PDA

View Full Version : Coyote Sighting on my hike - Too close for comfort

Wendi
10-30-2013, 09:44 AM
So 3-4 times a week I hike up to the water tower. It is behind the homes next to the rolling hills. I do 77 railroad tie stairs 5-7 times up and down and then continue up to the water tower on the dirt road. Today as I'm at the top of the stairs I see I nice sized coyote come out from the bushes (where I walk). Yikes, I have Roscoe with me so I immediately put the leash on him. Coyote doesn't see me and I make sure Roscoe doesn't see coyote. I watch him as he continues into the hills and out of site. So I continue on my hike to the water tower. Question: If that happened close up do you think coyote would attack because of Roscoe being there? I've run into coyotes before but I wasn't walking my dog and we just ignore each other and go on our way.

ChumpChange
10-30-2013, 09:47 AM
Only in some strange circumstance will they generally bother you. They're pretty schitzo creatures.

riverrunner1984
10-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Kim has seen one on her walk with our dog jack. She walks him in a concrete river bed in Rancho and thats where the COyote was but on the opposite side. The coyote saw jack but jack did not see the coyote. Kim turned around and started booking it back to the main street, foothill. She said she looked ahead and the Coyote was ahead of them just watching them from the opposite side still, like stalking them....The side the Coyote was on had a fence so nothing ever happened.

Another time, I was walking jack on the bike path trail and when it crossed baseline, I saw a Coyote on the other side of the street and the Coyote saw Jack and me. I made a quick left and sprinted to a gas station with the lights on and a couple cars filling up. I looked back and saw the Coyote cross the street but in the bushes this time....Needless to say, I waited until it walked away and I didnt see it anymore.

Both instances happened between 5-630am when it is not completely light out.
If I walk early in the morning now, I take a golf club just in case.

Wendi
10-30-2013, 10:01 AM
Kim has seen one on her walk with our dog jack. She walks him in a concrete river bed in Rancho and thats where the COyote was but on the opposite side. The coyote saw jack but jack did not see the coyote. Kim turned around and started booking it back to the main street, foothill. She said she looked ahead and the Coyote was ahead of them just watching them from the opposite side still, like stalking them....The side the Coyote was on had a fence so nothing ever happened.

Another time, I was walking jack on the bike path trail and when it crossed baseline, I saw a Coyote on the other side of the street and the Coyote saw Jack and me. I made a quick left and sprinted to a gas station with the lights on and a couple cars filling up. I looked back and saw the Coyote cross the street but in the bushes this time....Needless to say, I waited until it walked away and I didnt see it anymore.

Both instances happened between 5-630am when it is not completely light out.
If I walk early in the morning now, I take a golf club just in case. All my run ins and sightings are after 8:00 am. But I hike in the hills in their territory. I'm going to take a golf club with me just in case I have to beat the crap out of it.

riverrunner1984
10-30-2013, 10:04 AM
All my run ins and sightings are after 8:00 am. But I hike in the hills in their territory. I'm going to take a golf club with me just in case I have to beat the crap out of it.

Exactly, I am not worried about myself just about my dog. I want to be able to beat the Coyote off of Jack.
I also got Kim a Taser last year to walk with but she is scared of it. Amazon has it for like $25. Ill look for it and post a link

WESTERNAERO
10-30-2013, 10:04 AM
How to handle coyotes 101, class dismissed.

riverrunner1984
10-30-2013, 10:05 AM
Here it is.
Guess its only $8 now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00961PZVI/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wendi
10-30-2013, 10:06 AM

Ewwwe. Poor Wiley why did you kill him?

Stainless
10-30-2013, 10:09 AM
I have a lot of them were I live. I think the only time you need to fear them if its more than one or it be rabbid. They will try to trick a lone dog out and then the pack will kill it. I like your idea of beating the crap out of it though!:LMAOsmiley:

WESTERNAERO
10-30-2013, 10:09 AM
Ewwwe. Poor Wiley why did you kill him?

AZGFD encourages all hunters to do so. Population out of control I guess.

Wendi
10-30-2013, 10:10 AM
Here it is.
Guess its only $8 now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00961PZVI/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 You got hosed!!! LMAO

WESTERNAERO
10-30-2013, 10:12 AM
Have a run in with a mountain lion sometime. Thanks interesting for sure, gets the blood flowing. :yikes:

rschap1
10-30-2013, 10:14 AM
Had a friend that made a coat out of 30 or 40 of their hides.
It was cool.
A couple of their little heads at the ends of the sleeves.
I see 'em around my area.
Only a threat in packs.
But that is how they are usually found.

obnoxious001
10-30-2013, 10:22 AM
All my run ins and sightings are after 8:00 am. But I hike in the hills in their territory. I'm going to take a golf club with me just in case I have to beat the crap out of it.

Why take a golf club when you can just kick him in the nuts like you did to William the other night?

I haven't seen Roscoe, how big is he? I think a coyote will turn and run away from you, I have chased them down the street in my neighborhood, they used to come off the hill and kill cats at night.

rivergames
10-30-2013, 10:25 AM
I would really like to have a pet yote

Wendi
10-30-2013, 10:27 AM
Why take a golf club when you can just kick him in the nuts like you did to William the other night?

I haven't seen Roscoe, how big is he? I think a coyote will turn and run away from you, I have chased them down the street in my neighborhood, they used to come off the hill and kill cats at night.

Roscoe http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/31/ja4ameva.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/31/5yjese6u.jpg

HB Vic
10-30-2013, 10:31 AM
Did that Coyote have a familiar face on it?? LOL

Wendi
10-30-2013, 10:34 AM
Did that Coyote have a familiar face on it?? LOL I wasn't that close, but it did resemble Homer Simpson.

H2oSki2Fast
10-30-2013, 10:45 AM
They won't bother you or your dog. They prey on small animals such as wabbits, cats....

Wendi
10-30-2013, 10:46 AM
They won't bother you or your dog. They prey on small animals such as wabbits, cats.... Yeah so does Roscoe, but he can never catch them.... He's too slow.

Ziggy
10-30-2013, 11:51 AM
They will watch you just the same as you watch them, making sure that you don't attack them.
I've been within 15 feet of one with my shepard sized dog on leash.
Just be glad you aren't a roadrunner.;)

From my POS T-mobile thingie

WESTERNAERO
10-30-2013, 12:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU4d-EmM08w

They attack more than small animals, FYI
One on one, yes small animals.
They are pack animals they attack large animals too.

Eli
10-30-2013, 01:29 PM
I had them where I use to live and I could hear them and then there was a screaming animal, followed by silence! I'm scared of them too...I'd kick one in the nuts and run if it tried to attack me. I'd probably go back for more nut kicking later but you get the point.

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Eli
10-30-2013, 01:31 PM
Carry Pepper Spray Wendi.!!

You're like MacGyver with that pepper spray ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Wendi
10-30-2013, 01:36 PM
I had them where I use to live and I could hear them and then there was a screaming animal, followed by silence! I'm scared of them too...I'd kick one in the nuts and run if it tried to attack me. I'd probably go back for more nut kicking later but you get the point.

Sent from my Bat Cave...
I we hear them all the time during the kill.....

Eli
10-30-2013, 01:37 PM
I we hear them all the time during the kill.....

Are you telling us something?? I or We?

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Wendi
10-30-2013, 01:37 PM
They attack more than small animals, FYI
One on one, yes small animals.
They are pack animals they attack large animals too. Thanks for the visual poor deer, I started to cry.

Wendi
10-30-2013, 01:38 PM
Are you telling us something?? I or We?

Sent from my Bat Cave... Well let's see I am typing but was thinking we (as in me and WMC) LOL

Eli
10-30-2013, 01:38 PM
Well let's see I am typing but was thinking we (as in me and WMC) LOL

Sure ...that's how it all starts ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave...

gn7
10-30-2013, 01:54 PM
[QUOTE=WESTERNAERO;47886]How to handle coyotes 101, class dismissed.
More than one way.
They need to learn to look both ways before crossing the race track.
http://www.tonyrogers.com/humor/images/nascar/dead_coyote1_large.jpg

Wendi
10-30-2013, 02:15 PM
OMG I'm scarred for life, GN7 yucky!

riverrunner1984
10-30-2013, 03:25 PM
More than one way.
http://www.tonyrogers.com/humor/images/nascar/dead_coyote1_large.jpg

That is kind of a cool pic lol....Does that make me a sick fock? lol

Wheeler
10-30-2013, 08:04 PM
Question: If that happened close up do you think coyote would attack because of Roscoe being there? I've run into coyotes before but I wasn't walking my dog and we just ignore each other and go on our way.

How large is your dog?

My girlfriend had a kat taken while it was at her feet and this was in the front yard in Yorba Linda. If your dog is over 25 pounds I would say no but if the yotes can break your dog away from you, the pack might.

Wheeler
10-30-2013, 08:19 PM

That dog looks calm, did you take a class with Cesar?

We don't bother whispering sweet nothings into there ears here in Arizona. :violent-smiley-044:

WESTERNAERO
10-30-2013, 08:25 PM
That dog looks calm, did you take a class with Cesar?

We don't bother whispering sweet nothings into there ears here in Arizona. :violent-smiley-044:

Is that the arrow head exiting next to its eye. Looks like it traveled the length of it's body and exited it head.

Wheeler
10-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Is that the arrow head exiting next to its eye. Looks like it traveled the length of it's body and exited it head.

In his back side and out the top of the head.23543

GRADS
10-30-2013, 08:53 PM

That is just sad.:cry: This thread should have a warning.

Edit: Oh fuck, it got worse..... Hotboat put a warning on this thread!

Eli
10-30-2013, 08:56 PM
More than one way.
]

Seriously? I'm gonna have nightmares tonight! Thanks a lot :(

Why kill them? Can't you guys just kick them in the nuts?

Sent from my Bat Cave...

WESTERNAERO
10-30-2013, 09:07 PM
In his back side and out the top of the head.23543

Nice shot!

gn7
10-30-2013, 10:01 PM
[QUOTE=gn7;47986]

Seriously? I'm gonna have nightmares tonight! Thanks a lot :(

Sent from my Bat Cave...

News flash Eli, the worst evilest, sneakiest ones don't have nuts. Just like all the rest of the animal kingdom.

SBS933
10-31-2013, 06:32 AM
I have a lot of them were I live. I think the only time you need to fear them if its more than one or it be rabbid. They will try to trick a lone dog out and then the pack will kill it. I like your idea of beating the crap out of it though!:LMAOsmiley: So true, I hear them calling out dogs all the time. The part I don't like is when a dog darts out in front of my truck on the dirt road with a coyote in tow, this happened again last Friday. Nothing I could do, and you can guess who won that battle.

SBS933
10-31-2013, 06:36 AM
I have a lot of them were I live. I think the only time you need to fear them if its more than one or it be rabbid. They will try to trick a lone dog out and then the pack will kill it. I like your idea of beating the crap out of it though!:LMAOsmiley:So, true. I hear them calling out the dogs all the time. The part I don't like is when a dog darts out in front of my truck on the dirt road with a coyote in tow. This just happened again last Friday. I bet you can guess who won that battle.

Wheeler
10-31-2013, 06:54 AM
[QUOTE=gn7;47986]

Not if it's a bitch. :wink_002:

Seriously, at the ranch I try to make sure the yotes have water at all times as I want them around for critter control. In town where they become a nuisance it becomes necessary to thin their population.

Eli
10-31-2013, 06:58 AM
[QUOTE=Eli;48222]

Not if it's a bitch. :wink_002:

Seriously, at the ranch I try to make sure the yotes have water at all times as I want them around for critter control. In town where they become a nuisance it becomes necessary to thin their population.

Where do you live...in a Western Movie? In town? At the Ranch? :)

I have the following references on the street, in the parking lot and on the freeway. :(

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Wheeler
10-31-2013, 07:04 AM
[QUOTE=Wheeler;48294]

Where do you live...in a Western Movie? In town? At the Ranch? :)

I have the following references on the street, in the parking lot and on the freeway. :(

In a box down by the river.

riverrunner1984
10-31-2013, 07:15 AM
I pulled out of my community at about 4am this morning and there was a Coyote crossing foothill going to the other side of the riverbed.
The ones I see locally always seem to be by themselves. Wonder if the pack is near by.

rschap1
10-31-2013, 10:42 AM
That was a big buck in that video
I would have thought he could have protected himself
:(

WESTERNAERO
10-31-2013, 10:46 AM
That was a big buck in that video
I would have thought he could have protected himself
:(

Happens every day, or night.

Tishimself
10-31-2013, 12:16 PM
I only read the first and last pages. As a rule, coyotes don't bother us. A couger, that's a different thread...you need to watch your pet's, as I believe others have alluded to beforehand....cats are a nice Scooby snack...and they will take a dog if they can get that kind of luck. I have hit a couple with my train, I don't mind at all. In Ca. they are varmints, you can kill as many as you can shoot, and I believe there is still a reward for doing so....

RVR SWPR
10-31-2013, 01:39 PM
About 30 min.ago in front of house.Coyotes stalk the young ones and sometimes they nail one.

SBS933
10-31-2013, 01:46 PM
That just wasn't complete, without the donkey shit !!!

Eli
10-31-2013, 02:02 PM
I pulled out of my community

Is that what the kids are refer to it these days?

Sent from my Bat Cave...

WESTERNAERO
10-31-2013, 02:10 PM
Is that what the kids are refer to it these days?

Sent from my Bat Cave...
Only yours. :lmao

Eli
10-31-2013, 02:18 PM
Only yours. :lmao

I don't have kids

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Old Texan
11-01-2013, 02:55 PM
If you have burros or donkeys, you won't have coyotes.....Burros will stomp them to death.

Please don't feel bad for coyotes, they are menace towards young and small wild animals and small domestic animals.

Stainless
11-01-2013, 03:00 PM
If you have burros or donkeys, you won't have coyotes.....Burros will stomp them to death.

Please don't feel bad for coyotes, they are menace towards young and small wild animals and small domestic animals.
Hello OT. (Stainless)

Wendi
11-13-2013, 12:00 PM
So yesterday I went back to the stairs and thought I heard a coyote growl. I've decided to stop that route for a whilte. Scared me but didn't come out of the den. I grabbed Roscoe and we ran up the hill...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqVE9qfg7yI

riverrunner1984
11-13-2013, 12:15 PM
On Monday, Kim and I took the dog for a walk at about 5:15am and saw 3 coyotes run across the street about 50 yards ahead of us. Luckily they did not see us. We turned around and went the other way. I was carrying my golf club with me just in case.
Seems like I am seeing them a lot more lately.

rschap1
11-13-2013, 12:33 PM
Small town near me had a sighting of a coyote walking around the streets and sidewalks while kids were waiting for their morning school bus p/u.
Some genius gets quoted in the news, "I am sure it was harmless"
SURE...