PDA

View Full Version : I got hit by an LRAD today.

GRADS
10-13-2013, 06:12 PM
It sucked!....and I got it on video.

Here's some info on what it is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Range_Acoustic_Device

A little back story....Ever since 9/11 happened you have not been able to get too close to Folsom Dam either by water or land because if a terrorist was to blow it up it would literally kill millions of people below it so the government takes it seriously if you get near it.

My brother in law and I decided to paddle board over to Folsom Dam today and ended up getting way too close to the dam. We were way inside the restricted zone when a siren went off and they came on the loud speaker and told us to turn around immediately. My brother in law turned around and bolted out of there.....the dumbass that I am, I paddle a little closer and break out my phone to take some pictures and video. I guess they weren't too happy about that. I start recording the dam and BAM they hit me with the LRAD. I had been hit once before while boating but not nearly as hard and I wasn't this close. It was deafening! It's hard to explain how it feels or sounds but it almost disables you. It was probably the loudest thing I have ever heard and I could feel it throughout my body. Needless to say after that I got the hell out of there.

The video does not really do it justice. The sound didn't really transfer to youtube nor can you hear me moan when it first hits me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXMVWjtslxk

The only picture I was able to snap. You can see the LRAD dish on the top left.

Wendi
10-13-2013, 06:15 PM
Too close they are watching you lol

HB Vic
10-13-2013, 06:22 PM
Well that's pretty rude of them.

Napanutt
10-13-2013, 06:26 PM
We were floating near the dam at Berryessa a few years back. Post 9/11. Floated past the first layer of protection and I'm not lying with in 30 seconds a sheriff boat happened by. Coincidence?

Joker
10-13-2013, 06:43 PM
Sounded loud on the video.

Wheeler
10-13-2013, 06:48 PM
Just gotta find where the limit is, don't ya Grads! :wink2:

HB Vic
10-13-2013, 06:50 PM
What's comes after the LRAD? LOL?

GRADS
10-13-2013, 06:50 PM
Just gotta find where the limit is, don't ya Grads! :wink2:

I think they banned me from the dam today. ;)

Wheeler
10-13-2013, 07:05 PM
I think they banned me from the dam today. ;)

That's funny! thanks for all the laughs Grads!

Eli
10-13-2013, 07:23 PM
The Notorious G-R-A-D-S!

I heard you moan...it was funny ;)

Sent from my Bat Cave

ChumpChange
10-13-2013, 09:25 PM
Hahahaha. Nice job testing them!

GotHalos
10-13-2013, 09:30 PM
LOL. Take earplugs next time you test them :yes:

Napanutt
10-13-2013, 09:48 PM
That's funny! thanks for all the laughs Grads!

Don't tell him that. He'll think people like him. As far as he knows, everyone, (on the Internet anyway) hates him.