PDA

View Full Version : Hey 314 joey

WMC
10-03-2013, 07:06 AM
Are you going to get hit by the storm coming your way?

sent from WMC's phone

314joey
10-03-2013, 07:34 AM
No, it's heading North to Alabama, even if it did, we ain't skerd, we bought a hurricane built house, it a concrete house, has a tile roof, electric hurricane shutters and the house has hurricane straps in the attic, now nothing is 100% hurricane proof, but I had a wind mitigation report done on the house before we bought it and it has a A+ rating.

Here's some pics of the electric shutters, they take about thirty second to close, they are cool.

I took a few pics of them partly down so you could get an idea what they look like and there's one pic with them up, it's hard to tell that they're even there when they're not down and one of the front door.

But, thanks for asking, Jim (aka joey)

riverrunner1984
10-03-2013, 07:37 AM
Hey Jim,
In the off chance a Hurricane hits your area, what would you do with your boat?
Trailer in the driveway or leave it where it is?

314joey
10-03-2013, 07:42 AM
Hey Jim,
In the off chance a Hurricane hits your area, what would you do with your boat?
Trailer in the driveway or leave it where it is?

If I didn't have time to have someone come get it, I don't own a trailer for that heavy sucker, I would just tie it down, take the canopy cover off and get out my boat insurance policy if there was a problem, the one good thing about my dock, I had them install 10" poles for the lift, makes it that much sturdier.

Most of the damage comes from flying debris from the high winds.

riverrunner1984
10-03-2013, 07:48 AM
OIC, that makes sense!

Wendi
10-03-2013, 07:48 AM
Very cool I'm glad your house is hurricane proof! I've been through one hurricane and it was pretty scary.

GotHalos
10-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Hurricane proof, very nice. :thumbup:

WESTERNAERO
10-03-2013, 08:59 AM
Do you have those roll-ups all the way around the house or just on the front and back. If a side window gets broken by flying debris wouldn't the wind pressure entering the house blow those roll-ups out and off?

WESTERNAERO
10-03-2013, 09:01 AM
I'm looking at the pics again and it looks like the roll-ups are not solid and allow air to flow through them. Is that correct?

314joey
10-03-2013, 09:35 AM
Do you have those roll-ups all the way around the house or just on the front and back. If a side window gets broken by flying debris wouldn't the wind pressure entering the house blow those roll-ups out and off?

We've got them on every window, I only took pics of the front and back, the grass was wet from the sprinklers this morning and didn't want to get wet.

I'm looking at the pics again and it looks like the roll-ups are not solid and allow air to flow through them. Is that correct?

Actually those spaces you see all close up when they're all the way down, that's what allows them to roll up into the boxes, it's a very neat system, just hit the switch inside the house and wait thirty seconds, get in the car with a few days clothes and drive North for a three day vacation until it's over and hope for the best.

WESTERNAERO
10-03-2013, 09:44 AM
Your place looks very nice from the pics I've seen and that storm setup you've got going on is the icing on the cake. Very bitchen house.

314joey
10-03-2013, 10:00 AM
Your place looks very nice from the pics I've seen and that storm setup you've got going on is the icing on the cake. Very bitchen house.

Only about 50% of the houses down here have descent hurricane protection, when I first drove up to this house I know I had to have it, our realtor told me to get this kind of shutters installed now would be around $30-35K for all the windows we have, thanks for the nice compliments.

hbchgirl
10-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Looks like your house has great protection should a hurricane ever hit!

Ziggy
10-03-2013, 12:39 PM
How about the weak link? Garage door. Anything else to protect it or is it a hurricane door as well. It looks like our standard $800 doors out west.

From my POS T-mobile thingie

314joey
10-03-2013, 12:48 PM
How about the weak link? Garage door. Anything else to protect it or is it a hurricane door as well. It looks like our standard $800 doors out west.

Funny, you mention the garage door, we learned something the first month, one of the springs went out (broke) and I had to get a new one and at the same time I got a new heavy duty opener, well, when the spring broke Mister strongman here thought he could lift it and get my car out.............wrong, our door weighs over 400lbs due to all the extra steel bracing on it, the garage door guy said there's no way anyone can lift these doors.

I couldn't get my car until the next day when the guy came and put a new spring on, learn something everyday, not a standard door.

Chit, back in Missouri I used to lift the door all the time, not down here, but they were made like a few beer cans.

Ziggy
10-03-2013, 01:01 PM
Funny, you mention the garage door, we learned something the first month, one of the springs went out (broke) and I had to get a new one and at the same time I got a new heavy duty opener, well, when the spring broke Mister strongman here thought he could lift it and get my car out.............wrong, our door weighs over 400lbs due to all the extra steel bracing on it, the garage door guy said there's no way anyone can lift these doors.

I couldn't get my car until the next day when the guy came and put a new spring on, learn something everyday, not a standard door.

Chit, back in Missouri I used to lift the door all the time, not down here, but they were made like a few beer cans.

That's awesome. Apparently the previous owners were smart and wealthy enough to do it all right. Very cool house and set up.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: