on the iPad to edit. I'd like to speed up more the 2x, then slow back to normal speed (kinda like how you could with a VCR), fade and add music to the audio in the video.

I'm far from a pro, and need something pretty simple.

I've heard about final cut, and I'm sure there are other options too.

When Gothalos is done with class I'm sure he can chime in and give you some advice.

Cigalert
11-13-2013, 12:43 PM
iMovie can do all that. Strange that raw gopro footage won't load. It's by far the simplest to use. Did you try to import footage or drag and drop?

Skav
11-13-2013, 12:53 PM
iMovie can do all that. Strange that raw gopro footage won't load. It's by far the simplest to use. Did you try to import footage or drag and drop?

I tried to drag first , then I tried to import. Neither worked. I'll play around with it more tonight if I have a chance. Could there be an issue with the file size at 3gig plus?

GotHalos
11-13-2013, 03:29 PM
I tried to drag first , then I tried to import. Neither worked. I'll play around with it more tonight if I have a chance. Could there be an issue with the file size at 3gig plus?

Hmm...that's weird, I've never had an issue with iMovie. But like Cig said, iMovie can do all of that and it's pretty easy. I don't have any experience with final cut but Adobe is pretty difficult to use compared to iMovie.

Does it give an error when you try to load the footage?

Skav
11-13-2013, 04:00 PM
I get an error when trying to load. I'll take a screen shot tonight if I can.

Cigalert
11-13-2013, 07:50 PM
Hmm...that's weird, I've never had an issue with iMovie. But like Cig said, iMovie can do all of that and it's pretty easy. I don't have any experience with final cut but Adobe is pretty difficult to use compared to iMovie.

Does it give an error when you try to load the footage?

I was going to say, if you can't figure out iMovie then you shouldn't be even looking in the windows of Final Cut. Final Cut is very capable and not so fresh off the boat user friendly.

I get an error when trying to load. I'll take a screen shot tonight if I can.

You can try to download handbrake (free software) and run your raw GoPro files through there first. There are multiple formats within handbrake to save your re-run but some times GoPro footage becomes corrupt and needs a handbrake run to clean things up. I don't think file size has anything to do with it but I have noticed that larger files have been getting broken up into smaller segments quite a bit lately.

GotHalos
11-13-2013, 10:44 PM
I was going to say, if you can't figure out iMovie then you shouldn't be even looking in the windows of Final Cut. Final Cut is very capable and not so fresh off the boat user friendly.

You can try to download handbrake (free software) and run your raw GoPro files through there first. There are multiple formats within handbrake to save your re-run but some times GoPro footage becomes corrupt and needs a handbrake run to clean things up. I don't think file size has anything to do with it but I have noticed that larger files have been getting broken up into smaller segments quite a bit lately.

Don't want to thread jack but on a side note, do you know if that software will repair corrupt footage? Somewhere, I have footage from my crash of 50' above to 15' below but since the camera wasn't in the waterproof housing the file got damaged.

Cigalert
11-14-2013, 06:04 AM
Don't want to thread jack but on a side note, do you know if that software will repair corrupt footage? Somewhere, I have footage from my crash of 50' above to 15' below but since the camera wasn't in the waterproof housing the file got damaged.

It has brought a few GoPro files back from the dead.

She's Mine
11-14-2013, 11:09 AM
how are you getting your files from your GoPro to your iPad? I have been using Adobe Premier Elements and have heard good things about iMovie and would like to try it.

GotHalos
11-14-2013, 05:55 PM

Cool, I'll give it a look.

GotHalos
11-14-2013, 05:55 PM

Cool, I'll give it a look.