PDA

View Full Version : Lets Talk Batteries

niceguyeddie
09-17-2013, 06:50 PM
Boat currently has 3 Interstates. Two of which are shot (stereo batts) and need replaced, so I figure I'll just replace all three now. Should I stick with what I've got or switch it up? Optimas?

Stainless
09-17-2013, 06:52 PM
I'm sure there will be disagreement, but I like Optimas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

niceguyeddie
09-17-2013, 06:55 PM
I'm sure there will be disagreement, but I like Optimas.

I've ran them in the past and never had issues that I can recall.

If I were to go Optima... Should I go one blue for starting and yellow tops for stereo?

ChumpChange
09-17-2013, 06:58 PM
Go pick up a couple Lifelines at Battery Sales Unlimited in Goendora.

riverrunner1984
09-17-2013, 07:06 PM
I bought 2 batteries at costco for the boat. They were only $75 each and come with a 30month warranty.
I figure for $75 if they last a couple years, I am happy!

niceguyeddie
09-17-2013, 07:08 PM
Go pick up a couple Lifelines at Battery Sales Unlimited in Goendora.

Are those the same size as Interstates? Or will I need new battery boxes?

niceguyeddie
09-17-2013, 07:09 PM
I bought 2 batteries at costco for the boat. They were only $75 each and come with a 30month warranty.
I figure for $75 if they last a couple years, I am happy!

Do you run a big stereo?

riverrunner1984
09-17-2013, 07:14 PM
That is a negative, but I used to run a big one with 6 6x9 and 2 JL W6 10" subs and the batteries still died.
I told myself, on my next boat, I want to get one of the Honda Generators installed and vented to run a HUGE stereo.

Stainless
09-17-2013, 07:19 PM
I've ran them in the past and never had issues that I can recall.

If I were to go Optima... Should I go one blue for starting and yellow tops for stereo?

If you decide on Optima, they make a blue top starting and a blue top deep cycle.
Starting has dark gray body and deep cycle has light gray body. Sams club has best prices I know of.

WMC
09-17-2013, 07:32 PM
Optima for me. last pair from 05-13 blue top. 2 JL amps.

28eliminator
09-17-2013, 07:40 PM
I have 2 group 27... wait for it... DURALAST :biggrin: for my stereo and cabin electrical.

1 group 24 of the same for the Boat/engine.

They seem to last about 3 to 4 years, have fantastic power, and are always warrantied :thumbup:... oh yeah, and they're cheap.

Joker
09-17-2013, 08:43 PM
My batteries are 3 years old and never have an issue.

gn7
09-17-2013, 08:52 PM
So how many companies do you figure are making batteries in this country today?
Who do you figure is making Interstate batteries? Interstate?
If you have a Interstate dealer near you, and you are considering Optimas, I would consider an Interstate AGM. Interstate tends to honor their warranty better than Optima. SAME FLIPPIN BATTERY

niceguyeddie
09-17-2013, 08:59 PM
If you have a Interstate dealer near you, and you are considering Optimas, I would consider an Interstate AGM. Interstate tends to honor their warranty better than Optima. SAME FLIPPIN BATTERY

Really? Same battery?

ChumpChange
09-17-2013, 09:01 PM
Are those the same size as Interstates? Or will I need new battery boxes?

Mike at Battery Sales will know.

Quite a few, including the one I mentioned.

Bobby V
09-17-2013, 09:03 PM
My Optimas lasted over 8 years. blue tops

Bobby V
09-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Really? Same battery?

First I ever heard that.

DC-88
09-17-2013, 09:05 PM

Yup, basically same thing I was told recently by my buddy who sells Interstate when I got 2 for my truck . Of course he was closed a few weeks later the day I realized I wanted to replace the boat battery so I bought the blue top Optima from the closest Auto Parts store......

WOTM
09-17-2013, 09:35 PM
Interstate is what we use and sell. Our interstate delivery truck is always stocked with the optima line and the driver has told me there not worth the money....
With that said, I have always had good luck with Interstate and easy to work with warranty wise

throttle
09-17-2013, 09:36 PM
My batteries are 3 years old and never have an issue.

EZ, I just said the same thing this weekend and guess who got a new interstate yesterday ... Me me me.

gn7
09-17-2013, 10:00 PM
Really? Same battery?
Same battery. Been using them since 2002, replacing them every 3 years because we can't afford to have one fail. Usually take the old out of the boat and cycle it into a road vehicle. and replace it with the next one out of the boat. Failed one battery inside that 3 years and luckily that was in the pits between races. Can't remember exactly what Interstate gave me for a pro rate, but I wasn't disappointed.
Sometimes the batteries have "INTERSTATE" on them, some times they are "OPTIMA" But when it comes to a warranty, I will deal with a Interstate dealer any time over a Optima dealer.
GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE:
LINK: Interstate Batteries (http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/Content.aspx?dsNav=Ntk~SearchGroup|marine|3|)

Mike at Battery Sales will know.

Quite a few, including the one I mentioned.

Anything I can count on two hands and have fingers left over, I don't consider quite a few. There in only ONE lead smelter in the entire United States, and only one battery company using 100% virgin lead in their batteries, and it NOT Lifeline. They are the ONLY company supply the United States government and military with critical power, UPS batteries. And they do make a car/boat battery.

Every other battery company in the country uses mixture of virgin and recycled lead or 100% recycled lead, that they get from the same company. Not that its bad. Interstate batteries, including their AGMs and as well as Optimas and LIFELINE, all use the same lead supplier, and their batteries work just fine.
But there are not that many companies making batteries for car, boats and trucks. Far less than you would think. Far less than there was. Its the ECOLOGY issue

The name of that company is Enersys, and they make car, boat batteries under the name Odyssey. I don't use them because I like dealing with my Interstate dealer and they haven't let me down yet.

Paul65K
09-17-2013, 10:12 PM
The batteries at Costco these days are Interstate brand specifically made for Costco and carry a great warranty.....easy at Costco, no hassles if there's a problem and are around $80 each.

I get 4 years out of my batteries (have 2) but I always have them on a desulfation charger/maintainer and they easily last 4 years......I just replace one every 2 years just to keep them fresh........$40 a year for batteries is cheap insurance to always make sure you're ready to go on the water.......life's too short for a dead battery :D

gn7
09-17-2013, 10:22 PM
That's my point. If its a decent battery, then WHO you buy it from can be as important or more so, than what battery you are buying. Costco has always proven to be a great company to deal with as far was warranty.
BTW, Interstate doesn't manufacture a battery. They provide batteries under private labels and warranty them. But they only distribute batteries like 90% of the others out there with their name on a battery.

But with Costco, you have kind of a double whammey warranty, with Costco backing it, as well as Interstate. Both whos entire reputation is built around their products and customer service.

Paul65K
09-17-2013, 10:27 PM
Fair enough.....Interstate batteries (as well as Walmart batteries) are all made by Johnson Controls :thumb:

Bobby V
09-17-2013, 10:28 PM
Same battery. Been using them since 2002, replacing them every 3 years because we can't afford to have one fail. Usually take the old out of the boat and cycle it into a road vehicle. and replace it with the next one out of the boat. Failed one battery inside that 3 years and luckily that was in the pits between races. Can't remember exactly what Interstate gave me for a pro rate, but I wasn't disappointed.
Sometimes the batteries have "INTERSTATE" on them, some times they are "OPTIMA" But when it comes to a warranty, I will deal with a Interstate dealer any time over a Optima dealer.
GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE:
LINK: Interstate Batteries (http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/Content.aspx?dsNav=Ntk~SearchGroup|marine|3|)

Anything I can count on two hands and have fingers left over, I don't consider quite a few. There in only ONE lead smelter in the entire United States, and only one battery company using 100% virgin lead in their batteries, and it NOT Lifeline. They are the ONLY company supply the United States government and military with critical power, UPS batteries. And they do make a car/boat battery.

Every other battery company in the country uses mixture of virgin and recycled lead or 100% recycled lead, that they get from the same company. Not that its bad. Interstate batteries, including their AGMs and as well as Optimas and LIFELINE, all use the same lead supplier, and their batteries work just fine.
But there are not that many companies making batteries for car, boats and trucks. Far less than you would think. Far less than there was. Its the ECOLOGY issue

The name of that company is Enersys, and they make car, boat batteries under the name Odyssey. I don't use them because I like dealing with my Interstate dealer and they haven't let me down yet..

Only one lead smelter. What about Exides lead smelter in Vernon, Ca. Yes they are having some legal issues. They owe my company 20k. But they are hoping to work things out soon. I hope.

gn7
09-17-2013, 10:51 PM
As are Optimas

ChumpChange
09-17-2013, 10:52 PM
They are the ONLY company supply the United States government and military with critical power, UPS batteries. And they do make a car/boat battery.

The name of that company is Enersys, and they make car, boat batteries under the name Odyssey. I don't use them because I like dealing with my Interstate dealer and they haven't let me down yet.

lol. You shouldn't use absolutes. They are not the ONLY one.

gn7
09-17-2013, 10:52 PM
Fair enough.....Interstate batteries (as well as Walmart batteries) are all made by Johnson Controls :thumb:

As are all Optimas

gn7
09-17-2013, 10:54 PM
Melting aluminum in a foundry DOES NOT make you a aluminum producer. It means you have the capability of melting aluminum, and pouring it.
Edelbrock, or American Wheels, or Buddy Bar casting, or any other FOUNDRY, NEVER made on ounce of aluminum, they melt it and pour it. They do not refine it.
I can pour aluminum in my back yard and have over charcoal with a blower, melting aluminum cans.
'If I gave you 10,000 and year, and supplied you the bauxite, you couldn't produce me a single pound of aluminum. Very few companies can.
Steel mills are NOT steel producers. They DO NOT need a blast furnace to MILL STEEL
Lead "milling" is no different. Do you see the difference??

Melting and forming lead plate DOES NOT, make you a smelter. There is NO lead Smelting plant in Vernon!!!!!
That's as crazy as saying there is a steel blast furnace in downdown Los Anegles.
There is NO company in Vernon or anywhere else in Calif taking this shit and making batteries!!!
http://img.bosscdn.com/photo/product/392b05d4bfa5daa6d94dfc2d5075d9f9/lead-ore.jpg

Is there POSSIBLY some tiny ass company out there smelting a few thousand pounds of lead? Possibly, but I doubt it, and NO battery company is depending on them to supply them with the MILLIONS of TONS of lead they need every year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doe_Run_Company

gn7
09-17-2013, 11:36 PM
This a video of Enersys/ Odyssey making batteries.

NOWHERE IN THIS VIDEO ARE THEY SMELTING LEAD!!!
Ever hear of East Penn Batteries?? NO? Chances are you have bought one and never knew it. One of the largest and oldest manufactures of lead acid car batteries in the country!! NEVER SMELTED A SINGLE OUNCE OF LEAD!!!
This is the same basic process every beattery company in the country uses when producing a battery. Making a battery DOES NOT REQUIRE YOU TO SMELT LEAD!!, any more than it requires you to mine it!!!
I guess next somebody is going to tell me that Exide mines their fucking lead as well. Probably in Compton or Inglewood!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2Eg6LRNEVY

gn7
09-18-2013, 12:02 AM
lol. You shouldn't use absolutes. They are not the ONLY one.

You are correct, Exide does supply some critical use UPS batteries for the US government.
It would have been more correct to say that all the lead for US government critical use UPS batteries comes from ONE supplier. EXIDE doesn't smelt virgin lead!!!
The US government specifications for ALL CRITICAL USE UPS batteries requires all of them to get the lead from the same supplier. There is just no getting around it.

It would have been more correct to say that ONE company is the supplier of the lead that goes into ALL CRITICAL USE UPS batteries for the US government, And that company is Doe Run AKA Enersys AKA Odyssey.
If you know of another company smelting 99.9% pure virgin lead, I love to hear about it, because as far as I know, Doe Run has a head lock on the lead industry in this country.
While you listing ALL those lead mining/smelting plants, maybe you could list all the companies that refine bauxite to pure virgin aluminum as well. If you think pure virgin lead or aluminum isn't a big deal, ask yourself if you want you next set of $1000.00 2618 pistons, or Dart or Brodix heads made of beer cans, melted frying pans and recycled car wheels.

Unforgiven
09-18-2013, 07:16 AM
We use to run OPTIMA's in the Warlock then the Eliminator..but when we rerigged the Eliminator, we picked Odyssey's..2 BIG MOFO's installed under the backseat so we could access..The first set of OPTIMAS worked great for 5 years years..when we replaced with new set..the second set sucked...When we sold the Warlock, the new owner got 4 Optimas in the deal..we took 2 back to NAPA and they replaced no questions asked..It's a roll of the dice with the Blue Tops..reds and yellows seem to last quite a while...

SBS933
09-18-2013, 07:19 AM
optimas are all I use. I use the red starters. The optima yellows suck. Get the blue ones for starting and stereo with amp.

gn7
09-18-2013, 07:52 AM
The only Optimas I have ever used are the Red because the only thing it has to do is start the engine. The blues are probably better suited to starting and extended use like a stereo. Never found a reason to use the yellows. Don't know anybody that has.

I'd use the Odyssey, but I like the relationship we have with the Interstate dealer, and he has always taken great care of us.

Bobby V
09-18-2013, 08:02 AM
Melting aluminum in a foundry DOES NOT make you a aluminum producer. It means you have the capability of melting aluminum, and pouring it.
Edelbrock, or American Wheels, or Buddy Bar casting, or any other FOUNDRY, NEVER made on ounce of aluminum, they melt it and pour it. They do not refine it.
I can pour aluminum in my back yard and have over charcoal with a blower, melting aluminum cans.
'If I gave you 10,000 and year, and supplied you the bauxite, you couldn't produce me a single pound of aluminum. Very few companies can.
Steel mills are NOT steel producers. They DO NOT need a blast furnace to MILL STEEL
Lead "milling" is no different. Do you see the difference??

Melting and forming lead plate DOES NOT, make you a smelter. There is NO lead Smelting plant in Vernon!!!!!
That's as crazy as saying there is a steel blast furnace in downdown Los Anegles.
There is NO company in Vernon or anywhere else in Calif taking this shit and making batteries!!!
http://img.bosscdn.com/photo/product/392b05d4bfa5daa6d94dfc2d5075d9f9/lead-ore.jpg

Is there POSSIBLY some tiny ass company out there smelting a few thousand pounds of lead? Possibly, but I doubt it, and NO battery company is depending on them to supply them with the MILLIONS of TONS of lead they need every year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doe_Run_Company

Oh Really....

http://www.recyclingtoday.com/exide-vernon-lead-smelter-compliance.aspx

HB Vic
09-18-2013, 08:06 AM
Oh Really....

http://www.recyclingtoday.com/exide-vernon-lead-smelter-compliance.aspx

I think that pretty much confirms what he said :D

HB Vic
09-18-2013, 08:08 AM
There is a place in Henderson that, from what I remember, produces most of the stuff to manufacturer batteries. Kerr-McGee if I remember correctly. Nastiest place I've ever worked at.

WESTERNAERO
09-18-2013, 08:47 AM
2 Odyssey 925's. Never been happier. Small, light weight, powerful and can take a beating.

gn7
09-18-2013, 09:05 AM
recycling and MELTING lead is not SMELTING!!!!

Again, any dumb ass can melt lead. Any dumbass can recycle lead. All it takes is heat.

NOW how many places do you know doing this????
100% virgin, 99.99% pure lead!
Can you do this in your back yard> Is Exide doing this in Vernon???

How long this place remains open is hard to say, but they are after it big time! If and when it closes, NEW lead will be just another IMPORT we are dependent on from foreign countries, BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT DOING THIS IN VERNON, OR HENDERSON, OR ANY PLACE ELSE ANY WHERE ELSE, at a scale even approaching this.
In fact Doe Run now has a lead mine and smelting plant in Peru anticipating the closure of this place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3inO8GJe7EI

Just Electric
09-18-2013, 09:09 AM
i used to run optimas til 2 summers ago and had to replace 2 of them dropping a cell.then a buddys just did it in his vdrive and had to have the tow of shame from me in my jet

HB Vic
09-18-2013, 11:30 AM
I've had enough of this.

HB Vic
09-18-2013, 01:31 PM
Back open now.

gn7
09-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Back open now.

Too much drama?

Time for this BUFFOON to go back to school and get re-educated. I must have forgot half of everything I learned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smelting

Never knew it was the same thing as recycling. I guess recycling oil is the same a REFINING. :speechless-smiley-0

Have fun, it was great while it lasted:action-smiley-069:

Unforgiven
09-18-2013, 02:16 PM
Too much drama?

Time for this BUFFOON to go back to school and get re-educated. I must have forgot half of everything I learned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smelting

Never knew it was the same thing as recycling. I guess recycling oil is the same a REFINING. :speechless-smiley-0

Have fun, it was great while it lasted:action-smiley-069:

GN7/Bob, don't go anywhere yet...I was wanting to start a Canfield 310cc debate.....

Mitch
09-18-2013, 02:19 PM
Batterys are rated at a ambient temp of around 65 degrees , I found the hard way that optima blues dont like heat under a hatch with poor ventalation you may find fully charged they are only 70 percent or less in the heat . You never really no how good a battery is until you max the load and see what it does , just cause it lasts for years doesnt mean its a high quality unit . It still may turn over your blown injected rat in 120 degree heat at 70 percent output but there are other batteries that the ambient temp does not affect as much, Interstate is one of them .

314joey
09-18-2013, 02:21 PM
I guess I shouldn't say I bought my batteries at Wally World then should I :shock:
no, I didn't, just kidding.

Mitch
09-18-2013, 02:23 PM
I guess I shouldn't say I bought my batteries at Wally World then should I :shock:

A group by on OSO ? :)

niceguyeddie
09-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Back open now.

This thread got locked? Lol.

I just want battery advice, not a science lesson.

WMC
09-18-2013, 05:35 PM

See post 10.

sent from WMC's phone

rivergames
09-18-2013, 05:46 PM
2 Odyssey 925's. Never been happier. Small, light weight, powerful and can take a beating.

I use the same in my schiada. 2 925's are the same weight as 1 Optima Blue Top

Joker
09-18-2013, 05:50 PM
I'm sure mine are some cheapos but they keep cranking

H2oSki2Fast
09-18-2013, 05:50 PM

You can't make a good decision, without making an informed decision. With that said, I wouldn't put much into what people say on the forums, most (not all) have little practical knowledge, just what they have read on the boards.

ChumpChange
09-18-2013, 06:14 PM

If we all already knew everything, what would be the fun of forums?

Just Electric
09-18-2013, 08:22 PM
GN7/Bob, don't go anywhere yet...I was wanting to start a Canfield 310cc debate.....

You two want a time out don't ya 😜

mjc
09-18-2013, 09:07 PM
Mine are from wally World(really) right now they are 6 years old and still going strong,, never had a charger on them. just replaced my K5 blazer battery from Wally world and found out it was 9years 11 months old.

Unforgiven
09-18-2013, 09:11 PM
You two want a time out don't ya ��

nope...I had my time out....I'm back from Vacation...Bob and I got new sets of Canfields..But Scott like mine better than his..my flow alot better....This should get GN7 back...

Paul65K
09-18-2013, 09:15 PM
I use the same in my schiada. 2 925's are the same weight as 1 Optima Blue Top
My boat's so freakin' fast it would just fly away if I used those lightweight batteries :D

hpboats83
09-18-2013, 09:27 PM
I've run the Diehard batteries for the last 6 years in my boat and have been very impressed; however, I don't have a big stereo, actually I don't have a stereo at all!