PDA

View Full Version : Computer Speed Test Question

Bobby V
10-14-2013, 06:28 PM
I have Time Warner and am paying $70 a month now. My work gave me a Verizon jet pack for free. I did a speed test and these is what I got,

Time Warner. Ping 15 MS download speed 20.15 mbps upload speed 1.98 mbps

Verizon jet pack. Ping 46 ms download speed 5.74 mbps upload speed 7.68 mbps

Is the difference in these 2 numbers enough for me to get rid of Time Warner and the $70. I only use the computer for e-mails and the internet mostly.

ChumpChange
10-14-2013, 06:36 PM
I have Time Warner and am paying $70 a month now. My work gave me a Verizon jet pack for free. I did a speed test and these is what I got,

Is the difference in these 2 numbers enough for me to get rid of Time Warner and the $70. I only use the computer for e-mails and the internet mostly.

Yes. Unless you're streaming videos, the slow speed should be fine. I got rid of high speed for my use a looooong time ago.

Paul65K
10-14-2013, 07:22 PM
I agree....BTW a couple of years ago those "Slow" numbers would have been "Screaming" for a home user......as said unless you are trying to stream videos you won't even notice the difference.....and even then you still may not!!

Good Luck!

HB Vic
10-14-2013, 07:25 PM
Might check with your employer to see if they have data limits. There are different packages and if you go over, it gets expensive.

ChumpChange
10-14-2013, 07:28 PM
Might check with your employer to see if they have data limits. There are different packages and if you go over, it gets expensive.

Yeah....about that. I found out a previous employer didn't have a texting plan..........

Bobby V
10-14-2013, 07:28 PM

Good point

HB Vic
10-14-2013, 07:31 PM
Yeah....about that. I found out a previous employer didn't have a texting plan..........

I recently was made aware of one of our people's data bill that was in excess of $400. When I asked him about it, he said he was watching TV during breaks, lunch, and whenever time permitted. At least he was honest about it LOL>

ChumpChange
10-14-2013, 07:35 PM
TV.....yeah....that's what he's streaming......:sheep:

HB Vic
10-14-2013, 07:41 PM
TV.....yeah....that's what he's streaming......:sheep:

He's old school, that's what they call it :D

obnoxious001
10-15-2013, 12:50 AM

Note that Time Warner has a variety of speed plans,, down to about $20. I have been doing the research considering finally stepping up from Verizon DSL.

riverrunner1984
10-15-2013, 07:37 AM
Where I live in Rancho, I am stuck with Charter Cable. There is only underground cabling where I live and they have not brought in FIOS to my area even though there is a Verizon Central Office within 1.5 miles of each direction of my house.
I cant stand Charter but am stuck with them and there $60 a month bill.

chevellesb406
10-15-2013, 10:07 AM
I just went through all of this in my new (to me) house. Got verizon DSL because FIOS or UVERSE is not available and I hate the company Time Warner with a passion. The DSL could only come in at 700kbps, unacceptable, couldn't run anything on it, let alone directv on demand. Ended up having to go to the only other game in town which is $60 with Time Warner and pull down a little over 30mbps and can upload close to 2mbps. Their product is fine, I just hate the company, the contract, and the cost. Eventually fiberoptic will be ran in the neighborhood I guess.