PDA

View Full Version : Red Bull Flugtag - Technically a Boating Event?

ChumpChange
09-18-2013, 04:12 PM
Anybody heading to Long Beach this weekend for the Flugtag? Kids soccer game prevents me but wondering if anybody might provide some coverage for the board.

Since every participant is going to hit the water.......what type of event would this qualify as?

GotHalos
09-18-2013, 04:32 PM
I was going to start a thread about this lol. I've always wanted to check one out but heard it gets VERY crowded up there ? Hmm...

riverrunner1984
09-18-2013, 08:53 PM
Wish I was going but have plans to camp at mountain lakes in Lytle Creek this weekend. Maybe someone will go and post pics.

Bianca_Rose
09-18-2013, 10:44 PM
Im planning on going... It's a pretty fun/funny event... Watching those contraptions either fly or just fall directly into the water.

GotHalos
09-18-2013, 10:47 PM
Im planning on going... It's a pretty fun/funny event... Watching those contraptions either fly or just fall directly into the water.

Great, looking forward to the pictures! :biggrin:

LB247XS
09-18-2013, 10:49 PM
Yes I'm going on my buddies 40ft sportfisher named INTREPID. we plan on dropping anchor as close as we can.but first thing in the a.m. I am heading to the WATERSKI RACING REUNION at marine stadium for a couple hours.:thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

rivergames
09-19-2013, 07:59 AM

Hit me up if you go. My buddy and I were thinkin about checkin it out

Wendi
09-19-2013, 08:21 AM
FAST FACTS:
What does Flugtag mean?
Flugtag, which is pronounced FLOOG-TOG, means "flying day" in the German language.
What exactly is Red Bull FlUgtag?
At Red Bull Flugtag, teams of up to five people have worked for months building homemade, human-powered flying machines which one person pilots off of an elevated flight deck, through the air, and into a body of water. A panel of local and national celebrities judge teams based on three criteria - flight distance, creativity and showmanship.
How many Red Bull FlUgtags have BEEN produced?
In 1992, the first Red Bull Flugtag took place in Vienna, Austria. A decade later, Red Bull Flugtag landed in the U.S. In the years since, more than 35 Red Bull Flugtags have been held around the world.
When was the first Red Bull Flugtag produced in the united states?
The first U.S. Red Bull Flugtag was produced in October 2002 in San Francisco. Since then, Red Bull Flugtag has landed in Austin, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, Miami, Portland, Long Beach, Baltimore, Cleveland, Tempe, Nashville, Tampa Bay, the Twin Cities and Philadelphia.
What is the farthest flight in the history OF Red Bull FlUgtag?
The current record is 228 feet held by a German team from last year's competition in Mainz, Germany. The record for the farthest flight in the US currently stands at 207 feet and was set at Red Bull Flugtag Saint Paul in 2010 by team Major Trouble and the Dirty Dixies.
Where was the largest crowd?
London holds the record with more than 250,000 spectators at the 2003 event, during which Hyde Park was closed due to capacity (which has only happened one other time in history which was during a free Rolling Stones concert). Red Bull Flugtags in the U.S. have drawn crowds of 110,000 people which was recorded in Tampa Bay in 2008.
What are the rules?
All crafts must be human-powered - no engines or external energy sources allowed. Prefabricated crafts will not be accepted. Each craft must be less than 28-feet wide and not more than 400 lbs. (including the pilot), and craft pilots must be at least 18 years old.
HOw are the team's selected to particpate?
Red Bull Flugtag is a single day of high-flying thrills, so the number of pilots is limited. A special events committee chose teams based on their application and follow-up interviews.
What do the planes typically look like?
How much imagination do you have? Red Bull Flugtag flying machines range from realistic plane replicas to anything the imagination can conjure up. This year in Chicago, crafts will include Alice and her friends down the rabbit hole, a few firemen, some superheroes, a great pair of high heels, a couple of glittery dancers, and many more surprises. To gain more showmanship points, participants wear outrageous costumes, act out skits, and create their own music soundtracks for the flight. Past crafts for Red Bull Flugtag events have included a Flying Purple People Eater, Santa and his sleigh, a flying toilet and even a flying cheeseburger.

Wendi
09-23-2013, 02:04 PM
Anyone go? Pics??

LB247XS
09-23-2013, 02:15 PM
I went it was a great time

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/24/te4egu4y.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/24/uta7a4eh.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/24/6e4emy5u.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/24/yzu2uja3.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

314joey
09-23-2013, 02:27 PM
They had one event of these in Miaimi this past weekend and they showed some of them on the news, looked like a great time and the planes/boats where crazy.