PDA

View Full Version : I40 paving question

Joker
09-16-2013, 07:39 AM
As they are repaving the 40, why would they not bring the new asphalt up even with the concrete bridge spans? The transitions are horrible.

Adrift
09-16-2013, 07:57 AM
I've been wondering the same, If your going 70+mph through Needles you'll get moved over a little bit on one of the turns, this is where it makes sense to slow to 60mph, but when you get to Ludlow, you have 25+ miles of brand spankin new HWY posted 60mph. There's one 60mph sign right after the west bound rest area that said END 60mph for the longest time, until somebody scratched it out "END". I used to jump right back up to 75-78 after seeing that, then see a 60mph sign posted by the Military Base im like WTF. :shock:

Stainless
09-16-2013, 08:52 AM
As they are repaving the 40, why would they not bring the new asphalt up even with the concrete bridge spans? The transitions are horrible.
Hey Joker, just going from what you describe, there may be another layer to go on. However there should be temporary transitions long enough to accomodate whatever speed limit they have posted. In other words the motoring public shouldn't be suffering vehicle damage if your traveling the posted speed limit. I'm in the buisiness, hope it's not the company I work for. :shock:

Stainless
09-16-2013, 08:57 AM
BTW, where is this taking place? A complaint to ADOT or CALTRANS should get a remedy very quickly as they dont like claims. Claims usually get pushed to the contractor.

Joker
09-16-2013, 09:25 AM
BTW, where is this taking place? A complaint to ADOT or CALTRANS should get a remedy very quickly as they dont like claims. Claims usually get pushed to the contractor.

Either way on the 40 west of Needles for about 60 miles. There is one that I hit every time and it feels like my front wheels are going to come off either on the approach or drop off.

Joker
09-16-2013, 09:43 AM

Excellent advice. Just spoke with the guy from Cal Trans heading that project. He is going to address it with the contractor and asked me to call him next week if its not corrected. He had no idea why they don't make it an even transition all in the same pass.

Paul65K
09-16-2013, 09:57 AM
Either way on the 40 west of Needles for about 60 miles. There is one that I hit every time and it feels like my front wheels are going to come off either on the approach or drop off.
Well......here is the result if you get behind a big truck when they have it down to 1 lane and the speed limit is still 60.....SUCKS and cost me $250 and the insurance company about $1000..........they are apparently going after CalTrans to get me my $250 back :angry:

Joker
09-16-2013, 10:23 AM
Well......here is the result if you get behind a big truck when they have it down to 1 lane and the speed limit is still 60.....SUCKS and cost me $250 and the insurance company about $1000..........they are apparently going after CalTrans to get me my $250 back :angry:

Paul, is that from one of these pavement deals? If so, I can get you the contact at Cal Trans I just spoke to.

Paul65K
09-16-2013, 10:44 AM
Paul, is that from one of these pavement deals? If so, I can get you the contact at Cal Trans I just spoke to.This was actually a pothole probably 1.5 - 2" deep.......hit it at 60 on the way to the Vegas turnoff from Havasu and drove all the way to Vegas with no shimmy or shake.....didn't see it till we got out of the car and said Holy F*** :yikes:

Adrift
09-16-2013, 10:49 AM

From W. Park Rd. east to E. Broadway St. the seams are pretty bad traveling east and west through that section.

HB Vic
09-16-2013, 10:50 AM
This was actually a pothole probably 1.5 - 2" deep.......hit it at 60 on the way to the Vegas turnoff from Havasu and drove all the way to Vegas with no shimmy or shake.....didn't see it till we got out of the car and said Holy F*** :yikes:

Wow that sucks. 99.99% the contractor dropped the ball. I'm sure Caltrans has their butt covered.

Paul65K
09-16-2013, 10:52 AM
Wow that sucks. 99.99% the contractor dropped the ball. I'm sure Caltrans has their butt covered.
Probably but life is too short to wast cycles worrying about it. If I see some $$ back then great....if not then I chalk it up to "I should of been paying better attention" :D

HB Vic
09-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Probably but life is too short to wast cycles worrying about it. If I see some $$ back then great....if not then I chalk it up to "I should of been paying better attention" :D

Scary to think what that would have done to one of those rubber band rim and tire deals 😳

Paul65K
09-16-2013, 11:01 AM
Scary to think what that would have done to one of those rubber band rim and tire deals 
The Mini Cooper wasn't too far from that actually......17" 40 series tires......good news is that they were runflats so the sidewall was much stiffer than a regular tire would have been :)

HB Vic
09-18-2013, 02:44 PM
So I hit the 40 South from Needles. There is a stretch that's pretty bad. Even in the Raptor with balloon tires it hits hard. And the unpaved sections of the #2 lane don't look like much fun. Especially if I had my baby in tow. Nice of them to warn us lol 18920

Joker
09-18-2013, 03:21 PM
So I hit the 40 South from Needles. There is a stretch that's pretty bad. Even in the Raptor with balloon tires it hits hard. And the unpaved sections of the #2 lane don't look like much fun. Especially if I had my baby in tow. Nice of them to warn us lol 18920

Those signs tell me to hold on for dear life.
BTW, if anyone goes out this weekend and those damn approaches aren't fixed, let me know and I'll let the Cal Trans guy know it's still there.