PDA

View Full Version : Take a look at this.....

Tishimself
09-27-2013, 03:19 AM
Video.... I find it fascinating, not because there are trains in it, but because it shows life at the turn of the 20th century. You might as well be looking at another world...you will need to watch it several times as I have, but each time you do, you will notice something you did not see the previous time....and still, I am not talking about the trains...although if you want, I can point out several railroad "gems" to you....take a look...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQzXCoQRbas

Tishimself
09-27-2013, 09:24 AM
One of the things I find fascinating about this is the total lack of cars. This is a time before cars were around, the roads are more for horse drawn wagons at this point, though, there are a few cars out there, owned by wealthy people more as a status symbol, than as a serious mode of transportation. The other thing is the number of people out and about, you don't see that much any longer, we are all in buildings and cars, not out walking around like folks on here. I suspect that this is due to the fact that they knew the camera was coming through town and wanted to be a part of that. cameras back then were new, especially motion picture cameras, and they may have wanted to be a part of history. These videos, shot by Edison as part of the copyright process, are among the first moving pictures ever shot, if not the first. So it was a big deal to see one of these at the time. Notice the kid riding his bike ahead of the train. Plus, people walked a lot more in those days...so they were also just out doing their daily routines...

Now as for the railroad gems in the video. If you look at the first engine coming by in the video, it is called a camelback. It looked like this....

They were some of the most unique engines ever built, and were strictly used on the east coast. They did not have a long service life, as they were extremely dangerous to operate. The engineer sat up on top over the boiler, with the fireman, while a second fire man fed the boiler at the rear of the engine on the platform between it and the tender. Because they were so rare, and because of the time they were running, photos can be found, but footage of them running is extremely rare.....also, in the video are the rarest of signals, the "ball" type signal. When the ball is in the high position, that is a proceed signal. Thus the saying "highball!!!" Which is still used today to indicate a clear block or a green light.....

Wendi
09-27-2013, 10:17 AM
Yes I too noticed the lack of vehicles and all the people that were out and about. I also noticed people riding on the tops and hanging out the sides. You would never see that today! Back in the day people worked HARD labor!!!

Tishimself
01-31-2014, 08:25 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread for one pic, so I went back and found this one to use. If this engine looks familiar, and it wont to most of you, but it might to your kids...this is the engine they drew in as the engine in the Polar Express movie. Rendered it right down to the sounds of the engine itself. Pere Marquette 1225 is known as a Berkshire type engine. A 2-8-4, it and other Berkshire's are considered to be the most aesthetically pleasing (beautiful) engines ever built. I agree, here are two examples of the same engine, but built for two separate railroads. Second engine is the Nickel Plate 765...beautiful!!!!!

ogshotgun
01-31-2014, 08:33 PM
wow thats a weird looking boat

Napanutt
01-31-2014, 08:36 PM

Yea, I don't think it would float. :D

Tishimself
01-31-2014, 08:38 PM

LOL...it's actually www.Hotboatscarsplanesandtrains.com just so ya know...LOL...:D:D:D

ogshotgun
01-31-2014, 08:39 PM
what happened to the boating pictures ? all i see is random BS hardly any boats at all thats sad !!!

ogshotgun
01-31-2014, 08:42 PM
32074 just a reminder of what a boat looks like !!!

Napanutt
01-31-2014, 08:44 PM
what happened to the boating pictures ? all i see is random BS hardly any boats at all thats sad !!!

The BS isn't random. Kind of like what people have told me about listening to Howard Stern (who I don't listen to).
You have to get to know the cast of characters. Once you do, it's actually kind of funny.

Napanutt
01-31-2014, 08:50 PM
Here's one from a few years back.
My boat on the bottom, West Coast Fucker next to me and Grads' eliminator with the lovely Mrs. Daytona sprawled out on the deck. :)

ogshotgun
01-31-2014, 08:52 PM
just saying in the last 10000 posts on HOTBOAT there isn't crap about a boat

Sharp shooter
01-31-2014, 09:12 PM

Ah contraire mon frère. Click over there-> The really "Old School" boating thread (http://www.hotboat.com/frm/showthread.php?3449-The-really-quot-Old-School-quot-boating-thread) :)

SnoC653
01-31-2014, 09:19 PM

So your boat isn't boat enough to draw attention without a girl on the deck? Come on, this isn't Hot Girl.com, where are your boat only pictures? Or better yet, just get off your soap box and let people enjoy the site how they want. Only go to the boating sections if you only want to see boats.

gn7
01-31-2014, 09:20 PM
Cool video. Because this was about the railroads at the turn of the century, one blarring thing missing was the brakemen that road on the cars and applied the brakes from the engineers signal.
Before the invention of air by brakes George Westinghouse, the job of a railroad brakeman was the most dangerous job is the country. The country is littered with railroad brakeman buried on the side of rail from one end of the country to the other. The trains were almost exclusively freight trains because most people were scared shitless to ride a train before the brake system came into use.

Westinghouse's brake company was little like Howard Hugh's tool company. It supplied the money that allowed him to venture into other fields he liked better, like electricity.

Kind of an irony that Edison chose trains as a show piece for his new invention of moving pictures. Trains supplied the funds to his biggest rival and the guy that eventually derailed Edison's idea of electrifying America with DC power plants, ON EVERY OTHER BLOCK!!!

Tishimself
01-31-2014, 09:25 PM

In case you haven't noticed dude, it's winter, not a lot of boating going on. And add to that not a lot of snow, and this is what you get. We need about 500 inches of snow and rain up here, we got less than one inch this week. So get used to steam engine pics. My boat is staying in it's box this year.

ogshotgun
01-31-2014, 09:27 PM
32078for all you haters i have pictures with no girl..that was a shoot for performance boats

Sharp shooter
01-31-2014, 09:33 PM
32078for all you haters i have pictures with no girl..that was a shoot for performance boats

That's a bad ass boat brother, but the old trains are pretty cool too. :beer

Tishimself
01-31-2014, 10:07 PM

Not hating dude. But you got it wrong. YOU came onto MY thread and started whining about the lack of boats. Interesting that you found the one thread with no boats in it on a website STUFFED to the rim with threads full of boats. Or maybe there's something else going on here???:asshole2:

SnoC653
01-31-2014, 10:24 PM

Nice flat. The motor is in backwards and it has jet boat headers but it is still a very nice ride.

Napanutt
01-31-2014, 10:26 PM
Nice flat. The motor is in backwards and it has jet boat headers but it is still a very nice ride.

Ouch!!

ogshotgun
01-31-2014, 10:34 PM
That's a bad ass boat brother, but the old trains are pretty cool too. :beer

they have a webisyte called trains.com and guess what not one boat , car, truck , plane on there at all only trains go figure

ogshotgun
01-31-2014, 10:36 PM
Nice flat. The motor is in backwards and it has jet boat headers but it is still a very nice ride. well in a drag boat with a drive you run off the fly wheel my friend .. and if they were jet boat headers they would be pointing forward since jet boats are a direct connect to the flywheel

Tishimself
01-31-2014, 10:37 PM
they have a webisyte called trains.com and guess what not one boat , car, truck , plane on there at all only trains go figure

LOL..trains.com...ok...why is this so important to you that a boat site retain it's boating purity? I mean seriously, so far, your the only one that cares enough to care. Not that I care.

ogshotgun
01-31-2014, 10:41 PM
LOL..trains.com...ok...why is this so important to you that a boat site retain it's boating purity? I mean seriously, so far, your the only one that cares enough to care. Not that I care.
you go river caves place and its all boats ..performance boats its all boats..hotboat.com,,,very little boats at all, what happened to this site ? from what i can several hundred members 5 with boating desires lol

Tishimself
01-31-2014, 10:46 PM
you go river caves place and its all boats ..performance boats its all boats..hotboat.com,,,very little boats at all, what happened to this site ? from what i can several hundred members 5 with boating desires lol

RDP is an awesome site. While your there, look for a thread called "Welcome back UP 4014" crowd favorite....I LOVE that place.

-------------------------------------------> Or was that RCP's place?? I cant tell. :banned1:

WESTERNAERO
01-31-2014, 10:47 PM

Nice butt!!!! Oh, I mean boat

HB Vic
01-31-2014, 10:48 PM
Ok people are we done here??

I have no problem with Dave or RDP, so let's keep it civilized ok?

Thank you.
Me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ogshotgun
01-31-2014, 10:50 PM
RDP is an awesome site. While your there, look for a thread called "Welcome back UP 4014" crowd favorite....I LOVE that place.

-------------------------------------------> Or was that RCP's place?? I cant tell. :banned1:great pics all boats, couldn't find a train one lmao

ogshotgun
01-31-2014, 10:53 PM
Ok people are we done here??

I have no problem with Dave or RDP, so let's keep it civilized ok?

Thank you.
Me

no body said you had a problem with rdp ??? where did that come from? my question is ,, why is there so much non boating stuff, its more than ever before ,, i made a reference about two other boating sites .. and those sites all are boats only so back to my question what happened to hot boat?

Tishimself
01-31-2014, 10:53 PM
great pics all boats, couldn't find a train one lmao

Keep looking, they are there. LOTS of train buffs over there. BTW, trains are cool dude. Everyone loves a train. Engineers? not so much. :grumble

SnoC653
01-31-2014, 10:58 PM
well in a drag boat with a drive you run off the fly wheel my friend .. and if they were jet boat headers they would be pointing forward since jet boats are a direct connect to the flywheel

Please tell me you did not just say if they were jet boat headers they would be pointing forward? :bangmyhead:

You do know that it is the upward angle that makes them jet boat headers. V-drive headers tend to be level with the hull when mounted on an engine with the front down and back up. Jet boat headers tend to point way up in the air when mounted in a V-drive, since a jet sits with the rear of the engine lower than the front.

The headers can be turned around and put on the other head to keep them pointing the right way regardless if you run off the nose or the flywheel. Circle boats generally run off the nose.

But are you saying your Wriedt is a drag boat? Looks like a cool lake cruiser to me.

SnoC653
01-31-2014, 11:00 PM
no body said you had a problem with rdp ??? where did that come from? my question is ,, why is there so much non boating stuff, its more than ever before ,, i made a reference about two other boating sites .. and those sites all are boats only so back to my question what happened to hot boat?

Why come to a site that has a diversified interest in more than just our boats, to complain when clearly there are sites more to your preference?

Napanutt
01-31-2014, 11:00 PM
RDP is an awesome site. While your there, look for a thread called "Welcome back UP 4014" crowd favorite....

I read that thread and found it was kind of awkward that the train man wasn't able to comment on his own thread.

Tishimself
01-31-2014, 11:06 PM
I read that thread and found it was kind of awkward that the train man wasn't able to comment on his own thread.

Yeah well...LOL...like I said...everyone loves the train....engineer?? Ehhh..not so much....what can I say?? :banned1:

Napanutt
01-31-2014, 11:22 PM
Yeah well...LOL...like I said...everyone loves the train....engineer?? Ehhh..not so much....what can I say?? :banned1:

Ha ha.
Most every one likes their mode of transportation, no body really gives a shit who gets them there. :)

GRADS
01-31-2014, 11:24 PM

I hate to tell you but that is a HotBoat watermark on that picture.

Tishimself
01-31-2014, 11:25 PM
Ha ha.
Most every one likes their mode of transportation, no body really gives a shit who gets them there. :)

Yeah, it's always that one left turn at the stoplight that ends you up in south philly you gotta watch out for...LOL...

Napanutt
01-31-2014, 11:52 PM
Yeah, it's always that one left turn at the stoplight that ends you up in south philly you gotta watch out for...LOL...

I thought it was Albuquerque, looney tunes, circa 69 or 70.

HB Vic
01-31-2014, 11:54 PM

Not sure what your motive is OG. If you're here trying to cause trouble your visit will be short lived. If you're just raising a stink tonight, have at it. I have think skin. So you tell me, whats it gonna be??

HB Vic
01-31-2014, 11:58 PM

Intelligence isn't a requirement to join the site. We love everyone.

Napanutt
02-01-2014, 12:01 AM
Not sure what your motive is OG. If you're here trying to cause trouble your visit will be short lived. If you're just raising a stink tonight, have at it. I have think skin. So you tell me, whats it gonna be??

You're either losing sleep or turning gray or both trying to keep up with the fucks around here.
I'm sure glad I can read/post and go to bed and not have a care in the world about what might happen after midnight.

Napanutt
02-01-2014, 12:03 AM
Intelligence isn't a requirement to join

So sounds like the requirements to work for us these days.

HB Vic
02-01-2014, 12:06 AM
You're either losing sleep or turning gray or both trying to keep up with the fucks around here.
I'm sure glad I can read/post and go to bed and not have a care in the world about what might happen after midnight.

I'm a gluten for punishment LOL

OG might just be having a bad night. Or not. Either way its not a problem really. I welcome everyone, unless they're here to cause problems. Then I will manage them out the door :D

Tishimself
02-01-2014, 12:08 AM
So sounds like the requirements to work for us these days.

Stole it right off the Amtrak employment site LOL :D

Btw, goodnight gentlemen....I have a long weekend of superbowling to do. SO I want to wager a little bet with the boss....HB, if Denver wins, GRADS get to never ever be a mod, ok? And if Seattle wins, GRADS never ever gets to be a mod, do we have a bet? :D

Napanutt
02-01-2014, 12:09 AM
I'm a gluten for punishment LOL

OG might just be having a bad night. Or not. Either way its not a problem really. I welcome everyone, unless there here to cause problems. Then I will manage them out the door :D

Very well put. It's past my bed time, carry on peeps. :)

ogshotgun
02-01-2014, 12:32 AM
well you can buy the magazine and see for yourself my friend Brett Bayne took the picture with his model Gemma

ogshotgun
02-01-2014, 12:35 AM
well you can buy the magazine and see for yourself my friend Brett Bayne took the picture with his model Gemma
and the picture your talking about i took with my iPhone how it got tagged i have no clue

ogshotgun
02-01-2014, 12:38 AM
Please tell me you did not just say if they were jet boat headers they would be pointing forward? :bangmyhead:

You do know that it is the upward angle that makes them jet boat headers. V-drive headers tend to be level with the hull when mounted on an engine with the front down and back up. Jet boat headers tend to point way up in the air when mounted in a V-drive, since a jet sits with the rear of the engine lower than the front.

The headers can be turned around and put on the other head to keep them pointing the right way regardless if you run off the nose or the flywheel. Circle boats generally run off the nose.

But are you saying your Wriedt is a drag boat? Looks like a cool lake cruiser to me.

rewarder headers bell end for 440 chrysler drive ... look them up right in the catalog i ordered them from. MCHR 2020LV
383/440
Standard 2" Dia
Long V Drive
$995.00

SnoC653
02-01-2014, 12:52 AM
and the picture your talking about i took with my iPhone how it got tagged i have no clue

Well if you'd slow your roll down you might learn how some things work. A lot of the people On here have more time messing with these boats than you have on the planet. Hopefully you've already learned the difference between jet boat and vdrive headers. Yes jet boat headers will work on a vdrive. It doesn't usually work the other way around.

As for the watermark, the site ads it when you posted the picture from your album.

HB Vic
02-01-2014, 12:55 AM

That looks like a Gothalos watermark to me. Mine are usually on the right. Good pic. Maybe Gothalos will remember.

SnoC653
02-01-2014, 12:59 AM
I realize you are young and think you have all the answers, but I have a set of 440 vdrive headers and they don't stick up like that unless they are for a jet boat. Your 440 is at no more of an angle than any other flywheel driven vdrive engine. Do you really think only the Mopar headers would stick up like that?

Well why wouldn't you, you didn't even know that they just turn around if your engine faces the other way.

HB Vic
02-01-2014, 01:02 AM

Hotboat.com does not watermark photos posted on this site. So if a photo is watermarked with the hotboat.com logo it was taken by one of the hotboat.com photographers. There is no other way for the watermark to get applied.

ogshotgun
02-01-2014, 01:05 AM
I realize you are young and think you have all the answers, but I have a set of 440 vdrive headers and they don't stick up like that unless they are for a jet boat. Your 440 is at no more of an angle than any other flywheel driven vdrive engine. Do you really think only the Mopar headers would stick up like that?

Well why wouldn't you, you didn't even know that they just turn around if your engine faces the other way.
all i know is that i bought them from rewarder and thats what they are.. way better than the zooms it had ..

ogshotgun
02-01-2014, 01:06 AM
Hotboat.com does not watermark photos posted on this site. So if a photo is watermarked with the hotboat.com logo it was taken by one of the hotboat.com photographers. There is no other way for the watermark to get applied.

all i know is hot boat was long gone when this picture was taken it was heading to the trailer after 5:00 pm at billy bs

HB Vic
02-01-2014, 01:07 AM
Not hating dude. But you got it wrong. YOU came onto MY thread and started whining about the lack of boats. Interesting that you found the one thread with no boats in it on a website STUFFED to the rim with threads full of boats. Or maybe there's something else going on here???:asshole2:

OG I think we're done here, right??

ogshotgun
02-01-2014, 01:08 AM

not young have no answers .. i know that the jet boat headers stick up at a 45 degree angle ... how i know ebay buy and they did not work at all

ogshotgun
02-01-2014, 01:09 AM
OG I think we're done here, right??

aim done and why does this guy need to scream about his trains .. we all know they make the best mooring anchors out there lmao

WMC
02-01-2014, 07:04 AM
That looks like a Gothalos watermark to me. Mine are usually on the right. Good pic. Maybe Gothalos will remember.

Photo taken by Nick Rose

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

HB Vic
02-01-2014, 08:21 AM
aim done and why does this guy need to scream about his trains .. we all know they make the best mooring anchors out there lmao

Well that's not nice. I love trains :D

HB Vic
02-01-2014, 08:21 AM
Photo taken by Nick Rose

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Thank you.

hbchgirl
02-01-2014, 10:00 AM

We (NRI) took the photo at the Pirate's Cove flat regatta in Sept. and included your watermark (with your permission of course) 😬

GRADS
02-01-2014, 10:10 AM
So you drove the boat and took a selfie from shore?.....That's talent!

If you're just raising a stink tonight, have at it. I have think skin.

Wow!!! I've heard of thin and thick skinned people but never think skin.....you must be really smart. ;)

HB Vic
02-01-2014, 10:11 AM
We (NRI) took the photo at the Pirate's Cove flat regatta in Sept. and included your watermark (with your permission of course) 😬

I have CRS, forgot about all the pics you guys took and watermarked for us. That pic didn't look familiar to me, guess that's why :D