PDA

View Full Version : Calling out JW!

GRADS
09-20-2013, 11:19 AM
Yesterday I was looking for pics to post in the Throwback Thursday thread and found this gem from back in the old Hotboat days.

For those of you that don't recall, JW and I had a long standing feud that started over whether or not the baby blue Ultra Shadow would do 119 m.p.h. and it escalated from there.

Fast forward to 2009 when I was diagnosed with skin cancer and JW was the first one to call me and offer help, advice....etc. I was blown away but it really showed me what a stand up dude he is!....I can't thank him enough for helping me through a very stressful time! We have since become friends which is why I think this picture is probably even funnier now at least to he and I.

This picture of us was snapped at I think the 2005 boat show before he even knew who "Grads" was but I definitely knew who he was especially after watching "Rock the Boat". I was kind of star struck at the time...lol. When we starting fighting on the Hotboat forum someone took the picture of us and photoshopped us to look like twins.

Wendi
09-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Very cool!

Ziggy
09-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Pink Braclets were in back then :)

78Southwind
09-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Hilarious...

GRADS
09-20-2013, 12:58 PM
Pink Braclets were in back then :)

That was the all the beer you can drink for free bracelet at the boat show, only a select few had them. ;)

Joker
09-20-2013, 05:07 PM
Very cool Greg. That's a great picture and JW is a great person.

09-20-2013, 05:31 PM
JW is a great person.

X2 Very cool guy for sure. :thumbsUp:

GRADS
09-20-2013, 05:47 PM
I found the original pic.

Joker
09-20-2013, 05:56 PM
I found the original pic.

Excellent thread!!!!

westair
09-21-2013, 12:47 AM
Never met JW but he seems to be a good guy .... hope he's able to get back in the boat biz someday

ChumpChange
09-21-2013, 07:35 AM
I didn't realize the first pic was a chop! :tongue:

Johnny West
09-21-2013, 05:10 PM
Yesterday I was looking for pics to post in the Throwback Thursday thread and found this gem from back in the old Hotboat days.

For those of you that don't recall, JW and I had a long standing feud that started over whether or not the baby blue Ultra Shadow would do 119 m.p.h. and it escalated from there.

Fast forward to 2009 when I was diagnosed with skin cancer and JW was the first one to call me and offer help, advice....etc. I was blown away but it really showed me what a stand up dude he is!....I can't thank him enough for helping me through a very stressful time! We have since become friends which is why I think this picture is probably even funnier now at least to he and I.

This picture of us was snapped at I think the 2005 boat show before he even knew who "Grads" was but I definitely knew who he was especially after watching "Rock the Boat". I was kind of star struck at the time...lol. When we starting fighting on the Hotboat forum someone took the picture of us and photoshopped us to look like twins.

That's funny. I don't even remember that chop, good work. That was over 7 years ago, God I was a fat f*ck. I'm glad to see everything is going well with you Greg.

GRADS
09-21-2013, 05:21 PM
That's funny. I don't even remember that chop, good work. That was over 7 years ago, God I was a fat f*ck. I'm glad to see everything is going well with you Greg.

I was hoping you'd post over here.:thumb:

Stainless
09-21-2013, 05:36 PM
Hello John, we haven't met, but I know of you from your Vacuum Excavation business. Are you focused solely on that or is any boat building taking place?
Welcome to HB!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

Joker
09-21-2013, 05:39 PM
Hello John, we haven't met, but I know of you from your Vacuum Excavation business. Are you focused solely on that or is any boat building taking place?
Welcome to HB!

Good question. I thought John was involved with that beautiful Ultra at DS this year?

Johnny West
09-21-2013, 05:54 PM
Welcome to HB!

The Vac business takes up most of my time, but I am still involved with the boat design end of Ultra. Just not doing sales much anymore, only when someone wants me to design and oversee the build of their boat personally. Really not a lot of people buying boats anymore, so that's only a few times per year now. I have a few custom builds I'm working on for this winter.

RogerThat99
09-21-2013, 10:50 PM
I met JW and talked to him for awhile at the RDP After Party. Took a couple of pics with him also. He is a great guy. I hope the boat business picks up again...He has a talent for building nice boats.

sent using Tapatalk.

GRADS
09-22-2013, 08:12 AM
I met ______ and talked to him for awhile at the RDP After Party. Took a couple of pics with him also. He is a great guy. I hope the ______ business picks up again...He has a talent for building nice ______ .

sent using ______ .

Sometimes I wonder if you have formed responses and just fill in the blanks. :LMAOsmiley:

hpboats83
09-22-2013, 08:15 AM
I liked that "Rock the Boat" show!

GRADS
09-22-2013, 08:23 AM

Me too. It was cool seeing the build process and the occasional manufactured drama was kind of funny.

Johnny West
09-22-2013, 09:37 AM

I hated everything about doing the show. We wanted it to be about the boat builds and the boating life. They wanted drama and would make us do stupid shit. It was very stressful and hard on both my family and workers. When the time came to sign an extended contract my wife said it was either her or the show. As you can see, there were only four shows made and I'm still with my wife going on 22 years of marriage. I should have done the show (just kidding).

On a side note- the production company that did our show is Gurney Productions, a husband and wife team out of LA. We were their first series. They were looking to come out with a series that would be famous no matter what. They wanted to basically stage everything, all the scenes, which regrettably we had to let them do a few times, they kept referring to our contract. Well, they finally found someone to go with their plan. I actually like the show, but at least while watching it I can see that it is all staged- Duck Dynasty. They finally found their hit and just sold their company for $40 million.