PDA

View Full Version : Catalina run

Menace Marine
08-12-2013, 12:23 PM
We are going to do a Catalina run this Saturday if any one is interested in joining. Probably launch out of Los alamitos harbor around 8 to 8:30. Then head to the island for a bit. We usually have an early lunch over there and then head back before it gets rough in the afternoon. Probably spend the rest of the day cruising the harbor and hangin out at the yard house. We have 4 or 5 boats going so far. It should be a good time.

HB Vic
08-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Sounds like a good time just waiting to happen. Wish we could make it. Rain check??

ChumpChange
08-12-2013, 02:04 PM
What boats do you have going so far? May have to make a call to a Cig owner.......

NRI
08-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Hey we have Vine 2 wine in Valencia at 6 so get us back in time, we`ll go. lol. Vine 2 Wine is a Breast Cancer fund Raiser for Circle Of Hope. So we in?

Menace Marine
08-12-2013, 06:01 PM
What boats do you have going so far? May have to make a call to a Cig owner.......

I will be in my 25 Daytona.
Rob will be in his 24 Htm.
We have two other 25 daytonas going and a 235 eliminator eagle.

Menace Marine
08-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Hey we have Vine 2 wine in Valencia at 6 so get us back in time, we`ll go. lol. Vine 2 Wine is a Breast Cancer fund Raiser for Circle Of Hope. So we in?

Don't think we will be back by then. Sorry.

Wendi
08-12-2013, 06:14 PM
I'm in cant wait

Wendi
08-13-2013, 11:39 AM
I must have a seat on the largest boat

Menace Marine
08-15-2013, 08:33 AM
Only two days away. Swell report looks good. 2-3 ft at 11 seconds apart last I checked. 10 mph winds and 65 degrees. Doesn't get much nicer than that.

Wendi
08-15-2013, 11:23 AM
Only two days away. Swell report looks good. 2-3 ft at 11 seconds apart last I checked. 10 mph winds and 65 degrees. Doesn't get much nicer than that.What's a bad swell report look like?

Menace Marine
08-15-2013, 12:38 PM
What's a bad swell report look like?

A bad swell report looks kind of like a good boob job. Big bumps without a ton of space between them.

Wendi
08-15-2013, 01:16 PM
A bad swell report looks kind of like a good boob job. Big bumps without a ton of space between them. OMG too funny.

Bianca_Rose
08-15-2013, 01:39 PM
I must have a seat on the largest boat

Meeeee too!

Wendi
08-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Meeeee too!I'm glad you are going, can't wait. We will have a seat on biggest boat, make sure to have life vests LOL! Wear your hotboat shirt!

NRI
08-15-2013, 01:50 PM
Have fun and be safe. :LMAOsmiley:

Bianca_Rose
08-15-2013, 01:57 PM
I'm glad you are going, can't wait. We will have a seat on biggest boat, make sure to have life vests LOL! Wear your hotboat shirt!

Of course mama Wendi, see you guys Saturday!

hbchgirl
08-15-2013, 01:57 PM
A bad swell report looks kind of like a good boob job. Big bumps without a ton of space between them.

Dustin you're hilarious!!! :hilarious:

Wendi
08-16-2013, 09:23 AM
Question: Have you guys done this run before, or are we all first timers?

HB Vic
08-16-2013, 09:46 AM

Wouldn't you like to know the answer to that question. LOL. $100 says they won't tell you. Can I bind a small insurance policy on the both of you??? :D

HB Vic
08-16-2013, 09:52 AM
Did you know when you get about 2-3mi out you can't see the shoreline at all, in any direction? It's the strangest sensation. Its almost like you're lost and the sharks are waiting to feast on your appendages. That is until one of these runs right over the top of you LOL 15005

Stainless
08-16-2013, 10:03 AM
Did you know when you get about 2-3mi out you can't see the shoreline at all, in any direction? It's the strangest sensation. Its almost like you're lost and the sharks are waiting to feast on your appendages. That is until one of these runs right over the top of you LOL 15005

Damn your being mean HB. :p

She's Mine
08-16-2013, 10:06 AM
I've done the a bunch of times when I had my Shockwave. It is an awesome trip... Once you can see the shoreline you just keep heading 180* on the compass (out of Los Alamitos Bay) and all of a sudden BAM, there she is... Avalon!!!

Here a little tip. If you run into a pod of dolphins slow down to about 10mph, they we swim right up to the boat and surf the wave off your bow. You can lean over and touch them. They'll even turn sideways and look right up at you... It is the coolest thing ever, having mother nature's creature play with you in their environment. Not too many people get to experience that and you will never forget it.

ChumpChange
08-16-2013, 10:07 AM
Did you know when you get about 2-3mi out you can't see the shoreline at all, in any direction?

Let's not forget when you're running perpendicular to the swells and drop into it where all you see is towering grey water to your left and right as you run on the bottom.

Wendi
08-16-2013, 10:13 AM
I'm not scared!! I heard that you can follow the Catalina Express and you will be fine :action-smiley-069::Lies:

HB Vic
08-16-2013, 10:15 AM
Let's not forget when you're running perpendicular to the swells and drop into it where all you see is towering grey water to your left and right as you run on the bottom.

Now you're trying to scare her. I didn't want to say anything about the possible 6-8' swells. But you're right, when you're little (relatively speaking) boat is at the bottom of the swell, the top of the swell looks like monster title waves. But then you usually, almost always, come out of them and then things are usually ok. :D

Wendi
08-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Now you're trying to scare her. I didn't want to say anything about the possible 6-8' swells. But you're right, when you're little (relatively speaking) boat is at the bottom of the swell, the top of the swell looks like monster title waves. But then you usually, almost always, come out of them and then things are usually ok. :D Well the great thing about all this is I can take the Catalina Express back if I feel my life is at risk, sucka!!!

HB Vic
08-16-2013, 10:20 AM
Well the great thing about all this is I can take the Catalina Express back if I feel my life is at risk, sucka!!!

If you get there, absolutely you can take the Express back. Its a real nice, big, safe, boat :D

GRADS
08-16-2013, 10:29 AM
Just curious, but how fast do you guys normally run when you're out there?

Wendi
08-16-2013, 10:44 AM
I'll have to let Menace answer that. This is my first time ever going to Catalina and in a boat driving across the ocean where you don't see any land. I think it would be in my best interest to drink a little something before heading out on the maiden voyage.

HB Vic
08-16-2013, 10:50 AM
I'll have to let Menace answer that. This is my first time ever going to Catalina and in a boat driving across the ocean where you don't see any land. I think it would be in my best interest to drink a little something before heading out on the maiden voyage.

A good way to prepare is by getting your sea legs early. Just take the smallest raft you have, throw it in your pool, and stand on it for a couple hours while Tay throws water balloons at you. Then slam a few Fireballs and a small bottle of Vodka and you'll be all set to go. But be sure to take a couple of large freezer bags with you. Keep them close. And a bit of sailor advice that was given to me when I started flying, take a few bananas with you. Bananas taste the same coming out, as they did going down :D

ChumpChange
08-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Now you're trying to scare her. I didn't want to say anything about the possible 6-8' swells. But you're right, when you're little (relatively speaking) boat is at the bottom of the swell, the top of the swell looks like monster title waves. But then you usually, almost always, come out of them and then things are usually ok. :D

Yeah you're right. The small boat I was talking about was a 60' Viking. Hope the boat she is on is bigger than that! It can get rough out there. ;)

As fast as possible. Unfortunately when you lose an engine on the way there due to it being so rough that the radio head unit falls backwards through the dash and takes out the starboard motor wires, sometimes you have to go slow. This happened on my last trip on LHC30's Advantage. Fortunately it was an easy fix after getting into Avalon. We tried to rewire while running but the minute you went into the midcabin, you'd feel sick.

I think it would be in my best interest to drink a little something before heading out on the maiden voyage.

Drinking so much that you Chum the water is a great way to attract sharks.

hbchgirl
08-16-2013, 11:06 AM
A good way to prepare is by getting your sea legs early. Just take the smallest raft you have, throw it in your pool, and stand on it for a couple hours while Tay throws water balloons at you. Then slam a few Fireballs and a small bottle of Vodka and you'll be all set to go. But be sure to take a couple of large freezer bags with you. Keep them close. And a bit of sailor advice that was given to me when I started flying, take a few bananas with you. Bananas taste the same coming out, as they did going down :D

Haha... great advice :thumb: :smileyvault-tomatoe:drown:

Wendi
08-16-2013, 11:32 AM
You guys are making me laugh today!!! Vic the life insurance policies are all paid to date, just make sure my kids get all the money!!!

HB Vic
08-16-2013, 11:39 AM
Farewell, and Fairwell :D

Bianca_Rose
08-16-2013, 12:08 PM
Well the great thing about all this is I can take the Catalina Express back if I feel my life is at risk, sucka!!!

Wendi...it's really fun!! Especially when the swells are big!:action-smiley-035:

WMC
08-16-2013, 12:20 PM
Wendi...it's really fun!! Especially when the swells are big!:action-smiley-035:

If Big swells are like BIG BOOBS I think I'll like it. :oops:

She's Mine
08-16-2013, 12:33 PM
The faster you go the smoother it is... I made it over there in 35 minutes once in a single engine 25' Tremor... The ocean will bring out who can drive and who just mashes the throttle... Those that know how to drive can air it out and be smooth...

Wendi, you can do what my parents use to do to me as a child... Tie a rope from your life vest to the boat. That way your body won't be lost at sea... Lol

Just remember, one hand for you and one hand for the boat!

HB Vic
08-16-2013, 12:55 PM
I think we still have a couple pair of arm floaties we can give you. They might make you feel better :D

Menace Marine
08-16-2013, 11:23 PM
Ya we've done it before. I did it in my 22 Daytona. There is even pictures and a thread about it on this site. We averaged about 40 on the way there and 60 on the way back last time. It is only scary because its different. Once you go once you will want to go again.

Menace Marine
08-16-2013, 11:24 PM
It's not to late if any other boats want to join in.

HB Vic
08-16-2013, 11:41 PM
Wendi is scared. She's gonna need a lotta vodka in the parking lot lol

Menace Marine
08-17-2013, 12:31 AM
Looks like a nice day.

ChumpChange
08-17-2013, 04:52 AM
Have fun and be safe!

WMC
08-17-2013, 06:40 AM
Leaving in a few min. Drinking starts at 8am
:eek:
Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Wendi
08-17-2013, 07:28 AM
I had a dream that I drove my car off the overpass into the ocean and drown does that mean anything?

Stainless
08-17-2013, 07:35 AM
Well, I'm envious and jealous of you guys, what more could you want on a nice Sat morning?