PDA

View Full Version : Boat input wanted

icb1
10-03-2013, 03:08 PM
If you were to build or design a new boat , what would you want it to have. Bare in mind it has to work and be functional but be creative. Also what do you expect from the builder of said boat IE: warranty, service etc. I would like to hear what everyone has to say good, bad or otherwise. Thanks in advance for your participation.

GotHalos
10-03-2013, 03:21 PM
West coast flavored center console. :thumbup:

Stainless
10-03-2013, 03:33 PM
For me it would be a 27-28' cat deck boat much like the DCB F30 powered by outboards. My differences only being the length and it would have a walk up swim step in the center of transom.
As for warranty and service, 2 year warranty and do first required maintenance free, then offer a preferred rate for future service or mechanical issues. Reason for 2 year warranty is because of seasonal boating, in other words most people only get a half years use in 1 year.

icb1
10-03-2013, 03:33 PM
West coast flavored center console. :thumbup:

Do you prefer right or left hand drive?

GotHalos
10-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Do you prefer right or left hand drive?

In my very limited experience, it doesn't really matter to me.

GRADS
10-03-2013, 07:45 PM
First of all let me say that opinions in NorCal definitely differ from those in SoCal/Havasu. You see very few deck boats up here, I think mostly because not many people beach their boats like at the Havasu channel. Also, open bow boats are not as popular probably for the same reason. Why would you have an open bow in a boat that does over 70 m.p.h.? IMO it's not really that safe to have people riding in them at those speeds, plus closed bows make for good dance floors/tanning areas. ;) As far as what side the steering wheel is on, it doesn't really matter to me as long as I am throttling with my right hand.

Jettboy
10-03-2013, 07:47 PM
Dcb f32

2FORCEFULL
10-04-2013, 05:25 AM
First of all let me say that opinions in NorCal definitely differ from those in SoCal/Havasu. You see very few deck boats up here, I think mostly because not many people beach their boats like at the Havasu channel. Also, open bow boats are not as popular probably for the same reason. Why would you have an open bow in a boat that does over 70 m.p.h.? IMO it's not really that safe to have people riding in them at those speeds, plus closed bows make for good dance floors/tanning areas. ;) As far as what side the steering wheel is on, it doesn't really matter to me as long as I am throttling with my right hand.

I agree pretty much with you, closed bow boats on anchor/ moring waters.. plus the closed bow lets you start boating earlier... and go longer into fall.

riding in open bow/deck boats is like riding in the back of a truck....that's why I designed the second helm.for cheetah to offer a wind block for me when riding in the wifes wild cat

Don Johnson
10-04-2013, 06:50 AM
Awesome boat! I would also consider an M31 and 28 Speedster if I was looking. What I really like about the F32 is the space in between the canopies for getting up on the deck. Idk how I would like having to step over the windshields on the 31/28 but I'd have to look at them in person. A huge plus to the windshield is the person sitting in the back seat(in the middle) doesn't take a beating from the wind lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my F32, DCB actually fabricated a removable center windshield that sits between the canopies that is very effective for rear seat wind deflection. Also can be removed in moments.

riverrunner1984
10-04-2013, 06:58 AM
I would want a build in Honda 2000 Generator vented out the back and tapped into the fuel line so I can run a BIG ASS stereo system!
In regards to a boat, I like the 32ft Advantage Victory open bow.

WMC
10-04-2013, 07:15 AM
I would say a cooler spot not built in cooler. a user friendly area for a soft sided cooler ez in ez out. My magic has a built in cooler I almost never use it for a cooler but I do put my soft sided cooler in there:thumb: It is easier to load a cooler from home base and carry it down to your boat. Bimini top with all poles no straps stock out of the box

GRADS
10-04-2013, 08:13 AM
What I really like about the F32 is the space in between the canopies for getting up on the deck. Idk how I would like having to step over the windshields on the 31/28

For this reason I am a big fan of canopies not windshields.

I would say a cooler spot not built in cooler. a user friendly area for a soft sided cooler ez in ez out. My magic has a built in cooler I almost never use it for a cooler but I do put my soft sided cooler in there:thumb: It is easier to load a cooler from home base and carry it down to your boat. Bimini top with all poles no straps stock out of the box

X2 on everything he said.

WESTERNAERO
10-04-2013, 08:25 AM
I want a 19 Spectra with a "V" keel not a rounded one.

icb1
10-04-2013, 09:03 AM
I agree, seems like the built in ice chest is a bit of a pain especially when you have to remove items. We get boats in for service where they forgot about food and drinks its disgusting. I like the idea of having a built in space for an AO cooler so it can be easily accessed. I dont know if poles in the front of a bimini top would be to intrusive?

ChumpChange
10-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Something easy to maintain. Wish list for next boat:

- The ease of cleaning a pontoon
- The power to take kids wakeboarding and tubing
- The ease of cleaning the engine when in salt water (cruising Huntington Harbor - So outboard?)

Do I want a toon for cruising or do I want a ski boat for teaching my kids? This is why I'm at a stalemate with my wallet.

niceguyeddie
10-04-2013, 12:31 PM
A built in ice machine, and a side bar.

GRADS
10-04-2013, 01:07 PM
I know some people are going to think I'm nuts but If I was to build another custom boat the paint/gelcoat would be in that old school big metallic flake that you see on old 70's boats or bass boats. I think that would look sweet on a 27' cat.

icb1
10-04-2013, 02:41 PM
I know some people are going to think I'm nuts but If I was to build another custom boat the paint/gelcoat would be in that old school big metallic flake that you see on old 70's boats or bass boats. I think that would look sweet on a 27' cat.
The whole boat or just in some graphics

GRADS
10-04-2013, 03:13 PM
The whole boat or just in some graphics

Just in the graphics with a white base.

Menace Marine
10-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Full hydraulic steering. Nothing makes a nice boat feel old and tired like loose steering. Every boat should be full hydraulic.
Well designed storage is better than lots of storage.
Quality interior. Cheap foam and vinyl don't belong in any boat over 20 grand.
Simplicity doesn't mean cheap. A lot of expensive crap bolted to the boat does not make it look valuable. Clean lines, and good rigging are timeless value adding qualities.

icb1
10-05-2013, 10:36 AM
[QUOTE=Menace Marine;39027]Full hydraulic steering. Nothing makes a nice boat feel old and tired like loose steering. Every boat should be full hydraulic.
Well designed storage is better than lots of storage.
Quality interior. Cheap foam and vinyl don't belong in any boat over 20 grand.
Simplicity doesn't mean cheap. A lot of expensive crap bolted to the boat does not make it look valuable. Clean lines, and good rigging are timeless value adding qualities.[/QUO

Full hydraulic steering is definitely the way to go. I also believe simple and clean go a long way. Whats your idea of well designed storage?

Menace Marine
10-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Big deep compartments don't do any good if you can't get to what's in back. I hate having stuff on my boat so I know I am a bit of a minority but I alway laugh when boats come into the shop and I have to empty a storage compartment. I find stuff I know the owner forgot he had. I really don't know the best layout for storage but I know what I don't like. It is a pain to have four people standing up because the fenders are under their seat.

Menace Marine
10-05-2013, 11:12 AM
And separate drains for ski lockers and storage that is not connected to the bilge under the motor. Eventually there will be oil of some sort in the bilge and it makes a huge mess if it gets to the carpeted storage or ski lockers

Slacker
10-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Also on your boat it's much easier to get back into it, if out on the lake and taking a dip, with the rear transom and swim steps! I have no idea how to get back into an M31/35 with the way the rear transoms are designed! I love the boats though, just difficult to get in/out of while out in the water lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no problem getting back in a M-31 thru transom and same with windshield, done it a lot and I'm 58. But not so kind for some folks, I understand your point. I like the way MTI does their transom on some of their's.

Slacker
10-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Something easy to maintain. Wish list for next boat:

- The ease of cleaning a pontoon
- The power to take kids wakeboarding and tubing
- The ease of cleaning the engine when in salt water (cruising Huntington Harbor - So outboard?)

Do I want a toon for cruising or do I want a ski boat for teaching my kids? This is why I'm at a stalemate with my wallet.

Sounds like you need twin 300's on a Tri-Toon,,,,,LOL

Slacker
10-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Prefectly happy the way our Tri-Toon is layed out. I would like to have twin O/B's on the back. I'm done with glass boats.

Serena
11-25-2013, 02:07 AM
Coolers are also very necessary to be kept in boat for that I have to recommend the NorChill cooler brand as I have tried a few of the other soft coolers but have to recommend this. They run specials on their website www.norchillcoolers.com all the time. They just seem to hold up better than the cheap ones from some of the retail stores. Get what you pay for!