PDA

View Full Version : MS Excel ?

Stainless
10-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Is there another way to populate columns with the same info other than right click, copy, highlight, and paste? Sometimes I have maybe 5 cells to fill and think there should be a faster way to do it with the control or shift key. I'm relatively new to Excel.

riverrunner1984
10-01-2013, 01:41 PM
Wish I can help but I absolutely hate Excel!!!
Maybe youtube.com???

HB Vic
10-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Not sure I understand what you're asking. But if you have data in A1, you should be able to click the bottom right lower in cell A1, hold it, and drag it across to the right.

Stainless
10-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Not sure I understand what you're asking. But if you have data in A1, you should be able to click the bottom right lower in cell A1, hold it, and drag it across to the right.
That works, Thanks HB!

Stainless
10-01-2013, 02:03 PM
How about when entering a date? It wants to progress to next day. Can I change something to copy same date?

HB Vic
10-01-2013, 02:06 PM
How about when entering a date? It wants to progress to next day. Can I change something to copy same date?

You should be able to insert the absolute reference sign ($). You may have to enter it more than once depending on what you're doing.

Stainless
10-01-2013, 02:07 PM
Ok, for dates if you enter twice and then grab the cross it copies same date.

HB Vic
10-01-2013, 02:08 PM

You can also enter the same data in two cells, say A1 & B1, highlight both cells, then drag the lower right across to the left.

Stainless
10-01-2013, 02:10 PM
You can also enter the same data in two cells, say A1 & B1, highlight both cells, then drag the lower right across to the left.
Yea, I figured that out in post 7. What is the absolute reference? Sorry I'm self teaching here.

HB Vic
10-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Yea, I figured that out in post 7. What is the absolute reference? Sorry I'm self teaching here.

The dollar sign: $. So if you want to fix A1 so it doesn't update, enter: $A$1. If you want to fix only A, enter: $A1 and vice versa

Eli
10-01-2013, 02:19 PM
This thread is making my head hurt :D

Sent from my Bat Cave

HB Vic
10-01-2013, 02:25 PM
You can also use the "Date" function. Just insert function "Date" and enter the date you want. When you copy/paste the date remains unchanged.

Stainless
10-01-2013, 02:36 PM
The dollar sign: $. So if you want to fix A1 so it doesn't update, enter: $A$1. If you want to fix only A, enter: $A1 and vice versa
I'm lost here, but date isn't a big deal. I can do what I what I described in post 1. Maybe I will re-read this tomorrow and get it.

Stainless
10-01-2013, 02:42 PM
This thread is making my head hurt :D

Sent from my Bat Cave
Looks like your ribs are hurting too from laughing. This was not a requirement to operate a P&H. :D

FormulaZR
10-01-2013, 02:45 PM
If you want the data from cell A1 into...just say Z1 - all you have to type is =A1 in cell Z1

At this point, Z1 and A1 will ALWAYS display the same data. For example: you change the date in A1, it will also change the date in Z1.

Alternatively, if you're just going to click/drag. After you're done there will be a box in the lower right hand corner of the cell you last filled. Put your cursor over it, and you can bring up a drop down menu. It will give you numerous fill options, or just the option to Copy Cells. Copy Cells is what prevents Excel from turning dates into a series. The default (Fill Series) is a way to make a calendar.

Stainless
10-01-2013, 02:56 PM
If you want the data from cell A1 into...just say Z1 - all you have to type is =A1 in cell Z1

At this point, Z1 and A1 will ALWAYS display the same data. For example: you change the date in A1, it will also change the date in Z1.

Alternatively, if you're just going to click/drag. After you're done there will be a box in the lower right hand corner of the cell you last filled. Put your cursor over it, and you can bring up a drop down menu. It will give you numerous fill options, or just the option to Copy Cells. Copy Cells is what prevents Excel from turning dates into a series. The default (Fill Series) is a way to make a calendar.
Thanks, the second recomendation is how I have been doing it all along. There are so many different ways to "skin the cat" in Excel and I'm interested in the fewest keystrokes possible. I Appreciate the Hotboat braintrust sharing their knowlege!