PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my Dodge Truck

Universal Elements
10-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Just got a call from my mechanic and my 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins needs an ECM (computer). They go for about $2400 plus need to be flashed at the dealer for another $100. Does anyone have any hook ups on new or used ones?

riverbound
10-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Just got a call from my mechanic and my 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins needs an ECM (computer). They go for about $2400 plus need to be flashed at the dealer for another $100. Does anyone have any hook ups on new or used ones?

Why would it need a new ECM?

Stv keith is the most knowledgeable cummins guy I know.

GRADS
10-10-2013, 07:20 PM
That's an easy fix!.............

............trade it in a Ford. ;)

Universal Elements
10-10-2013, 10:41 PM
Why would it need a new ECM?

Stv keith is the most knowledgeable cummins guy I know.

I've never had any issues with the truck other than the solenoids going bad on the tranny. Got it smogged last week and they plugged into the OBDII port. I started getting the check engine light the next morning. Also, my alternator was always in the middle of the gauge. Now its always at 15+ and all over. The mechanic told me the computer controls that function too.

I drove down to the smog station and told them what has happened, of course this has never occurred in the past. So, I'm going to pick up the truck in the morning and go from there. My son's best friends owns a company called 'Jailbreak'. He specializes in tuning high end cars. I'm going to see if he can read & locate when this fault was initiated. The only thing I can think might have happened (if it did at the smog shop) was static electricity or pins may have been slightly bent touching or arcing something. But, that would be pretty far out there and rare.

What's really interesting is that other than the alternator volts going up and down, there are no fault codes that are showing that the ECM is bad or going bad. Usually, you may have like P2509 codes or something like that. I do have a P0088 which is the Fuel Rail, pressure too high and P0148 which is Fuel delivery error. The truck at idle sounds like it has a real big cam and is hunting. On the freeway and when my son towed the trailer with the BMW M3 to the Airstrip Attack in Coalinga (last weekend), the truck ran fine up both sides of the grapevine. He got pretty bad mileage but no loss of power.

Universal Elements
10-10-2013, 11:06 PM
That's an easy fix!.............

............trade it in a Ford. ;)

No thanks, but I may ask you to go check out another truck for me in Sacramento. :happy: I've found two to add to the collection.

This one for play:

This one for towing:

GRADS
10-10-2013, 11:36 PM
No thanks, but I may ask you to go check out another truck for me in Sacramento. :happy: I've found two to add to the collection.

This one for play:

This one for towing:

Let me know if you want me to. I'd be more than happy to do it and I'm kind of anal when it comes to that shit.

riverbound
10-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Let me know if you want me to. I'd be more than happy to do it and I'm kind of anal when it comes to that shit.

You really shouldn't talk about anal when describing yourself ;)