PDA

View Full Version : Something I recently learned....

niceguyeddie
10-25-2012, 01:32 PM
To fit 37" tires on my truck, I had to add torsion keys to my CST lift. I ordered a set of "lift keys" online and they were for a 1500 so I sent them back and received a full refund. So then I head over to Outlaw Off Road in Santa Ana and buy the correct set for a 2500. I get home open them up and they have GM part numbers all over them. I'm thinking what the hell? Did I just buy stock 2500 keys?

Well.... I Google the part numbers that lead me to a few threads on various truck forums. Turns out that the 1500 keys are all you need to "level" or lift a 2500. They are just angled differently. The way to tell them apart is 2500 are painted purple and 1500 are green.

So for all the guys spending money on these expensive aftermarket keys that I here break because they are not made with the best materials, get yourself some stock 1500 keys next time!

jordy
10-25-2012, 01:38 PM
There was an argument long ago on the OG Hot Boat about changing out the keys versus running up the torsion bars and how changing the keys didn't affect the ride like adjusting the bars did... It was a dumb conversation and the person failed to understand that changing the keys essentially is the same thing as running up the bars because of the different indexing of the holes... the truck won't get taller without giving some extra twist to the bars...

There are lots of offroad places selling the keys for a few hundred bucks when you can got to the dealer and get them for 1/3 of the price or less. I have even seen some that they ground the GM number off of and resold them. Gotta love it!!! :D

niceguyeddie
10-25-2012, 01:50 PM
There was an argument long ago on the OG Hot Boat about changing out the keys versus running up the torsion bars and how changing the keys didn't affect the ride like adjusting the bars did... It was a dumb conversation and the person failed to understand that changing the keys essentially is the same thing as running up the bars because of the different indexing of the holes... the truck won't get taller without giving some extra twist to the bars...

There are lots of offroad places selling the keys for a few hundred bucks when you can got to the dealer and get them for 1/3 of the price or less. I have even seen some that they ground the GM number off of and resold them. Gotta love it!!! :D

LOL

Yea ...so then I find out that my buddy had a stock 1500 set lying around so I didn't even need theses ones either! Gotta go get my money back. I paid $120 for stock Chevy 1500 keys at a lift shop that I could have bought for about half price from the dealer. Well... Next time I know! lol :)

Joker
10-25-2012, 02:00 PM
LOL

Yea ...so then I find out that my buddy had a stock 1500 set lying around so I didn't even need theses ones either! Gotta go get my money back. I paid $120 for stock Chevy 1500 keys at a lift shop that I could have bought for about half price from the dealer. Well... Next time I know! lol :)

With your money, I wouldn't worry about it.:chuncky:

niceguyeddie
10-25-2012, 02:29 PM
With your money, I wouldn't worry about it.:chuncky:

I own a jet boat, that knocks me down quite a bit though!

Stainless
10-25-2012, 02:45 PM
NGE, I want to put 285's on a '09 2500 4wd. They are 33", I am told the front will rub when turning. Any recommendation as to leveling or lift kit? What brand? Anyone else with knowledge chime in please.

jordy
10-25-2012, 02:52 PM
NGE, I want to put 285's on a '09 2500 4wd. They are 33", I am told the front will rub when turning. Any recommendation as to leveling or lift kit? What brand? Anyone else with knowledge chime in please.

When I first got my truck I went with 285's on 16x10's and they rubbed in corners and driveways. I ran the stock torsions all the way up and it was close, but I swapped the keys out and got that extra bit of clearance. Ran it that way for 80K and then went with a 6" lift and 35's. You can get the keys at the dealer, or even online (or from NGE's buddy apparently) and it's really not a tough job to do if you're mechanically inclined.

niceguyeddie
10-25-2012, 03:15 PM
I have a set of brand new set of GM keys (the one's you'll need) if you are interested. If not, I'll return them.

Kinda different application but years ago I stuffed 33" BFGs on my 1500HD. They rubbed on the washer fluid tank and on the fender liner. I cranked the piss out of the bars and it worked better. Shortly after I ended up putting 4" spindles on it and blocked the rear 2".

My 07.5 rubbed with 35s with a 6" lift. Just on the fender liner though.. A little trimming solved that issue.

I'd def go with the GM Keys. The aftermarket keys look like crap compared to the stock ones and I've read countless threads about the aftermarket keys failing. When you buy a CST or Cognito lift, they come with GM 1500 keys.

Stainless
10-25-2012, 03:36 PM
So, just the keys by themselves? Explain what you mean by stock GM keys, is that not what I have, or do the 1500 keys work better on the 2500. If what you have is a good way to go, I will buy yours.

niceguyeddie
10-25-2012, 03:42 PM
Yes sir. The index of the key is different. Putting the 1500 keys on a 2500 will give you the clearance you need. I'm not sure, but you might need longer front shocks or those extension tabs that come with aftermarket sets. Personally, I'd run a larger shock over using a tab.

I paid $120 plus tax for them. However I have a restocking fee of 25%. If you match that ($93.75) plus shipping (med flat rate box..about $10) they are yours. If not I'll just take them back.

jordy
10-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Yes sir. The index of the key is different. Putting the 1500 keys on a 2500 will give you the clearance you need. I'm not sure, but you might need longer front shocks or those extension tabs that come with aftermarket sets. Personally, I'd run a larger shock over using a tab.

I went with a longer shock, and an oil one at that... the 2500HD already is stiff enough so I went away from the gas shocks. I may still have them around here... will look and see.

10-25-2012, 03:49 PM
You guys and your lifted trucks.....:concern:

niceguyeddie
10-25-2012, 04:38 PM
You guys and your lifted trucks.....:concern:

I learned long ago that I may not be able to buy a bigger dick, but I can buy a big truck and let the women solve their own curiosity. Either way, I still win!

10-25-2012, 04:55 PM
I learned long ago that I may not be able to buy a bigger dick, but I can buy a big truck and let the women solve their own curiosity. Either way, I still win!

That's funny.

BTW I'm only running 325's on miine.....lol

niceguyeddie
10-25-2012, 05:10 PM
That's funny.

BTW I'm only running 325's on miine.....lol

Nice. I like those wheels!

I don't have any recent pics of my truck. I'll get one up next time I wash it. lol

Stainless
10-25-2012, 05:32 PM

I paid $120 plus tax for them. However I have a restocking fee of 25%. If you match that ($93.75) plus shipping (med flat rate box..about $10) they are yours. If not I'll just take them back.

I'll take them NGE, pm me how you want payment. If PayPal I will gift it, and send tonight when I get to computer.

niceguyeddie
10-26-2012, 12:51 AM
Cool. Pm sent

WMC
10-26-2012, 06:56 AM
Nice ... Making deals on Hotboat.

3pairs12
10-26-2012, 07:18 AM
Jordy when you ran your torsions all the way up was the camber really bad? I am running 315s on a 4" lift and rub sometimes when turning sharp out in the dirt. An extra inch or two would be perfect. How much did you gain before rekeying?

jordy
10-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Jordy when you ran your torsions all the way up was the camber really bad? I am running 315s on a 4" lift and rub sometimes when turning sharp out in the dirt. An extra inch or two would be perfect. How much did you gain before rekeying?

Honestly, I ran it with the torsions up and then rekeyed it and never even took it to an alignment shop and didn't have any tire wear issues. I was running 285 BFG muds too, which are a soft tire. I don't remember exactly how much it gained, but if I had to guess i would say somewhere around 4" or more. It went from being mildly stinkbugged to above level.

niceguyeddie
10-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Nice ... Making deals on Hotboat.

This might be the 1st transaction of the new site! whoo hoo! lol

iBoat
10-26-2012, 01:01 PM
Hell yeah history in the making!!!

2FORCEFULL
01-24-2014, 05:46 AM
I have a set of brand new set of GM keys (the one's you'll need) if you are interested. If not, I'll return them.

Kinda different application but years ago I stuffed 33" BFGs on my 1500HD. They rubbed on the washer fluid tank and on the fender liner. I cranked the piss out of the bars and it worked better. Shortly after I ended up putting 4" spindles on it and blocked the rear 2".

My 07.5 rubbed with 35s with a 6" lift. Just on the fender liner though.. A little trimming solved that issue.

I'd def go with the GM Keys. The aftermarket keys look like crap compared to the stock ones and I've read countless threads about the aftermarket keys failing. When you buy a CST or Cognito lift, they come with GM 1500 keys.

what kind of truck do ineed to buy to make these work?:action-smiley-069: