PDA

View Full Version : Look out Unemployment on the Rise in CA

Wendi
09-10-2013, 05:44 PM
3000 Wells Fargo employees laid off, will get paid through January. Is mortgage slowing down that much? About 57 Fresh and Easy stores to close. Didn't Fresh & Easy just open here around 2007?

McRib
09-10-2013, 06:20 PM
Wells fargo idk whats up. Fresh and easy is expensive. I can see why they may not be fairing well in cali. There are so many cheaper options.

RVR SWPR
09-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Fresh & Easy is a British Corp.Succesful over there,but mis-judged the market here.

Stainless
09-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Hate to hear this, hopefully other large companies don't follow suit. :(

riverrunner1984
09-10-2013, 06:48 PM
My fiance loves going to fresh and easy. Hope the one in Rancho doesnt close...
They opened too many too fast in my opinion.
Not a very good strategy.

Stainless
09-10-2013, 06:51 PM
My fiance loves going to fresh and easy. Hope the one in Rancho doesnt close...
They opened too many too fast in my opinion.
Not a very good strategy.

AZ guy here, what is Fresh and Easy?
My minds in the gutter, lol. :D

Wendi
09-10-2013, 06:54 PM
It's a smaller type grocery store kind of like traders but not as good. I've actually never been to one I prefer Sprouts. We have one in chino hills not sure of it will stay open.

stoker22405
09-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Have no fear...Our fearless leaders have it all under control.....!:coffee-n-news:

riverrunner1984
09-10-2013, 06:56 PM
AZ guy here, what is Fresh and Easy?
My minds in the gutter, lol. :D

LOL, mine is usually there.
It is a small grocery store with pretty much just the essentials. They have decent food at decent prices but not the hassle of the big chain stores. Everything is self check out and really efficient.
They also send a coupon every week in the mail which is usually 5 off ever 25 spent.

Here is a link.
http://www.freshandeasy.com/

ChumpChange
09-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Here's their best commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce7fAybk1Xg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

hpboats83
09-10-2013, 07:34 PM
I hate to see anybody unemployed during these crazy times we live in. I know how hard it is to get a job right now personally as well as seeing some of my family going through it right now

Stainless
09-10-2013, 07:40 PM
I hate to see anybody unemployed during these crazy times we live in. I know how hard it is to get a job right now personally as well as seeing some of my family going through it right now

Yea, it would not take much for things to be like it was 2 years ago. It's a fragile recovery taking place.

Wendi
09-10-2013, 07:50 PM
I was shocked about Wells Fargo because I thought the market was improving. My girlfriend works there and said things have slowed quite a bit. She's part of the 3000 who will no longer have a job mid OCT.

icb1
09-10-2013, 07:57 PM
A few months back i heard fresh and easy was pulling out of Ca and the feds raising the rates are going to slow down our recovery efforts

Mitch
09-10-2013, 08:03 PM
3000 Wells Fargo employees laid off, will get paid through January. Is mortgage slowing down that much? About 57 Fresh and Easy stores to close. Didn't Fresh & Easy just open here around 2007?

A couple years back they built a new free standing Fresh and Easy in Signal Hill and it never had a sole in it Trader Joes kicked its butt .

Stainless
09-10-2013, 08:07 PM
I was shocked about Wells Fargo because I thought the market was improving. My girlfriend works there and said things have slowed quite a bit. She's part of the 3000 who will no longer have a job mid OCT.

Suggest to your GF she hit the pavement early looking for a replacement job, in other words get out ahead of the other 2999.

Ziggy
09-10-2013, 08:08 PM
My SIL works for Wells Fargo, been trying to get back to Calif but there aren't any jobs(appraiser). She moved to Dallas area few years ago to take the job she has now.
Fresh and Easy has lots of prepared food/meals. Concept doesn't work well out west IMO because nobody walks to work here. I can see it working much better where mass transit/public transport is prevalent...metro areas. Heck, there are 4 within 15 minutes of my house and I've never set foot in one.

gn7
09-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Yea, it would not take much for things to be like it was 2 years ago. It's a fragile recovery taking place.

A few months back i heard fresh and easy was pulling out of Ca and the feds raising the rates are going to slow down our recovery efforts
The mortgage thing is down, because the employment in Cal sucks, and the employment in Cal sucks because Calif is NOT employer friendly. In fact it is down right employer hostile. Ratheon, one of the largest employers in the state is/has pulled stakes and moved to Texas. Amazon.com shut down all its offices in Calif, and moved them to Nevada. This administration has made it pretty clear that they are pro employee/anti employer. The state legislation is an over whelming Democratic legislation, and Brown has made it pretty clear he will sign virtually any piece if legislation they send him. The further the state goes in the hole, the more they tax and regulate and penalize business, the more they move out of state.

HB Vic
09-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Is this a political thread?? lol. Ok I'll play. Screw Fresh and Easy, and Screw Wells Fargo. But I say that with the utmost respect. The problem with California (actually you can insert almost any state here) is we don't make jack anymore. We're a culture and nation of shopping malls, restaurants, and coffee shops. We've lost our way. We use to be a world leader in manufacturing durable goods and a world leader in technology, now all we do is supervise, eat, drink and party. We've subcontracted our livelihood to 3rd world countries. We don't want to see manufacturing plants because they look horrible. We don't want power plants in our neighborhoods, but we sure as hell want the lights to come on when we flip that switch. So what do we do, we make other states build or operate plants and send the power across the state. We bitch and moan about that Chinese garbage, but we keep on buying it. We complain and gripe about American made cars for one reason or another so instead we buy imports. Then when our job(s) are shipped overseas or eliminated altogether, we scratch our heads in disbelief. Whoa is us. Rant over LOL. Carry on.

ChumpChange

That rate pop put a stop to all that. 10yr treasury was over 3.00 for the first time since 2011 last week. 1% hike correlating to 10% less buying power. Just when the SFR market was starting to get stupid again

<------- Glad I'm not a residential guy.

Stainless
Hear ya GN7, I hear some Cali buisiness's moving to Texas as well.
Where's Ronald Reagan? :)

Stainless
09-10-2013, 08:17 PM
No more calls, post 19 nailed it!

ChumpChange
09-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Our houses are too big to overpay for Fresh & Easy crap. I can save money by buying bulk because I have room to store a ridiculous amount of toilet paper. I have multiple refrigerators and freezers to buy large quantities of chicken and ice cream. Their business model works when people live in small flats/apartments and can't sore more than a couple days worth of food.

ChumpChange
09-10-2013, 08:24 PM
No more calls, post 19 nailed it!

Just needs to address our freebie society and government makes everybody feel they're more important than they really are through the minimum wage. We can't compete with labor.

I'll type up some great insight from business owners and friends when I see this thread while I'm behind a keyboard.

Mitch
09-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Is this a political thread?? lol. Ok I'll play. Screw Fresh and Easy, and Screw Wells Fargo. But I say that with the utmost respect. The problem with California (actually you can insert almost any state here) is we don't make jack anymore. We're a culture and nation of shopping malls, restaurants, and coffee shops. We've lost our way. We use to be a world leader in manufacturing durable goods and a world leader in technology, now all we do is supervise, eat, drink and party. We've subcontracted our livelihood to 3rd world countries. We don't want to see manufacturing plants because they look horrible. We don't want power plants in our neighborhoods, but we sure as hell want the lights to come on when we flip that switch. So what do we do, we make

other states build or operate plants and send the power across the state. We bitch and moan about that Chinese garbage, but we
keep on buying it. We complain and gripe about American made cars for one reason or another so instead we buy imports. Then
when our job(s) are shipped overseas or eliminated altogether, we scratch our heads in disbelief. Whoa is us. Rant over LOL. Carry
on.

Thank the EPA for that ...... California is done .

hpboats83
09-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Is this a political thread?? lol. Ok I'll play. Screw Fresh and Easy, and Screw Wells Fargo. But I say that with the utmost respect. The problem with California (actually you can insert almost any state here) is we don't make jack anymore. We're a culture and nation of shopping malls, restaurants, and coffee shops. We've lost our way. We use to be a world leader in manufacturing durable goods and a world leader in technology, now all we do is supervise, eat, drink and party. We've subcontracted our livelihood to 3rd world countries. We don't want to see manufacturing plants because they look horrible. We don't want power plants in our neighborhoods, but we sure as hell want the lights to come on when we flip that switch. So what do we do, we make other states build or operate plants and send the power across the state. We bitch and moan about that Chinese garbage, but we keep on buying it. We complain and gripe about American made cars for one reason or another so instead we buy imports. Then when our job(s) are shipped overseas or eliminated altogether, we scratch our heads in disbelief. Whoa is us. Rant over LOL. Carry on.

If you had a thanks button on here, I'd use it :-)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4