PDA

View Full Version : Camera Lens Advice

Eli
10-28-2013, 04:09 PM
I had another "I Love Lucy" moment and I'm hoping it's not gonna cost me $650 to replace.

In my excitement during the weekend, yesterday I accidentally dropped my new camera lens in the sink and by the time I got it out it was very, very clean :(

I was able to get a good amount of the water out, but now my lens has some very not so pretty spots. Any suggestions on how I can clean the inside of the lens or a place to take it would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Bat Cave...

WESTERNAERO
10-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Windex :biggrin:

ChumpChange
10-28-2013, 04:15 PM
Plenty of local camera places that can take care of this for a nominal fee. Sammy's Camera is a decent sized store that might have a location around you. Not sure if Powell Camera would have a location down there....

HB Vic
10-28-2013, 04:16 PM
I would take it to a camera shop pronto. They're gonna have to take it apart, dry it, and clean it. But the longer you wait, the worse the damage will be. Yikes!

Eli
10-28-2013, 04:17 PM
I would take it to a camera shop pronto. They're gonna have to take it apart, dry it, and clean it. But the longer you wait, the worse the damage will be. Yikes!

Oh shoot!!! I didn't want to hear that at all!

Sent from my Bat Cave...

GotHalos
10-28-2013, 04:22 PM
Put it in a bag of rice in the meantime.

ChumpChange
10-28-2013, 04:24 PM

It's Eli....you have to be more specific.

Put it in a bag of dry rice. Do NOT steam it, fry it, or cook it before. :D

GotHalos
10-28-2013, 04:25 PM

LOL, oops!

Eli

I called a camera repair ship the tech said no rice. He wants it while it's still wet. It's almost dry.

Sent from my Bat Cave...

HB Vic
I'm not gonna even ask why you had the lens only over the sink. Ok, I will ask. Why did you have only the lens over the sink? :D

HB Vic
10-28-2013, 04:26 PM

Add a little cinnamon and make Cannon Rice Pudding?

ChumpChange
10-28-2013, 04:27 PM
I called a camera repair ship the tech said no rice. He wants it while it's still wet. It's almost dry.

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Quick! Put it back in the sink!

ChumpChange
10-28-2013, 04:29 PM
I'm not gonna even ask why you had the lens only over the sink. Ok, I will ask. Why did you have only the lens over the sink? :D

I missed the sink part and went straight to thinking she had it in the shower! :(

WESTERNAERO
10-28-2013, 04:31 PM
the tech said He wants it while it's still wet

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Of coarse he does. :wink2:

BrenMoto
10-28-2013, 04:43 PM
Luv rice pudding.. Yum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Eli
10-28-2013, 04:48 PM

Isn't that Grad's question?

I have my camera and my lenses in a backpack. One compartment is only camera equipment and one is everything else. Apparently, I didn't zip the camera compartment all the way and I swung the bag around off my shoulder and it fell into the sink.

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Eli
10-28-2013, 04:54 PM
I missed the sink part and went straight to thinking she had it in the shower! :(

Do you have access to my surveillance cameras or something?

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Eli
10-28-2013, 04:56 PM
I'm here at the camera shop...the only guy who can work on it doesn't get back until 6am tomorrow. Ugh! I'm not looking forward to the estimate! :(

Hotboat if you want me to fly you from Phoenix to Havasu this weekend I can have Mario Andretti Eli work something out. I flew to the camera shop in 15 min ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Napanutt
10-28-2013, 05:27 PM

That's hilarious. It'd be even funnier if she was blond though. ;)

Paul65K
10-28-2013, 05:36 PM
That's hilarious. It'd be even funnier if she was blond though. ;)My guess is she has been at least once in her life :D

Eli
10-28-2013, 05:39 PM
My guess is she has been at least once in her life :D

Or twice ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave...

gn7
10-28-2013, 05:40 PM

Didn't we just go over about asking questions like this. Did you ever think that maybe she keeps it in the "top" drawer and grabbed it in the dark by mistake? Now you see why it might have needed a trip to the sink? Can't very well take the lens to the camera store like that!!!

EDIT: Wait, that can't it. Eli would have just come out and told us if that was the reason.

OK Eli, why was the lens over the sink, but no camera?

ChumpChange
10-28-2013, 05:52 PM
Do you have access to my surveillance cameras or something?

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Ask 2ff

Eli
10-28-2013, 06:26 PM
Didn't we just go over about asking questions like this. Did you ever think that maybe she keeps it in the "top" drawer and grabbed it in the dark by mistake? Now you see why it might have needed a trip to the sink? Can't very well take the lens to the camera store like that!!!

EDIT: Wait, that can't it. Eli would have just come out and told us if that was the reason.

OK Eli, why was the lens over the sink, but no camera?

Is top drawer like Top Shelf?

I don't just have 1 lens. There are 4 lenses with different functions and sizes. Two of them are actually useless.

Sent from my Bat Cave...

ChumpChange
10-28-2013, 06:30 PM
Camera's???? Why carry a camera when we have our iphones?:wink: It's less work and one less thing too hold?:wink:

Zoom, Shutter Speed. Try snappin a good pic at a NHRA event. But you knew that so I quoted you.

Eli
10-28-2013, 06:31 PM
Camera's???? Why carry a camera when we have our iphones?:wink: It's less work and one less thing too hold?:wink:

Cameras are awesome! Actually, you may not know this but I'm neurotic and take pics with both my iphone and camera. That way I can post like Eli Witness News...up to the minute updates.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/29/yjy2y5uz.jpg

Sent from my Bat Cave...

314joey
10-28-2013, 06:33 PM
You should be on the other side of it, you don't need a camera.

HB Vic
10-28-2013, 06:34 PM
I'm here at the camera shop...the only guy who can work on it doesn't get back until 6am tomorrow. Ugh! I'm not looking forward to the estimate! :(

Hotboat if you want me to fly you from Phoenix to Havasu this weekend I can have Mario Andretti Eli work something out. I flew to the camera shop in 15 min ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Ouch. Which lens was it?

Eli
10-28-2013, 06:36 PM
Ouch. Which lens was it?

This one. I don't own all three cameras...just the pretty one :) the lens was a birthday present and about $600 pre tax and shipping :(

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/29/uba2asep.jpg

Sent from my Bat Cave...

ChumpChange
10-28-2013, 06:36 PM
Has anybody ever told you what a nice large lense you have?

Eli
10-28-2013, 06:43 PM
You should be on the other side of it, you don't need a camera.

:omg:

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Eli
10-29-2013, 10:42 AM
I just called the camera repair shop and I have bad news...the repair guy said its beyond economic repair...they are going to try another technician. I'm so flipping mad at myself!!!

obnoxious001
10-29-2013, 11:32 AM
I just called the camera repair shop and I have bad news...the repair guy said its beyond economic repair...they are going to try another technician. I'm so flipping mad at myself!!!

That's sad, would your homeowners insurance cover it?

Eli
10-29-2013, 11:34 AM

That's a good question...I'll call

Sent from my Bat Cave...

314joey
10-29-2013, 11:36 AM
The deductable will probably be close to the cost of the lens

Eli
10-29-2013, 12:01 PM

My deductible is $250. I filed a claim and now I have to wait for the claims adjuster to call me and let me know if it's covered. Cross your fingers please!!!

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Eli
10-29-2013, 12:02 PM

Great idea!!!

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Eli
10-29-2013, 12:29 PM
They said it's not covered! I'm so pissed!

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Eli
10-30-2013, 12:45 PM
I was able to get an estimate for the repair. $135. Phew that's not as bad as my deductible or replacement. And I cried for nothing!

I hope they can actually fix it and don't change their mind when the get the lens :)

Sent from my Bat Cave...

HB Vic
10-30-2013, 12:50 PM
Good news 👍

314joey
10-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Sounds like a plan, that's why I have a $200 dollar pocket Canon, I shoot and go, if I drop it, I go buy another, but of course the pics don't look as nice as yours, congrats on the cheap fix.

Eli
10-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Thanks guys!! I'm thrilled!!

Sent from my Bat Cave...

obnoxious001
10-30-2013, 03:22 PM
I was able to get an estimate for the repair. $135. Phew that's not as bad as my deductible or replacement. And I cried for nothing!

I hope they can actually fix it and don't change their mind when the get the lens :)

At this point it's mostly a matter of taking it apart and drying everything I think, but not sure exactly what circuitry and servo motors are in a modern lens vs the old school stuff I have taken apart. Had it sat longer, or been in salt water it might be a different story.

Eli
12-23-2013, 07:57 PM
I finally got my lens back from the repair shop! My birthday present is now a Christmas present too! I love regifting to myself!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/24/5yrygaha.jpg

Sent from my Bat Cave

SnoC653
12-23-2013, 08:44 PM
I finally got my lens back from the repair shop! My birthday present is now a Christmas present too! I love regifting to myself!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/24/5yrygaha.jpg

Sent from my Bat Cave

You're supposed to take pictures with the lens, not of the lens.

Make sure you do auto focus at different distances to ensure it is working properly. I personally think you should have opted for the 7D setup on the right side of the picture you posted. But that lens could send the weak of heart to an early grave when they see the price.

Glad you got it back in time for the holidays.

Eli
12-23-2013, 08:49 PM
You're supposed to take pictures with the lens, not of the lens.

Make sure you do auto focus at different distances to ensure it is working properly. I personally think you should have opted for the 7D setup on the right side of the picture you posted. But that lens could send the weak of heart to an early grave when they see the price.

Glad you got it back in time for the holidays.

I know...pics with the camera. A friend sent me a ton of great picture taking info that I have saved for when I get my lens back. Yay! Maybe Christmas Day I'll head to the bay and take some pics.

I'll try it at different distances. I have 4 lenses. I only use 2. But, my camera is an Olympus Pen 2 so it doesn't come with too many lens options. Besides, this is big enough ;)

Thank you!
Sent from my Bat Cave