PDA

View Full Version : So who broke what this summer?

niceguyeddie
10-17-2013, 01:10 AM
Mine wasn't too bad....

Cracked Lightning Header, so I had to buy new ones.
Fuel Pump... Not expensive but the 4 hour tow from The Gorge to the Islander Launch Ramp at night sucked!
Starter
Batteries went to crap so replaced them with 3 new Blue Tops
I've got an oil leak somewhere so I need to have my mechanic pull the engine pretty soon. That probably wont be cheap.

I've had two summers of blown engines, one at the beginning and one towards the end (this one I blew the jet pump too). I call those $20k weekends. :bangmyhead:

So the list above is tough to bitch about. For the better part, my boat ran great all summer. Had about 9-10 weekends of fun on it and to me, that's a great summer! I tell ya what though, this 60mph shit is getting old. haha.... I think I'll get some use out of my 19' next year.

So what did the rest of you break this season?

Singleton
10-17-2013, 01:46 AM
All in all a great summer of boating, only issue I had were the fuel sender unit o-ring breaking apart on both tanks during Desert Storm.
I got that repaired, but all the carpet in the sponsons had to be removed to flush the gas out and off the fiberglass. New carpet will need to be installed this winter and I also have a small oil leak that WOT Marine will have to locate and fix this winter.

314joey
10-17-2013, 05:15 AM
Had to replace the actuator on the sunpad and we lost a water pumrp no big deal though, I had them fixed in a day or two, no down time, just cash.

Paul65K
10-17-2013, 05:19 AM
At the risk of jinxing myself 22385

It's the first summer in a long time that absolutely NOTHING broke :thumb:

28eliminator
10-17-2013, 05:34 AM
Oddly, no mechanical issues at all this year.. 14 trips to the lakes, and all good. I did have to put I/2 quart of oil in about a month ago though :D

Now non-mechanical, different story. I've popped 2 - 12" subs in the last 4 months, and my deck lid has a nice tear in it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Unforgiven
10-17-2013, 06:35 AM
lets see now.did some damage to the clutch cones cramming it into gear at to hi of RPM (replace upper gear set) which is ok..we're still working on a setup that the boat likes. It's time for the SCX upgrade...and except for replacing running lights and brakes on the trailer, it's been fine

Wendi
10-17-2013, 07:01 AM
Axle on trailer and head gasket in boat. It was the first time since 2005 we had to spend money on fixes. Didn't have a boat from Desert storm to July 4th. Dirty Deeds fixed our axle and menace Marine our engine!!

Menace Marine
10-17-2013, 07:20 AM
This summer was good and bad. Only got the boat out like four times which is disappointing. But it didn't break so that's good. After blowing up two drives last year anything would have been an improvement.

Napanutt
10-17-2013, 07:25 AM
I threw a wheel on the trailer because of bearing failure. I was 35-40 miles from home. Luckily I was a couple miles from a friends house so I was able to limp it there until I could get there with parts a couple days later. Relatively easy fix but now I won't take it anywhere until I replace the wheel bearings on the other three axles.

Skav
10-17-2013, 07:48 AM
Flat on the trailer, and the spare was bad. Made it to Baker with a bit of Hill Billy engineering;)http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/17/y4ysy6et.jpg

Lost a bearing in the snout at the Delta! Sucked, but cut the belt and got her back.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/17/ynuvutag.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/17/mezepa4e.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/17/ugaqe8ur.jpg

Paul65K
10-17-2013, 07:55 AM
Oddly, no mechanical issues at all this year.. 14 trips to the lakes, and all good. I did have to put I/2 quart of oil in about a month ago though :D

Now non-mechanical, different story. I've popped 2 - 12" subs in the last 4 months, and my deck lid has a nice tear in it...

I call BS.....what about all those trailer tires???

NRI
10-17-2013, 07:56 AM
After being diagnosed with Stage 4 throat cancer in Oct 2010, the Howard sat for 3 years and fired right up this past Labor Day weekend. NO problems. I`m so blessed! Even the batteries were charged! It was amazing. After Labor Day, I did full maintenance on it: changed the oils, fuel filters, water separaters, oil filters, battery water. Even the water pump was still good but I will have to change it out before next season.

The tires on the trailer were even still full of air.

SBS933
10-17-2013, 07:56 AM
Funny that you started this thread, I was going to start one similar. This Monday I pulled the upholstery out of the boat to get redone. Found a goofy stringer and reglassed it, then replaced a worn alternator belt only to find the bracket cracked. Decided to replace the 6X9s for cosmetic reasons to find my front speakers weren't working, so I replaced the stereo to find out it was actually the amp. I'll replace that tonight. Murphy's Law ? Normal maint. before summer included color sanding the boat, painted and replaced bunks and fender carpet along with new bushings and equalizers on the trailer, and new tires. New red top batteries in the boat and put a different intake on after i crunched the velocity stack.

Wendi
10-17-2013, 08:37 AM
Does breaking body parts count?:biggrin:

HB Vic
10-17-2013, 08:39 AM
Hey now 👊

She's Mine
10-17-2013, 08:45 AM
Well, I don't know if you want to call it a break but....

I sold a perfectly good motor at Desert Storm and bought a long block that same weekend. Decided I wanted more HP. So since May 1st I have been building this motor and every time we think we have her done something else pops up. Right now we have an issue with the EFI wire harness to the blowers. Hopefully this is the last fix of a long list of delays... Needless to say, I borrowed a buddy's boat all summer. Thank God for great friends. But I will never do this again. Especially since we are in the 1050+hp club now. I just hope this motor is as dependable as the last one is.

Unforgiven
10-17-2013, 09:23 AM
Well, I don't know if you want to call it a break but....

I sold a perfectly good motor at Desert Storm and bought a long block that same weekend. Decided I wanted more HP. So since May 1st I have been building this motor and every time we think we have her done something else pops up. Right now we have an issue with the EFI wire harness to the blowers. Hopefully this is the last fix of a long list of delays... Needless to say, I borrowed a buddy's boat all summer. Thank God for great friends. But I will never do this again. Especially since we are in the 1050+hp club now. I just hope this motor is as dependable as the last one is.

who's efi are you using?

She's Mine
10-17-2013, 09:45 AM
who's efi are you using?

Mefi 4b with a MSD ingition

Unforgiven
10-17-2013, 10:06 AM
Mefi 4b with a MSD ingition

I'm running the ROOTZ system...Dustin did my wiring Harness...only issues I'm having now is my air cleaner spacers..but that will get hammered out over the winter..boat is going back to Dustin so we can finish/change a few things..

28eliminator
10-17-2013, 10:08 AM
I call BS.....what about all those trailer tires???

For me, blown trailer tires is a regular expense.. no different than gas for the boat :wink:

She's Mine
10-17-2013, 10:36 AM
I'm running the ROOTZ system...Dustin did my wiring Harness...only issues I'm having now is my air cleaner spacers..but that will get hammered out over the winter..boat is going back to Dustin so we can finish/change a few things..

Yeah Dustin does great work. I talked to him about a custom wiring harness for my boat. The Rootz systems are bad ass, but I wanted something that would fit under the engine hatch plus I got my quad system at a smokin price. So that was another reason I went with the whipples

hbchgirl
10-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Does breaking body parts count?:biggrin:

Fortunately didn't have any of those either... just some gnarly bruises! Just a sign of a good weekend!

Wendi
10-17-2013, 10:56 AM
Fortunately didn't have any of those either... just some gnarly bruises! Just a sign of a good weekend!
I can totally relate to gnarly bruises ugh!!!

Racer J
10-17-2013, 11:26 AM
This year my engine spent more time on the stand then it did in the boat!! Trashed 3 sets of main bearings in a new build before we figured out the guy that balanced the rotating assembly is not very good at math. Lol

78Southwind
10-17-2013, 11:28 AM
The distributor spit one of the bolts that holds down the rotor right out of the cap. There's a hole about an inch by inch square in the cap. I thought to myself wft when I saw the cap then I noticed the bolt and washer laying under the carburetor on the intake. I didn't have time to fix it since I had just washed the boat and we were running late to get home last weekend. Has anyone seen this happen before?

Stainless
10-17-2013, 11:30 AM

:eek:

CH3NO2

Paul65K
10-17-2013, 11:32 AM
For me, blown trailer tires is a regular expense.. no different than gas for the boat :wink:
Noted!!

Music to my Ears
10-17-2013, 11:35 AM
I had to replace a fender on my trailer after my buddy clipped someone parking the trailer. He felt bad and paid for the damage to the truck he clipped and my fender, plus all of the drinks at the Springs that day! So we're still friends :)

niceguyeddie
10-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Oh I almost forgot.. I forgot to remove the trailer e-brake cable from the truck before driving away. I realized this when I got home and saw it hanging from my hitch.

niceguyeddie
10-17-2013, 11:41 AM
Battery cable came loose one day so I literally did a band aid fix on it.

28eliminator
10-17-2013, 11:51 AM
The distributor spit one of the bolts that holds down the rotor right out of the cap. There's a hole about an inch by inch square in the cap. I thought to myself wft when I saw the cap then I noticed the bolt and washer laying under the carburetor on the intake. I didn't have time to fix it since I had just washed the boat and we were running late to get home last weekend. Has anyone seen this happen before?

No.. But Mine did this last year :wtf:

78Southwind
10-17-2013, 12:26 PM
No.. But Mine did this last year :wtf:

x2 WTF

SBS933
10-17-2013, 01:25 PM
Oh I almost forgot.. I forgot to remove the trailer e-brake cable from the truck before driving away. I realized this when I got home and saw it hanging from my hitch. I did that with a gas pump, funny as hell.

niceguyeddie
10-17-2013, 02:41 PM
I did that with a gas pump, funny as hell.

Nice!!!

HB Vic
10-17-2013, 02:49 PM
I don't think I broke anything this season. OMG, I didn't break anything this season. You know what that means don't you??? Ugh.

Unforgiven
10-17-2013, 03:13 PM
I don't think I broke anything this season. OMG, I didn't break anything this season. You know what that means don't you??? Ugh.

you didn't have to spend all your cash..thats means your buying drinks next time...Desert Storm ..you can pick up the drinking tab...

chevellesb406
10-17-2013, 03:57 PM
Let's see, I think I got away pretty light this year with just a fuel pump and a belt. Another plus was fixing a charging system problem so now both batteries and my switch work. Oh, and now the interior has officially gone to crap so its either shell out for that and put lipstick on the pig or finally upgrade to the type of boat I really want.

HB Vic
10-17-2013, 04:03 PM
you didn't have to spend all your cash..thats means your buying drinks next time...Desert Storm ..you can pick up the drinking tab...

I thought I picked up a couple tabs last time?? :drinkin:

Unforgiven
10-18-2013, 12:43 AM
I thought I picked up a couple tabs last time?? :drinkin:

nope..that was the time before that...the fireball tab was all Wendi...it's the Patron tab you get stuck with...don't worry will drink oops I mean work it out..

GRADS
10-18-2013, 01:48 AM
I didn't break a single thing this year!! That's because I have a turn key Shockwave....for sale in the classifieds!