PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning Everyone.......It's Thirsty Thursday

Paul65K
10-17-2013, 04:59 AM
Good morning Everyone!!!

Woo Hoo the weekend's almost here......let's all have a drink to celebrate :thumb:

Singleton
10-17-2013, 05:02 AM
You all have good day. Time to eat dinner then sleep and wake up and enjoy my last Friday in Tokyo.

ChumpChange
10-17-2013, 05:34 AM
Another busy day if appointments.

Stainless
10-17-2013, 05:36 AM
Good morning...nice pic Paul!

CH3NO2

28eliminator
10-17-2013, 05:37 AM
Good morning everyone!!

Got notified last night that I don't have to appear for depo's today.. Woo Hoo!!! I hate that shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Stainless
10-17-2013, 05:43 AM
Brrr...
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/17/emezaba2.jpg

CH3NO2

Paul65K
10-17-2013, 05:45 AM
Brrr...
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/17/emezaba2.jpg

CH3NO2

Looks like Summer is definitely NOT over for you ........where are you BTW??

Stainless
10-17-2013, 05:49 AM
Looks like Summer is definitely NOT over for you ........where are you BTW??

That's between Tucson and Nogales.
Ironically it's colder here this morning than Chicago and Indy

CH3NO2

314joey
10-17-2013, 05:59 AM
Good morning everyone!!

Got notified last night that I don't have to appear for depo's today.. Woo Hoo!!! I hate that shit.
]

I hate those too, go give a depot or go to the dentist.........................go to dentist.

Paul65K
10-17-2013, 06:02 AM
I hate those too, go give a depot or go to the dentist.........................go to dentist.
Over the years I got used to Depos.........I came to understand that most (not all) attorneys are "Jackwagons" and I usually have more knowledge of the given subject matter then they do......on the other hand I love to give one word answers....it really pissed them off :rolleyes

Those days are over for me.....damn I miss the "Good old days" :D

Tishimself
10-17-2013, 06:28 AM
Good morning all......yawn....I am off today..having a cup of coffee, and relaxing.

314joey
10-17-2013, 06:31 AM
Over the years I got used to Depos.........I came to understand that most (not all) attorneys are "Jackwagons" and I usually have more knowledge of the given subject matter then they do......on the other hand I love to give one word answers....it really pissed them off :rolleyes

Those days are over for me.....damn I miss the "Good old days" :D

My Daughter is a attorney so I have to love her, lol...........I used to deal wit lots of attorney for work, they're no different than anyone else, there's great one's, good one's and chitty one's.

And, yea, I miss the good ol' days too.

Eli
10-17-2013, 07:02 AM
Good morning everyone!

I love taking depositions! They are super fun! Specially when you have a deponent that likes to give 1 word answers. In fact, I was taking a SDPD officer's depo once and he was brilliant at 1 word replies. He was being very difficult and 30 minutes into a his deposition we were barely at his employment information. I really didn't want to spend 11 more hours with him.

So, I asked the court reporter to go off the record...I informed the deponent that I'm fully aware of his tactics...I told him my billable hour rate...I reminded him I get paid by the hour...I asked him how much he was getting paid to sit there and give his deposition, (unrelated to his job so $0) then I said, "I'm pretty quick I can get this done in 2 hours ...I will get my answers the easy way or the slow way...how long do you want to sit here?" He laughed and said "okay you got me". The rest of the deposition was a breeze and super fun!

He was suing my client so...I had to depose him ;)

Paul65K
10-17-2013, 07:06 AM
Good morning everyone!

I love taking depositions! They are super fun! Specially when you have a deponent that likes to give 1 word answers. In fact, I was taking a SDPD officer's depo once and he was brilliant at 1 word replies. He was being very difficult and 30 minutes into a his deposition we were barely at his employment information. I really didn't want to spend 11 more hours with him.

So, I asked the court reporter to go off the record...I informed the deponent that I'm fully aware of his tactics...I told him my billable hour rate...I reminded him I get paid by the hour...I asked him how much he was getting paid to sit there and give his deposition, (unrelated to his job so $0) then I said, "I'm pretty quick I can get this done in 2 hours ...I will get my answers the easy way or the slow way...how long do you want to sit here?" He laughed and said "okay you got me". The rest of the deposition was a breeze and super fun!

He was suing my client so...I had to depose him ;) Hence my comment about most (not all) Attorneys :D

28eliminator
10-17-2013, 07:11 AM
Good morning everyone!

He was suing my client so...I had to depose him ;)

So you tell your clients that are being deposed to be forthcoming with all information... no one word answers? yeah right :biggrin:

Eli
10-17-2013, 07:21 AM
So you tell your clients that are being deposed to be forthcoming with all information... no one word answers? yeah right :biggrin:

I tell them to answer the question that's being asked. As shocking as it may seem...sometimes we just want the deponent to say "yes" or "no". We don't want a narrative.

Typically, by the time an attorney is taking a deposition they have already done most of the discovery. There is very little new information. I usually just want to get the deponent to say damaging things on the record...I already know the answers bc they responded to written discovery.

For example, I took the depo of the most pompous geologist once. Guy thought he was god...I deposed him for 2 days and got him to admit all the repairs and findings were his "expert" opinion and not any of the other experts...he was elated that some chick finally acknowledged his work...then I disqualified all his findings bc he wasn't a civil engineer...I'm such a Bunch****...I still remember the look on his face when he realized what happened. I knew going in exactly what I was doing...nothing he said surprised me.

If you were my client and I just got you out of paying a minimum of $7million you'd love me too! ;)

Edit: I didn't put the **** behind the word Bunch apparently the C-word is forbidden

Paul65K
10-17-2013, 07:26 AM
Edit: I didn't put the **** behind the word Bunch apparently the C-word is forbidden
Welcome to a "Kinder, Gentler" forum :D

havaduner
10-17-2013, 07:40 AM
Happy Thursday everybody!!!

Wendi
10-17-2013, 09:16 AM
Morning all! Have a wonderful day. Unfortunately I can not partake in Thirsty Thursday as I do not drink alone.

Eli
10-17-2013, 09:19 AM
Morning all! Have a wonderful day. Unfortunately I can not partake in Thirsty Thursday as I do not drink alone.

Wendi that's just a song...you can drink alone it's ok :)

ChumpChange
10-17-2013, 09:44 AM

Wendi that's just a song...you can drink alone it's ok :)

Maybe you two can get a conference call going?

28eliminator
10-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Typically, by the time an attorney is taking a deposition they have already done most of the discovery. There is very little new information. I usually just want to get the deponent to say damaging things on the record...I already know the answers bc they responded to written discovery.

You just confirmed why one word answers would be the only intelligent choice...IMO :action-smiley-069:

Eli
10-17-2013, 10:44 AM
You just confirmed why one word answers would be the only intelligent choice...IMO :action-smiley-069:

I can't tell you how often a "yes" or "no" answer is more damaging vs the narrative where the deponent explains the damaging portion away.

Did you...yes or no ...nailed the MOFO

Did you ...yea but...makes me cringe bc now I have to work them back into a "yes" or "no".

I've taken over 1000 depositions sometimes 2-3 months at a time 2 a day ...day after day. It's a skill...unless your being deposed that often and you know all the theories of the case and all the defendants defenses and have read every piece of evidence, spoken to the experts, sat in every deposition/read the transcript of every deponent before you, went to every hearing, read every motion, researched all the relevant case law your job as the deponent is to provide the answers to the questions you're asked...leave the rest up to the lawyers...they get paid pretty well let them earn their money.

I've had clients who don't answer the question and I want scream ...I had one if he was asked "state your name for the record" he replied "my legal name?" Well thanks for adding 4 questions to our already long day bc you know the attorney is going to ask you questions to figure out WTF you mean lol. He was a run away client and we were all ready kick him.