PDA

View Full Version : Insurance question......

Tishimself
09-15-2013, 10:18 PM
Pondering the idea of just insuring the boat for those months that I actually use it. Then canceling it out during the winter months and it is stored indoors under lock and key......do any of you guys do that?? I would save me a good sized chunk of change if I did do it....not sure though if it's a common practice.....your thoughts??

Patyacht
09-15-2013, 10:39 PM
Real common on the faster boats.

Bianca_Rose
09-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Pondering the idea of just insuring the boat for those months that I actually use it. Then canceling it out during the winter months and it is stored indoors under lock and key......do any of you guys do that?? I would save me a good sized chunk of change if I did do it....not sure though if it's a common practice.....your thoughts??

Depending your type of boat, there are policies offered with "lay up" periods which reduces the premium. Lay up can be anywhere from 3-6 months

GRADS
09-15-2013, 10:56 PM
Lay up periods are the way to go. Do not completely cancel your insurance! Lay up periods say you cant use the boat but if the building it's in catches fire it is still covered.
It also kind of depends on the boat. On my cat I had a lay up period of 5 months and it saved me about $3000 a year. On a single engine v-hull it might only save you $100-200 a year.

Bianca_Rose
09-15-2013, 10:59 PM
That is correct

hpboats83
09-16-2013, 09:18 AM

I love using my boat in the winter, so that wouldn't work for this crew

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

314joey
09-16-2013, 10:02 AM
If you have a loan on the boat, I'm sure the lender won't be too thrilled if they find out, but other than that is it worth while for the risk, what if the storage building burns down, lots of bad things happen now a days.

We can't, we boat all year so it doesn't make sense.

NRI
09-16-2013, 10:45 AM
When you elect to have a "Lay Up" it reduces the premium since there is no coverage for the when the boat is being used.However, if you have hull coverage, your boat is covered for physical damage such as theft or if a storage burns down during the lay up period.

NRI
09-16-2013, 11:03 AM
If you need further information on Boat Insurance or any other Insurance product please call 661-253-1131 for a free consultation. Bianca is an expert in Marine Insurance. NRI has a expert agent for your specific Insurance needs . feel free to call. Have a nice day.

:3:

Stainless
09-16-2013, 11:04 AM
When you elect to have a "Lay Up" it reduces the premium since there is no coverage for the when the boat is being used.However, if you have hull coverage, your boat is covered for physical damage such as theft or if a storage burns down during the lay up period.

Thanks for the clarification NRI.

redheadbitch
09-17-2013, 12:21 AM
If you need further information on Boat Insurance or any other Insurance product please call 661-253-1131 for a free consultation. Bianca is an expert in Marine Insurance. NRI has a expert agent for your specific Insurance needs . feel free to call. Have a nice day.

:3:
Thanks. Looking into gettin insurance but a lot of the insurance companies won't insure if over 30 years old.

Tishimself
09-17-2013, 11:30 PM
It's insured through Geico at the moment. Not too bad a policy, I have the performance plus rider on it which covers the outdrive... you can get so much more stuff outside Ca. as far as insurance is concerned...so the boat is stored over yonder to fulfill the requirements of the policy....I think I will call them in the am to see if they carry the coverage mentioned...

Bianca_Rose
09-19-2013, 03:32 PM
Thanks. Looking into gettin insurance but a lot of the insurance companies won't insure if over 30 years old.

The age is no problem. We provide insurance on many boats older than 30 years.

SummerO
09-19-2013, 08:12 PM
I don't know about your area, but my policy has a lay up period as those have mentioned. However if I want to take the boat out during the lay up period, I can call and get it insured for the dates I plan on using it at an additional cost.
Best of both worlds, especially if I want to haul the boat somewhere warm!