PDA

View Full Version : America's Cup - Game 7

ChumpChange
09-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Will be decided today!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/the-turnstile/not-grandfather-america-cup-225431505.html

Not your grandfather’s America’s Cup

When did sailors start wearing helmets?

If you haven't been watching the America's Cup – and odds are you haven't – then you've missed the transformation of a stodgy old race into an X Game.

Yes, the America's Cup – to be decided on Wednesday in a final, winner-take all race between the United States and New Zealand – has become an extreme sport, complete with breakneck speeds (on water anyway), whip-fast turns and danger, so much so that one sailor has already died.

These are the lengths to which the sport has gone to in order to attract an audience that, for the most part, isn't there. Because really, where's the excitement in watching a boat jibe, whatever that means?

Well, the answer is in the AC72 – a sort of Formula 1 car on water. Gone are the single-hull Edsels of years past, replaced by dual-hulled Ferraris that sport 131-foot sails and foils – L-shaped fins – that actually lift the catamaran entirely out of the water. The result: speeds upwards of 50 mph and, subsequently, the necessity for helmets.

"Ultimately, these things fly like an aircraft in terms of wings," Adam May, an analyst for the Sweden's Artemis Racing, told the Associated Press. "Water is so much denser than air that you can do that with very small wings. The lift and how it's generated is like an aircraft. The takeoff part is the easier part. If you've got enough power from the sail – your engine – effectively, you can get the boat to enough speed to take off. The hard part is how you fly it through a very narrow height range, how you keep it at a certain height."

Therein lies the danger. A boat rising out of the water creates a scenario where it can fall back in, and if done at the wrong angle can nosedive, causing the boat to topple over. This is apparently what happened to the Artemis Racing boat during practice in May, an accident that claimed the life of Andrew Simpson, a British sailor and two-time Olympic medalist.

Some have called into question the safety of this kind of sailing. Italian sailor Luca Devoti told SkyNews the boats "are pushing the boundaries of the sport and going into unknown territory."

"I don't know what they are going to do from now onwards because this brings a real issue which is the safety of the sailors," he said. "It is not for me to say, but everybody could foresee this disaster had a great chance of happening."

Three months later, the America's Cup is pushing toward one of the great finishes in its 162-year history, as the American team, financed by billionaire Larry Ellison, has come all the way back from an 8-1 deficit to force a Game 7 of sorts – a winner-take all race Wednesday in San Francisco Bay that will decide who claims the cup.

The seven straight wins by Oracle Team USA puts the Americans on the verge of one of the great comebacks in sports history, the Kiwis on the brink of one of the all-time chokes and the America's Cup in a spotlight brighter than it could have ever hoped for – with or without the AC72.

GRADS
09-25-2013, 12:21 PM
I was thinking about going to watch but they are saying it might be postponed until tomorrow due to high winds.

GRADS
09-25-2013, 12:24 PM
If it is today it is on directv channel 220 at 1 pm.

ChumpChange
09-25-2013, 12:45 PM
I was thinking about going to watch but they are saying it might be postponed until tomorrow due to high winds.

Cancelling a sailing competition die to high winds. It doesn't get much funnier than that!

RogerThat99
09-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Cancelling a sailing competition die to high winds. It doesn't get much funnier than that!

Except I have heard those boats are capable of traveling 3x the wind speed. 50mph wind = well you get the idea

sent using Tapatalk.

ChumpChange
09-25-2013, 01:03 PM
Except I have heard those boats are capable of traveling 3x the wind speed. 50mph wind = well you get the idea

sent using Tapatalk.

Oh I know. They're crazy fast. I heard on CL they can up to 340mph. That's faster than a jet boat! To those that don't, it's one of the funnier things to say....

GRADS
09-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Due to the death earlier this year they put a cap of 25 knots for a top wind speed.

GRADS
09-25-2013, 01:17 PM
Anybody else watching? What a beautiful day out there....I should of taken the boat out to watch.:grumble

RogerThat99
09-25-2013, 01:54 PM
Looks like the USA won!

Blubyu
09-25-2013, 02:06 PM
Talk about a comeback!!! We did it!!

Wendi
09-25-2013, 02:20 PM
Congrats to Team USA on the biggest come back win in Americas Cup 164 year history!!!!

ChumpChange
09-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Looks like the USA won!

Wow! Missed it as I was at an appoinment but that's awesome!

Tishimself
09-26-2013, 10:53 PM
Wow! Missed it as I was at an appoinment but that's awesome!

Here's the entire race for you sir if you have not seen it already.....these boats are seriously fast and dangerous as hell to sail...but boy they look like fun.LOL.....to me, the Americas cup will never be the same again.....look for the AC72's to make a comeback in San Fran in a few years and be even more faster than they are now...would be great to lengthen the course to allow an even longer downwind run.....a 100mph sailboat? God, these can do it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukY6pQk3d2k