PDA

View Full Version : Tips ?

SBS933
09-25-2013, 05:09 PM
I've always been told i'm too generous with my tips, but it makes me feel good that a good waiter and server can throw some gas in their tank or buy some beer after work. I have friends in the restaurant business and i hear them complain all the time about busting their asses off for a party of people and getting stiffed. Funny thing is these are the ones that tell me i tip to much money. If a 20 0r 40 spot puts me out, i shouldn't be out at a resturant in the first place.

Stainless
09-25-2013, 05:15 PM
I've always been told i'm too generous with my tips, but it makes me feel good that a good waiter and server can throw some gas in their tank or buy some beer after work. I have friends in the restaurant business and i hear them complain all the time about busting their asses off for a party of people and getting stiffed. Funny thing is these are the ones that tell me i tip to much money. If a 20 0r 40 spot puts me out, i shouldn't be out at a resturant in the first place.
I mostly do 20% unless its really over the top service, such as a great wine suggestion.

GRADS
09-25-2013, 05:20 PM
If I know I'm going to frequent a restaurant/bar on a regular basis I always start out tipping big usually no less than 30%. You'd be amazed how many meals/drinks get "left off" ;) the check after that...ends up saving me money in the long run.

McRib
09-25-2013, 05:32 PM
Im a heavy bartender tipper when out. Food service workers start at 20%. Its up to him/her to maintain. It doesn't take much either. Keep my glass full. Dont make me ask for a refill and make sure my order is right before you bring it out and def make sure u ask my wife what she wants first. Pretty basic stuff really but its amazing how many servers just dont give a shit. If u dont like ur job... quit! I dont want to feel ur shitty vibe. Ive had such shitty service I let it be known and walked out. I'm nobody but I expect a certain amount of ass kissed. Make me wanna come back cause of ur service.

riverbound
09-25-2013, 05:38 PM
I start at 20% and will go up and down based on service. Places I frequent I tend to tip very well.

HB Vic
09-25-2013, 05:43 PM
Funny, I was gonna start a thread about this. I usually start at 20% and go from there. More if I frequent the place. I also tip the valet in and out. So my heap is usually parked next to the Lambo's :D

09-25-2013, 05:47 PM
Restaurants always 20/25% and if the server is really good 30%. If they suck they’ll still get their 15%, I just don't go back.

I always tip way too much for bartenders but never have to wait for a drink. :happy:

Wendi
09-25-2013, 05:48 PM
20% tip, also better if we frequent the place. I also try to tip with cash because my cousin is a bar manager and she said they prefer cash tips if at all possible.

314joey
09-25-2013, 06:20 PM
Pretty much start at 25% and go up and down from there, but usually max at 30%, these guys and gals don't make chit per hour and if they're descent or good they deserve more.

Ziggy
09-25-2013, 09:26 PM
20% tip, also better if we frequent the place. I also try to tip with cash because my cousin is a bar manager and she said they prefer cash tips if at all possible.
Pretty much the same we do. To make it quick I generally double tax(most places that's at least 18%)and add on top of that if good service. Lol, my wife breaks out her phone and goes to some App to figure the tip:rolleyes: , meanwhile I already laid out the cash. If we pay bill on plastic I try to leave tip in cash.:thumbup:

From my POS T-mobile thingie

SBS933
09-25-2013, 09:46 PM
My favorite places alway get $40.00 and I used to round it off, If it was $120.00 I would always go $200.00 Who Cares. When a bar is packed like the old Sundance, It's always a $20.00 tip to the barkeep everytime. As soon as they see me 3 packs back, They always see me and get my order. Hell otherwise I might as well stay home.

09-25-2013, 10:04 PM
my wife breaks out her phone and goes to some App to figure the tip.

My wife does that every time.....lol

I always have it figured out in my head before she can grab her phone but I just let her do her thing.... :D

SBS933
09-25-2013, 10:15 PM
My wife does that every time.....lol

I always have it figured out in my head before she can grab her phone but I just let her do her thing.... :D I do that now, after the fact. Sometimes I find I tip 65% I find out that the meal is $45.00 and I tip $60.00 it drives my chick crazy, but if service is good Mo Fo is gonna get bank. Can't help it.

09-25-2013, 10:25 PM
i do that now, after the fact. Sometimes i find i tip 65% i find out that the meal is $45.00 and i tip $60.00 it drives my chick crazy,

lol...:D

but if service is good mo fo is gonna get bank. Can't help it.

:thumbup: That's the way it should be, I hate cheap bastards.... :D

niceguyeddie
09-26-2013, 12:58 AM
It just depends. If the place was a shit hole and the service sucked then she/he is getting a couple bucks.

If it's a place I go to often I tip really well (start at 30%), but I do it because I like the place...That's why I go often. I have few spots where I know all the waitresses and bartenders names.

IMO, you tip based on the service and quality of food and/or drinks ( I hate weak drinks!!!), not just some feel good formula. Do you pay your employees what they earned or just some feel good number?

I crack up at the guys that tip huge to cute bartenders just because they're cute. Fucking retards.

28eliminator
09-26-2013, 05:43 AM
Usually around 20 to 30%.. If service is good. If service sucks, they get the left over change and one less customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Eli
09-26-2013, 06:55 AM
I tip 20% unless the service is exceptionally good or bad. If a waiter or bartender gives me anything comped...even if it's bc I didn't like it, I give them the value of that item as a tip. They deserve it!

Sent from my Bat Cave

Paul65K
09-26-2013, 07:06 AM
OK so I'm probably just a little different. I pretty much give 20% on most checks. 30% if the service is exceptional or as others have said good in a place that I am trying to "Break In" for lots of future business :D

Where I mix it up a little is on the wine if the bottle(s) is over $100 where is it considered "Reasonable" to tip your normal amounts but wine at only 10%. I have typically agreed with this, especially when I am ordering the wine and not relying on a suggestion from a waiter.....if there is a sommelier then all bets are off and wine is at 15%.

Call me a cheapskate when it comes to wine but I have an issue paying a big tip on something that I typically know way more about than the waiter.

When we were in CA and you could actually bring a bottle of your own and pay a corkage fee, I was always very generous when the waiter/sommelier would take extra care. One thing I can say for certain is that we have great relationships with servers that we frequent often :D