PDA

View Full Version : Would you spend twelve bucks

HB Vic
10-21-2013, 09:48 AM
To find out if someone died in your house?

It's not the $12 that bothers me, it's the what if someone did. Now what?

Our house isn't that old, but the "joke" is it's a little haunted. I seriously doubt anyone died there, we're the second owners and the fam that sold is young.

I got a spam this morning from diedinhouse.com. First thing I thought was how morbid. Second thing was, that's fuckin genius.

Twelve bucks an inquiry, 1000 inquiries a month. That's unlimited boating trips and spending money galore :D.

So I'm thinking of a new real estate agency. Someonediedhere.com Realty. And I know where to go to get a list of customers :D

Wendi
10-21-2013, 09:53 AM
No because I live in the house that we built!!! I bet your house is haunted, that would explain alot. Spend the money:skull:....

riverrunner1984
10-21-2013, 09:55 AM
When you buy a house, from what I understand, that is something that has to be disclosed.
I made to sure ask when I bought my house...
Genius idea though!!!

78Southwind
10-21-2013, 11:23 AM
When you buy a house, from what I understand, that is something that has to be disclosed.
I made to sure ask when I bought my house...
Genius idea though!!!

This is true...we went to look at a house back in 2002 that someone died in (actually double homicide and suicide) and they had to tell us about it before they showed it to us. The crazy thing is that I knew of them in High School and didn't realize who it was until after I talked to the real estate agent. Very sad...

riverrunner1984
10-21-2013, 11:34 AM
This is true...we went to look at a house back in 2002 that someone died in (actually double homicide and suicide) and they had to tell us about it before they showed it to us. The crazy thing is that I knew of them in High School and didn't realize who it was until after I talked to the real estate agent. Very sad...

So did you buy the house or was that a breaking point for you?
It would be a breaking point for me. I believe in the paranormal...

HB Vic
10-21-2013, 11:35 AM
I'm pretty sure not all deaths have to be disclosed. A murder sure, but if Uncle Elmo quietly passed away in the house, I think not.

ChumpChange
10-21-2013, 11:39 AM
I'm pretty sure not all deaths have to be disclosed. A murder sure, but if Uncle Elmo quietly passed away in the house, I think not.

We were always afraid to rent our Havasu house out to snow birds in case they died.

78Southwind
10-21-2013, 11:42 AM

That's not what i was told. Maybe we have a Real Estate Agent that wants to take this one.

HB Vic
10-21-2013, 11:48 AM
We were always afraid to rent our Havasu house out to snow birds in case they died.

Just make sure they put the corpse in the car before they call the coroner :D

Menace Marine
10-21-2013, 12:46 PM

Looked at a house about 15 years ago with my parents. Old lady died in her sleep there. There had been another owner since her but realitor still said she had to disclose it. Not sure on the law just my experience.

Menace Marine
10-21-2013, 12:47 PM
And I'm sure every state is different.

Cigalert
10-21-2013, 12:50 PM
And I'm sure every state is different.

I thought dead was dead?

HB Vic
10-21-2013, 12:58 PM
I thought dead was dead?

Some states consider being dead a state of mind, take California for example :D

gn7
10-21-2013, 01:17 PM
Great law. You have to disclose that someone may have died in their sleep in the house, but not if it was used to cook meth, was used as a distribution center, or a was used as a whore house, just so long as nobody died.

Eli
10-21-2013, 01:30 PM
Great law. You have to disclose that someone may have died in their sleep in the house, but not if it was used to cook meth, was used as a distribution center, or a was used as a whore house, just so long as nobody died.

One man's whore house is another man's castle :yikes:

Eli
10-21-2013, 01:32 PM
Under California Civil Code Section 1710.2, if someone dies on the property, it's a material defect – but only if the death occurred within three years of the date you make an offer to purchase or rent the home. Technically, if the property was the location of a mass murder in 1975, the seller, lessor, agent or broker does not legally have to volunteer the information.

However, if the seller or their agent knows of a death that occurred prior to the three years, and you/buyer asks they must disclose. If you don't ask...they don't have to tell you, if it has been longer than 3 years.

riverrunner1984
10-21-2013, 01:47 PM
That kind of makes sense.

RVR SWPR
10-21-2013, 02:02 PM
Suicides and murders can be as bad as it gets.Came across a garage suicide years ago,guy at least went out and bought a sheet of ply wood to sit in front of when he blew his brains out,Friggen mess.

78Southwind
10-21-2013, 02:10 PM
So did you buy the house or was that a breaking point for you?
It would be a breaking point for me. I believe in the paranormal...

I didn't really like the house but if I did like it, I think it would have been a deal breaker. It was a very said story and made the paper, I just didn't realize at the time who it was and that it was that house.

chevellesb406
10-21-2013, 02:14 PM
I believe Eli is spot on on this. I just closed escrow a couple months ago and its amazing what has to be dislcosed and what doesn't. IE my place in Brea is within 30 miles of something that used to be a military armory, and 3 times on 3 separate docs did I have to acknowledge, and agree, that I do not have the right to farm on my property, and that I will agree not to. Kind of funny doing that for a condo, but the law is the law I guess. Now when I asked, farming and growing some vegetables and such for your own consumption are too different things so any closet hippie can relax.

gn7
10-21-2013, 02:53 PM
One man's whore house is another man's castle :yikes:

I guess that would depend on of the girls were still reporting for work there, or if they just left behind a bunch if used well starched sheets. :schreck:

Eli
10-21-2013, 02:55 PM
I guess that would depend on of the girls were still reporting for work there, or if they just left behind a bunch if used well starched sheets. :schreck:

Oh...it's not starch

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Eli
10-21-2013, 02:57 PM
I believe Eli is spot on on this. I just closed escrow a couple months ago and its amazing what has to be dislcosed and what doesn't. IE my place in Brea is within 30 miles of something that used to be a military armory, and 3 times on 3 separate docs did I have to acknowledge, and agree, that I do not have the right to farm on my property, and that I will agree not to. Kind of funny doing that for a condo, but the law is the law I guess. Now when I asked, farming and growing some vegetables and such for your own consumption are too different things so any closet hippie can relax.

Farm in your condo? It's a zoo in my place with all the crazy people I live with but how do you farm?

Sent from my Bat Cave...

chevellesb406
10-21-2013, 02:58 PM
Farm in your condo? It's a zoo in my place with all the crazy people I live with but how do you farm?

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Dunno, but they wanted me in triple redundancy to acknowledge I will not attempt it :) And this is to satisfy escrow, not HOA.

ChumpChange
10-21-2013, 03:07 PM

Sent from my Bat Cave...

I think the only farming that he can do consists of putting sunshades over all the windows and rewiring the condo for more electricity usage.

gn7
10-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Oh...it's not starch

Sent from my Bat Cave...

Its not hair gel either!
http://www.elementsofstyleblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/theres-something-about-mary-cameron-diaz-hair.jpg

gn7
10-21-2013, 03:11 PM
I think the only farming that he can do consists of putting sunshades over all the windows and rewiring the condo for more electricity usage.

I believe that falls under the term "cultivation" and indoor potted plants. So that's acceptable.

Eli
10-21-2013, 03:11 PM
Its not hair gel either!
http://www.elementsofstyleblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/theres-something-about-mary-cameron-diaz-hair.jpg

That's gross...if she eats her hair is it considered...oh never mind :D

Sent from my Bat Cave...

niceguyeddie
10-21-2013, 04:35 PM
Sometimes it smells like someone died in my bathroom.

Singleton
10-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Back in 2010 when we were looking at houses, 3 of them all had someone pass away peacefully.
One place my wife really liked, but I could not get over the fact the lady passed away in what would be our master bedroom.

Stainless
10-21-2013, 07:14 PM
It wouldn't bother me, after all we eat in restaurants, sleep in hotels, party in bars that people have died in.

CH3NO2

SBS933
10-21-2013, 07:16 PM
I heard about this service, I believe it has to be disclosed if someone was murdered but not die. Sell by owner buyer beware. But i'm just a dipshit.

HB Vic
10-21-2013, 07:22 PM
It wouldn't bother me, after all we eat in restaurants, sleep in hotels, party in bars that people have died in.

CH3NO2

Whoa that's bizarre :D

riverrunner1984
10-21-2013, 07:26 PM
Back in 2010 when we were looking at houses, 3 of them all had someone pass away peacefully.
One place my wife really liked, but I could not get over the fact the lady passed away in what would be our master bedroom.

I am with 100% on this.

GRADS
10-21-2013, 07:26 PM

Where are you hanging out at?:headscratch:

Stainless
10-21-2013, 07:37 PM
Where are you hanging out at?:headscratch:

Well, there not serving good wine. :D

CH3NO2

HB Vic
10-21-2013, 07:53 PM
I heard about this service, I believe it has to be disclosed if someone was murdered but not die. Sell by owner buyer beware. But i'm just a dipshit.

Pretty sure most of the time death is declared at the coroner or hospital. So even if they're technically toast at the house, death probably will not be declared until then. So I wonder how this service is of any benefit? Unless they have someone who works there who is currently in purgatory? :D

SBS933
10-21-2013, 07:56 PM
Pretty sure most of the time death is declared at the coroner or hospital. So even if they're technically toast at the house, death probably will not be declared until then. So I wonder how this service is of any benefit? Unless they have someone who works there who is currently in purgatory? :D YEP, I wouldn't spend $12.00 on it

ChumpChange
10-21-2013, 09:05 PM
YEP, I wouldn't spend $12.00 on it

Wow. Somebody directly answered a thread question. First time for everything!

Eli
10-21-2013, 09:13 PM
YEP, I wouldn't spend $12.00 on it

It was a rhetorical question ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave...