PDA

View Full Version : SHOWTIME USA Top Alcohol Hydro

Unforgiven
10-30-2013, 03:12 PM
23510My daughter has been bugging me/us about going back to boat racing..I got to tell you it's been on the back of my mind..When we started racing in TAD in NHRA , it was alot of fun and alot of work..but I have to say..We had alot more fun boat racing...I've been talking to Mike Boyce about good ole days and how much fun we had building and wrenching the boat..Some of our friends and family were amazed how you can get a guy from Tulsa, Oklahoma and a Guy from Bakersfield, California could get together and build this boat: It couldn't happen without the likes of Tommy Thompson, Mike Brown and Mike Boyce & Broken Arrow Powder Coating. Thanks for the fun guys...Hopefully someday we'll put one back together!23509

Wendi
10-30-2013, 03:18 PM
My daughter has been bugging me/us about going back to boat racing..I got to tell you it's been on the back of my mind..When we started racing in TAD in NHRA , it was alot of fun and alot of work..but I have to say..We had alot more fun boat racing...I've been talking to Mike Boyce about good ole days and how much fun we had building and wrenching the boat..Some of our friends and family were amazed how you can get a guy from Tulsa, Oklahoma and a Guy from Bakersfield, California could get together and build this boat: It couldn't happen without the likes of Tommy Thompson, Mike Brown and Mike Boyce & Broken Arrow Powder Coating. Thanks for the fun guys...Hopefully someday we'll put one back together!23509 Very nice looking boat. Hope you can get back into it. I know how passionate you are about boat racing.

Stainless
10-30-2013, 03:25 PM
Had no idea you were in TAH, tell us more!:)

Unforgiven
10-30-2013, 03:38 PM
Had no idea you were in TAH, tell us more!:)

How far back you want me to go?? when I first started out helping wipe down the top fuelers when I was in high school hoping someone would give a chance to learn motors? When I got my hands on one of the First BAE's installed in TAH? (Mission Possible) Dropped my first crank out of an ARIAS (about 3/4 track) in a boat called Madlayer? man we use to blow up alot of shit in the day ..then we started to learn how to really tune (Thanks Ralph Gorr and Brad Anderson) But one guy out of Tulsa was the best teacher I ever had..Mike Boyce..When I get home I'll get my album out from one of our events at Firebird..22 Alcohol Hydros in the staging lanes..16-18 fuelers...shit. Blown Gas Hydro use to have a full field.....try to get some pics up...

Eli
10-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Wow that's a pretty boat! You need to get back into it so we can live vicariously through you ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave...

GotHalos
10-30-2013, 05:06 PM
Very cool :thumbup:

rioracr
10-30-2013, 07:35 PM
those were the days when they had full fields and BFF's...

Napanutt
10-30-2013, 09:37 PM
I didn't know that about you either unforgivin. Your name's Eddie, right?
I've seen post from you but never gathered that you were a boat racer. Fast shit is so cool but I'm sure really expensive and time consuming. Beautiful pics you posted up there.

Unforgiven
10-31-2013, 06:48 AM
I didn't know that about you either unforgivin. Your name's Eddie, right?
I've seen post from you but never gathered that you were a boat racer. Fast shit is so cool but I'm sure really expensive and time consuming. Beautiful pics you posted up there.
yes I'm Eddie..and with time I'll post more pic..thanks..

Hannes Wernherdt drove this boat, (he wrecked the other SHOWTIME in Chowchilla) So then we built this one..In the end, Hannes went on to run his own boat(State Of Shock) I helped him with that one...then I ended up going to NHRA helping on Kurt Schendels A-fuel Dragster..Mind you I'm a Blown Alcohol guy but when I first saw the potential of 100% nitro in A-fuel..I was sold..when they changed the rules on us (dropped percentage of nitro) the blown cars seem to have an edge...But now I sit back and relax..I'll be in Pomona hangng with Rizzoli or Meirsch, but these days I rather BBQ and drink beer at the races..I remember years ago when some of the ole timers showed me how to wrench these things..man we got things turned around in 90 minutes...and we got quicker in between rounds..thats when the weekend was over and I needed days off to relax..I spent my last season with Rizzoli before he took the car out for a full tour with Aarron Oliverez driving.. I have a full time job..so I opted out..It was fun..In boat racing, there's alot more spectator involvement..(the woman love the boats and they seem to want to take more pics on the boats)..

Stainless
10-31-2013, 06:56 AM
Unforgiven, I have a couple of questions about Top Fuel engines in cars if you can answer. First question, when the crew starts the engine after rebuild sometimes they do it on alchohol and others they start on alchohol and switch to Nitro, why is this?
Second question, when the car is staged you can hear a noticeable pull-down in the engine right before they launch, can you explain?

Brian
10-31-2013, 08:38 AM
Easier on parts to warm the engine on Alcohol, cheaper too. The pull down you hear is th driver turning the fuel pumps all the way on and them letting off the clutch pedal all the way.

Unforgiven
10-31-2013, 08:40 AM
Unforgiven, I have a couple of questions about Top Fuel engines in cars if you can answer. First question, when the crew starts the engine after rebuild sometimes they do it on alchohol and others they start on alchohol and switch to Nitro, why is this?
Second question, when the car is staged you can hear a noticeable pull-down in the engine right before they launch, can you explain?

Carbon, I'll tell you how we did it and why..not saying everyone does it the same way..so here it goes..In the pits when we do our our first start we squirt into the injectors with Alcohol (gas if it's cold out) and we have an alcohol bottle tied into the fuel system with fuel pump off..We fire off the motor and let it build heat and verify all holes are firing, while this is going on we also look for oil leaks..While this is going on, the driver will let out the clutch and tires are spinning, he pushed in clutch and puts the car in reverse (this is done on the stands) then pushes clutch back in and goes forward. ( this verifies we can shift the car forward- reverse, make sure it all works)this all happens within 1st minutes of starting car. Once the tuner and i agree all is well..we signal to driver to engage the pump..as the motor starts to pick up the Nitro we kill the alcohol..the pump is only feeding part of the fuel to the motor at this time..(now I'm looking for leaks in the fuel system) once all is looking good (remember the tires are still spinning) I'll signal to the driver to engage the pump fully and pull the brake...the brake will load the engine and thats where the Nitro starts going nuts (without the load you'll see raw fuel out the pipes..) we'll do that twice make sure there's no leaks and signal to the drive to kill the pump..the motor starts to clear up, then starts to idle up then we kill the mags.. .thats out initial start....now we do a quick lookover. clear out any nitro thats in the fuel systen (pump is shut off and system drained of fuel) pull plugs, run valves, adjust clutch and put it back together..we're ready to head to staging lanes. On the starting line: the car has plenty of temp on it so when we start start it on Alcohol..look over to the car in the other lane..we get the nod they are ready, I signal the driver to start engaging the pump, (partial only) motor is running on Nitro and quick lookover i have driver come into the water box for a burnout..he does his thing..Now here''s where a-fuel is different that in a blown car.. being injected we have alot of compression in the motor on once the car stages, the driver will engage the pump full and this thing starts getting violent..Nitro like to see a load....Now on a top fuel car...when it first stages, it's also only on partial pump once it get's to ready to stage the driver will fully engage the pump..ALOT of fuel is running thru the motor. On a A-fuel deal we hit the motor with 21-22 gallons of fuel running thru the system (like i said others will hit it with more or less)Top fuel is going to be twice as much if not more...

Unforgiven
10-31-2013, 08:44 AM
There's alot more that goes on behind the scenes of running these cars that I haven't brought up..like I said..I'll be in Pomona hanging out..get a hold of me and we'll show you the whole routine from start to finish....Eddie

Sharp shooter
10-31-2013, 08:50 AM
Hey Eddie, do you know any of these guys. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRfs_aqNBgE

Stainless
10-31-2013, 08:53 AM
Easier on parts to warm the engine on Alcohol, cheaper too. The pull down you hear is th driver turning the fuel pumps all the way on and them letting off the clutch pedal all the way.

Carbon, I'll tell you how we did it and why..not saying everyone does it the same way..so here it goes..In the pits when we do our our first start we squirt into the injectors with Alcohol (gas if it's cold out) and we have an alcohol bottle tied into the fuel system with fuel pump off..We fire off the motor and let it build heat and verify all holes are firing, while this is going on we also look for oil leaks..While this is going on, the driver will let out the clutch and tires are spinning, he pushed in clutch and puts the car in reverse (this is done on the stands) then pushes clutch back in and goes forward. ( this verifies we can shift the car forward- reverse, make sure it all works)this all happens within 1st minutes of starting car. Once the tuner and i agree all is well..we signal to driver to engage the pump..as the motor starts to pick up the Nitro we kill the alcohol..the pump is only feeding part of the fuel to the motor at this time..(now I'm looking for leaks in the fuel system) once all is looking good (remember the tires are still spinning) I'll signal to the driver to engage the pump fully and pull the brake...the brake will load the engine and thats where the Nitro starts going nuts (without the load you'll see raw fuel out the pipes..) we'll do that twice make sure there's no leaks and signal to the drive to kill the pump..the motor starts to clear up, then starts to idle up then we kill the mags.. .thats out initial start....now we do a quick lookover. clear out any nitro thats in the fuel systen (pump is shut off and system drained of fuel) pull plugs, run valves, adjust clutch and put it back together..we're ready to head to staging lanes. On the starting line: the car has plenty of temp on it so when we start start it on Alcohol..look over to the car in the other lane..we get the nod they are ready, I signal the driver to start engaging the pump, (partial only) motor is running on Nitro and quick lookover i have driver come into the water box for a burnout..he does his thing..Now here''s where a-fuel is different that in a blown car.. being injected we have alot of compression in the motor on once the car stages, the driver will engage the pump full and this thing starts getting violent..Nitro like to see a load....Now on a top fuel car...when it first stages, it's also only on partial pump once it get's to ready to stage the driver will fully engage the pump..ALOT of fuel is running thru the motor. On a A-fuel deal we hit the motor with 21-22 gallons of fuel running thru the system (like i said others will hit it with more or less)Top fuel is going to be twice as much if not more...

Thanks Brian and Unforgiven, those are great explanations, and spot on with what I see the fuel teams doing, so it was easy for me to understand! Glad I asked, and got knowlegeable responses. :cool

Unforgiven
10-31-2013, 09:45 AM
Hey Eddie, do you know any of these guys. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRfs_aqNBgE

funny you bring up Gary Scelzi...we put him SHOWTIME USA for a warmup in Chowchilla...Hannes wadded up the boat on the next pass...while in Pomona, we went by to see Gary..he waves me in the pits while he was doing his autograph session...he asks me.."Did your driver really wreck the boat after I sat it it?" I told him yes and he told me someone came by to show him a vid of him in the boat and then the following crash.. I told him it sucked but we built a new one..I asked if he could return a favor and let me sit in the car for a warmup...all I got was "your kidding right?" ....Shortly after that HE got to warm up the car....On another note...for those of you that go to Pomona..you can always go visit the smaller teams in Top Fuel..they are more receiptive to people want to come buy and ask questions and check out the cars..as long as they are not in the middle of a turn around..Your bigger teams..lot of times are "just too busy"

Sharp shooter
10-31-2013, 11:20 AM
funny you bring up Gary Scelzi...we put him SHOWTIME USA for a warmup in Chowchilla...Hannes wadded up the boat on the next pass...while in Pomona, we went by to see Gary..he waves me in the pits while he was doing his autograph session...he asks me.."Did your driver really wreck the boat after I sat it it?" I told him yes and he told me someone came by to show him a vid of him in the boat and then the following crash.. I told him it sucked but we built a new one..I asked if he could return a favor and let me sit in the car for a warmup...all I got was "your kidding right?" ....Shortly after that HE got to warm up the car....On another note...for those of you that go to Pomona..you can always go visit the smaller teams in Top Fuel..they are more receiptive to people want to come buy and ask questions and check out the cars..as long as they are not in the middle of a turn around..Your bigger teams..lot of times are "just too busy"

He should've at least let you do 1 warm up. lol

I thought you might recognize Jerry Darien and Web. I work with Web.

Here's an oldie I shot at Pomona years back...

Unforgiven
10-31-2013, 11:47 AM
He should've at least let you do 1 warm up. lol

I thought you might recognize Jerry Darien and Web. I work with Web.

Here's an oldie I shot at Pomona years back...

Darrien is still out running..not as great as when he had all the Force girls driving for him.

Sharp shooter
10-31-2013, 12:05 PM
Darrien is still out running..not as great as when he had all the Force girls driving for him.

Ya, that had to be the highlight of his career.

Here's a few more old pics. :smile:

Stainless
10-31-2013, 12:06 PM
Did someone say Force girls?
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/01/a9ete3ud.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/01/ry5udesa.jpg

CH3NO2

Unforgiven
10-31-2013, 12:09 PM
Ya, that had to be the highlight of his career.

Here's a few more old pics. :smile:

Man, Darrien has packed on about 50 lbs since that pic if not more..and last time we were around him he was still smoking like a chimney