PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who never figured out what the ??

Relaxalot
10-31-2013, 05:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck0JCaMt4tA

28eliminator
10-31-2013, 06:09 PM
Oddly, this song is starting to grow on me....

Eli
10-31-2013, 07:09 PM
That was super cool! How did they do that?

Sent from my Bat Cave...

FormulaZR
11-01-2013, 08:18 AM
That was super cool! How did they do that?

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Over 8,500 lights and roughly 1066 channels of computer animation.

Eli
11-01-2013, 08:19 AM
Over 8,500 lights and roughly 1066 channels of computer animation.

Was that your house?

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Napanutt
11-01-2013, 08:22 AM
This one here is still my favorite decorated house light show.

http://youtu.be/EWWFmhJKJW8

Sharp shooter
11-01-2013, 08:49 AM
This one here is still my favorite decorated house light show.

http://youtu.be/EWWFmhJKJW8

:action-smiley-035: :action-smiley-035:

GRADS
11-01-2013, 09:20 AM
Imagine being their neighbors???? Forget the lights...imagine listen to that song over and over every night? :yikes: My ears would be bleeding.

Napanutt
11-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Imagine being their neighbors???? Forget the lights...imagine listen to that song over and over every night? :yikes: My ears would be bleeding.

Imagine your neighbors the year you Griswald out your house. They needed hotel curtains to sleep until you turned them off. :)

FormulaZR
11-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Was that your house?

Sent from my Bat Cave...

No, but I've been trying to study some on animated light shows. Pretty cool stuff.

The info I posted about the 8500 lights and 1066 computer channels is in the description of that video on Youtube. If you look at his earlier animated light shows...you can see this year was quite an improvement - which is also due in part (I assume) to increasing from 230 channels to 1066 channels.

I am pretty sure the house just broadcasts the music with an FM transmitter (similar to the FM iPod kits...for instance). I don't *think* the house has audible music - at least not at a very loud volume.

When you drive by the house, you just tune your radio to whatever freq they are broadcasting on.

Eli
11-01-2013, 10:53 AM
No, but I've been trying to study some on animated light shows. Pretty cool stuff.

The info I posted about the 8500 lights and 1066 computer channels is in the description of that video on Youtube. If you look at his earlier animated light shows...you can see this year was quite an improvement - which is also due in part (I assume) to increasing from 230 channels to 1066 channels.

I am pretty sure the house just broadcasts the music with an FM transmitter (similar to the FM iPod kits...for instance). I don't *think* the house has audible music - at least not at a very loud volume.

When you drive by the house, you just tune your radio to whatever freq they are broadcasting on.

Say What??? :headscratch:

FormulaZR
11-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Say What??? :headscratch:

Which part?

Eli
11-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Which part?

Yes

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Napanutt
11-01-2013, 11:43 AM

As far I know you are correct about the music being transmitted via FM. I by no means am any kind of expert but I've been fascinated by house light shows for a while now. Trans Siberian Orchestra music is awesome for Christmas.
http://youtu.be/g0IwpRzWL_4

FormulaZR
11-01-2013, 01:40 PM
Yes

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Well, maybe you've got into the wine early? No problem...I have, too...so please disregard any unintelligible explanation.

The lights themselves are on individual "channels" as needed. Like...when the white floods come on, that would be a single channel most likely. The various mouth expressions and blinking of eyes are also a separate channel for each individual expression. IE: eyes open, eyes shut, eyes partially open would be 3 channels.

Let's look at it like a boat:
0% throttle = channel 1
50% throttle = channel 2
100% throttle = channel 3
Forward = channel 4
Reverse = channel 5

So, to go full throttle forward, you could combine channel 3 and 4. Maybe you'd set channel 4 to "engage" before channel 3 so you had a better transition. Or...for smoother acceleration, you'd go channel 4 & 1, followed by channel 4 & 2, followed again by channel 4 & 3.

If you wanted to stop, you'd either apply only channel 1...or to stop fast (in a jet anyway), 5 & 3. Or...for a slower decel, you'd go channel 1, followed by 5 & 1, followed by 5 & 2, followed by 5 & 3...and then when stopped/slowed you'd go back to channel 1.

Each channel can be activated individually...or in conjunction with another channel to give the desired effect. The more channels, the more "resolution"...and will result in better expressions or movement...but it also takes much longer to program/synchronize.

Each channel will only have an "on" or "off" setting (most likely - they could have an intensity variable). So...it's all about the timing to make it look right.

As for the FM broadcast...think of it as a very small, short range FM radio station. They have a system set up to broadcast the music on an FM band. Just say 99.1 - so you drive up, tune your radio to 99.1 and you hear the music in sync with the animation. That is also how "modern" drive in theaters work (in case you have one close to you?). If you have ever put an iPod in car that didn't have USB/3.5mm jack...you used an FM modulator. You plug the iPod into the modulator...set the modulator to an "open" station, and then tune your radio to that station to hear what the iPod is playing. This is the same concept, but with a little more power.

Eli
11-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Well, maybe you've got into the wine early? No problem...I have, too...so please disregard any unintelligible explanation.

The lights themselves are on individual "channels" as needed. Like...when the white floods come on, that would be a single channel most likely. The various mouth expressions and blinking of eyes are also a separate channel for each individual expression. IE: eyes open, eyes shut, eyes partially open would be 3 channels.

As for the FM broadcast...think of it as a very small, short range FM radio station. They have a system set up to broadcast the music on an FM band. Just say 99.1 - so you drive up, tune your radio to 99.1 and you hear the music in sync with the animation. That is also how "modern" drive in theaters work (in case you have one close to you?).

Is this done on a computer?

Drive in theater? We have to walk into our but we drive to the parking lot ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave...

FormulaZR
11-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Is this done on a computer?

Drive in theater? We have to walk into our but we drive to the parking lot ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave...

In the case of these lights, yes...it's done with a computer. A computer will be programmed to activate one or more of the 1-1066 channels in whatever sequence is programmed.

As for the drive-in. I guess you are missing out. Watching a movie in your car is awesome. Especially if it's a convertible with an "above average" stereo system.

Eli
11-01-2013, 02:04 PM
In the case of these lights, yes...it's done with a computer. A computer will be programmed to activate one or more of the 1-1066 channels in whatever sequence is programmed.

As for the drive-in. I guess you are missing out. Watching a movie in your car is awesome. Especially if it's a convertible with an "above average" stereo system.

Watching a movie in my car...sounds like fun ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave...

FormulaZR
11-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Watching a movie in my car...sounds like fun ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave...

You've really never done that?!?

Eli
11-01-2013, 03:41 PM
You've really never done that?!?

Twice...Once with my aunt and 15 kids in one car when I was in junior high school and the second time I was 17. I went with a boy. It sucked...we played Octopus hands all night. He laughed at me because I said, "I'm not going to tell you again. Stop!" and then I punched him in the thigh...missed his junk and went to my sister's car that was parked next to us. Fun memories. I can't remember the guy's name, but he was the worst kisser ever!

Joker
11-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Twice...Once with my aunt and 15 kids in one car when I was in junior high school and the second time I was 17. I went with a boy. It sucked...we played Octopus hands all night. He laughed at me because I said, "I'm not going to tell you again. Stop!" and then I punched him in the thigh...missed his junk and went to my sister's car that was parked next to us. Fun memories. I can't remember the guy's name, but he was the worst kisser ever!

LMAO, nothing like a good charlie horse.

Eli
11-01-2013, 03:56 PM
LMAO, nothing like a good charlie horse.

He did say I gave him a charlie horse...I had no idea what a Charlie Horse was. I wish I could remember his name! We were in his mom's green minivan. I should've known better lol. Good thing my sister was there or he would've ended up in the hospital ;) Needless to say, I never went to a drive in with a boy again!

hpboats83
11-02-2013, 08:33 AM
After watching these videos, my wheels are spinning right now :bananadance: