PDA

View Full Version : Shootout versus Drag Boat Racing in Nor Cal

41Live!
11-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Hi all,

I'm a seasoned promoter conducting an "interweb" unofficial poll. I've secure a cool venue for June (announcement coming in Mid December) with top tier entertainment on a floating stage, Camping, VIP Hospitality Area, Vendor Midway and general good times. My question is, is the demand higher for a good old fashioned "Shootout" with prize $$$ (thanks for the idea RW) or sanctioned drag racing? No jokes and I really appreciate all your constructive ideas and input, thanks...

GotHalos
11-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Hi all,

I'm a seasoned promoter conducting an "interweb" unofficial poll. I've secure a cool venue for June (announcement coming in Mid December) with top tier entertainment on a floating stage, Camping, VIP Hospitality Area, Vendor Midway and general good times. My question is, is the demand higher for a good old fashioned "Shootout" with prize $$$ (thanks for the idea RW) or sanctioned drag racing? No jokes and I really appreciate you constructive ideas and input, thanks...

Why not both?

WMC
11-06-2013, 08:45 AM
When you say shootout.... is it 1/4 mile run what you brung race? Welcome to Hotboat.com

Eli
11-06-2013, 08:50 AM
Welcome 41Live! I don't recall being asked to entertain ;)

Personally, I love a good shootout! But, the races are always so much fun too! As previously suggested is there an option to do both? Shootout on day 1 and races on days 2&3? That way you'll have a big turn out all three days.

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Paul65K
11-06-2013, 08:53 AM
IMHO shootouts are more fun to watch......there is much less "Down Time" and more action. Don't get me wrong Drags are way cool and fun to watch but there is a lot of down time and with a shootout pretty much anyone can participate and have fun!!

WMC
11-06-2013, 09:00 AM
If it's a topspeed shootout I would say do both. This would bring big and small boats together that would increase the size of the event. Win Win

HB Vic
11-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Are you a member of the Dave Matthews Band? :wink:

Welcome to www.hotboat.com (http://www.hotboat.com) Let us know if you would like a formal poll.

Nelson
11-06-2013, 09:09 AM
Hi all,

I'm a seasoned promoter conducting an "interweb" unofficial poll. I've secure a cool venue for June (announcement coming in Mid December) with top tier entertainment on a floating stage, Camping, VIP Hospitality Area, Vendor Midway and general good times. My question is, is the demand higher for a good old fashioned "Shootout" with prize $$$ (thanks for the idea RW) or sanctioned drag racing? No jokes and I really appreciate you constructive ideas and input, thanks...

can you be more specific on what it is your planning to do?

41Live!
11-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Plans and details will be announced by Mid- December, we are ironing out the details now. Venue and date are secured, we want to wrap this in a nice package with a formal press conference...

41Live!
11-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Why not both?

Possible, just want to see what the demand is. Thank you for the reply...

41Live!
11-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Are you a member of the Dave Matthews Band? :wink:

Welcome to www.hotboat.com (http://www.hotboat.com) Let us know if you would like a formal poll.

I would like very much to do a formal poll, with the question stated
Which would you be more likely to attend (in Nor Cal):
1.) Shootout (1/4 mile with classes and prize $)
2.) Drag Boat Racing ( Local Boats - Hosted by local sanctioning body )
3.) Combination of Both

Thank you for the reply and I appreciate the consideration...

HB Vic
11-06-2013, 02:00 PM
I would like very much to do a formal poll, with the question stated
Which would you be more likely to attend (in Nor Cal):
1.) Shootout (1/4 mile with classes and prize $)
2.) Drag Boat Racing ( Local Boats - Hosted by local sanctioning body )
3.) Combination of Both

Thank you for the reply and I appreciate the consideration...

Poll has been created. I made it a 30 day poll, but we can change that if you'd like. Good luck, would be interested to hear more publicly or privately.

41Live!
11-06-2013, 02:01 PM
can you be more specific on what it is your planning to do?

Details for the event will be ironed out by Mid December, with the venue and date already secured. We want to bring what is in demand hence the polling and questions. The Entertainment element is fairly straightforward , great music on a floating stage. The competition side is a bit more challenging as it needs to appeal to the masses enhancing the whole concept of this weekend.

41Live!
11-06-2013, 02:03 PM
When you say shootout.... is it 1/4 mile run what you brung race? Welcome to Hotboat.com

Yes, 1/4 mile with officials and safety personnel - class structure too...

41Live!
11-06-2013, 02:06 PM
Welcome 41Live! I don't recall being asked to entertain ;)

Personally, I love a good shootout! But, the races are always so much fun too! As previously suggested is there an option to do both? Shootout on day 1 and races on days 2&3? That way you'll have a big turn out all three days.

Sent from my Bat Cave...

It always comes down to supply and demand, cost versus outcome. Ideally we are looking at Friday as set-up day with Sat & Sun event days ( June 6 - 8, 2014 Tentative).

rivergames
11-06-2013, 02:27 PM
If the body of water is large enough for a TFH to safely shut down, get with Lucas and make this a series stop. CA needs a race next year

41Live!
11-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Poll has been created. I made it a 30 day poll, but we can change that if you'd like. Good luck, would be interested to hear more publicly or privately.

Thank you for creating the poll, Ill send PM...

Eli
11-06-2013, 02:30 PM
I would be willing to go to an event with either. It depends on the date and location. The dates look great! June is a slower month.

I look forward to getting the details of the location! Good luck in your planning! I'm already excited!

Sent from my Bat Cave...

41Live!
11-06-2013, 02:32 PM
If the body of water is large enough for a TFH to safely shut down, get with Lucas and make this a series stop. CA needs a race next year

I spoke with Ken @ LODBA and this would defiantly be a consideration in the near future. We would like to iron out the kinks and improve the infrastructure by getting a few events under our belt before bringing the big boys...Thank you for the reply

rivergames
11-06-2013, 02:42 PM
I spoke with Ken @ LODBA and this would defiantly be a consideration in the near future. We would like to iron out the kinks and improve the infrastructure by getting a few events under our belt before bringing the big boys...Thank you for the reply

That would be the man to talk to!

If/when Lucas goes up there, I'll see ya there :thumbsUp:

GRADS
11-06-2013, 03:45 PM
Ahhh so many questions.....

So Big Wake Weekend at Folsom is dead?

Is this going to be at Oroville? Only place that I know of that has camping and floating stages.

If you're going to do a shootout, which I would prefer, there is no way you're going to get the big names and big boat owners to "camp out". That's a little more jet boat style. ;)

If you do a shootout why not try to revive something like the Bridge to Bridge on the Sac. river?

I take it the Hydroplanes are not going to be part of it this year?

41Live!
11-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Ahhh so many questions.....

So Big Wake Weekend at Folsom is dead?

Is this going to be at Oroville? Only place that I know of that has camping and floating stages.

If you're going to do a shootout, which I would prefer, there is no way you're going to get the big names and big boat owners to "camp out". That's a little more jet boat style. ;)

If you do a shootout why not try to revive something like the Bridge to Bridge on the Sac. river?

I take it the Hydroplanes are not going to be part of it this year?

Thank you for the input, we need a few more weeks before we can reply to your inquiries. There are so many factors when it comes to promoting this type of event and even fewer venues available for many different reasons. We have a great foundation and a venue with lots of potential...stay tuned and thanks again...

Ziggy
11-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Your avatar photo is outstanding btw :thumbup::cool:
My preference as a spectator would be shootout. Drags kinda drag along sometimes plus you need near ideal conditions throughout.

From my POS T-mobile thingie

GRADS
11-09-2013, 01:24 AM
Any news?

RogerThat99
11-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Can't wait to get the details. I am happy to help out how ever you would like.

sent using Tapatalk.

HB Vic
11-09-2013, 10:10 AM
314 views and only 6 votes? C'mon people. This guy is asking for our feedback. Here's your opportunity to let him know what you would like to see. Your chance to carve the future vs coming back to this thread after the fact and complaining that you didn't get what you wanted LOL.

Please vote. Lets show him what we want. Thank you!

GRADS
11-09-2013, 10:24 AM
I voted, asked question and got zero answers.

HB Vic
11-09-2013, 10:29 AM

Let's put up some more votes then we'll interrogate him :D

Eli
11-09-2013, 10:31 AM
I voted...let me interrogate him ;)

Looks like only 7 people have voted. We need more people. I'm surprised, usually this crowd has no problem telling us what they think. Come on peeps let's get moving!

Sent from my Bat Cave...

41Live!
11-09-2013, 12:48 PM
Any news?
We need a few more weeks before we announce the details. Right now we are in the process of negotiating with the venue to firm up the date and the partnership arrangement. Secondly we are compiling the demand (based on forum polls and input from the boating community along with our sponsors) to construct the competition side of the event weekend. Personally I would like to see a combination of "Wild West Shootout" and solid drag boat racing with a reputable sanctioning body. In addition maybe some PWC racing to lure in the younger demographic. We need to combing culture (vendors, games, activities, boat show) sport (boat racing) and entertainment ( good music good variety). We will need support from the various clubs and also need cooperation from the different boating categories with a willingness to play in the sand box together...Thank you again for the interest, please feel free to send a PM also...

41Live!
11-09-2013, 01:04 PM

We replied to both your inquiries...

41Live!
11-09-2013, 01:04 PM
314 views and only 6 votes? C'mon people. This guy is asking for our feedback. Here's your opportunity to let him know what you would like to see. Your chance to carve the future vs coming back to this thread after the fact and complaining that you didn't get what you wanted LOL.

Please vote. Lets show him what we want. Thank you!

Thank you some much for reaching back to your faithful, it seems as if there is much interest and we really do need and want to hear constructive input...thanks all...

GotHalos
11-09-2013, 01:59 PM
Are you talking LOTO or Desert Storm style "Shootout" or something different?

I think shootout/racing/live bands is a great combo. :thumbup:

41Live!
11-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Are you talking LOTO or Desert Storm style "Shootout" or something different?

I think shootout/racing/live bands is a great combo. :thumbup:

We are taking LOTO style "(Insert Sponsor here) Wild West Shootout" and even offering up some prize $$$ in addition to adding a local charitable element similar to LOTO. We can do this with support from the Nor Cal boating Community. LOTO is so cool and been going on for 25 years!!!

GotHalos
11-09-2013, 02:33 PM
We are taking LOTO style "(Insert Sponsor here) Wild West Shootout" and even offering up some prize $$$ in addition to adding a local charitable element similar to LOTO. We can do this with support from the Nor Cal boating Community. LOTO is so cool and been going on for 25 years!!!

Very cool :thumbup: Hope it all comes together :)

HB Vic
11-09-2013, 05:49 PM
403 views and 10 votes. Hmmmm, I think we can do much better than this. Even if you can't attend, please let 41Live know what you would like to see. Not everyday a promoter comes on any site and asks for feedback on what people would like to see. I applaud his efforts really.

This is a boating event. This is a boating site. So lets do something for boating!! Please vote.

GRADS
11-09-2013, 06:31 PM
I think the success of the event depends on what the venue is.

Stainless
11-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Voted!
Reason I didn't originally is virtually no chance of attending bc of proximity.

HB Vic
11-09-2013, 06:35 PM
Voted!
Reason I didn't originally is virtually no chance of attending bc of proximity.

Thank you. I don't think 41Live, for the purposes of this poll, is too concerned right now about attendance. Seems he's trying to find out what people want to see first. Once he ascertains that, then he'll need to work his magic to actually get you to show up. So even if you can't make it, please vote!!

Stainless
11-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Thank you. I don't think 41Live, for the purposes of this poll, is too concerned right now about attendance. Seems he's trying to find out what people want to see first. Once he ascertains that, then he'll need to work his magic to actually get you to show up. So even if you can't make it, please vote!!

Yea, that's what I realized, and yes boats first! :)

Sent from the 20 Husky Tools Sprint Cup Car and NHRA Castrol GTX Ford Mustang

GRADS
11-10-2013, 02:35 AM
It sounds like the place it's going to be is CFW or Oroville. Methamphetamine capital of the state. Very little hotels....im fact only no tell motels which is great for jet boaters. We'll see about this. I will say 41Live did a great job with what they had to work with at BWW.

RogerThat99
11-10-2013, 08:30 AM
I voted. I couldn't vote from my phone.

41Live!
11-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Wow! Some very "interesting" responses to the inquiries. I would like to say first and foremost I'm in the business of event promotion and production and not and avid boat racer. Why does there appear to be so much negative energy within the categories of boating as well as the abundance of nay-say'ers whether on this or other boating forums. Based on our surveyors and polls there appears to be the demand in our community to produce a cool entertainment driven boating event weekend in Nor Cal. In order to pull this off we will need to all play in the sandbox ( jet boaters seem to get the brunt of the harassment). Just my thoughts, is it just the negative responses show up the most? 24867

41Live!
11-10-2013, 10:31 AM
I voted. I couldn't vote from my phone.

Roger, Thank you for the support and input, we could use 5,000 more of you...:-)

RogerThat99
11-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Roger, Thank you for the support and input, we could use 5,000 more of you...:-)

Thank you. I passed out a ton of flyers for BWW and shot the event for a magazine. I thought the event was very well run and organized. You did a great job putting it together. Like I said, whatever you decide to do, I am happy to help out however I can.

sent using Tapatalk.

GRADS
11-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Jet boaters are fun to pick on because their Craigslist ads say their boats do 100 mph but in reality they hit a wall at about 55 mph. ;)

Racer J
11-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Jet boaters are fun to pick on because their Craigslist ads say their boats do 100 mph but in reality they hit a wall at about 55 mph. ;)

Lol, yeah jet boats suck! I'm lucky to get mine over 45mph.

jrork
11-13-2013, 06:40 AM
Nutz, just saw this and tried to vote but it was already closed. I sincerely hope you are able to pull something together. Big Wake looked like it was fun but with Seafair and TriCities closer to me, it's easier to stay home and get my hydro fix.

BUT, when you move into v-drives, jets (and even outboards) drags and shootouts, it's a different story. A group up here in Washington have been trying to get some drag racing started in state but as you being a professional can understand, not an easy thing to do for some general boaters/racers.

Good luck and I for sure will be watching for your announcement...........john

HB Vic
11-13-2013, 07:19 AM
The poll should still be open. I will check.

jrork
11-13-2013, 07:37 AM
The poll should still be open. I will check.

Sorry, I'm a moron. It says I already voted so one of my attempts from my tablet must have worked and I didn't realize it. Thanks for checking. Sure hope 41 can pull something together!

YLDBOYZ
11-13-2013, 09:28 AM
BS, you need 25 posts to vote?
I was already a member years ago, until the site went off line.

HB Vic
11-13-2013, 09:33 AM

Lol no, not for this poll.

YLDBOYZ
11-13-2013, 09:37 AM
Lol no, not for this poll.

I was not able to vote, the prompt window came up and said i couldn't vote.

Eli
11-13-2013, 09:37 AM

What up!! Gonna be passing through your hood today!!

25 posts that's 12.5 minutes worth of work, we have to practice patience around here ;) I now know what 30 seconds means :D

Sent from my Bat Cave

YLDBOYZ
11-13-2013, 09:45 AM
What up!! Gonna be passing through your hood today!!

25 posts that's 12.5 minutes worth of work, we have to practice patience around here ;) I now know what 30 seconds means :D

Sent from my Bat Cave

Hi Eli,
Good to see you again!

Really, where about are you going?
Haha, that's my problem, i don't work. I'll slowly get there, i will take your advise and be patient.

HB Vic
11-13-2013, 09:45 AM
I was not able to vote, the prompt window came up and said i couldn't vote.

I'll check on that

YLDBOYZ
11-13-2013, 09:49 AM
I'll check on that

:thumbup:

Eli
11-13-2013, 09:50 AM
Hi Eli,
Good to see you again!

Really, where about are you going?
Haha, that's my problem, i don't work. I'll slowly get there, i will take your advise and be patient.

Heading to Chatsworth!

Yea be patient this is worth voting for. How often do we get to have a say in an event that could be an annual trip. Vote for both ;) I'm lobbying lol

Sent from my Bat Cave

YLDBOYZ
11-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Heading to Chatsworth!

Yea be patient this is worth voting for. How often do we get to have a say in an event that could be an annual trip. Vote for both ;) I'm lobbying lol

Sent from my Bat Cave

Oh nice!

Not often, that sounds like a good deal, that why i wanted to vote.
Lol, you got my vote!

Eli
11-13-2013, 10:20 AM
Oh nice!

Not often, that sounds like a good deal, that why i wanted to vote.
Lol, you got my vote!

Chatsworth is where good people do bad things ;)

Great! I like the support!

Sent from my Bat Cave

YLDBOYZ
11-13-2013, 11:06 AM
Chatsworth is where good people do bad things ;)

Great! I like the support!

Sent from my Bat Cave

I like the sounds of that :happy:

Eli
11-13-2013, 11:44 AM
I like the sounds of that :happy:

Great minds think alike...In our case dirty minds think alike too! ;)

Did you get your vote in?

Sent from my Bat Cave

YLDBOYZ
11-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Great minds think alike...In our case dirty minds think alike too! ;)

Did you get your vote in?

Sent from my Bat Cave

I'm picking up what you're throwing down....
I only have 10 posts, i need 25 to be able to vote.

Eli
11-13-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm picking up what you're throwing down....
I only have 10 posts, i need 25 to be able to vote.

Follow me around and reply ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave

YLDBOYZ
11-13-2013, 12:37 PM
Follow me around and reply ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave

That will work for me.

Eli
11-13-2013, 12:41 PM
I'm excited about this event going forward

Sent from my Bat Cave

YLDBOYZ
11-13-2013, 01:11 PM
I'm excited about this event going forward

Sent from my Bat Cave

You cant go wrong with an event like that.
Lets hope its two for one.

Eli
11-13-2013, 01:13 PM
You cant go wrong with an event like that.
Lets hope its two for one.

6 for 1 is what I'm going for

Sent from my Bat Cave

YLDBOYZ
11-13-2013, 01:31 PM
6 for 1 is what I'm going for

Sent from my Bat Cave

Hey, i'll buy that for a dollar.