PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving and Prime rib

Unforgiven
11-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Since Eli brought up Thanks giving...Cooking a Prime Rib..I pretty much follow this one unless I'm cooking outside over my Red Oak Pit..I do add our own santa maria style seasoning...instead of the "salt and pepper" and it gets injected with garlic cloves, then a basting of butter before it's carved and served.

Roasted Prime Rib

If you like, you can use the reserved juices from this dish to make a brown gravy. A VERY easy way to do this is to use those gravy packets from the store. Rather than adding water as the packet recipes says, add the roast drippings instead. (In other words, if the gravy packet says to add 1 cup water to the seasoning packet, add 1 cup of drippings to the packet instead. If your gravy is too thick, add water then).

Ingredients
1 Seven Pound prime beef rib roast (figure about ¾ pound per person. This size should feed 10 people)
Olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
Salt and Pepper
Roasting Pan

To Make...

1. Remove your meat from the refrigerator at least 1 hour before cooking it, so it reaches room temperature.

2. Preheat Oven to 475 degrees.

3. Put the roast, fat side up (rib side down) in your roasting pan on a wire rack which allows the drippings of the roast to catch in the bottom of your roasting pan.

4. Rub olive oil all over the roast.

5. Remove the thyme leaves from twigs and press the thyme leaves all over the roast to adhere the thyme directly to the meat.

6. Generously season the entire roast with salt and pepper.

7. Make sure that your meat is at room temperature before cooking it.

8. Roast the meat , uncovered, in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes (DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR DURING THIS TIME!!)

9. Reduce the oven heat to 300 degrees and roast for another 90 minutes. The "formula" is around 13 minutes per pound at this stage and this temperature. Check the meat with a meat thermometer. The roast is done when the thermometer reads 115 degrees.

10. Remove the meat from the oven and allow it to rest, covered with aluminum foil for at least 10 minutes and no more than 20. Carve the meat and serve your perfect roast.

Eli
11-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Where can we get the Santa Maria seasoning?

This sounds delicious!

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Tishimself
11-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Ugh....the holidays...here they come....we do turkey for thanksgiving.....prime rib Christmas eve...traditional English roast lamb on Christmas day....best to you all this season.....

Unforgiven
11-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Where can we get the Santa Maria seasoning?

This sounds delicious!

Sent from my Bat Cave...

you can buy it online or I can send/bring to your house...

Eli
11-04-2013, 03:29 PM
you can buy it online or I can send/bring to your house...

Where do you live?

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Tishimself
11-04-2013, 03:32 PM
If you are a fan of cream corn like me....I will post up the easiest fastest best tasting cream corn recipe ever....your mouths will thank me....

Unforgiven
11-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Where do you live?

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Nipomo...central coast Cali...15 minutes from Santa Maria..10 minutes from Arroyo Grande...25 minutes from San Luis Obispo..

riverbound
11-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Nipomo...central coast Cali...15 minutes from Santa Maria..10 minutes from Arroyo Grande...25 minutes from San Luis Obispo..

Same town as jockos ;)

Unforgiven
11-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Right on RB!..when you coming back up here?

Eli
11-04-2013, 03:56 PM
If you are a fan of cream corn like me....I will post up the easiest fastest best tasting cream corn recipe ever....your mouths will thank me....

Cream corn huh?

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Eli
11-04-2013, 03:57 PM

I'm not sure you wanna drive it out to me ;)

Can I have the website address?

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Unforgiven
11-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Cream corn huh?

Sent from my Bat Cave...

For some reason I knew you couldn't resist the "CREAM" part...

Unforgiven
11-04-2013, 03:59 PM
I'm not sure you wanna drive it out to me ;)

Can I have the website address?

Sent from my Bat Cave...

I'll look it up tonight

Eli
11-04-2013, 03:59 PM
For some reason I knew you couldn't resist the "CREAM" part...

Well it sounds mouthwatering and delicious!

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Eli
11-04-2013, 04:00 PM
I'll look it up tonight

So you're not driving it to San Diego for me? Sheesh

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Unforgiven
11-04-2013, 04:28 PM
So you're not driving it to San Diego for me? Sheesh

Sent from my Bat Cave...

we'll be coming down to the OC in a few weeks...is that close enough?

Eli
11-04-2013, 04:29 PM
we'll be coming down to the OC in a few weeks...is that close enough?

I was joking...that's still 70 plus miles away. If you get me the website address I'll order it. Thank you!!!

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Unforgiven
11-04-2013, 04:30 PM
http://www.susieqbrand.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&c=1&p=7

riverbound
11-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Right on RB!..when you coming back up here?

Not sure. Haven't been making it up as much lately. Work and football has had me pretty tied up.

niceguyeddie
11-04-2013, 04:43 PM
I'm making this!

Wendi
11-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Yummy I'm making it to, but not for Thanksgiving. Christmas.