PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk oil filters

gn7
09-18-2013, 03:01 AM
Seems some here think that there are dozens and dozens of companies making lead acid car/boat/ truck batteries

So what oil filter are you using, and who do you THINK makes it. And is that company a USA company or a foreign company? Not where the filter is made, but WHO is it that owns the company making YOUR filter??

Based on the battery thread, I think some of you will be surprised!!

Joker
09-18-2013, 04:07 AM
Wix, and I'm not sure who makes it.

Stainless
09-18-2013, 04:47 AM
Fram from Walmart, thought I would just go ahead and be the first one for the sacrifice. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

314joey
09-18-2013, 05:53 AM
Fram from Walmart, thought I would just go ahead and be the first one for the sacrifice. :D

Me too, Fram PH30, when you change your oil every twenty hours I'm not spending $20 on a oil filter. Sorry, it's 2x$20=$40 bucks

gn7
09-18-2013, 05:58 AM

:happy: Your already knew where that's headed.:happy:

Over on RDP awhile back Riverbound said if you don't run Lucas oil it means you hate your boat.
I could say the same about Fram and be much more correct than he is. But we'll just leave it there for now and see how many others post up what they are using. But I'll start by saying that Fram is not an American company.:no:

westair
09-18-2013, 06:35 AM
K&N mostly but have used others that are on sale but never Fram.

RVR SWPR
09-18-2013, 07:08 AM
Baldwin

SBS933
09-18-2013, 07:15 AM
I just switched over to K&N

gn7
09-18-2013, 07:58 AM
Me too, Fram PH30, when you change your oil every twenty hours I'm not spending $20 on a oil filter. Sorry, it's 2x$20=$40 bucks

Never ran a Fram, and never paid 20.00 for a filter. Even if every filter on the market was 25.00, I still wouldn't run a Fram. And I run two filters as well. I guess the idea of not having a filter and engine failure is worth more than that to me.
Hey, at least you didn't go with the short, tiniest filter Fram makes. The PH3592(PH35) is a little smaller, and only belongs a Vega.
Never let anybody ever tell you a larger filter will flow more oil. That's total bullshit. They all flow the same.:speechless-smiley-0

http://www.performanceboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=135363&d=1318830951
http://www.performanceboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=135364&d=1318830988

She's Mine
09-18-2013, 08:04 AM
Ok, what is bad about Fram oil filters. I have ran the HP4 for years but the new power has the HP6. Not trying to start any crap just maybe a little naive about this. I have been wanting to change over to Wix since that is the mfg of the fuel filter I use.

Thanks in advance for teaching...

314joey
09-18-2013, 08:06 AM
Never ran a Fram, and never paid 20.00 for a filter. Even if every filter on the market was 25.00, I still wouldn't run a Fram. And I run two filters as well. I guess the idea of have a filter and engine failure is worth more than that to me.

I try to buy as much American stuff as I can too, I don't know how anyone runs their boat, I only know mine and I don't run it hard, the Mercruiser filters are three times more expensive as Frams,
I've been using them in my boats for thirty years and have never had a failure due to the oil or filter, but I change my oil more frequently than most, I appreciate your passion, but like everything else in this world "to each his own"

76Bonneville
09-18-2013, 08:09 AM
Used to run Fram Racing, but switched to K&N a few years ago when I heard Fram changed up there internals.

hoofy
09-18-2013, 08:11 AM
Baldwin B7

WESTERNAERO
09-18-2013, 08:52 AM
GN7, I would like to know what micron the filters are that you run. You said you run 2, are they the same micron? Or are they staged from large to small?

gn7
09-18-2013, 08:56 AM
Lets see, do we go with paper end caps, or metal? MMMmmmmm, that's a tough one!:speechless-smiley-0
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a270/Khawching/FramvsNapa-Wix.jpg

Pleat count, or total amount of filter media in the orange can Fram is kind of sad too.
But hey, if you save 20 bucks a year, what the hell.

Stainless
09-18-2013, 09:01 AM
Lets see, do we go with paper end caps, or metal? MMMmmmmm, that's a tough one!:speechless-smiley-0
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a270/Khawching/FramvsNapa-Wix.jpg

Pleat count, or total amount of filter media in the orange can Fram is kind of sad too.
But hey, if you save 20 bucks a year, what the hell.
gn7, you definately have the facts to back up your claims, but your commentary is funny and the best part of your posts. :D

314joey
09-18-2013, 09:07 AM
Dahm, does someone sell NAPA parts :happy: thanks for trying to help a brother out.

Who knows if one filter had 100 hours on it and the other had ten hours on it, I'm guessing your saying they both had the same hours on them.

WESTERNAERO
09-18-2013, 09:08 AM
I think GN7's main objective with these types of deals is to get people to think for themselves. Do some research and don't believe the hype of the sales people or adds. I enjoy reading his "facts and absolutes" as somebody said.

314joey
09-18-2013, 09:11 AM
I think GN7's main objective with these types of deals is to get people to think for themselves. Do some research and don't believe the hype of the sales people or adds. I enjoy reading his "facts and absolutes" as somebody said.

I apprectiate it too, it's more of the anger included with it.

WESTERNAERO
09-18-2013, 09:13 AM
Yeah I hear ya, kind of reminds me of my family. Old rodeo cowboys, tough and hard.

314joey
09-18-2013, 09:18 AM
I really do appreciate people sharing info, but delivery is 75% of the battle;

I've got a older Brother who is very smart about a lot of stuff, but when he tries to tell you something he does it in such a way you tune him out, he's very opinionated and if you don't instantly agree with him and say yes almighty Leo, he gets all pissy and angry, that's not the way to go about helping or explaining things to people, BTW, we don't get along very well as you can imagine.

gn7
09-18-2013, 09:23 AM
Not angry at all. I could not care any less what filter anybody runs, so long as the POS isn't on my engine. I love it when I see competitors running Fram. Maybe it will fold up on thire asses and give us another win. I take wins anyway I can get them, even if its due to the other guys ignorance. :happy:

WESTERNAERO
09-18-2013, 09:25 AM
So you're running Napa filters on the race boat, yes? Are both filters the same?

gn7
09-18-2013, 09:28 AM
GN7, I would like to know what micron the filters are that you run. You said you run 2, are they the same micron? Or are they staged from large to small?

I run K&N and they have about a 15-20 micron rating. I am considering changing back to Wix.Nothing wrong with K&Ns NOW, but the company that makes them was bought by Fram, and they are starting to make some of the worse filter out there. K&Ns are still damn good filters, but I have to wonder for how long.
I run 2 in parallel, so the oil is split between the 2 of them, mainly to lower the flow restriction. The filter mount to the oil cooler, and it uses 2 filters. More for the cooler than the fact that it uses 2 filters.

WESTERNAERO
09-18-2013, 09:30 AM
Okay, I was thinking they were in line, that's why I asked about the micron going from large to small.

WESTERNAERO
09-18-2013, 09:36 AM
I run K&N and they have about a 15-20 micron rating. I am considering changing back to Wix.Nothing wrong with K&Ns NOW, but the company that makes them was bought by Fram, and they are starting to make some of the worse filter out there. K&Ns are still damn good filters, but I have to wonder for how long.
I run 2 in parallel, so the oil is split between the 2 of them, mainly to lower the flow restriction. The filter mount to the oil cooler, and it uses 2 filters. More for the cooler than the fact that it uses 2 filters.
Why do you have a PTO bolted on the crank?

gn7
Okay, I was thinking they were in line, that's why I asked about the micron going from large to small.

We will be building a 540 for a recreational boat this winter, and it will use a large micron filter that will double as a "return loop" from an oil cooler that is open on both ends, and uses a oil filter to loop the oil back thru the cooler. So the oil passes thru the cooler, thru the filter, and back thru the cooler. Going to be using a System 1, 70 micron stainless permanent filter on it, then the oil will pass thru a filter mounted on the block, and into the engine.

Xmotor
I've always used a Wix 51061R racing filter with no problems, but then I can't remember ever having a problem with any filter on anything I've had.

gn7
09-18-2013, 09:37 AM
:biggrin:

I'd tell you, but then.....

dual props? V drive/jet hybrid?

gn7
09-18-2013, 09:42 AM
I've always used a Wix 51061R racing filter with no problems, but then I can't remember ever having a problem with any filter on anything I've had.

If I was you, and you do not race, and you do not change you oil every time you take the boat out, I would seriously consider not using that filter. It is hands down the best racing filter on the market, and I would NEVER run one. Do you run it because you like the idea of running a filter that's "RACING" on it? Some racing labeled things are good, some aren't even really racing anything, just a word. In the case of the Wix R filter, it IS a racing filter, and its NOT the best choice for a non racing boat. Its not even the best choice for a lot of boats that do race.

314joey
09-18-2013, 09:46 AM
I'm not some high powered boat racer, we just take our slow heavy V-hull out for some family recreation on the weekends, thing barely goes 70mph WOT which is like dragging a anchor compared to your boat, I'll ask my engine guy if he thinks with me changing the oil and filters so much if I should upgrade the filters, thanks for the info.

WESTERNAERO
09-18-2013, 09:51 AM
Here we go again, making these guys do some homework. Why don't you just tell them why. You know you're going to get them all pissed at you.:D

gn7
09-18-2013, 09:59 AM
Here we go again, making these guys do some homework. Why don't you just tell them why. You know you're going to get them all pissed at you.:D

About the PTO??? or the Wix Racing filter:D

Have you seen the micron rating for a Wix Racing filter. Would YOU run one?

LINK: Wix R filter specs (http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=51060R)

WESTERNAERO
09-18-2013, 10:00 AM
About the PTO??? or the Wix Racing filter:D

Have you seen the micron rating for a Wix Racing filter. Would YOU run one?

LINK: Wix R filter specs (http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=51060R)

The "racing" filter.

gn7
09-18-2013, 10:09 AM
I you run "racing oil" do you need a "racing" filter? :hmmm:

WESTERNAERO
09-18-2013, 10:11 AM
I you run "racing oil" do you need a "racing" filter? :hmmm:

Oh for fuck sake! :biggrin:

Mitch
09-18-2013, 10:11 AM
This is what I use.
http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz123/mitchell7067/AA2F8BE9-260C-4A2F-9A16-AB12A4D96B09-4861-00000380AFE8FFC1_zps78291ce2.jpg (http://s820.photobucket.com/user/mitchell7067/media/AA2F8BE9-260C-4A2F-9A16-AB12A4D96B09-4861-00000380AFE8FFC1_zps78291ce2.jpg.html)

WESTERNAERO
09-18-2013, 10:14 AM
How many microns is the hat?

Mitch
09-18-2013, 10:20 AM
How many microns is the hat?

LOL not sure the hat belongs to Rioracr ...

gn7
09-18-2013, 10:28 AM
I like the Canton filter setup. Little spendy, but nice setup. Never been able to find out who makes the elements. They are kind of unique.
There is SOME hype from Canton about them. Like they are unaffected by water. that's bullshit, all oil filters are effected by water to some degree, but synthetic media filters do handle it quite abit better than paper. They also say that they have ZERO pressure drop, which defies physics, but they do flow pretty damn good with MINIMAL pressure drop.
Glad to see you don't use the little peanut size media. Some people just don't get the idea of media surface area and flow. NICE PIECE!!!

28eliminator
09-18-2013, 10:35 AM
:D This should be interesting...

WESTERNAERO
09-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Amsoil makes a filter? Did not know that.

gn7
09-18-2013, 11:08 AM
So heres the filter manufactures break down. Pick em anyway you like.

Fram, Champion Labs, and Luberfiner are all owned by Rank Group out of New Zealand. The number of companies Rank Group owns would blow your mind, including Autolite, Airtex fuel pumps, Prestone, and Wells auto electronics.
Champion Labs make K&N, Mobil 1, some Amsoil, Moroso, Jomar, Bosch, Royal Purple, AC Delco, Wally Worlds Super Tech, and a dozen or so generic name econo filters.
AC Delco, Bosch, Super Tech, K&N Black "Pro" and ""commercial" professional express oil change outlet filters are all made off Champion's E Core line and they MAY be the worse filter out there. Even worse than Fram orange can if that's possible.
K&N white hi po, Mobil 1, Amsoil, Royal Purple, Moroso, Jomar are made on a different line and are damn good filters. FOR NOW! Hard to say if "Fram" will cheapen up the line, or if FRAM will get better from the purchase of Champion.

Baldwin, Hastings and Purolator. All owned by Clarcor, who's largest stock holder is Mann+Hummel of Germany.
Baldwin ONLY makes top line filters. No junk, and some newer synthetic filters for extended use that are pretty damn good. Hastings is a pretty decent filter and the company caters to fleets and commercial use. Purolater's Pure One is a pretty good filter, and they make Motorcrafts. Other Purolators can be iffy. They are beginning to cheapen the lower line, which is becoming more and more common. Stick with the Pure One or Motorcraft if you are going to run Purolator.

Wix is 100% American owed. They make NAPA and CARQUEST. NO JUNK!

Stainless
09-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Bob's got a captive audience, he's on a roll now. :D

gn7
09-18-2013, 11:12 AM
Amsoil SELLS an oil filter with their name on it they don't make it. It can be made my either Champion Lab, or Wix depending on which filter it is. All of Amsoil's filter are good, some are even better. Their EaO line of filters is a extended use, long drain interval filter and as good as they get. Not the best performance filter due to its flow rate, but it is a great filter for your daily driver. The Royal Purple filter is very similar and made by the same company.

HB Vic
09-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Back open

Mitch
09-18-2013, 01:42 PM
GN7 you mentioned a little about green oil whats your thought on Brad Penn HP oil ?

K-034
09-18-2013, 02:33 PM
[QUOTE=gn7;32535]Never ran a Fram, and never paid 20.00 for a filter. Even if every filter on the market was 25.00, I still wouldn't run a Fram. And I run two filters as well. I guess the idea of not having a filter and engine failure is worth more than that to me.
Hey, at least you didn't go with the short, tiniest filter Fram makes. The PH3592(PH35) is a little smaller, and only belongs a Vega.
Never let anybody ever tell you a larger filter will flow more oil. That's total bullshit. They all flow the same.:speechless-smiley-0

http://www.performanceboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=135363&d=1318830951

Same thing happen to us with a FRAM, I use WIX racing and had never had a problem in the K-boat

rivergames
09-18-2013, 03:39 PM
I use WIX in the cracker and my schiada