PDA

View Full Version : Engine Choices- Another ?

GotHalos
10-18-2013, 10:48 AM
I'm still on the lookout for a ride, and I have been running into a wide variety of boats with a number of different motors. I am far from an expert and hoping you guys could help educate me a little more. I know there are some pro's vs. cons, because of the availability of parts, price etc. but beyond that I'm pretty clueless. Any and all help is appreciated. Thoughts, negative and positive on the following packages? I'm not looking to go 100mph, mainly want something that is going to be reliable and fairly easy to work on. Which ones are immediate red flags?

1. Ford 460

2. 455 Olds

3. xxx Chevy (or any other Chevy)

4. xxx Chrysler

5. xxx Pontiac

WESTERNAERO
10-18-2013, 12:25 PM
CHEVY.
Not bashing the non-chevy guys so settle down. But you just can't argue with the economical factor of chevy based parts.

Menace Marine
10-18-2013, 01:01 PM
CHEVY.
Not bashing the non-chevy guys so settle down. But you just can't argue with the economical factor of chevy based parts.

Agreed. I had a ford 460 in my miller. It ran great. Never any problems. But I alway new that IF I broke it, it would cost twice as much as a Chevy to build it. The other brands are even worse.
I want to build a bad ass 455 olds to go spank on the Chevy guys. It can be done and nothing would hurt their pride more than loosing to an olds. However it isn't easy and it isn't cheap. In stock trim the olds is arguably the worst motor for any boat.
Let the brand bashing games begin.

FormulaZR
10-18-2013, 01:36 PM
FWIW - the Olds & Pontiac can get expensive quickly.

The Chevy and Ford are probably the best bang for the buck - and have the most parts readily/economically available.

78Southwind
10-18-2013, 01:38 PM
1. Ford 460

2. 455 Olds Let's start off with taking this one out of your vocabulary if you're even thinking about going over 4,000 RPM's...

3. xxx Chevy (or any other Chevy)

4. xxx Chrysler

5. xxx Pontiac

78Southwind
10-18-2013, 01:48 PM
I am no engine builder but I did do a little research when I had my engine built. I would start with Chevy and Ford for you research then go from there. I am a Chevy guy but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a boat with a Ford in it.

GotHalos
10-18-2013, 05:21 PM
What year boat are you looking for? I'll keep in eye out for you? Any particular make/size/model?

Nothing in particular, most any little v-drive will do.

Thanks for all the help guys :thumbup:
Will help to refine my search. I don't want to get stuck with something that will eventually break, and be stuck with an even bigger money pit than I will already be getting myself into.

WESTERNAERO
10-18-2013, 05:30 PM
What kind of little v-drive are you thinking about?

GotHalos
10-18-2013, 05:35 PM
What kind of little v-drive are you thinking about?

I'm pretty open to anything as long as it's stout. I thought there would be more for sale at this point in time but I'm having a hard time finding anything. Found a Hondo for around $5000 but couldn't make it up north.

78Southwind
10-18-2013, 06:17 PM
I'm pretty open to anything as long as it's stout. I thought there would be more for sale at this point in time but I'm having a hard time finding anything. Found a Hondo for around $5000 but couldn't make it up north.

So are you looking for a flatty or a cruiser? I see good deals on Spectra 20's once in a while.

GotHalos
10-18-2013, 06:28 PM
So are you looking for a flatty or a cruiser? I see good deals on Spectra 20's once in a while.

Leaning toward a flat.

rioracr
10-20-2013, 01:16 PM
I would say Chevy cause most everyone you know has Chevy parts readily avalible and a wholelot cheaper to buy parts if needed...:wink2:

Wheeler
10-20-2013, 06:41 PM
Nothing in particular, most any little v-drive will do.

Thanks for all the help guys :thumbup:
Will help to refine my search. I don't want to get stuck with something that will eventually break, and be stuck with an even bigger money pit than I will already be getting myself into.

You best go buy a new Lexus if you're not looking for a money pit.

I have this '63 Mandella sitting around taking up space, Ford powered to boot! 22613

HB Vic
10-20-2013, 06:56 PM

I have this '63 Mandella sitting around taking up space, Ford powered to boot! 22613

Ford 👍

Wheeler
10-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Yep, it's got a Ford!

GotHalos
10-20-2013, 07:54 PM

What's the taking up space price?

gn7
10-20-2013, 11:10 PM
If you are looking at a flat, you really only have 2 choices. If its a earlier retro flat like Wheeler's Mandella above, then it can be a Ford FE (390/406/427/428) or it can have been updated to a later BB Chevy. Or a newer flat with a BB Chevy.
You CAN have a newer Ford 429/460, but they aren't the most popular V drive engine, and not very common. Much more common is jets. They are actually very decent engines, but you have to know them. They aren't the iron ball the Chevy is without some modifications.
Pontiacs will usually only show up in either a unmolested Stevens OR something done by somebody using what ever was laying around. A unmolested Pontiac Stevens is VERY cool, but any other boat with a Pontiac....RUN FORREST RUN,

FORGET THE OLDS ENTIRELY! Erase the idea from your head and never admit you even considered it. They SUCK as a low RPM jet boat engine, and have business what so ever in a V drive...PERIOD. Unless of course you are talking a Pro Stock Olds headed DRCE, but that's another story,

Bottom line: Stick to Ford FEs in ORIGINAL mid to late 60s flats, may be early 70s, or Chevy in anything.

GotHalos
10-21-2013, 02:10 PM
If you are looking at a flat, you really only have 2 choices. If its a earlier retro flat like Wheeler's Mandella above, then it can be a Ford FE (390/406/427/428) or it can have been updated to a later BB Chevy. Or a newer flat with a BB Chevy.
You CAN have a newer Ford 429/460, but they aren't the most popular V drive engine, and not very common. Much more common is jets. They are actually very decent engines, but you have to know them. They aren't the iron ball the Chevy is without some modifications.
Pontiacs will usually only show up in either a unmolested Stevens OR something done by somebody using what ever was laying around. A unmolested Pontiac Stevens is VERY cool, but any other boat with a Pontiac....RUN FORREST RUN,

FORGET THE OLDS ENTIRELY! Erase the idea from your head and never admit you even considered it. They SUCK as a low RPM jet boat engine, and have business what so ever in a V drive...PERIOD. Unless of course you are talking a Pro Stock Olds headed DRCE, but that's another story,

Bottom line: Stick to Ford FEs in ORIGINAL mid to late 60s flats, may be early 70s, or Chevy in anything.

Thanks for the reply gn7 :thumbup: The search continues....

Wheeler
10-21-2013, 02:36 PM
What's the taking up space price?

Did I mention that it's Ford Powered? Not to mention it's a 427 Ford. :wink2:

HB Vic
10-21-2013, 02:48 PM

427's are very hard to come by these days. Almost as hard to come by as Benjamin's :D

wildbill
10-21-2013, 02:52 PM
what price range are you looking at for a flat

GotHalos
10-21-2013, 02:54 PM

I see where this is going. $!$!

gn7
10-21-2013, 02:58 PM

427's are very hard to come by these days. Almost as hard to come by as Benjamin's :D

You'll need more than a couple Grovers to buy one.

Wheeler
A fist full of Beni's will get you something like this to stick on top! :shhh:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-FE-427-HOLMAN-MOODY-DUAL-QUAD-MANIFOLD-AND-AIR-CLEANER-VERY-VERY-RARE-427-/110987661207

wildbill
just checking price range would help to determine what style and type of Ride your interested in or you could afford a Jet boat can't believe I said that

Wheeler
10-21-2013, 03:03 PM
I see where this is going. $!$!

Don't worry, it's not a side oiler. :no:

HB Vic
10-21-2013, 03:06 PM
You'll need more than a couple Grovers to buy one.

Are we talking ounces of grovers or pounds?

gn7
10-21-2013, 04:11 PM
A fist full of Beni's will get you something like this to stick on top! :shhh:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-FE-427-HOLMAN-MOODY-DUAL-QUAD-MANIFOLD-AND-AIR-CLEANER-VERY-VERY-RARE-427-/110987661207

wheeler, long story short, but I bought one at the Pomona swap meet about 15 years ago for 125.00. A guy was haggling to get it him down to 100.00, and while the guys talking I walked up and handed the guy his 125 asking and took the scoop.
Last one I saw on E bay sold for 1400.00.
That one does include the dual quad H&M manifold as well.

Anything else on the boat H&M? Pan, valve covers, timing cover?

Wheeler
10-21-2013, 04:24 PM
wheeler, long story, but I bought one at the Pomona swap meet about 15 years ago for 125.00. A guy was haggling to get it him down to 100.00, and while the guys talking I walked up and handed the guy his 125 asking and took the scoop.
Last one I saw on E bay sold for 1400.00.

Anything else on the boat H&M? Pan, valve covers, timing cover?

Great story Bob, I bet the guy is still pissed off that he missed the scoop! :angry-smiley-018:

The valve covers and timing cover are both Hm, the intake is Ford low riser.

I keep threatening to piece the boat out as there is much more money to be made but I would rather find someone who grew up skiing with this particular model boat and can appreciate it for what it is.

I just got the carbs back this weekend from an overhaul. I just might get it ready for the water next week.

ptc
10-22-2013, 10:32 AM
I still havent seen a Price Range for the "boat of your pleasure"..... Maybe if you give us an idea of the cash you are ready to put out, it will also give you an idea of how much of a project it is going to be, or not.....

Turnkey ready to go "UNMOLESTED" (I like that term) clean flatbottoms with rebuilt low hour (chevy) engines can run from $15-20K

If you are looking to find something in the $5K range then you should also have a bank account backing that up with about $10K saved or a large credit limit.... to make all the repairs and complete all the restoration projects you will be doing on it. just saying....

Bottom line is get a good hull.... (if you go for a project boat) fiber and wood work is THE MOST expensive part of a project. Mechanicals are not too crazy to restore and replace.

THeres alot of nice turnkey boats out there.... for sale.... everything has a price!

GotHalos
10-22-2013, 04:42 PM
I still havent seen a Price Range for the "boat of your pleasure"..... Maybe if you give us an idea of the cash you are ready to put out, it will also give you an idea of how much of a project it is going to be, or not.....

Turnkey ready to go "UNMOLESTED" (I like that term) clean flatbottoms with rebuilt low hour (chevy) engines can run from $15-20K

If you are looking to find something in the $5K range then you should also have a bank account backing that up with about $10K saved or a large credit limit.... to make all the repairs and complete all the restoration projects you will be doing on it. just saying....

Bottom line is get a good hull.... (if you go for a project boat) fiber and wood work is THE MOST expensive part of a project. Mechanicals are not too crazy to restore and replace.

THeres alot of nice turnkey boats out there.... for sale.... everything has a price!

Well shit, I guess I am out of luck. This is around what I was hoping to spend (part of the reason, I'm asking these questions). I'd rather learn before I go and buy a money pit (Yes, I know all boats are money pits). After all that is why I am asking for opinions, you guys have been there before, I haven't. I came across this for $5,000 :http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/4073407655.html

Maybe a dumb question but is something like that not even worth buying or? I appreciate everyone's input so far, like I said I'd rather keep saving and buy something I can keep for a long time, as I intend to do.

At this point I'm not looking to go 100 mph or even be the best looking boat on the water. I don't mind working on something, as I know I will have to, regardless of how much I spend. Just looking to get out on the water and possibly explore new waterways. What it's all about right?

I'm also not in a hurry to buy, so I don't have a problem with waiting for the 'right' deal.

WESTERNAERO
10-22-2013, 05:00 PM
I remember seeing another listing for that same boat somewhere. If I remember right it's not a flat bottom, it has the pantara bottom ( I think it called that). I believe those hulls were supposed to be jets, although I have a friend that has one set up with an O/B. Plus that boat doesn't have a BBC.

Wheeler
10-22-2013, 05:43 PM
Well shit, I guess I am out of luck. This is around what I was hoping to spend (part of the reason, I'm asking these questions). I'd rather learn before I go and buy a money pit (Yes, I know all boats are money pits). After all that is why I am asking for opinions, you guys have been there before, I haven't.

I'm also not in a hurry to buy, so I don't have a problem with waiting for the 'right' deal.

The price for the Mandella is 7500.00. This boat might not be for you unless you want an old school project with a Ford.

Check with Mouser, he's up on boats and can most likely find you what you desire.

Good luck with the search! :action-smiley-035:

78Southwind
10-22-2013, 06:40 PM
Well shit, I guess I am out of luck. This is around what I was hoping to spend (part of the reason, I'm asking these questions). I'd rather learn before I go and buy a money pit (Yes, I know all boats are money pits). After all that is why I am asking for opinions, you guys have been there before, I haven't. I came across this for $5,000 :http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/4073407655.html

Maybe a dumb question but is something like that not even worth buying or? I appreciate everyone's input so far, like I said I'd rather keep saving and buy something I can keep for a long time, as I intend to do.

At this point I'm not looking to go 100 mph or even be the best looking boat on the water. I don't mind working on something, as I know I will have to, regardless of how much I spend. Just looking to get out on the water and possibly explore new waterways. What it's all about right?

I like the old school ski carrier...

ptc
10-22-2013, 07:49 PM
Anything in that price range just BUYER BEWARE.... check it out very thoroughly especially the hull, thats the most costly and time consuming to do repairs on. If its mechanicals other than a complete motor than thats just maintenance really. If they have no idea about what the engine is or was or built like.... RUN FORREST RUN!!!!! She's gonna blow! ask me how I know this!

Heres a real deal and ready to do everything you need....

http://www.performanceboats.com/boats-sale/185633-1976-sanger-runner-bottom-one-kind-very-fast.html

HotWater
10-22-2013, 09:13 PM

Don't get discouraged. 5k can get you a boat that will enable you to have a lot of fun in and you will be able to work on it as needed. That boat you posted a link to looks like a nice old ski boat. It would be smart to take someone who is familiar with older v drives with you when you check one out.

HotWater
10-22-2013, 09:40 PM
I remember seeing another listing for that same boat somewhere. If I remember right it's not a flat bottom, it has the pantara bottom ( I think it called that). I believe those hulls were supposed to be jets, although I have a friend that has one set up with an O/B. Plus that boat doesn't have a BBC.

The first v drive I bought was a 77 Centurion with a Pantera bottom. The Pantera bottom makes a great lake boat because it handles rough water better than a flat bottom and it doesn't take any skill to drive them. It had a stock Harmon Marine 460 Ford and would run 70 mph. I paid $2500 bucks for that boat, drug it home and detailed it, spent another $500 on it fixing little things. Thrashed many a jet boat with that thing and then sold it a couple of years later for $3500. That's how you have fun with a boat!

GotHalos
10-22-2013, 10:35 PM

Any idea what engine it has? I'm almost positive it sold, but I could be wrong.

Don't get discouraged. 5k can get you a boat that will enable you to have a lot of fun in and you will be able to work on it as needed. That boat you posted a link to looks like a nice old ski boat. It would be smart to take someone who is familiar with older v drives with you when you check one out.

Thanks :thumbup: I've seen some good deals out there but they sell in a matter of days. Hoping I'm in the right place at the right time sooner than later.

The first v drive I bought was a 77 Centurion with a Pantera bottom. The Pantera bottom makes a great lake boat because it handles rough water better than a flat bottom and it doesn't take any skill to drive them. It had a stock Harmon Marine 460 Ford and would run 70 mph. I paid $2500 bucks for that boat, drug it home and detailed it, spent another $500 on it fixing little things. Thrashed many a jet boat with that thing and then sold it a couple of years later for $3500. That's how you have fun with a boat!

That's how you do it!

WESTERNAERO
10-23-2013, 08:38 AM
All I was saying is, that's not not a flat bottom. I assumed you were looking for a flat bottom.
It looks like a BBF to me.

HB Vic
10-23-2013, 08:50 AM
The price for the Mandella is 7500.00. This boat might not be for you unless you want an old school project with a Ford.

Check with Mouser, he's up on boats and can most likely find you what you desire.

Good luck with the search! :action-smiley-035:

Wheeler whats the status of your boat? Engine running? drivable? trailer good to go? Does a favorable sale come with unlimited backseat flights of the Parker and surrounding areas? Assuming body mass does not exceed fuel requirements? :D

78Southwind
10-23-2013, 09:11 AM
08VMax v-drive (http://v-driveboat.dyndns.org:8080/showthread.php?4010-Is-my-Hondo-a-GN) has one you may want to ask him about his.

Here's another one v-drive (http://www.performanceboats.com/v-drives/41750-brendella-what-do-you-think.html)

Wheeler
10-23-2013, 09:57 AM
Wheeler whats the status of your boat? Engine running? drivable? trailer good to go? Does a favorable sale come with unlimited backseat flights of the Parker and surrounding areas? Assuming body mass does not exceed fuel requirements? :D

First let me say this, I believe that he would be better off with a Chevy powered boat.

I tried to take it out last year but it wouldn't idle so I put it away. I sent the carbs back with Denny Valdez a couple of weeks ago for an overhaul and picked 'em up this past Saturday. I have not had the time to reinstall them and I have no reason to believe that it will not run when I do so.

The trailer has been sitting for a while, I would not hesitate to take it to town for fuel but would not take it back to Ca. without new tires and the wheel bearings being serviced.

The boat is old school without adjustable plates, needs a paint job or a complete restoration. The boat does not appear to have any delimitation or stringer rot and should be fine to drive for years to come, just not pretty.

If you are looking for an old Mandella ski boat this might be the boat for you, if this were a long deck Mandella I would most likely keep it.

I believe your son would have more fun in a Schiada flat, just be sure to get him a pair of velcro gloves. :wink:

Ps: I'll look for more pix.

GotHalos
10-24-2013, 12:27 PM
All I was saying is, that's not not a flat bottom. I assumed you were looking for a flat bottom.
It looks like a BBF to me.

I don't think I'm opposed to a semi-vee, or what would something like that be called?

Should ride a little better in the rough?

WESTERNAERO
10-24-2013, 01:09 PM
[QUOTE=GotHalos;45503]I don't think I'm opposed to a semi-vee, or what would something like that be called?

Should ride a little better in the rough?[/QUOTE

It will ride better in the rough, yes. But, I've heard that the pantera bottom with a v-drive can get a little squirrely above 70'ish. I have no proof of this, just saying what I've heard. If you look at the 2 boats 78SW posted you can see how narrow the plates are. With the prop under the boat and a narrow base to ride on it sure looks like it might start to chine bad. Could end up being a wild ride.

gn7
10-24-2013, 01:17 PM
I don't think I'm opposed to a semi-vee, or what would something like that be called?

It will ride a little better than a flat, and it will be considerably slower. The hull is really a jet hull rigged as a V drive. Not the best bottom design for a V drive, even as a shallow V. V bottoms designed to be V drives tend to ride better, turn better and are a little faster than jet hulls rigged as V drives. V bottoms designed to be v drives are also considerably more money than v drive rigged jet hulls because they do work better.

GotHalos
10-24-2013, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE=GotHalos;45503]I don't think I'm opposed to a semi-vee, or what would something like that be called?

Should ride a little better in the rough?[/QUOTE

It will ride better in the rough, yes. But, I've heard that the pantera bottom with a v-drive can get a little squirrely above 70'ish. I have no proof of this, just saying what I've heard. If you look at the 2 boats 78SW posted you can see how narrow the plates are. With the prop under the boat and a narrow base to ride on it sure looks like it might start to chine bad. Could end up being a wild ride.

It will ride a little better than a flat, and it will be considerably slower. The hull is really a jet hull rigged as a V drive. Not the best bottom design for a V drive, even as a shallow V. V bottoms designed to be V drives tend to ride better, turn better and are a little faster than jet hulls rigged as V drives. V bottoms designed to be v drives are also considerably more money than v drive rigged jet hulls because they do work better.

Good info. thanks guys. :thumbup:

gn7
10-24-2013, 01:21 PM
It gets squirrely because its actually all wrong for high speeds. V drives don't tend to work well with pad bottoms, and the strakes go all the way to the transom. Neither work well with added lift from a prop. The faster you go, the more power you put to it, the more the ass lifts.
Plus like you said, if and when the boat falls off the pad, it will turn into a chine walker, but with the plates only in the center, its pretty difficult to get the hull to stay on the pad.

78Southwind
10-24-2013, 01:24 PM

You should put up a list of all the things you want to do with your boat and where you want to use your boat. We can then guide you to the hull, engine and drive that would fit those things best. Members that have owned those types of boats could give you the pros and cons of each boat.

Though I have done it, Laughlin is probably not the best place to take my old Hallett 23' V-Drive since it so shallow there. Again though I have done it, Havasu is probably not the best place to take my Southwind 18' Jet because it's an ocean out there. I have toured my Sea Doo from McIntyre Park to Fishers which is over 65 miles. It is probably the most bitchen trip I have made and it was on a Sea Doo. The funny thing is I hate Sea Doo's because most of the drivers our idiots and have never owned a boat so they have no clue what they are doing. However, I would have never made it with the V-Drive or even the Jet. You get my drift.

When we were bring company I would take out the V-Drive because it had a lot of room and the ride was better. My jet was faster so when I wanted to do a couple hot laps I would take out the Jet. It all what is important to you.

GotHalos
10-24-2013, 01:25 PM
That boat looks almost identical to the one 78 posted.

http://images.craigslist.org/00m0m_kVmb1sAMCdF_600x450.jpg

WESTERNAERO
10-24-2013, 01:33 PM

So you went and looked at it?

78Southwind
10-24-2013, 01:33 PM

It's the same type of hull. Read the links I posted (V-drive).

GotHalos
10-24-2013, 01:40 PM
It's the same type of hull. Read the links I posted (V-drive).
I read up on it, got some good info. thanks.

So you went and looked at it?

No, I just found that picture on CraigsList.

WESTERNAERO
10-24-2013, 02:27 PM
If you really like the look of the T-deck, Cole and CanAm? also made that same hull. Southwind also made a T-deck jet. Just saying, because maybe it's the T-deck look that has you interested in that boat. There's also another one of those for sale in Santa Clarita with a BBC.
There's also the same hull and trailer for sale in Bakersfield. It's setup for a jet and has the berkley intake in it. $700 I think?

Wheeler
10-24-2013, 03:26 PM
got some good info. thanks. .

I would get hold of Cole Wonsley and see if he still has his Schiada flat or maybe start looking for a 20 foot Schiada.

WESTERNAERO
10-24-2013, 03:47 PM
there was a 20" schiada for sale recently in Castaic for descent price. Might still be on craigslist.

WESTERNAERO
10-24-2013, 09:27 PM
How about a 19 Schiada/Howard? shallow V and correct for a V-drive.

GotHalos
10-24-2013, 09:40 PM
If you really like the look of the T-deck, Cole and CanAm? also made that same hull. Southwind also made a T-deck jet. Just saying, because maybe it's the T-deck look that has you interested in that boat. There's also another one of those for sale in Santa Clarita with a BBC.
There's also the same hull and trailer for sale in Bakersfield. It's setup for a jet and has the berkley intake in it. $700 I think?

I'm pretty open ended as far as looks, as long as its not an eye sore.

How about a 19 Schiada/Howard? shallow V and correct for a V-drive.

Just a hull?

WESTERNAERO
10-24-2013, 09:45 PM
I'm pretty open ended as far as looks, as long as its not an eye sore.

Just a hull?
No, I was just saying you might look for one. They're smaller(19'), have a shallow V (7.5 deg?), and have the correct bottom for a V-drive. They are not jet boats set up as a V-drive. Might be something to look for.

GotHalos
10-24-2013, 09:49 PM
No, I was just saying you might look for one. They're smaller(19'), have a shallow V (7.5 deg?), and have the correct bottom for a V-drive. They are not jet boats set up as a V-drive. Might be something to look for.

Oh gotcha, I'm on the lookout :thumbup:

gn7
10-24-2013, 10:56 PM
19 ft Schiada. Not a bad boat with up to about 85 maybe 90mph. Well built and the price for them pretty reasonable for a decent one.
Same boat also made by Howard.
http://www.performanceboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=164209&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1339597644

Wheeler
10-25-2013, 08:15 AM
Join DateDec 2007LocationMTPosts39
http://www.performanceboats.com/images/icons/icon1.png 1970 Rayson Craft 18 LP with FE Engine
Here is my LP Rayson Craft 18 footer. It is an old Circle boat, I can share what I know of its history if desired.
It Has a 390 Block and Heads, A cast 427 Crank and Lemans Rods. I ran it when I picked it up years ago, I pulled the motor, pulled the heads and replaced a leaking gasket with Perma Torque gaskets and installed ARP head studs (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?toolid=10029&campid=CAMPAIGNID&customid=CUSTOMID&catId=6000&type=2&ext=190847912642&item=190847912642) and an aluminum Dual Port Offy manifold. The carb was rebuilt at that time and has not seen fuel. I put a new Mallory Distributor and braided plug wires on it. I have two sets of seats, the Fiberglass buckets have nice new covers and are just resting on the mounts, no holes have been drilled. The larger seats fithttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png (http://www.performanceboats.com/#) snug and would work great if re-covered to match. It has drop thru hardware, Casale V-Drive and Jones Tach. I have a Two Blade Prop that goes with it, Looks like a Carey, it was cleaned up by Ron Hill. It has a very nice Custom Canvas Towinghttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png (http://www.performanceboats.com/#) cover.
The Glass tanks will need to be replaced, I have a nice set of 10 Gallon Imco tanks for $300 if you need them.
I also have a set of FE headers with Super Trapps for $100 if the buyer wants them.
The trailer tows great, I towed it from Oregon to So-Cal and then to Montana, I added the torque thrust wheels, I felt they were a good match to the boat.
I understand that with this boat being in Montana, that it may be off the normal route for many folks, the buyer will have 30 days to arrange for shipping and get the boat picked up. I do travel and may be able to tow this for a fee to your area or a meeting point, please contact me to see if we can work out a delivery plan.

$5000

Wheeler
10-26-2013, 04:48 PM
Ron, here's the Schiada parked at Ryan's house today.2299222993

RyanPartridge
10-26-2013, 09:20 PM
I agree with what Southwind previously mentioned...if you know what kind of boating you're looking to do it'll be easier to narrow down what you should be looking for.

Where will you be boating?
Are you a weekend boater? Are you going to want to launch your boat on a holiday weekend?
Are you gonna want to be able to take a bunch of friends with you?
How fast are you gonna be happy with?
Will you be doing regular boat maintenance/fixes yourself or will you be taking it to a boat mechanic?

In my opinion, this stuff should determine which direction you go in when buying any boat...but it also can help figure out which hull/style/setup will work best for you with a v-drive.

Mitch
10-27-2013, 08:08 AM
Details Ryan ....

Wheeler
10-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Details Ryan ....

I think I'll drive over and see what the boat looks like up close. :thumb:

GotHalos
10-27-2013, 10:12 PM
I agree with what Southwind previously mentioned...if you know what kind of boating you're looking to do it'll be easier to narrow down what you should be looking for.

Where will you be boating?
Are you a weekend boater? Are you going to want to launch your boat on a holiday weekend?
Are you gonna want to be able to take a bunch of friends with you?
How fast are you gonna be happy with?
Will you be doing regular boat maintenance/fixes yourself or will you be taking it to a boat mechanic?

In my opinion, this stuff should determine which direction you go in when buying any boat...but it also can help figure out which hull/style/setup will work best for you with a v-drive.

Mainly Parker area, but would like to make some trips up north.

Yes, will mainly be a weekend type deal, and I would have no problem leaving it on the trailer during "rush hour" conditions. I also wouldn't have a problem scratching my "itch" at 6 a.m.

I would prefer something that can seat 4 uncomfortably or comfortably.

How fast I want to go is still up in the air. I'm not afraid to admit I have zero seat time behind the wheel of a v-drive, ski boats don't count here lol. Really, the only thing I can say about this is, I don't really want something that is going to top out around 40 mph.

I would like to do most of the maintenance myself.

Another question I have is, what are your guys' thoughts on fixed cav. plates vs. adjustable? Is a boat going to ride harsh with a fixed plate?

Edit: thank you for chiming in BTW. :thumbup:

gn7
10-27-2013, 11:16 PM
Don't even remotely consider not having a cock pit adjustable cav plate. You really need a pedal override, but an adjustable as the absolute minimum.

RyanPartridge
10-28-2013, 08:58 AM
Details Ryan ....

Is this Joe M.?

I just found the boat in Lomita Pines, poor thing was sitting out in the sun for some time. Fortunately the original gel can be saved, cap rail will need to be redone. It's yellow with root beer brown metal flake checkers, some interesting hardware, I haven't begun to really track the history on it yet but I have some leads...

Mainly Parker area, but would like to make some trips up north.

Yes, will mainly be a weekend type deal, and I would have no problem leaving it on the trailer during "rush hour" conditions. I also wouldn't have a problem scratching my "itch" at 6 a.m.

I would prefer something that can seat 4 uncomfortably or comfortably.

How fast I want to go is still up in the air. I'm not afraid to admit I have zero seat time behind the wheel of a v-drive, ski boats don't count here lol. Really, the only thing I can say about this is, I don't really want something that is going to top out around 40 mph.

I would like to do most of the maintenance myself.

Another question I have is, what are your guys' thoughts on fixed cav. plates vs. adjustable? Is a boat going to ride harsh with a fixed plate?

Edit: thank you for chiming in BTW. :thumbup:

In my opinion only, you'd be happy down the road if you found a cool semi V bottom boat. You'll be able to fit a couple extra seats in, it'll handle rougher water better on weekends, you'll spend more of your weekend out on the boat. It'll be much more fun, trust me.

I'm a Parker guy myself...and with a flatty I tend to look at the river like an older, seasoned longboard surfer looks at the ocean...you avoid the weekends and the weekend crowds because they're not your kind. You plan your river time/boating around the days that nobody but the locals are in Parker so that you have the river all to yourself. Doing this allows you to use your boat all day without over populated/crowded conditions so that you get the full FUN potential out of your old style classic flatty. I do everything in my boat that everyone else does...just not on Friday-Sunday durning peak Summer season. I pull skiers, tubers, cruise up and down the Strip and float all day...just not when most everyone else does it. The old flats can be like time machines that take you back to another era, it's an older style of river boating. It never really died, it just got moved to Monday thru Thursday for the lucky few and full time locals.

Again, this is just me and my take on it all. Everyone has their own style that suits their own personality. I know guys with flats that twice a year launch their boats, leave the tailer on the ramp, make 6 passes and put em right back on the trailer. Not my style, just another type of flat bottom boating.

If you're a young guy with buddies, a girlfriend/wife that enjoys weekends on the water, then I'll always recommend a v-bottom boat with some extra seating so that you get more enjoyment out of your boat and more time out on the water. There's plenty of cool semi or deep V classic v-drive boats out there that work perfect for all conditions on the Parker Strip.

GotHalos
10-28-2013, 10:05 PM
This makes a lot of sense thank you :thumbup:

I too, would like to use the boat as much as possible.

Cole Trickle
10-29-2013, 09:41 AM
I would take you're 5k and go to Vegas for a weekend of fun...lol

I think it will be a better investment :D:eek:

Nothing cheap about a v drive. If you want a fun toy why not try and find a clean 20 spectra in a jet. Find a guy that dumped 20k into it and steal it for 7k.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Sharp shooter
10-29-2013, 10:58 AM
This makes a lot of sense thank you :thumbup:

I too, would like to use the boat as much as possible.

Ryan Partridge is correct on all points and his insight is spot on. :thumbup:

Given what you've already stated, I think you'd have the most fun with an old wood decker. Sometimes they can be found in the 5g neighborhood. Dependability with a boat like this is no different than any other boat. If it's built, set up, tuned and maintained correctly it will be reliable.

My suggestion is to have a splash guard and a bilge pump and use common sense regarding boat wakes. These oldies are a ton of fun and make great ski boats.

I like wheelers boat too. The old fords are sweet!

Here's a few examples of what I'm talking about. :)

GotHalos
10-29-2013, 01:18 PM
I would take you're 5k and go to Vegas for a weekend of fun...lol

I think it will be a better investment :D:eek:

Nothing cheap about a v drive. If you want a fun toy why not try and find a clean 20 spectra in a jet. Find a guy that dumped 20k into it and steal it for 7k.

Iv'e tried that with a much smaller bankroll and it's all good till your'e halfway home and realize how much you actually lost. :schreck:

GotHalos
10-29-2013, 01:19 PM
Ryan Partridge is correct on all points and his insight is spot on. :thumbup:

Given what you've already stated, I think you'd have the most fun with an old wood decker. Sometimes they can be found in the 5g neighborhood. Dependability with a boat like this is no different than any other boat. If it's built, set up, tuned and maintained correctly it will be reliable.

My suggestion is to have a splash guard and a bilge pump and use common sense regarding boat wakes. These oldies are a ton of fun and make great ski boats.

I like wheelers boat too. The old fords are sweet!

Here's a few examples of what I'm talking about. :)

Would love to own something like any of those 3 someday. :)

78Southwind
10-29-2013, 04:28 PM
If you want a fun toy why not try and find a clean 20 spectra in a jet. Find a guy that dumped 20k into it and steal it for 7k.

I was going to say this earlier...but I didn't want to piss everyone off by saying the J word in the V-Drive section. :) I can't believe the prices I have seen the Spectra's selling for...

WESTERNAERO
10-29-2013, 04:33 PM
This one is for sale on PB, just dropped the price to 6500 today.

Wheeler
10-29-2013, 05:26 PM

Even in today's world, I'm not sure that his parents would approve. :D

78Southwind
10-29-2013, 09:21 PM

Here you go GH...

From Sanger Kid on PB
The motor is a big block Chevy 454 and has Torker intake manifold, 750 cfm carburetor, v drive oil pan, Rewarder headers that have water to them with a shut off valve. I am not sure what is in the motor itself as far as pistons rods ect. I've never had a problem with the engine so I have never messed with it. The v-drive is a casale split case with what I believe are 18 gears.

WESTERNAERO
10-30-2013, 08:52 AM
Here you go GH...

From Sanger Kid on PB
The motor is a big block Chevy 454 and has Torker intake manifold, 750 cfm carburetor, v drive oil pan, Rewarder headers that have water to them with a shut off valve. I am not sure what is in the motor itself as far as pistons rods ect. I've never had a problem with the engine so I have never messed with it. The v-drive is a casale split case with what I believe are 18 gears.

Is that your boat?

HB Vic
10-30-2013, 09:09 AM

Lol this is all him. He's asked me a few questions here and there. He's been around boats since he was 2, so I'm sure he has a good idea of what he wants. But that little ride in K043 really messed with his E ticket speed button :D

78Southwind
10-30-2013, 09:32 AM
Is that your boat?

Nope...

Cole Trickle
10-30-2013, 11:20 AM

wait until he trys to park it in the back yard by the bbq like his KTM:D

GotHalos
10-30-2013, 09:01 PM

It's been on CraigsList for a while now. 3 seater?

WESTERNAERO
10-30-2013, 09:26 PM
It's been on CraigsList for a while now. 3 seater?

I don't know about a 3 seater.

gn7
10-30-2013, 10:18 PM
Now that I think about it, Ted Kolby who owns the GN24 boats, has a 20 Spectra v drive with a 454 and T400 trans he is selling rougly in that price range. maybe 7000/7500. Somewhere in that range. Let me know if you interested at all and I will check on it.

Wheeler
10-31-2013, 07:30 AM
Now that I think about it, Ted Kolby who owns the GN24 boats, has a 20 Spectra v drive with a 454 and T400 trans he is selling rougly in that price range. maybe 7000/7500. Somewhere in that range. Let me know if you interested at all and I will check on it.

Let's see some pictures, I know a couple of people that are looking for a boat.

Did Ted find out who ripped off his trailer?

K-034
10-31-2013, 03:20 PM
Here you go GH...

From Sanger Kid on PB

Thats a hell of a deal

WESTERNAERO
10-31-2013, 03:22 PM
Thats a hell of a deal

That's what I thought too.

gn7
10-31-2013, 08:10 PM
Let's see some pictures, I know a couple of people that are looking for a boat.

Did Ted find out who ripped off his trailer?

The boat is at Joey's as far as a I know. Try calling the shop.
No, they haven't a clue. Who ever it was, they tagged Roger Finney's shop about a week later as well.

obnoxious001
10-31-2013, 09:26 PM
Ron,, just spotted this thread,, try to stick with a Chevy,, and as we had discussed long ago, a flat bottom boat is not the best for weekend use. With the economy still bad, keep your eyes open for a V bottom boat. If you are patient and have money waiting someone will get hungry this winter and sell something too cheap.

78Southwind
10-31-2013, 09:39 PM

I would jump all over this if I didn't already have one. Seems like this could be a good deal...

Cole Trickle
11-01-2013, 01:34 PM
I vote 20-21' vdrive cruiser. I think you would have a blast running the strip with you're friends.

Flattys are for people that just like to buy mothers polish and bench race from the shore....sorry sharpshooter;):D

Hammer
11-01-2013, 01:49 PM
I vote 20-21' vdrive cruiser. I think you would have a blast running the strip with you're friends.

Flattys are for people that just like to buy mothers polish and bench race from the shore....sorry sharpshooter;):D

X1000 unless your dad will let you roll the DCB when the water is rough .... but what fun is having a boat you can't use regularly ?

You are going to be bummed if it's to rough of water conditions to launch a Flatty , the wake board boats with the huge ballasts running Parker aren't going to help your cause either. Once you get your boat, you are going to want to drop it in the water every chance you get.

As Barry said, I'd look for N/A Chevy . Definitely look into the Spectra GN7 is talking about, 7/7500 is good price IMO. Good luck on your search Ron.

HB Vic
11-01-2013, 02:48 PM
X1000 unless your dad will let you roll the DCB when the water is rough .... but what fun is having a boat you can't use regularly ?

You are going to be bummed if it's to rough of water conditions to launch a Flatty , the wake board boats with the huge ballasts running Parker aren't going to help your cause either. Once you get your boat, you are going to want to drop it in the water every chance you get.

As Barry said, I'd look for N/A Chevy . Definitely look into the Spectra GN7 is talking about, 7/7500 is good price IMO. Good luck on your search Ron.

What you talkin bout hammer? Lol

Hammer
11-01-2013, 02:56 PM
What you talkin bout hammer? Lol

Which part ? I thought I'd try to contribute ! :D

Didn't read the whole thread . Looks like Ron is looking for a v-drive ?

Forgive me I'm sober posting, I'm may be a little confused :p

HB Vic
11-01-2013, 03:21 PM

Something about taking the DCB out? Lol. Honestly I would let either of my boys use it. Just don't tell them I said that :D

Wheeler
11-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Something about taking the DCB out? Lol. Honestly I would let either of my boys use it. Just don't tell them I said that :D

Just figured I had better quote this one!:D

Hammer
11-01-2013, 03:55 PM

Just figured I had better quote this one!:D

You're screwed now ! :D

Wheeler
11-01-2013, 03:59 PM
You're screwed now ! :D

How are you doing Mike? I hope all is well with you and your's.

Hammer
11-01-2013, 04:37 PM
How are you doing Mike? I hope all is well with you and your's.

I'm good, everyone's doing well. Thanks !
Moving to Nor Cal for a little bit, not going to see Parker for awhile :( at least it's winter. I guess.

Wheeler
11-01-2013, 04:43 PM
I'm good, everyone's doing well. Thanks !
Moving to Nor Cal for a little bit, not going to see Parker for awhile :( at least it's winter. I guess.

Good to hear that all is well, now go get a job and buy a Boat! :D

Hammer
11-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Good to hear that all is well, now go get a job and buy a Boat! :D

The job is on the table, the boat is close behind . :thumbup:

Wheeler
11-01-2013, 05:03 PM
The job is on the table, the boat is close behind . :thumbup:

You'll have a better time at the river on vacation than you would living here full time, trust me on this one.

It's really hard to beat a 45 day vacation after working hard all month! :thumbup::thumbup:

Hammer
11-01-2013, 06:17 PM
You'll have a better time at the river on vacation than you would living here full time, trust me on this one.

It's really hard to beat a 45 day vacation after working hard all month! :thumbup::thumbup:

I'm sure , I was done with Havasu anyways, wasn't planning on living up here though. Sometimes life throws you a curve ball. Looks like I'll be back in so cal when I'm done with everything here. :thumbup:

See you soon wheeler !

GotHalos
11-01-2013, 08:11 PM
Ron,, just spotted this thread,, try to stick with a Chevy,, and as we had discussed long ago, a flat bottom boat is not the best for weekend use. With the economy still bad, keep your eyes open for a V bottom boat. If you are patient and have money waiting someone will get hungry this winter and sell something too cheap.

Thanks, I figure I've held out this long, I'm going to wait for something I really like before I pull the trigger. When I do make the purchase I would like it to be a boat I can keep forever, I regretted selling my first car, don't want to make the same mistake :smile:

GotHalos
11-01-2013, 08:13 PM

LOL, my kidneys are young. :smile:

Sharp shooter
11-02-2013, 03:18 PM
LOL, my kidneys are young. :smile:

Don't listen to Cold Pickle or plastic hammer, they are fragile little girls that don't know what they're talking about. :yes:

A flat is where it's at! :buddies:

rioracr
11-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Ron, next time to the river as you cross the bridge there is a building on the left, Drag Boats Unlimited, they have a Howard v ddrive and bottom, needs work and some parts but you could make it your own and would be a good rriver boat with whatever power you wanted to run.........

GotHalos
11-14-2013, 06:28 PM

Ron, next time to the river as you cross the bridge there is a building on the left, Drag Boats Unlimited, they have a Howard v ddrive and bottom, needs work and some parts but you could make it your own and would be a good rriver boat with whatever power you wanted to run.........

Will give it a look over Thanksgiving break, thanks. :thumbup:

2manymustangs
11-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Leaning toward a flat.

I may know of a chebby powered Hallet Vdrive cruiser that is going to become available out yonder... I will try to check the status and let U know if U wish...

I personally like the 385 series (429/460) fords as a work horse but finding the parts to bolt one in an UNpowerd hull is going to be a challenge and require some fab work by someone... Ask me how I know...

I would look for the HULL you want, in the CONDITION you are looking for, with the UPDATES/hardware you are comfortable with (Vdrive/prop release/strut/shaft/etc....) and then decide based on that rather than just deciding mainly on the engine...

The early ford FEs are great/stout...

Just finding all of the hardware to bolt in a ford OR do a conversion is a challenge... The chebby parts are everywhere apparently, I know that I have a set not in use and I'm not a chebby guy in the least... :)

Odds are that what you find will be a chebby, and like others have said, thhey are the least expensive so I'm told...

GotHalos
11-21-2013, 08:49 PM
I may know of a chebby powered Hallet Vdrive cruiser that is going to become available out yonder... I will try to check the status and let U know if U wish...

I personally like the 385 series (429/460) fords as a work horse but finding the parts to bolt one in an UNpowerd hull is going to be a challenge and require some fab work by someone... Ask me how I know...

I would look for the HULL you want, in the CONDITION you are looking for, with the UPDATES/hardware you are comfortable with (Vdrive/prop release/strut/shaft/etc....) and then decide based on that rather than just deciding mainly on the engine...

The early ford FEs are great/stout...

Just finding all of the hardware to bolt in a ford OR do a conversion is a challenge... The chebby parts are everywhere apparently, I know that I have a set not in use and I'm not a chebby guy in the least... :)

Odds are that what you find will be a chebby, and like others have said, thhey are the least expensive so I'm told...

Thank you for the info :thumbup:

I'm really not opposed to that idea either, but then again I haven't come across many engines for sale.

It seems like they're aren't a ton of boats on the market right now? :hmmm:

2manymustangs
11-21-2013, 09:44 PM

I'm really not opposed to that idea either, but then again I haven't come across many engines for sale.

I would love to have a flattie but the water around St Louis just isnt right for a hull like that... BIGGGGGG lakes or BIGGGGGG rivers with BIGGGGG waves... I already know that my sanger hydro isnt going to work for me and this boating environment...

gn7
11-22-2013, 12:48 AM

Engines are easy. Specially Chevys
this is a nice boat for the price without the engine. I would not recommend the engine to any one that isn't an engine guy, although it is a COOL piece as it sits. I personally don't think the engine is worth the difference, but there are those that do.
Hate to tell you what 2MM thinks a Boss 429 in a boat would be worth.

For the price of just the boat, this thing is pretty clean.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/boa/4202717560.html

obnoxious001
11-22-2013, 01:38 AM
this is a nice boat for the price without the engine. I would not recommend the engine to any one that isn't an engine guy, although it is a COOL piece as it sits. I personally don't think the engine is worth the difference, but there are those that do.

That's funny, I sent that link to him by pm earlier, but he told me he has already initiated a contact with the guy.

GotHalos
11-22-2013, 07:57 AM

That's funny, I sent that link to him by pm earlier, but he told me he has already initiated a contact with the guy.

Still no reply :(

Which leads me to believe he doesn't really want to separate the two, or someone else is first in line. Talk about a bummer.

Sharp shooter
11-22-2013, 09:01 AM
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/boa/4145024189.html

2manymustangs
11-22-2013, 01:29 PM
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/boa/4145024189.html

Holy Swiss Cheese man... 7 boats for sale from one seller??? :D

MUDDY WATER
11-22-2013, 01:39 PM
Chevy or Ford. If you want to go fast Chevy.

2manymustangs
11-22-2013, 02:03 PM

:monkeypeeCHEBBY

IF I had an original standard bore boss 9 UNmolested I would sell it and build a Kasse boss head 540" engines that I wouldnt be afraid to get wet OR rev the snot out of... AND bank 5-7k... :) maybe...

WESTERNAERO
11-22-2013, 02:05 PM

:monkeypee CHEBBY

And so it begins.. :D

MUDDY WATER
11-22-2013, 02:06 PM
:monkeypee CHEBBY
Ya. It will take a 900 inch ferd to do what a 468 Chevy can do at half the cost.

2manymustangs
11-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Ya. It will take a 900 inch ferd to do what a 468 Chevy can do at half the cost.

Immmmmm kiddddddddding... Nothing wrong with a chebby... :boobeyes:

MUDDY WATER
11-22-2013, 04:30 PM
:action-smiley-069:

2manymustangs
11-22-2013, 04:46 PM
:action-smiley-069:

You're riding bitch BTW... Im driving... :airplane:

MUDDY WATER
11-22-2013, 05:54 PM
You're riding bitch BTW... Im driving... :airplane:
No. I said I would let you drive one of my boats. You told me your experience and I said we would take the pussy boat. :-]

2manymustangs
11-22-2013, 09:35 PM
no. I said i would let you drive one of my boats. You told me your experience and i said we would take the pussy boat. :-]

:)

gn7
11-22-2013, 11:31 PM
There is nothing a BBC ever accomplished that a couple cammers can't equal. Right 2MM?

RPB
11-23-2013, 12:07 AM
There is nothing a BBC ever accomplished that a couple cammers can't equal. Right 2MM?

Hey GN, who is this, whats the boat, year? Cool Pic by the way.

GotHalos
11-24-2013, 12:04 AM
Hey GN, who is this, whats the boat, year? Cool Pic by the way.

Yes, story please? :thumbup:

gn7
11-24-2013, 11:45 PM
I would have thought by now 2MM would have chimed in on this, He is the self proclaimed authority on all things powered by the "wonder motor" 2MM is of the opinion it was one of the great motors of all time, but then he has never spoken with anybody that ever built one.
Just so happens I spoke with the gentleman that worked on the engines in this "engineering marvel" and had nothing good to say about the engines, or the boat.

Its a Unlimited Hydro. As in, it was built to take on the turbo charged Allisons and Rolls Royce Griffons. Although it is said to have qualified at a couple races at 100MPH, there is some controversy as to whether it ever exceeded 80. The 2-3 times I saw the boat, it failed to ever get fully on plane, or blow the tail.
The drivers of this thing in the 5 years it was run reads like the whos who of Unlimiteds.

The boat was called Miss O Neil-Knudson, U14, owned and built by Walt Knudson. It took over 10 years to construct, and ran from 1976 thru '82. The boat still exists somewhere in the Mohave desert sans engines.

Walt Knudson who was a relative of Bunkie Knudson, cousin, nephew, something.
Bunkie Knudson was the first person to ever walk out of one of the big 3 auto makers and go to work for another. He left GM in 68 and went to work for Ford as President of FOMOCO., and shocked the entire automotive industry. Nobody had ever done that before. Bunkie HATED the SOHC, and he assembled the team that created the Boss series of engines for Ford. He back doored a couple of the SOHCs to Walt in 1968 to use in the boat, as much as anything, to clear out the inventory of the POS. As far as he was concerned, Ford was done the damn things.

Anyway, the boat looks cool, but it was a major loser on the water. Like I said, there is nothing 1 Chevy ever accomplished that 2 Fords couldn't equal. RIGHT 2MM?

http://www.vintagehydroplanes.com/story_history/U-14/u14_1.jpg
http://www.vintagehydroplanes.com/story_history/U-14/u14.jpg

2manymustangs
11-25-2013, 08:48 AM
ANY issue/weakness that a FE wedge head engine had (block weakness/oiling issues)would only be multiplied/magnified with the unleashed power of the SOHC... FE wasn't a perfect engine, BUT what engine was??? The CHEBBY 409???

The SOHC was successful within the engineering limits of the blocks/cranks that were available and yes, I have discussed this with three guys that were successful with the SOHC in the race world... One setting a world record in the Nostalgia super stock circuit... ALL were N/A engines with no power adders and were running on race gas... NOT nitro...

gn7
11-25-2013, 08:28 PM
ANY issue/weakness that a FE wedge head engine had (block weakness/oiling issues)would only be multiplied/magnified with the unleashed power of the SOHC... FE wasn't a perfect engine, BUT what engine was??? The CHEBBY 409???

The SOHC was successful within the engineering limits of the blocks/cranks that were available and yes, I have discussed this with three guys that were successful with the SOHC in the race world... One setting a world record in the Nostalgia super stock circuit... ALL were N/A engines with no power adders and were running on race gas... NOT nitro...

What "unleashed power" are you talking about?? The damn things NEEDED nitro to get them out of their own way.

2manymustangs
11-27-2013, 11:57 AM
What "unleashed power" are you talking about?? The damn things NEEDED nitro to get them out of their own way.

Yup, that is exactly why Ed Pink liked and ran them AND why the NASCAR sanctioning body NIXED them...

I talked to Riley Singley yesterday in person (392 fuel engine builder) and he said that the salvage yards were full of the blocks/cranks and they were strong... He said THAT is why they ran them due to his team budget THEN he reminded me how much Kalitta liked the 427 SOHC engine...

IF the FACTORY block was weak with the SOCH @ 1600+ HP in the mid 60's, the block was also weak with the wedge heads at lower HP numbers...

Sharp shooter
11-27-2013, 02:26 PM
I would have thought by now 2MM would have chimed in on this, He is the self proclaimed authority on all things powered by the "wonder motor" 2MM is of the opinion it was one of the great motors of all time, but then he has never spoken with anybody that ever built one.
Just so happens I spoke with the gentleman that worked on the engines in this "engineering marvel" and had nothing good to say about the engines, or the boat.

Its a Unlimited Hydro. As in, it was built to take on the turbo charged Allisons and Rolls Royce Griffons. Although it is said to have qualified at a couple races at 100MPH, there is some controversy as to whether it ever exceeded 80. The 2-3 times I saw the boat, it failed to ever get fully on plane, or blow the tail.
The drivers of this thing in the 5 years it was run reads like the whos who of Unlimiteds.

The boat was called Miss O Neil-Knudson, U14, owned and built by Walt Knudson. It took over 10 years to construct, and ran from 1976 thru '82. The boat still exists somewhere in the Mohave desert sans engines.

Walt Knudson who was a relative of Bunkie Knudson, cousin, nephew, something.
Bunkie Knudson was the first person to ever walk out of one of the big 3 auto makers and go to work for another. He left GM in 68 and went to work for Ford as President of FOMOCO., and shocked the entire automotive industry. Nobody had ever done that before. Bunkie HATED the SOHC, and he assembled the team that created the Boss series of engines for Ford. He back doored a couple of the SOHCs to Walt in 1968 to use in the boat, as much as anything, to clear out the inventory of the POS. As far as he was concerned, Ford was done the damn things.

Anyway, the boat looks cool, but it was a major loser on the water. Like I said, there is nothing 1 Chevy ever accomplished that 2 Fords couldn't equal. RIGHT 2MM?

http://www.vintagehydroplanes.com/story_history/U-14/u14_1.jpg
http://www.vintagehydroplanes.com/story_history/U-14/u14.jpg

This chevy ran 73mph through he kilos at Parker, but that's not to say "all" chevy's are slow. Just sayin. :)

http://www.v-drivevideo.net/pictures/albums/userpics/circle_boats_003.jpg

gn7
11-27-2013, 03:03 PM
Yup, that is exactly why Ed Pink liked and ran them AND why the NASCAR sanctioning body NIXED them...

I talked to Riley Singley yesterday in person (392 fuel engine builder) and he said that the salvage yards were full of the blocks/cranks and they were strong... He said THAT is why they ran them due to his team budget THEN he reminded me how much Kalitta liked the 427 SOHC engine...

IF the FACTORY block was weak with the SOCH @ 1600+ HP in the mid 60's, the block was also weak with the wedge heads at lower HP numbers...

Makes one wonder, If it was such a fabulous engine as you claim, why they aren't still running them. They ran 392 originally because it was THE ONLY game in town, and they were cheap and plentiful. When they ran out of them, COPIED THEM IN AMLUMINUM, and they moved on to the 426 Hemi. When the supply of them dried up, THEY COPIED THEM as well.
WHY DIDN'T ANYBODY THINK OF MAKING ALUMINUM COPIES of the Ford SOHC. I give you a hint 2MM........THEY DIDN'T WORK!!!!! Nobody as foolish enough to copy it and believe they could sell them. Dove and Robert Pond both sell aftermarket SOHC heads ands a blocks. Why aren't any of the top fuel guys running them?

Lot of engines make great gasoline engines, but complete POS as nitro deals. The BBC is a perfect example. They gave it their all in the mid 60s to make the BBC 2 work in nitro classes. There 3 times the Chevy nitro cars in the 60s as there were Fords, and they did win a few. But in the end, when the power started to escalate, those poor Chevy guys had to make the move.

I don't know what drugs you are taking, or what shrooms your eating, but you can't show me anything that says Ed Pink even remotely liked that engine.
But I do remember linking you to a interview with Pink where he stated they were complete POS.

But just to really drive the point home, Mr Paul Grichar crewed and drove the Miss O Neal-Knudson, We had a nice little talk about the SOHC on the way to Parker yesterday. He called the engine a few things that make POS seem tame. He had some very descriptive words for the dung heap. None of them are postable.

2manymustangs
11-27-2013, 03:54 PM
Makes one wonder, If it was such a fabulous engine as you claim, why they aren't still running them. They ran 392 originally because it was THE ONLY game in town, and they were cheap and plentiful. When they ran out of them, COPIED THEM IN AMLUMINUM, and they moved on to the 426 Hemi. When the supply of them dried up, THEY COPIED THEM as well.
WHY DIDN'T ANYBODY THINK OF MAKING ALUMINUM COPIES of the Ford SOHC. I give you a hint 2MM........THEY DIDN'T WORK!!!!! Nobody as foolish enough to copy it and believe they could sell them. Dove and Robert Pond both sell aftermarket SOHC heads ands a blocks. Why aren't any of the top fuel guys running them?

Lot of engines make great gasoline engines, but complete POS as nitro deals. The BBC is a perfect example. They gave it their all in the mid 60s to make the BBC 2 work in nitro classes. There 3 times the Chevy nitro cars in the 60s as there were Fords, and they did win a few. But in the end, when the power started to escalate, those poor Chevy guys had to make the move.

I don't know what drugs you are taking, or what shrooms your eating, but you can't show me anything that says Ed Pink even remotely liked that engine.
But I do remember linking you to a interview with Pink where he stated they were complete POS.

But just to really drive the point home, Mr Paul Grichar crewed and drove the Miss O Neal-Knudson, We had a nice little talk about the SOHC on the way to Parker yesterday. He called the engine a few things that make POS seem tame. He had some very descriptive words for the dung heap. None of them are postable.

IF they were a POS as a SOHC they were the same or worse with wedge heads... INCLUDING MR and HR 427 heads...

As stated before, my world and my idea of success doesn't revolve around FUEL engines... But I can appreciate that some folks worlds DO... :)

P.S. Im still waiting for you to detail the areas of failures in the engine... Oiling??? Split blocks???

“The biggest problem was the cylinder block. It was maybe designed for a maximum of 750 horsepower,” explains Pink. “In those days we were doing 2,500 horsepower. The block was the weakest link. The task we had was to make it through four rounds of qualifying and four rounds of elimination without coming apart."

“Once we got the engine developed, it could beat the Hemi. But it was a difficult engine to work on,” adds Pink. “Being overhead cam, it wasn’t easy to repair between rounds. If you burned a piston at the track, you had to have another engine to put in the car or you went home.”

Sincerely Ed Pink....... :)

Happy Thanksgiving Day Bob... I'm thankful for your friendship and our many discussions over the years... Please say hello to the tall blonde at the Cantina at the Blue Water for me, you will know her when you see her... ;)